Battle of intentions

By Antonette_Liebermann

The year is 1833. After the devastating death of his wife, Lord Hugh Armstrong. Son of the duke of Winchester... More

Prologue
1. I hate pity
2. He was a womaniser
3. I prefer the silence
4. Absolutely stunning
5. No, i wasn't Anna
6. What was Anna like?
7. Calm down Anna
8. I dont remember
9. At-least once a year
10. I wouldn't love you either
11. Third cousin counts right!
12. My father is a rapist
14. Made out of hate
15. Go be an infertile adulterous man
16. Feeling a bit stuffy
17. I'm going back to London
18. That's goodbye?
19. During my first pregnancy
20. Dear Gerry Wickham
21. I'm telling Hugh
22. Nora Lachner, seems fitting.
23. I'm not expecting anyone
24. We're already different
25. She saw us

13. I'm a kind man

1.4K 154 45
By Antonette_Liebermann

The place she called home, reeked sadness. Every corner I turned to my eyes met those of the helpless and vulnerable as their heads turned to look up from their harvesting in the dumps. Mother's with children on their back, drenched in sweat, soiled with the day's labour. I saw white men survey around roughly with whips. I saw grown strong black men being belittled and spoken to like little boys. There was no happiness and certainly no smiles. As the carriage went past the plantation onto the main house. There was no need to be told we had arrive. I could sense it. There was no liveliness. Not within the servants that had welcomed us. The atmosphere was dry, I could not imagine living in a small town this buttoned up with fear and suppression. She seemed happy to be here.

"Oh goodness!!!" A woman who seemed to be my mother's age-mate said from a three story balcony. "I will be right down!" There was certainly no denying what a beautiful home this was in pastoral rural plots of a woefully small town. Perhaps my judgement was coming from a place of having grown in the city, castles, palaces and villa's. I was not accustomed to empty land and sheep grazing just across the road, a neighbour being 3km away. It was beautiful, greener than most places, I could never say peaceful. There was some sense of blue devils. The quietness was too much, too suspicious. The quietness was rather scary especially with the amount of men and women, I'd seen working tirelessly in the field.

"That's Lady Martha, Master William's mother. She is also some type of royalty, you will get along well." Nora told me as I looked around. It was the first time, she'd spoken to me voluntarily. I reckon she was still upset about the night before. I'd decided that I would not bother pushing for her to speak about something she had not even accepted herself. Of course, I was curious and dying to know the mystery she portrayed but I respected her enough not to bring it up again. Especially after I saw her cry.

"Splendid." I muttered looking around.

"What do I owe the pleasure of having the Duke of Winchester visit us?" The woman I'd known to be Lady Martha said cheerfully inviting us over to the porch. My eyes were too glued on the man that was helping with the luggage, he could not stop smiling at Nora, neither could she as she held Lewis in her arms.

"My father was the duke..." I smiled awkwardly.

"All the same child, all the same!!! His title is your title. What a handsome young man you've grown to be, you look so much like Alfred." Lady Martha led us onto the porch. "Have a seat."

"I'd be lying if I said I did not get that a lot." I replied taking a seat. She was quick to give Nora and Lou all her attention. My mother had told me so much about her but none of them graceful. I knew, I owed it all to Lady Martha who had suggested Nora as a nanny. She certainly had a good eye because Nora had grown to have an amazing bond with Lou.

"You've certainly gained a bit of meat since your move to London. The duke is treating you well, I see." Lady Martha added. In all honesty it was true and it came from a good place. When is first met Nora was as thin as a stick but with the buffet and food options the kitchen presented daily. I could definitely see why she'd put on a bit of weight. It looked good on her. "Emeka, do tell Philip to get the tea ready. We will be sat here on the porch. Put the duke's belongings in the main guest room on the second floor. As well as Nora, she is after all here with a child. She can not reside at the commune."

"Yes, Ma'am." He said with a nod, I watched Nora distractedly watch him with fondness. He displayed just as much happiness. I only felt further aggravation being called a duke even when I had corrected her.

"Such a shame William and Panashe left to go visit the Cunninghams. Not to be a gossip but I hear Austin and Merri had a bit of a brawl they need a peacemaker but I digress."

Nora's smile suddenly turned to gloominess. "Did Master Austin—"

"No no child, not in front of the guest. We wouldn't want to scary him with plantation shenanigans. It seems to be a little minor squabble that every newly wedded couple has."

Nora smiled, sighing with relief.

"What brings you here? Do not tell me you've decided to bring my dear Nora back? She could be a hellion like her father when it suits her."

The mood instantly changed. I watched as Nora looked away distastefully.

"Not at all, she is a wonderful person. I was headed in this direction thought it would be nice if Nora dropped by to visit." I ignored the mention of her father, I could tell the whole comment displeased Nora.

Lady Martha grinned. "That makes me very happy. I must say, I'm sorry about your wife..."

"It's alright, what can we do except move on when tragedy strikes."

"Spoken like a true man. I've certainly had a tough time getting over the death of old Gallagher but with a house full of my grandkids making a ruckus it makes it all easier."

"I can only imagine." I added.

A butler then came in with a three tier tea trolley. Nora was quiet. It was so sudden.

"How's London treating you Nora?"

"Very well ma'am." She replied. "I'd like to quickly visit my aunt."

"Ofcourse, if the child isn't too much of a bother. I'd be happy to watch him while you're away."

Nora smiled. "I won't be long."

"Don't be long." I muttered without thinking. All I could think of was the young man she had clearly been fantasising about the way here. I could only picture her being with him the way she has been intimately with me.

Lady Martha stared at me, oddly before put her tea down. "Oh dear." She said under her breath as if exhausted.

"I won't, Lord Hugh."

With Nora gone. Lady Martha stared at me questionably. She did not say a word or ask any question but she seemed curious. "It was awfully kind of you to bring her all the way here from London."

"I'm a kind man." I told her setting the cup down.

"Too kind, if I knew any better."

"If you don't mind me excusing myself. I'd like to get refreshed before meeting everyone else."

"Ofcourse Lord Hugh, if you need anything Philip will be at your service."

I asked myself how I'd survive, the awkwardness of residing in someone's home for a week. Someone as nosy as she was. I'd probably never get the chance to have intimate moments of privacy with Nora as long as we were here. I ran my hand through my hair as the butler led me through the house. A little boy ran into me. Big blue eyes, curly brown hair and tan brown skin.

"Master Christian, do mind the guests."

"Sorry Philip!" He said quickly as his eyes turned to me.

"This is Lord Hugh Miles Armstrong, he is the third cousin of the crowned soon to be Queen Victoria. Be respectful."

The child only blinked with confusion but nonetheless nodded. "Good day Mr Hugh."

I was in awe with his mannerisms and respectful tone. This must have been the boy, Nora had told me about. There was a little girl right behind him who seemed to have been chasing him around the huge passage. I could tell the girl was fully Caucasian. The butler dismissed him quickly. "It's Lord Hugh.."

"You're related to a princess?" The little girl asked in awe.

I shrugged. "Suppose yes."

"What's the difference?" Christian said uninterested.

I knelt down so I could speak to them both at head level. There was nothing fancy about being related to royalty if anything it was exhausting and not as romanticised as everyone else made it out to be. My choice to travel with minimum security always aggravated my mother. I never liked to raise to much attention whenever I was present in any place but somehow news always seemed to travel quickly. "I suppose it is a bit blurring. Hereditary titles have a hierarchy known as the five grades or ranks of the peerage, just as in various other European countries. The highest grade is duke/duchess, followed by marquess/marchioness, earl/countess, viscount/viscountess and baron/baroness."

"Oh..." they both said in unison, I knew they did not understand a word I had just said.

"My father was the duke of Winchester. Dukes and duchesses are addressed with their actual title, but all other ranks of the peerage have the appellation Lord or Lady. Non hereditary life peers are also addressed as Lord or Lady. A duke's eldest son and heir is often a marquess, though he can also be an earl, viscount, or baron. The title given to the heir is a lesser title of the peer, usually the next highest peerage he holds."

"I certainly admire your patience but I assure you Lord Hugh, they understand not a single word you've said. Shall I take you to your room to freshen up?"

A bit offended, I stood up straight.

Ugh Kids!

"Bye Mr Hugh." They ran off.

"See it goes in one ear and out in the other forgive their ignorance." Philip the butler added nonchalantly. I followed right behind him. I did not know I was exhausted until I slept in right after laying back on my bed in the guest room.

15 votes + 15 comments

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.8M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...