Working For The Prince (BxB)✔

By DarkSparx

When Asher shows up late on his first day as a castle servant, he learns that the prince and staff are now un... More

Chapter 1 - The Castle
Chapter 2 - The Curse
Chapter 3 - Who Goes First?
Chapter 4 - Well What Did You Expect?
Chapter 5 - Second Verse, Same As The First
Chapter 6 - The Storm
Chapter 7 - Speaking His Mind
Chapter 8 - Is This Luxury?
Chapter 9 - Back To The Grind
Chapter 10 - An Unwanted Guest
Chapter 11 - Going Manual
Chapter 12 - It's Been A While
Chapter 13 - Traditions
Chapter 14 - Snapping Back
Chapter 15 - Opening Up
Chapter 16 - Curious
Chapter 17 - Quick Visit
Chapter 18 - Doing a Favor
Chapter 19 - Next Target
Chapter 20 - Donna
Chapter 21 - Is That A Contract?
Chapter 22 - Sitting By The Fire
Chapter 23 - Casual
Chapter 24 - Virgins
Chapter 25 - Bad News
Chapter 26 - Not The Rumor He was Expecting
Chapter 28 - Awkward Reunion
Chapter 29 - Everything Hurts
Chapter 30 - Secret Passage
Chapter 31 - Affair?
Chapter 32 - Distanced
Chapter 33 - Good News, Bad News
Chapter 34 - Returning
Chapter 35 - Not So Happy
Chapter 36 - Tattle Tale
Chapter 37 - Gone Astray
Chapter 38 - Gathering Evidence
Chapter 39 - Desperate
Chapter 40 - What Now?
Chapter 41- Confrontation
Chapter 42 - Who Are You People?!
Chapter 43 - Finally
Chapter 44 - Departing
Author's Notes/Upcoming Stories

Chapter 27 - One Last Shot

18.2K 1.3K 163
By DarkSparx

It was no surprise when Theo's parents shunned Asher from seeing her. They probably heard the same rumors as everyone else, and since their own daughter was one of his previous 'victims', they were even more livid when he asked to see her.

Already exhausted from his efforts, Asher decided to throw in the towel and head home so he could at least tell the beast how far the rumors have spread. They could figure something else out from there, though it was unfortunate that he wouldn't be able to help much anymore.

Maybe he could send letters on the Prince's behalf instead? He did mention that he hadn't been able to send any out, what with his claws getting in the way. Perhaps, after polishing his penmanship, Asher could be useful in that regard?

Just as he began exploring that possibility, he noticed a commotion in front of the bakery. Approaching, he found three white stallions out front with decorated winter saddles. Two guards stood near the entrance, blocking all potential customers from entering. Asher rushed forward, fearing something terrible was happening.

Spotting him, the guards drew their swords and stopped the servant in his tracks. "What is the meaning of this?" Asher demanded, ignoring the pain in his chest as he spoke.

"It's none of your concern!"

"It is if it has anything to do with my family!"

The two guards glanced at each other. Asher realized he didn't recognize the crest on their tabards. It wasn't the royal crest at least, so it must be some prestigious family that had come to town.

"Are you the man known as Asher?" One of them asked.

That put the servant on edge since no one ever sought him out unless he was in some sort of trouble.

He hesitated, but realized his grandparents would be dragged into the middle of everything if he didn't come forward, so he nodded. "I am. Why?"

Sheathing their swords, they gestured for him to enter. "Our lady has been waiting for you."

"Lady?" Asher asked, but they didn't explain and he stepped inside, curious as to who they were referring to.

His grandfather was sitting at the table in the kitchen as his grandmother offered a shaky plate of cookies to a young servant standing in the corner. He looked to be about thirteen and wore the same tabard as the guards. Sitting across from his grandfather was an elegant woman with long, golden blond hair and bright, blue eyes. She had pale skin, as though she had never worked outside a day in her life, and wore a decorative velvet dress not fit for travel.

She reminded Asher of a swan, poised perfectly as she tilted her chin and smiled dazzlingly at him. "Hello."

Her voice was soothing to his ears. It was the sort of motherly voice that reminded him of the lullabies he heard as a child.

"Asher, this is Lady Elise Lumley." His grandfather introduced her, then froze as he noticed his grandson's condition. Unfortunately, due to their guest, all he could do was flounder as he gathered his wits back, then mimicked a half bow towards Asher to remind him of his manners.

"OH! Sorry!" Asher quickly bowed, wincing in pain but holding it in as he fought to keep a proper appearance. "I didn't know we were expecting company."

"It's alright." She folded her hands daintily in her lap. "I didn't give much notice. I've heard quite a bit about you, young Asher."

"Is that so?" He replied, figuring she most likely already knew all about the church fiasco then, but wondered if she also knew about the beast? That had to be it, because otherwise there'd be no reason for anyone to seek him out just because he angered their religious leaders in a botched internship.

"I'm certain you know why I'm here." She stood, and Asher found she was nearly a head taller than him, making her the tallest woman he'd ever met.

He fought hard not to step back as he suddenly felt intimidated by this noble woman. Her very being exuded grace that Asher could never match. "I'd rather not assume."

"Then let me get to the point. I've heard rumors that you are harboring a monster."

His grandfather's head shot up in shock, though is grandmother didn't seem to catch what was said. "That can't be right." His grandfather immediately defended him. "He's been working at the castle!"

"So you've said. Yet I've been hearing other strange stories, and they're all about you." She pinned the servant with a knowing look. "Some, like your family, claim you're working at the Prince's castle. Others claim you're trying to help a friend who is trapped under the influence of a curse. And then there's the other, less favorable rumors about what you've been up to with the local women."

"Asher!" His grandmother gasped, finally hearing some of the conversation.

Apparently his grandparents had been quite busy, otherwise they would have already heard all of this by now. Especially with his grandmother's gossiping habit.

"So which is it?" Lady Elise asked, her smile still present.

Asher thought carefully about what he should say next. He really didn't want to drag his family into this, but it didn't look like he'd have much of a choice since the rumors were getting out of hand. Yet there was the small question of why some random noble lady would be seeking him out like this...

"If I may be so bold," He managed to slip back into his more formal persona. "May I ask why you would take interest in what a mere commoner such as myself has been up to?"

He may have laid the fancy talk on too thick, but he hadn't had to pretend to be well bred in a long time, so he was a bit rusty at it.

The corner of her lip twitched as she fought not to giggle at the untrained servant. "I've been told that people are having trouble finding Prince Leon's castle recently. None of the royal messengers have been able to deliver anything, and there hasn't been any contact with Prince Leon or his staff in a while. Naturally I'd take interest in rumors that mention someone able to do what no one else can."

So it WAS about the prince...

"I spoke with the blacksmith's daughter before coming here so I could confirm it." She continued. "She didn't seem willing to talk, but her father claims you offered her to the Prince as a possible bride a short while back. Is that true? Or are you really making up stories to sneak off with local women?"

She was being uncomfortably blunt, yet managed to maintain her calm gaze as she examined Asher's reaction.

It was true that he still hoped to bring another woman back as a last ditch effort to break Leon's curse, but the last thing he expected was for a noble lady to pop in as a potential tribute. He could tell her everything here and now and hope that she would help. Since she was of noble upbringing, she may even work harder than any of the other women had because, based on what he learned from Leon, nobles are raised to put their people first. At least, that's what was expected of them.

So if he told her that the country was in danger unless the spell was broken...

But what if they fall in love?

A knot twisted in his gut, making him feel woozy. That or his ointment was wearing off.

"What if I told you it was a little of the first two?" He decided. "That the cursed friend is actually the Prince, and that the only way to break the curse is if he finds a wife that loves him?"

She tilted her head, showing more interest than before, though she mulled his words over for a bit before answering. "If that were the case, why are you the one retrieving women for him? Why does he not send out all of his servants to streamline the process? Or more importantly, why doesn't he call for the women who were already lined up to marry him?"

Asher went wide eyed as his thoughts immediately turned to Ebony. There's no way this woman would know about that deal unless she had something to do with the witch...

"There were many of us who were presented to the Prince at his Coming of Age Ceremony years ago." She continued. "The King never accepted any of our offers, but the Queen had always sent invites to me and the other ladies to meet with the Prince on holidays before she passed."

"So you're saying there's a line of women already prepared to marry Leon...?" Asher wondered out loud.

"Who else would he marry other than a noble's daughter?"

"And you were one of them?"

She nodded slowly.

Asher wasn't sure what he was feeling. It was a bit of relief to know that his impossible task was suddenly much easier, but at the same time he felt a pang of regret for some reason...

No matter. This was his best chance at breaking the curse and he didn't have time to let it slip through is fingers.

"Okay...Then...Do you think you can help? Even if he doesn't look anything like he used to?"

"What do you mean?"

Biting his lip, Asher decided to just go for it as he went into full detail on the curse. 

---

This story is Copyrighted ©Darksparx via Wattpad. Do not translate, post, or publish on any other platforms without the author's express permission.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 137 8
For as long as Daeron can remember, every day has been exactly the same. The poor dumb beast lives in a dark, disgusting pit. He's only allowed out t...
244 28 23
~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "Not Long ago, In a Place not far from here, is a planet called Lydian. Lydian was a lot like this weird planet 'Earth'. That is, very...
285 1 34
!! BL NSFW IN SOME CHAPTERS !! a popular guy at the top of his class and a mysterious guy cross swords, and ever since that moment, their hate for ea...
4.5K 978 42
After a terrible accident, Everly swore to never use her magic again. Buried and rejected for six years, her magic finally breaks free despite her be...