The Vampire Chronicles -- End...

By Talon07

More

Prologue: Endless
Ch.1: Arrival
Ch. 2: Crescent University
Ch. 3: Deja Vu
Ch. 5: I Won't Tell If You Won't
Ch. 6: Timeless Love
Ch. 7: The Valhahns
Ch. 8: The Valhahns (part 2)
Ch. 9: Where It All Began
Ch. 10: The Enemy of My Enemy Is Unfortunately My Friend
Ch. 11: Butterfly Effect
Ch. 12: Blood Feud-Magnus
Ch. 13: Blood Feud-Magnus (Part 2)
Ch. 14: Ashes To Ashes, Dust To Dust...
Ch. 15: Dance With the Devil of The Night

Ch. 4: Well Along Came an Angel. Well, Sort of...

75 1 1
By Talon07

Editor Note: This is quite sad... Talon was already iffy about the whole thing, but now he is starting to lose hope. If you read this and like it, please vote/comment/share. Enjoy!

***************************************************

The bell finally struck forth, alarming all of my senses to return back to reality. Hours had passed and I had not heard a word the professor was lecturing during class. Luckily the assignments he demanded for next week were written on the board and I quickly wrote them in a note pad. I gathered my belongings and soon departed from the gray building to see it was already dark. The stars shined brightly in the dark sky and a beautiful crescent moon showcased its brilliance. A chilling breeze blew past me and I quickly grasped my coat tightly, shivering. I needed to hurry back to the dorm and get warm. Otherwise Alibeth The Wise and Noble would surely hunt me down. 

I grabbed the guide book and looked at it carefully. I followed the designated trail to where it was guiding me. As I walked on, I glanced ahead. I could have sworn this was not the way I had come earlier, but the map said otherwise. I hope this map is updated. I continued on for several minutes, finding myself in a dark area with which I was not familiar, surrounded by gargoyles and angelic statues hanging from the walls. The winds began picking up quickly. There must be a storm approaching and I was going to be caught in it.

"...Creepy. I feel like I'm stuck in a horror film." I said as I felt the presence of another person... then several.

I turned around quickly to see four men lounging against the walls of the gargoyles and angels. Their attention pointed at me almost instantaneously. A tall, muscular man was approaching me with the sickest grin I had ever seen. 

"Why, hello there... Aren't you past your curfew?" He let out a howl of laughter and his goons all joined in. I choked up and found myself against the wall backing away as if there wasn't any room to move back to in the first place. He confidently walked my way and leaned in towards me. 

"What's the matter, darling? Cat got your tongue? We're not bad people, the boys and I. Think of us as... security, yeah. We're here to be sure you make it to your dorm safely." He smiled a devilish smile that made my stomach knot up. 

Security my ass. As if I'd fall for something so mediocre. I was blonde, not stupid. It was clear what they were planning. I didn't want to bother thinking of the details. I tried to scoot away but his massive arm slammed against the wall and blocked my path. I screamed, panicking.

"Ah... you're afraid. I told you we're here to escort you to your dorm safely. No need to scream. We'll be very gentle, I promise. Nothing bad will happen..." 

His lies were interrupted by a familiar voice I had heard many times in my dreams and earlier today. That same angelic voice broke the silence of the night.

 "You shouldn't feed innocent girls such ugly stories like that. It’s as embarrassing as it is seeing four grown idiots stalking around campus in the middle of the night prowling like hyenas. Have you no shred of dignity?" The young man said smooth and collected.

The entire gang's attention including my own had pointed towards the young man. The Giant, as I called him, had lost interest in me and walked ahead of his gang to confront the opponent. There the young hero stood, practically glowing in the moon's crescent light, smiling innocently. He looked past the men and straight at me. My cheeks flushed red as I took notice to him and those sparkling crimson eyes of his. Fear was in my eyes and he saw it clearly. He held a single finger out gesturing for me to wait. 

"This won't take long, I promise. Sit still and be patient with me please. I'll handle them quickly." He spoke confidently.

The Giant snorted at his comment and looked down upon the young hero. 

"Handle us? You'll handle us will you? Try handling getting your ass kicked, cocky little bastard!" 

The Giant swung his massive arm towards the young man with all his might going for his vulnerable neck. The reaction from the young man was incredible. He moved so swiftly it was as if he hadn't made a single motion of his body at all. The Giant's arm swung straight through the boy’s body like thin air. Was this some weird magic trick? This shocked the attacker as he went for another full swing of his fists, towering towards the younger fighter's head. The young fighter simply, if not gracefully, stepped forward a few paces where the fists did not slam upon him and he was within the Giant's chest area and swiftly delivered a single bone shattering blow that could be heard by all nearby spectators. Even at my distance, I had heard the Giant's rib cage crack in odd places as he collapsed face first to the ground with a loud thud. My eyes widened in disbelief from what I’d witnessed. Someone who was a fraction of a size to this massive beast had immobilized him in a single hit. The remaining three stood there flabbergasted and shuddered in fear. Clearly they had never seen anyone take down the big boss of theirs. 

"Such a pity... I didn't mean to strike with that much force. Should have held back more." The young man said with a gleeful smile upon his face as he then turned his attention towards the rest of the remaining crew now, his crimson eyes shimmering in the moonlight. "I guess I will definitely have to hold back my strength on you remaining three. You're far frailer than he is and one mistake might kill you. This can easily be avoided if you all simply run away and never return to this campus. I promise not to hunt you down." He gave an innocent grin as he awaited their response. 

The three remaining goons did not hesitate to take their opportunity to escape certain doom and fled wailing. Soon their screams faded into the darkness. It was just us now, alone. He looked down at the giant he had defeated so easily and walked past him, headed my direction. I was hyperventilating in fear, pushing myself further back against a wall that obviously was not giving in to my panic. He looked undeniably like he did in my dreams. Every bit of him screamed danger and I was not taking the chances I had taken within my dream world. He saw my terror and stopped in his tracks holding his hand out with a peaceful expression.

 "It's alright. I won't hurt you, I swear. Please calm down." He pleaded, I rejected his plea instinctively. 

"How do I know that? For all I know you're just like them. No, worse... I know you are." I didn't realize I was clenching my chest. My heart was racing out of control. My nightmare was literally standing in front of me. The men in my dream were real as well. This was deja vu all over again. I was trying to anticipate his next move. He deliberated his next action cautiously as if trying to read my thoughts, his expression a serious demeanor.

"You have me confused with something totally surreal. I came just at the right time." He tried to explain. I denied that as well. 

"Oh really? You were in such a rush to leave earlier. Do I smell that horrid to you? I was bewildered about it all class period. What did I ever do to you? Then you're suddenly here when it was certain I'd be raped or even murdered. It doesn't add up. The dreams are becoming reality. Who are you really?" My voice cracked under pressure. Too many thoughts were going through my head. None of this was making sense. Just what the hell is going on in this weird town?

"My name is Salem Valhahn. I'm sorry for my earlier behavior. I rushed out of the room because whatever you had on flared my allergies and became overwhelming. I have a sensitive nose. I'm sorry I couldn't explain it earlier. I promise it was not because you had a smell I did not like," He explained. 

-Truthfully, it was the exact opposite. Salem was intoxicated by her very scent.- 

"Please forgive my rudeness. I am also out tonight because I was headed back home and I take this route all the time. I don't live on campus. I was just as surprised as you were when those pathetic fools tried to hurt you. So yes, I got here at the right time." He smiled at me assuring he was telling the truth. I couldn't help but feel relaxed when I saw that perfect smile. I still had one more question.

"Why are your eyes red? They're as crimson as blood. No human'seyes are that color." I pointed out.

He gave a guilty smirk at the question and made a quick response.

"Contacts" he replied almost instinctively. Like that was the first excuse he used every time someone would ask the obvious. That only irritated me more. I knew he was trying to avoid the subject. 

"Don't try to avoid the question... Answer me."  I ordered.

He sighed heavily then confessed. 

"Alright... Look my eyes have been like this since birth, alright. I know it's weird, but I inherited these eyes from my grandfather. His eyes were like this due to a mutation in the war he served in that dealt with some experiment involving him. He was captured and enslaved by his captives. He was a lab rat in the Great Depression and God knows what tormenting experiments they put him through during the war... Whatever it was they did to him, it resulted in him having those crimson eyes you now see before you. He died several months ago before I was accepted to Crescent Meadows University. He was everything to me... A weird story yes, but it's up to you to believe it or not. I hate telling it because regardless, no one believes me... And why should you?" He turned away now hurt by my accusations. I felt guilty now. I was now just another person who assumed he was lying about the history of his eyes. 

"...I'm sorry. It's just... I've been having these strange nightmares." I admitted shamefully.

He turned slightly, now intrigued. 

"Nightmares?" He questioned. His voice was smooth and slightly seductive. 

"Yeah... It's so strange. You'll probably think I'm crazy." I said turning away. How could he possibly believe he was the one I saw in my dreams? 

"Try me. I'm an excellent listener and open minded. Please?" He looked at me compassionately still keeping his distance which I respected. I was still a bit unstable. I turned to meet his gaze upon me. Those crimson eyes no longer had the murderous intent I had seen in my dreams. They were begging me to tell him my secrets. To trust in him... and I did. How could I resist him now after his heroism and gentle sentiment? 

"Well... I started having these dreams when I was coming into the border of Crescent Meadows. I dreamed about this entire event. The men who tried to hurt me, you coming to rescue me..." I hesitated and choked up with the last sentence. He took great notice when I frowned. 

"Go on..." He said patiently. 

"Then... you attacked me... You took hold of me and... bit me." I realized I was rubbing the right side of my neck where he attacked in my dreams. "Right here. It was so quick I hadn't realized you bit me until it was too late." 

His eyes flickered as if amazed by my detailed dream of him. He smiled showing those icy white perfect teeth of his. I was aware enough to realize he did not bear the killer fangs from my dreams and it calmed me more.

"Why are you smiling? You think this is funny don't you? I should have never-"  

"I believe you. Every word. It would seem you have an incredible gift. You may very well have the All Seeing Eyes. A rare gift indeed." He admitted. He smiled even brighter than before. He seemed to be amazed but he held his laughter for the sake of my feelings. He then took one step forward cautiously looking at me gently with those crimson eyes of his... more beautiful than rubies themselves. 

"May I please?" He spoke so softly, his voice was barely a whisper, but I had caught his gesture already before he spoke and nodded my head once, giving him permission. He continued his graceful stride towards me and I watched his every move. He walked as if his feet weren't even touching the ground, like he was gliding with the wind. His footsteps made not even the slightest sound as they touched the cement. I hadn't realized I was paying so much attention to his movements that he was already standing inches in front me. I jumped slightly as he placed his hand gently upon my right shoulder. His hands were as cold as ice. Colder than the temperature outside where we stood. He wore no jacket which was odd, but it made sense that his body would be so cold. His touch despite its chilling sensation, was very calming. 

"Sorry. I had forgotten you were still a little on edge. It's cold out here and you're getting pale. Let’s take this somewhere else shall we? Your dorm seems nice as I'm sure it is where you must have been headed." He smiled gesturing if not teasing. Then I had realized who was there and may have already sent a search party. 

"Alibeth! She's going to kill me for being this late. She's probably worried sick." I was completely anxious as I looked from left to right searching for which way was my dorm. Salem effortlessly took hold of my frantic face, with one finger, and gently directed it toward his own, then to the direction of his right, smiling. My eyes shifted back to his. My face flushed a deep red and this was not due to the cold. My heart was pounding inside my chest when he touched me. 

"I believe your dorm is that way. We should hurry then. Strong winds are coming this way and chilling gusts don't seem to be your friend. Let's leave here..." He offered.

I was completely mesmerized by Salem. Everything from his touch, his voice, his stare, and even his scent, which I had just taken notice, was incredibly irresistible...then I heard the click. 

My eyes held terror as they looked past Salem and towards who I believed was unconscious. The Giant, whom Salem had defeated earlier lying on the ground, now held a pistol towards Salem's vulnerable back. Before even I realized what I'd done, I was already in front of Salem, arms extended as if to shield him. Then there was a loud piercing bangthat cried out. I immediately closed my eyes already believing I would die. Well if it happens, it happens. I can say I saved someone's life. 

But I didn't feel anything. I opened my eyes slowly to see Salem in front of me instead. His shirt turning from snow white to the crimson of his eyes. It spread all over as he dropped slowly to his knees, falling to the ground. I was in complete shock. My body was frozen in fear as I heard a second click. This time I knew the bullet would hit its mark and nothing I said or did would change anything. This man would have his revenge. I then began losing my vision. Everything went hazy and blurred. I was short of breath and then darkness... within that darkness, a loud, thundering bang...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

537 84 9
"I am about to set you a challenge, Miss Jones, one that has very real life and death consequences." Andromache Jones is a tarot-reading witch from t...
314 138 18
" You can't deny the fact that God wants to use you Elizabeth work for...." " Get out!" she said in a low voice. " Eliza....." " I said get the fuck...
934K 24.7K 61
Vivienne didn't believe in vampires until she started to suspect her prince might be one. Which will she sacrifice - humanity or love? ...