Aramora

By Medianoki

(Imperium Saga, Book 2) Naomi Morris lives an average, boring teenage life. That is up until a strange old ma... More

Chapter 1: Rift in the Clouds
Chapter 2: No Man's Land
Chapter 3: What Lies Beyond
Chapter 4: Shifting Forces
Chapter 5: Emissaries
Chapter 6: Live Today
Chapter 7: The City of Thieves
Chapter 8: Innocence
Chapter 9: Outside the Walls
Chapter 10: Rat
Chapter 11: The Fragment
Chapter 12: Narvadin
Chapter 13: No One is Innocent
Chapter 15: Kept in the Dark
Chapter 16: Calm Waters
Chapter 17: Nobility in Spirit
Chapter 18: Small Piece of a Big Game
Chapter 19: Worth Fighting For
Chapter 20: Memories
Chapter 21: Was it Worth it?
Chapter 22: Side Quest
Chapter 23: Invitation
Chapter 24: Sowing the Seed
Chapter 25: Fallible
Chapter 26: The Warrior's Test
Chapter 27: Restoring Honor
Chapter 28: Trial of Courage
Chapter 29: Trial of Aptitude
Chapter 30: Trial of Honor
Chapter 31: Teeth and Blood
Chapter 32: Cursed With a Blessing
Chapter 33: Waves and Sand
Chapter 34: Die Tomorrow
Chapter 35: The White Wolf
Chapter 36: Prophet
Chapter 37: See You Soon

Chapter 14: The Heart

33 4 0
By Medianoki

Beautiful artwork made by Randompeephere <3

__________________________________________________

Once Naomi is sure Synthara isn't coming back anytime soon, she turns her downward gaze up towards Malachi with a hurt glare and a frown.

Why would he have said that? She gets that he doesn't like her, Lavern, and Nesosa all that much, but to go as far as to not care about her even a little bit? Did all those times they annoyed the hell out of each other mean nothing?

"What the fuck is wrong with you? Why did you say that?" she snaps and deepens her glare. Malachi looks over at her and returns the glare with one of his own. He sees the hurt and all-around betrayal in her eyes that he can't quite place.

"Say what?" he asks.

Naomi scoffs and shakes her head. "Oh, I don't know. Does 'she's not my friend' and 'no, I don't care' ring any bells?"

Malachi opens his mouth to speak, but she cuts him off. "I mean, I know I annoy you a lot. And yes, my vocabulary is kinda... unique. But I thought we were at least friends." She looks down and shifts to face away from him as best she can with the restraints.

He goes to speak again, but again she interrupts. "I guess Lavern was right after all about Aramora. No one cares about anything but themselves here and you're no exception. You're still just a grumpy old man who couldn't care less about what happens to those around you so long as you get whatever it is you want in the end."

As he goes to speak once more, she nearly cuts him off again, but he raises his voice enough to make her stop. "Can I speak now?" he growls.

Naomi shrugs and keeps her head turned away. "Sure. Why the fuck not," she mumbles begrudgingly.

Malachi sighs. "Nothing I do is without reason. I had hoped you'd have come to see that by now, but I've been proven wrong," he starts.

"I won't sit here and try to justify myself to you when you should be able to figure it out on your own. I will, however, say this much. In all the years I've lived, I've come to realize that a man's greatest weakness is the people and things he chooses to love and care for."

Naomi turns her attention back to him and her anger slightly lessens. "What do you mean?" she asks curiously. Malachi leans back, the dancing flames of the campfire cast an orange glow over his face and reflect in his eyes, accenting the soft creases in his pale skin.

"The moment you said you cared for me; I had a blade to my throat. This got you to tell the cat what she wanted to know. She exploited a weakness in you because you were too naïve to see what game she was playing." He looks at the table that contains all the items the spies had relieved from them. Specifically, he stares at his leather notebook that just slightly sits off the edge.

"But I cannot blame you, as I was just as naïve many years ago." He lets out a sad chuckle.

Naomi tilts her head and glances at the book. "You were? How?" she asks.

The old man sighs again and his eyes never leave the book. "I have told you of my friend... the one who went missing all those years ago. But... I never mentioned that his disappearance was partially my fault. No... mostly mine." He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

"...I don't even know if he's alive or not. Everyone keeps telling me to move on. To finally let go and stop carrying on as though I'm immortal, just waiting for the answers I've been seeking since I was young. But I won't stop until I know for sure." He looks at the book again, in the flame's reflection in his emerald eyes lies an untold story.

Naomi has to stifle her excitement at finally having this callous, mysterious old man finally opening up to her. "Your friend... what was he like?" she asks.

Malachi cracks a small smile to himself. He looks away from the book and stares at the fire. She thinks that this is the first time since meeting him that she has ever seen him smile. It's a strangely heartwarming sight, despite knowing that he can be a real asshole at times.

"He was... an infuriatingly perfect bastard." He chuckles and shakes his head. "He was a master with a lute. His voice could charm any dame who heard it. He was the gem of Ecrin, growing up. Always doing good and helping people, never asking for anything in return. He was smart. He could read all day and never grow tired. And then there was me, living in his shadow." He sighs.

Naomi eyes him quizzically. "How so?" she asks.

Malachi shrugs and keeps his smile. "Everyone just assumed he was friends with me out of pity for the 'poor orphan boy', but that wasn't true. We were inseparable. And even though he was the star of the story, I didn't mind one bit being his best friend. I was never cut out for being in the spotlight anyway," he explains. Naomi smiles and relaxes back against the wooden post she's tied to.

"You really like talking about him, don't you?"

"Huh? What do you mean?" Malachi looks over at her.

She shrugs. "You're smiling. I've never seen you do that before."

Malachi chuckles again and nods, returning his gaze to the fire. "Yeah... I guess I do. The memories of him... they're what keep me going. And knowing that I may see him again one day... that's something to smile about."

Naomi's smile grows as she stares at him. "Your friend... what was his name? I don't think you've ever said," she asks curiously.

Malachi closes his eyes for a brief moment and takes a refreshing deep breath, smiling as though he can see his friend's face behind his closed eyelids. He slowly opens his eyes again and meets hers.

"His name was Colin. Colin Lee."

__________________________
_______________

Many years ago.

Fifteen-year-old Malachi looked around the dark streets of Ecrin while the moon shone brightly in the night sky overhead. With a smile of mischief worn across his face, he strolled down the cobblestone road with one hand in his pocket and the other swaying carelessly at his side, snapping his fingers to the beat of the latest song he heard the bard play from the window of the tavern.

Being mindful of the guards on patrol who would annoyingly ask him where his parents are if they catch him alone at this time, he ducked behind the wall of the city bakery and carried on in the direction of his goal.

He finally reached the house. It was humble, made from stone bricks and wooden boards, shutters over the windows, and lively green vines crept up along the side of the building. Lucky for him, the vines latched on and extended up to the window on the second floor he aimed to reach.

With a crack of his knuckles and a spit in his hands, he rubbed them together and latched onto the vines, and began hauling himself up towards the window. Carefully minding his foot placement, he stepped only in the groves in the stone wall and the occasional sturdy vine loop.

He pulled himself up until he made it to the closed window, giving one final haul to sit on the edge of the windowsill while still holding onto the vines. He cracked a grin at his masterful climbing and gave a soft but firm knock on the window. He sat as he waited, hearing frantic shuffling from inside.

He chuckled and rolled his eyes when at last the window slid open and the boy poked his head out. With his dark grey, almost black hair, pale skin that nearly glowed in the moonlight and his sparkling emerald eyes trained innocently on Malachi, he could, for a brief moment see what the dames of Ecrin are so attracted to.

Colin let out a nervous sigh. "Malachi... are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, sneaking out? I've never done this bef—" Malachi held a finger to his lips and smirked.

"Colin, you worry too much. You need to live a little. Trust me, I promise it'll be worth it after a whole night of drinking and singing down at the tavern."

Colin frowned and grabbed Malachi's wrist, pulling his finger off his mouth. He gave his hand a cautious sniff. "Did you spit in your hands again?" He cocked a brow.

Malachi shrugged and pat his friend on the back. "It helps me climb."

Colin grimaced and nearly gagged. "You're repulsive," he grumbled and sighed as he let go of his wrist. "Just give me a second to grab my lute..." He ducked back inside and rushed across his room, then returned with his polished rosewood lute strapped to his back.

"Okay... now how do we get down?"

Malachi grinned confidently and moved aside, turning around and grabbing onto the vines again. With a sly wink at his anxious friend, he expertly began swinging his hands from vine to vine until he neared the bottom of the wall and let himself drop the rest of the way. He landed gracefully, then turned and looked up at Colin who waited in the window.

"You've got this, buddy." He crossed his arms and leaned his back against the wall. Colin timidly crawled out the window and latched onto the vines for dear life.

While Malachi waited, he pulled a pipe from his coat pocket and lit it up, puffing out smoke and feeling a small buzz fill his head from the fumes of the shimmergrass. He was using the last of his supply, but he knew the right people to get more in his hands in no time.

Once he finished his pipe, he heard a sudden snap and didn't even turn his head as Colin let out a muffled yelp and fell face-first to the dirt in front of him. Malachi simply chuckled and pushed off from the wall, offering a hand to his flimsy friend.

Colin groaned and took his hand, letting him help him up. Malachi grinned. "And people say that you're the graceful one," he teased. Colin scoffed and pulled his hand back, crossing his arms and pouting irritably in a way that reminded Malachi of a pissed-off kitten.

He sighed and looked around. "Ready to go?" he asked.

Colin nodded and scratched the back of his head. "I'm already this far. Can't exactly go back now."

Malachi pat him on the shoulder and smiled. "Just follow me. You won't regret this," he said and turned to run off towards the street. Colin brushed the dirt off himself and nervously bit his lip as he followed his friend into the night city.

Malachi walked, still snapping his fingers to the beat of the bard song and humming merrily while Colin tried to keep up while also keeping his eye out for guards or anyone who could get him in trouble with his parents. Not because they would be mad at him, but because he knew they already think that Malachi is a bad influence on him. But he didn't care. They have always balanced each other out and it was unlikely that was going to change anytime soon.

Malachi led him to the main plaza of Ecrin and stopped to stare at the tavern. Colin caught up and looked at it and saw the patrons occasionally enter and exit, and the tavern owner stood outside to check everyone who passed by.

Colin went to give Malachi a nervous glance, only to see that Malachi had already started walking up to enter the tavern. Colin sighed and rushed after him.

As they approached the door, the tavern owner stopped them by holding out his hand in front of the door. Inside, they could hear lively music and smell that sweet scent of ale. The tavern owner, with his massive ginger beard, bald head, and his sturdy build, his presence made even Malachi a bit uneasy and made Colin stand awkwardly at his side, tightly gripping his lute strap.

"Hold it there. No kids are allowed inside without parental supervision after dark. I'm afraid you'll have to go elsewhere," the tavern owner stated.

Malachi frowned. "But what if I don't have parents? I feel like I should get a pass for that." He crossed his arms and leaned on one hip.

The tavern owner shook his head. "Sorry, kid. Rules are rules," he said. Malachi sighed and turned around to see a look that holds a mixture of disappointment and relief on Colin's face.

With a smirk, Malachi grabbed his friend's wrist and dragged him away from the tavern as a few more patrons are welcomed in by the owner.

He dragged him to the side of the building before letting him go. Colin chuckled nervously. "Oh well, it looks like we can't get in. Darn. I guess I should just head home now..." He turned around, but Malachi grabbed him by his shoulders and turned him back, pushing him against the wall of the tavern.

"You're not going anywhere. I promised you a night of fun, and we never break promises to each other. Just... wait here. I've got an idea." He grinned and let him go, peeking around the corner.

Colin sighed and nodded before sitting down on the stone ground. Malachi rushed to the back of the tavern and out of his sight, while Colin stayed seated and hummed a gentle tune to himself as he waited for his friend to return.

Malachi came back in a hurry, wearing a proud grin and carrying a case of ale and a case of wine. Colin eyed him suspiciously and stood up, once again brushing himself off.

"What did you do?" He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at him.

Malachi held up the cases. "Suckers left the window to the back room open. I figured they wouldn't miss a few bottles." He winked.

Colin gasped and looked around timidly. "You stole them?!" he whispers sharply.

Malachi shrugged. "Why not? Now come on, I've got an even better idea than a night at the tavern," he said and took a few steps back from the wall, sizing up the height of the building. The back half of the tavern's roof is flat, and not terribly far up.

He smirked and tossed the cases onto the roof before cracking his neck to the sides and sprinting at the wall, kicking off it and climbing up easily. He turned around and reached his hand down for Colin to take. He sighed and hesitantly complied, grabbing his friend's hand and letting him pull him up onto the roof.

Once the boys were situated, sitting across from each other with cases of ale and wine, Malachi pulled out a bottle of ale and popped it open, taking a long swig that ended in a refreshing sigh. He smiled and held it out to Colin.

He eyed the bottle apprehensively but took it anyway. He gave it a short sniff that makes his face scrunch up. Seeing Malachi's eager expression, he lifted the bottle to his lips and took a big drink. He immediately slammed the bottle down and burst into a fit of coughing and gagging, making Malachi laugh hysterically and take the bottle back, taking another big drink.

"...You..." Colin coughed. "...actually drink that?!"

"Hell yeah! This is the good shit. You just have weak tastebuds." Malachi cackled and took another drink. Colin shuddered and coughed again, trying to shake the feeling.

Malachi offered him a bottle of red wine instead and he eyed it curiously. "This had better not kill me..." He took the bottle and pulled out the cork. With another suspicious sniff, he took a small sip of the wine, and his face shifted to contemplation.

Malachi chuckled. "Better?" he asked.

Colin cocked a curious brow and took another sip that soon became a long draught. When he lowered the bottle, he cleared his throat and smiled. "Much better. I think I'll stick with wine from now on."

"'From now on', huh? Does that mean this is gonna be a regular thing? Drinking ale and wine on the roof of the tavern?" Malachi leaned back on his arms and took another drink of ale.

Colin shrugged. "Maybe. I mean... the city and sky do look beautiful at night. I wouldn't mind seeing it more," he said and took a sip from his wine.

They look over the city of Ecrin with its streetlights and lit-up windows illuminating the dark shadow cast from the night sky. The shining stars dotted the infinite blackness, and the moon glowed to light up the dark, painting the sky a navy blue, the few clouds tinted turquoise. They could hear the soft music coming from the tavern below them, but it was too muffled to hear clearly.

Hearing it gave Malachi a thought, and he turned his gaze to Colin. "The only thing we're missing is some music." He grinned. "Play something."

Colin chuckled nervously and looked away. "Well, I would, but I don't see any dames nearby to serenade." He looked around as if expecting to see some ladies waiting on the hills to hear him sing.

Malachi laughed and pretended to swoon, jokingly raising his voice a few octaves. "Oh, my handsome, dashing, brave, talented Mr. Lee. Won't you please grace me with hearing you strum your lute ever so elegantly and your voice like a gentle wisp to keep me warm at night?" He sighed with mock longing and pretended to faint into Colin's arms.

Colin just rolled his eyes and shoved him away. "You forgot intelligent. But I guess I should expect that by now." He chuckled and sighed. "What do you wanna hear?"

"The one about Aramora and the Dev'al Ordon," Malachi answered automatically.

Colin nodded and pulled his lute off his back, holding it in his lap with his hands on the strings and his eyes closed. He took a deep breath and began strumming the elegant flow of the song. He looked so serene as he began to sing.

"Can you feel the heart, that beats within our home? It's there to remind us, that all life has a soul," his smooth voice carried the melody beautifully.

Malachi had always hated bards, but for some reason, he just loved the way Colin sings and plays. It was hard to describe, but something about him was very unlike most bards he would see in taverns and streets. He was the only person he knew who was somehow so normal, it made him unique.

"Can you feel the heart, that beats within our home? Can you hear it weeping, as the beat, begins, to slow?" He took another deep breath.

"Here we stand, united. By an order, left, divided. The Dev'al Ordon, takes, everything it wants. And leaves us, all, begging them to stop."

"But they don't stop, telling us the lies, that sew, into our minds. Not letting us see, that we are all blind." He opened his eyes and stared off distantly over the city.

"More and more, with each day, Aramora slips away. I can feel its heart, beat. I hear it start to fade..." He sighed and closed his eyes again.

Malachi listened closely and leaned forward on his arms. He was a terrible singer, always had been. His gruff voice does him no favors, but that didn't stop him from singing along.

"Can you feel the heart, that beats within our home? It's there to remind us, that all life has a soul." Colin kept his eyes closed, but cracked a smile at Malachi trying to sing along.

"Can you feel the heart, that beats within our home? Can you hear it weeping, as the beat, begins, to slow?" He kept strumming, but before he could go into the second verse, the boys heard shouting coming from the street beneath them. It was the voice of the tavern owner.

"Fuckin' kids! You stole from me!"

Colin quickly threw his lute onto his back and the two stood up. He looked nervously to Malachi, who held not one bit of fear on his face. Without a word, Malachi grabbed his hand and the two sprinted across the length of the roof.

Colin timidly shook his head and tried to stop as they neared the edge, but Malachi kept his grip tight.

"Malachi... no!" he shouted, but it was too late to stop before Malachi leapt off the side of the roof, pulling Colin with him.

They landed on the cobblestone street. Colin stumbled to regain his footing as the wine was swirling around his head and making him dizzy. Malachi helped him steady himself and they turned to see the tavern owner sprinting at them with a butcher knife in his hand.

"Malachi!" Colin squeaked.

Malachi laughed and turned around, taking Colin's hand again and running in the opposite direction as the furious bearded man.

He chased them through the streets with surprising resilience. Malachi kept going strong, but felt Colin breathing heavily and beginning to falter.

He didn't have time to think of a plan to help him before Colin tripped on a loose stone and collapsed to the road, out of breath. As he fell, his lute broke from hitting the rocks.

Malachi gasped and ran back for him. As he reached his fallen friend, the tavern owner grabbed Malachi by the collar of his shirt and held the knife to his face. "You bloody street rat should know better than to rob me!" he rasped, his breath reeks of booze and shimmergrass.

Colin looked up at the scene with terror in his eyes. His hands trembled, but he knew he had to do something. Before he could convince himself otherwise, he sprang off the ground and went to throw a punch across the tavern owner's jaw, but as his fist made contact with the man's face, his hand suddenly began to glow with green wisps, specks of light radiating off his skin.

The man's head was engulfed by the glow and he unconsciously released Malachi and dropped the knife. Malachi scrambled to get behind Colin, who was standing there, staring at the man in fear while also positioning himself protectively in front of his friend.

The man blinked a few times before shaking his head and looking between the two boys. He chuckled harmlessly. "What are you boys doing out in the streets so late? You should probably be home, in bed. It's not safe at this time." He smiled and looked down, picking up his knife.

"Especially when people leave weapons laying around like this." He shrugged and waved to the boys. "You two have a good night." He nodded and turned around, walking back towards the tavern as if nothing had happened.

Once he's gone, Colin shakily stared down at his hands and watched the green glow disperse. Malachi jumped off the ground and grabbed Colin's shoulder, forcing him to turn around and look at him.

"Colin, what the fuck did you do?!"

Colin tried to breathe steadily, but all he accomplished were shuddering fits of air leaving his lungs. "I... I don't know... what just... I..." He held his hand over his heart as he felt it beating out of his chest.

"...I just... I just used magic!" Colin held his hands over his chest together as he tried to calm down unsuccessfully.

Malachi growled and grabbed him by his shoulders and covered his mouth, pulling him aside and into a secluded spot between two buildings.

"Quiet! If the Dev'al Ordon finds out you have magic, they'll take you away! They'll force you to join them!" He shook his head. "You can't tell anybody about this, okay? No one but us can know. Not even your parents. Got it?" Malachi stared pleadingly into his eyes.

"I..." Colin couldn't find the words. He cleared his throat and forced himself to nod and lower his hands. He took a deep breath. "Yes. I understand..."

Malachi sighed with relief and let him go. "Good... you're all I have, Colin... I can't imagine losing you to the redcloaks... I need you." He turned his gaze away and wiped at his eyes.

Colin looked down and threw on as convincing a smile as he could muster. "They won't take me away from you. No matter what, I will always be here," he said. Malachi wrapped his arms around himself and sniffled.

"Do you promise?"

Colin nodded and pulled him into a hug. "Of course..." he whispered. Malachi returned the embrace and Colin smiled into his shoulder.

"Everything is going to be okay. I promise."

________________________________
__________________

Present-day.

"We tried keeping his magic a secret... but it wasn't long before the High Order caught wind of what we were hiding. The longer his magic was kept suppressed, the more out of control it became. They took him to the Divine Temple one day, and I rarely ever saw him for years after that... He and I knew there was nowhere to hide from the Dev'al Ordon. Not in Aramora, anyway... So we met up one night and made a plan." Malachi turns his gaze away from Naomi and back to the fire.

"What was it?" she asks with great intrigue, too invested to come up with a witty remark.

"By the time he came of age, he wanted out, and I had nothing to lose. He told me everything he learned from his time as a disciple in the order. He told me these impossible things about... barriers, rifts, other continents outside our own that are like completely new worlds. I found it hard to believe, but he was sure of it so I went along."

"He told me that Athemar tasked him with retrieving one of these rifts from the city of Eelry and returning it to the Divine Temple. So, he and I planned to meet up in Eelry when he would have the rift, and together we would go through it to find a new life wherever it took us. He went ahead, and I waited until the night to follow. But when I got to the city... When I stood at the gates... all I could see were the fires. The smoke rising from behind the walls... and the Drynthar as it flew off into the night..." He closes his eyes and takes an unsteady deep breath.

Naomi sighs wistfully, seeing the mournful illustration plastered across his face, the burden weighing down on him that he finds through remembering that moment. The moment he knew he had lost his best friend, never knowing what truly happened.

"...Without even waiting for the fires to die down, I ran in. I went to the church where he told me to meet him, but when I got there and pushed the charred debris away... all that was left was the shattered shell of the rift. No body, no signs of a struggle. Nothing. He was just gone." He opens his eyes and looks at her again.

The untold story in his eyes has been told, and she sees the unseen part of him buried deep in his heart as it rises to the surface.

Naomi nods her head slowly as she finally understands. "So that's why you hate Athemar... because he keeps telling you that Colin was killed in Eelry, and that you should move on... and if the Drynthar really is being controlled by the Dev'al Ordon, then..." Her eyes widen and Malachi nods with a deep breath. Naomi looks down.

"Then that means Eelry really was destroyed on purpose... to try preventing Colin from leaving Aramora," she says as it all starts to make somehow both more and less sense.

Malachi says nothing and looks away. Naomi stares at him sorrowfully. "I'm... sorry for your loss," she says tenderly. The old man nods.

"...I am too. But I know my friend is still out there, somewhere. I've spent over the past century trying to find him. I'm not giving up yet."

Naomi eyes him curiously. "Now that you're... you know, not dreading my existence with every personal question I ask you... I'm curious. How is it possible for you to live for so long?" she asks. Malachi sighs and shrugs.

"Adaliaen Blood Elixir. One drink and suddenly you age like an elf. Many people in power use them, Athemar included," he says.

"Once I grew old and weary, I realized that my search for Colin would be longer than my life would last. I needed a way to preserve myself, which is when I learned of these elixirs. They're hard to come by, but, well, I've already got a criminal record with the Dev'al Ordon, so it didn't do much more damage when I pinched one." He chuckles.

Naomi smiles. "Maybe you are a Cle after all," she teases.

He rolls his eyes. "Yes, well... not that elven aging does much good when we're about to be killed due to that Cle boy's stubbornness," he grumbles.

Naomi goes to comment, but stops herself when they hear a spine-chilling howl echo from outside the tent and the spies shouting and scrambling around.

The two look at each other apprehensively and try to peek through the small gap in the tent's entrance. They can't see much, aside from the occasional arrow flying by. But then they see a large white blur dart past the opening.

The shouts of fear and battle ring out, but one by one they begin to drop. They can hear savage barking, blood spilling on the ground, whistling as more darts fly, and bones breaking. The sounds continue, until only one voice remains.

"Synthara fears no beast! Come and face her, dog!" they hear the Tus'Felnis hiss and let out a battle cry. It's not long after that when they hear her shriek, and suddenly she flies through the tent, tearing a hole in the leather wall.

Synthara crashes through the wooden table containing the orcish weapons and a dagger flies off, skidding across the ground and stopping near Naomi's feet.

As the Tus'Felnis tries to regain her bearings, Naomi extends her foot towards the dagger and pulls it over to her hands. She manages to grab it and begin frantically sawing away at the ropes restraining her while Malachi keeps trying to figure out what's happening.

Naomi frees herself and springs off the ground, rushing over to Malachi and beginning to cut at the ropes holding him. While she works at freeing him, a vicious snarl grabs their attention and is immediately followed by the white blur tearing into the tent, keeping its hungry gaze on the Tus'Felnis.

Malachi doesn't blink as he stares at the beast.

"...Expiryvus," he shudders in terror and awe. Naomi's brows furrow in concern but she focuses on cutting him loose.

Synthara groans and pushes herself to try standing, but she gasps as Expiryvus pounces on her, digging its claws into her shoulders and ripping at her skin through her leather armor.

She shrieks out in agony as her blood stains the ground. Her cries fuel the hunger in the werewolf's eyes and it lifts her off the ground, only to slam her back down and start ripping apart her flesh, biting at her throat and tearing it out.

The cat has stopped moving and crying, but the beast continues to rip her body to pieces, clawing and biting, its white fur getting covered in blood.

Naomi finishes cutting the ropes holding Malachi and he instantly gets up, staring at Expiryvus with fear and wonder, the legend is real. Naomi tries running over to the beast, but Malachi grabs her arm and pulls her back, shielding her behind him.

"Naomi, stay back!" he barks.

Expiryvus's ears twitch and it looks back at the two with its mouth drenched in blood. The moment its eyes land on them, Malachi grabs a sword from the ground and holds it ready. He prepares to strike at the wolf, but Naomi ducks around him and stands between him and Expiryvus with her hands up protectively.

"No! Stop! Don't hurt him!" she exclaims.

Malachi slightly lowers the sword and stares at her with question and anger. "What are you doing?! Get back!"

"No! It's Lavern! He won't hurt us!" Naomi turns and stares at the White Wolf, holding her hand out for him to sniff. As soon as he recognizes her scent, he stands down and sits like a dog. Naomi smiles and slowly reaches out to ruffle the fur on his head and his tail wags.

"...Lavern?" Malachi breathes out and slowly approaches the massive beast, his mind unable to process seeing the mythical savage Expiryvus of legend wagging its tail while getting ear scritches.

He looks at Naomi and turns her to look at him. "So back in the Balmoral... you lied to us." He glares at her. Naomi sighs.

"I didn't have a choice. If Nesosa finds out about this, there's a chance she could kill him. I can't take that chance. He's my friend," she states.

Malachi looks from her back to the werewolf. Despite being the biggest thing in the tent and covered in blood, he happily pants and noses Naomi's hand to pet him more. The old man grumbles and pinches the bridge of his nose, shutting his eyes.

"...You're sure he's not a threat?" he asks begrudgingly.

Naomi doesn't respond, so he opens his eyes to see her playfully ruffling the bloodied fur on his belly while he rolls around on his back, his tail wagging rapidly while he pants with his tongue hanging out. She looks up at him with a big smile and puppy-dog eyes.

"Can we keep him? Pleeease?" She giggles and hugs the wolf's neck, petting him some more. Malachi groans and lowers his head in defeat.

"...Fine. We won't tell the centaur and he can stay with us. But you're responsible for him if he eats any more people. Got it?" he states.

Naomi nods happily and gives the massive werewolf a small kiss on his nose. "Whaddaya say, boy? Is it time for walkies?" She gets up and playfully lowers like she's trying to rile up a dog. The beast rolls over and sits up again, letting out a happy, ground-shaking bark.

Malachi sighs as he stops trying to understand what's going on and walks over to the table with their things. He grabs his notebook and flips it open to the page he always stares at to see the detailed drawing he's made of Colin's face, and with it is everything he's learned about what happened to him over the years. And at the end of the page, he's written the lyrics to Colin's song, 'The Heart'.

He grabs all their things and tucks his notebook in his coat pocket before turning around to see Naomi climb up on Expiryvus's back as the beast rises to stand on all fours. She smiles and waves the old man over.

"Come on! Let's get the fuck outta here."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.3K 5.1K 51
One girl. Two cats. A world full of adventure. Abbernathy Tells is a twelve year old girl who prefers the companionship of her two cats and a d...
7.8K 826 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...
7.2K 385 32
~Lesbian romance & Mature language~ *Second book in The Haven Series* *Cannot be read as a stand-alone book* Here we are five years later, fighting f...
Rift By Med

Science Fiction

902 87 38
(Imperium Saga, Book 6) This is what it all comes down to. Nearing the end that could result in either unity for the world or being left forever divi...