The Forgotten Child

By laurenhouser908

Alyson and her group of misfits have gone north in search of the other half of their pack along with Alyson's... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 22

1.9K 81 7
By laurenhouser908

Alyson had been on the road now for almost ten hours. She'd heard countless songs and had a good number of bathroom breaks for both her and Kai.

Alyson had just pulled over to stay in a hotel that allowed pets and was pulling up into the parking lot to get a room. She turned to Kai.

"Okay all I have to do is book a single night in this hotel room it should be hard right? If we were back home I wouldn't even bother! I'd sleep in a cave somewhere! But it's too freaking cold here to even think about sleeping outside! I like the cold but this kind of cold is ridiculous! It's so cold I feel like I'm freezing to death in the car!" Alyson grumbled as she looked through her bag for her wallet.  Kai huffed lazily at her as if agreeing with her.

"I'll be back in a second, then I'll grab the leash and we'll go to the room," Alyson said scratching between his ears softly. He huffed at the word leash.

"I know you hate it, but since you're acting as my dog you gotta wear a leash," Alyson said leaving no room for arguments. 

Alyson went into the check-in area and saw a middle-aged woman sitting at the desk. She looked nice enough.

"Hi! I called about ten minutes ago to make a room reservation! My name's Alyson Archerson," Alyson said nervously stuttering lightly.

"Okay, you're room number 113, and that'll be 98.25," The lady says. Alyson huffed lightly but it was a pet-friendly hotel. 

She handed the women the money and in return got her key. It was a metal key, not a key card. Alyson gave the women a quick smile and hurried out.

Alyson let out a breath and relaxed why was that so scary? Social interactions are scary, the forest was much more relaxing.

Alyson pulled up her car into the space in front of her room. She opened the back seat and looped the leash around Kai's neck.

"You wanna go to the bathroom before we go to bed?" Alyson asked Kai. He barked lightly his tail wagging. 

"Yeah stretching my legs does sound good," Alyson said laughing lightly. "keep close there's a lot of cars in hotel parking lots." He walked so his fur was touching her legs.

"The grass is across the parking lot," Alyson said talking kai through the area. He whined softly, scared by the new environment.  Alyson petted him gently trying to ease his nerves.

"It's alright boy, I won't let anything happen to you."

"What could happen to him?" Someone asked from behind her making her jump and her heart rate peak, thus making Kai growl.

"He's blind," Alyson said running a hand over his bristled fur.

The person nodded softly.

"What's his name?" they asked meekly stepping out of the dark into the light. It was a boy her age with sandy red hair, soft green eyes, and tan skin an odd combination but Alyson wasn't able to judge she had weird golden eyes.

"Kai," Alyson said still trying to calm him down.

"Is he alright?" The boy asked peering down.

"Yeah, you just spooked him when you came over," Alyson said, "If you're okay with it could you let him sniff your hand? I promise he won't bite you," 

"No, it's okay. I did scare him after all," the boy said getting closer to Kai.

"Kai, sniff. He's not gonna hurt us. It's okay," Alyson said still gently petting Kai. Kai hesitates but sniffs the hand in front of him. He licks the boy's hand softly.

"Looks like he approves of me then, huh?" the boy laughs lightly his white teeth glimmering in the dark.

"I suppose so, Oh by the way my name's Alyson," Alyson said with a soft smile introducing herself to the boy.

"Good to meet you Alyson, the name's Noah," the boy says offering her his hand. She takes it and shakes it.

"I gotta take him to potty, you can join if you want," Alyson offers.

"Absolutely! How old is he?" Noah says excitedly.  

"A little over a year, or so," Alyson answered.

"He's quite the big guy," Noah says laughing. Kai huffed at hearing that.

"That's not what I meant, not fat but ugh... tall? I guess, sorry bud," Noah says with a small laugh ruffling Kai's fur softly.

"Yeah, he's still got a bit of growing to do still," Alyson said leading him around.

"Do you mind me asking about how he lost his vision?" Noah asked clearly seeing the scars over Kai's eyes still pink and fresh looking.

"He was attacked by a Wolf," Alyson said spite filling her words.

"Poor boy," Noah said hesitating slightly.

"He was playing with one of his wolf friends and another came and attacked him," Alyson answered.

"He made wolf friends?" Noah asked.

 "Yeah, I lived near wildlife persevere, lots of wolves and other animals. Plus look at this sweet boy! Who wouldn't want to be his friend?" Alyson said in a baby voice ruffling kai's head softly, he huffed softly at her. She was trying to tell as much of the truth as possible.

"Ah, I see. I understand he seems like a cool man!" Noah said with a smirk. Noah suddenly flinched as his name was yelled from back by the hotel rooms.

"And that's my queue, I better go before she rips my head off. See you around Alyson," Noah said leaving and heading towards the person calling for him. 

"Bye, good luck with that," Alyson said laughing waving bye to him. 

"Thanks, I'll need it," He says running out of sight in the dark of the halls. Alyson shook her head as he left.

"What a character," Alyson said laughing lightly, Kai lapped his tongue out and panted softly.

"You seemed to like him, maybe we'll see him again before we leave tomorrow," Alyson teased lightly, making Kai bark lightly at her. 

"Don't be so dramatic," Alyson said laughing. The two walked around a bit more before heading to their room. Alyson feed Kai, then ate, took a quick shower, and got ready for bed.

"There are two beds. You could have your own if you want," Alyson said sitting on a bed petting the wolf's head lightly. He huffed and jumped into the bed she was sitting on.

"Silly boy," Alyson said as he laid his head in her lap and sighed contently as she started petting his head.

"Alright I guess, it's bedtime. We got a long day driving ahead of us," Alyson says yawning and falling asleep almost instantly.

She wakes the next morning to her 6 am alarm which was entirely too early, but it means she would get to her dad's just around 5 or 6. Her body pumped with excitement she couldn't wait to meet him. Alyson wondered if he was going to be just as awesome as she thought he would be. She tried not to put too many expectations onto him but she couldn't help it. She wondered what kind of person Melissa would be. Would she be excited to meet Alyson or annoyed she was there? So many questions so little time.

"Alright, buddy you ready to go out? I'm sure you need to pee. Then I'll feed you and got get something for myself at the complimentary breakfast.

Alyson bundled up quickly and put the leash on Kai. He practically dragged her out the door.

"Kai! Chill out! I know you gotta go, but you can't drag me around like this! You know better!" Alyson yelled at him. He ignored her and kept pulling her until she sprinted across the pavement.

He relieved himself as soon as he felt grass under his feet. Alyson laughed at him.

"Damn you really had to go. Why didn't you wake me if you had to go that bad?" Alyson laughed. Kai grunted at her as he shook himself after that much-needed pee.

"Alright, I'm going to feed you then grab some food then once we've eaten we can hit the road again," Alyson said opening the door to their room. She feeds him then left the room to go get her own breakfast.

As she made her way to the room that had the food. Alyson nearly got ran over by someone running down the hall. He was dark-haired and pale-skinned. He shoulder checked her by accident nearly knocking her down.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" Alyson yelled as she caught the wall. The boy didn't acknowledge her as he kept running down the hall.

"Asshole," Alyson said as she made her way down the hall intent on teaching that brat a lesson. But the loud growl of her stomach reminded her why she was out here. And she decided the brat wasn't worth it. But if she saw him again he'd be catching her hands it's too early in the morning for that bullshit.

Alyson made her way into the room it looked like a sitting room. Instantly she went to the muffin section and grabbed a bunch of blueberry muffins.

"You struck me as a chocolate chip kind of girl," Someone said from behind her.  She jumped and turned around armed with a blueberry muffin. She relaxed as she saw Noah.

"God, you gotta stop doing that. But if you must know I'm allergic to chocolate, plus blueberry is the superior muffin anyway," Alyson said shrugging.

"You're joking, right? Banana nut muffins are way better. Blueberry muffins are so lame," Noah said grabbing a banana nut muffin. 

"In your dreams," Alyson laughed as she moved and grabbed a blueberry bagel and popped it into the toaster.

"A blueberry bagel too? I think you have a problem," He says with a smirk.

"Nope, these are just the best options here," Alyson said shrugging as she grabbed some cream cheese.

"You're up pretty early," Noah said as he poured himself a cup of coffee he gestured asking if she wanted a cup.

"Yes, please," She said reaching out for the cup after he poured it, "I could say the same to you." Alyson took a drink of the black coffee feeling it already waking her up. Noah looked at her with a smirk as he drinks the black coffee. As soon as it passes through his lips he sits it back out. 

"Ackk," he makes a disgusted face like a dog licking a lemon.

"Need some creamer?" Alyson asks laughing as she passes him cream and sugar. 

"What's that for?" He asks confused. 

"Have you never put cream and sugar in your coffee?" Alyson asks.

"No, I've never had coffee," He says shaking his head. Alyson poured the cream and sugar in. He tasted it again and kept it down but clearly didn't like that. 

"I guess you could. You heading out today?" Noah asks.

"Yep, as soon as I eat, I'm going," Alyson said jumping slightly as the toaster pops up behind her she quickly spreads cream cheese over them.

"Dang, I was hoping you would join me for breakfast," Noah said pointing to one of the tables in the room. Alyson hesitates for a moment thinking of Hayden. She shakes her head slightly Hayden was part of her past. She left him but why did it feel like he left her again. Fuck it she didn't need to think about him right now.

"I promise I won't bite," Noah says with a quirked smile.

"I guess, it would be better to eat in here than by myself in my room. Kai is great and all but he doesn't like to talk much," Alyson said grabbing her food and following him to a table.

"Great choice," Noah said with a sweet smile. 

"So, what brings you up here?" Alyson asks siping on the coffee. 

"Business trip," He says with a grin.

"Ugh-huh, in a Hawaiian shirt fully unbuttoned in the dead of the cold season," Alyson says flatly.

"Yep, what can I say I'm a professional," Noah said drinking his coffee making a face before devouring his muffin almost instantly.

"I can see that," Alyson said with a chuckle as she munches on her muffin.

"Where are you heading to?" He asks stealing a blueberry muffin off her plate.

"Excuse you, mister! You're lucky I'm tired from driving so much or else I'd get you for that!" Alyson said. 

"Uh-huh, " he said with a teasing tone. If this guy only knew.

"Anyway I'm headed up to the northern part of Quebec, to see my dad," Alyson said excitement brimming in her voice as she munches on her muffin.

"I'm also heading up north maybe we'll run into each other again,"  He says with a smirk as he bites into his stolen muffin. 

"I surely, hope not," Alyson teases. 

"How rude," He fakes hurt. Alyson bites into her bagel with self-satisfaction. 

"I mean how am I ever to trust a man who says blueberry muffin isn't as good as banana nut muffins, then steals my blueberry muffin!" Alyson says dramatically.

"Oh, please," Noah says laughing lightly.

"Speaking of rude, there was this kid who bumped into me earlier. He was running down the hall like a bat out of hell!"

"A bat out of hell? what does that mean did he turn into a bat and run down the hall?" Noah asks.

"No, you're joking, right? It's an expression for running really fast," Alyson said looking at him sceptically.

"Oh, I haven't heard of that one before," Noah says awkwardly.

"Anyway, he ran into me so hard I almost smacked the wall," Alyson says crossing her arms. Noah looked away for a second and looked meek he quickly changed the subject.

"I know you're on a time commitment, but can I see Kai one last time before you leave?" Noah asks desperately. Alyson looked at him confused.

"Was all this a ploy to see my dog again?" Alyson asks standing up.

"If I were to say no, would that mean I can see him again?" Noah asks. Alyson gives him a look but gestures for him to follow her.

"I guess so," Alyson says leading. Alyson opened the door and Kai instantly came over and sniffed his tail wagged happily at seeing Noah. Noah bent down and began petting Kai. 

Alyson let him have their moment as she grabbed the stuff she unpacked last night. But froze upon hearing a loud sniff. 

She turned around very confused.

"Dude, did you just sniff my dog?" Alyson asked Noah.

"ugh, no... what kind of freak sniffs dogs?" Noah says as he had obviously sniffed Kai.

"Your kind apparently," Alyson says with a laugh. 

"My kind? what do you mean by that?" He asks nervously.

"Your kind of freak," Alyson said looking at him brows scrunched in confusion.

"Anyway, it was really nice to meet you, have a safe drive!" Noah said running off.

"What a weirdo," Alyson said walking kai on his leash to return to the key.

The same lady sat at the desk. 

"Enjoy your stay?" she asked.

"Yes, it was pretty good, thank you," Alyson said. The women nodded with a smile.

"Glad it was good!" the women said putting the key away.  

With that, Alyson put Kai in the back seat again and buckled up, she went back on the road. This time listening to some bubblegum pop radio.

_-_-_-_

A/n 

My roommate animated a clip for this chapter, it's mildly explicit so watch at your own risk I guess. Just a funny bit. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 151 14
"I tried to reject him as my mate, but he wouldn't accept. And though he ignited fire within me, I wanted to protect Seth, because he was the most vu...
638 78 31
How much can love save? * Leila is torn between keeping away from her mate and saving her Pack. She believes staying away from him is best for the bo...
224K 3.3K 14
"Beautiful" He whispered, bringing his face in my neck as he inhaled my scent. "You are only for the two of us" Another pair of arms wrapped around b...
195K 6.7K 33
One night changes Sierra's life forever when she loses everything except her toddler niece. In charge of the last six members of her pack, it is up...