Twice In A Lifetime | Book 2...

By vineethereader

(This Book Is A Sequel and contains major spoilers from the first book- Stop! Right now! Don't even read the... More

Synopsis
1. CONTEMPLATING CHOICES
2. AFTERMATH
3. CHAOS IS COMPULSORY
4. READY OR NOT
5. I HATE LONG STORIES
6: NO PROMISES
7. MAKE IT QUICK
8. DROP THE ACT
9. FUNCTION SENSIBLY
10: DIE IN A DITCH
11. GLAD TO DISAPPOINT
12. HOW MUCH LONGER?
13. I WONDER WHY?
14. NO ESCAPE
15. FRAGILE TRUST
16. ANOTHER LONG STORY
17. THE TRUTH
18. MAYBES AND WHAT IF'S
19. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT
20. YOU HAVE ISSUES
21. DISTRACTIONS
22. UNRESTRAINED
23. LIKE CLOCKWORK
24. ATTEMPT AT A THREAT
26. THE WEDDING DAY (End)
CLOSING REMARKS!
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2

25. UNDER WRAPS

2.9K 233 67
By vineethereader

Chapter 25: UNDER WRAPS

***********************************************

Alex's POV:

**************

After witnessing Kyle's near-death experience, everything sort of fell into place.

The near-death I talk about? Oh, it was when Jenny arrived with Lydia and her bridesmaids and saw Kyle happily laughing and enjoying drinks with Sam.

She started towards him ferociously, and the moment he saw her, he had already begun to apologise. "I know I shouldn't have gone, I should have listened to you, but I'm sorry, I'm really-"

His words were cut short when he was attacked by a fierce life-threatening hug, which none of us saw coming.

They hugged for a while, and then Jenny pulled away and punched his arm, exactly where I had punched him earlier. No one saw that coming either.

Ouch!

I cringed.

"Great! Now I'll be all bruised up like a peach tomorrow." Kyle concluded.

"And whose fault is that?" Jenny exclaimed.

I nodded agreeing with Jenny, from where I stood a few feet away, Sam said: "You bought it upon yourself bro."

Kyle shot his best man a caustic look, but turned back to Jenny and said "Mine. It's my fault and I'm sorry."

Wise choice.

That's what you have to say your whole life Kyle, better practice.

He apologized some more, and then the next thing I know, they were being all grossly lovey-dovey again.

Oh dear lord, I need to sanitize my eyes.

I stepped towards the open bar to get myself a drink and saw Josh and Jensen sitting there talking. Josh was the one talking while Jensen was looking at me. He's been doing that for a while now and I mentally groaned, at his blatant conspicuousness.

Sam broke away from the couple and walked towards me, "Hey gorgeous." He flirted as usual as he pulled me into a hug. I could see Jensen tense up in his seat as he looked at us.

"Don't let my boyfriend hear that, he could get a little possessive," I said, almost casually, almost as if it wasn't a big deal.

Sam froze in shock, his expressive face was painted in disbelief as he looked at Jensen and then at me. Jensen didn't even try to mask the glare he was shooting at Sam. "Nooo, you mean-..... Really?!"

I laughed at his reaction and nodded.

"Finally everything worked out huh?" He said and I smiled.

"Thanks for your help," I said.

"You're welcome." Sam said, "But, I don't understand, why are you here....while he's all the way over there?" He asked.

I looked in the direction of my mom, "Why do you think?"

He caught on and then laughed. "Of course, if she finds out she'll force you to get married straight after Kyle."

"Right!" I nodded. "I can't deal with her, although Jensen disagrees..."

"No wonder he's been giving you those longing looks from across the room for the past hour now." Sam smirked as he looked at him, "and now he looks like he's plotting my murder. Nice."

"Urgh... he's so obvious." I groaned and He laughed.

"Alright enough about me, tell me about this girl you mentioned." I said with wide curious eyes, "What's her name?"

He suddenly looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here, as his ears turned red, "Jade. Her name is Jade."

I smiled at how usually untamed Sam was being all bashful, just from talking about this girl, she must be special. "So, how did you meet? Come on, tell me everything!"

He chuckled at my enthusiasm, "Jade is an instructor, she joined my studio a few weeks ago... and last week she asked me out."

My eyebrows raised when he said that, "So, she took you out on a date huh? That's a first..."

He looked down at his shoes, "I guess...It's just she's unlike anyone I've ever met, I don't know how to explain it."

Holy cheesecakes! This sounds serious. I wanted to squeal, but instead, I settled with a wide grin that basically split my face into two. His blue eyes had a spark when he talked about her, I've never seen him like this before.

"What?" He laughed awkwardly as he looked at me.

"Nothing," I said. I really hope this works out for him.

********************************************************

The rehearsal was a turbulent course, as mom supervised the processional and recessional, while Josh acted like the 'officiant' for the day. He didn't shy away from adding levity to the whole event despite my mom's glares.

Kyle looked happy to make out with Jenny while Jensen happened to disappear when he got an important phone call right as he was supposed to walk Jenny down the aisle.

It was a disaster.

But ultimately, it ended. And I could finally breathe.

Everyone talked and mingled, this gathering was a perfect excuse for the families and friends to spend some time together before the wedding.

I had a wine glass in my hand, while my eyes searched for him. My restless gaze sorted him out soon enough, he was sitting with his sister at their table, Josh was with them, and it seemed like they were in their own little zone, it was obvious these three were old friends.

I didn't think it was okay to intrude.

"Alex!" Someone yelled.

I looked up to see Josh frantically waving me over. Not just me, the whole crowd was now looking at him, but he seemed least bothered about that fact. I made my way towards their table.

Jensens' eyes were alight with a charming smile as he looked at me and uttered an almost inaudibly "Hey."

I smiled back at him, as I took a seat. It was unexpectedly pleasant when Jensen's hand reached for mine under the table.

"Ahem..." Someone cleared their throat, and I looked up at Jenny, who was smiling cryptically at us "Hello! Earth to lovebirds!"

My eyes widened and I froze at her words.

"He spilled." Jensen said pointing at Josh who looked a little drunk.

I sighed, "I don't understand why I'm even trying anymore." I mumbled. It was only a matter of time until mom found out.

"As if you weren't being obvious enough." Josh countered. "Jenny suspected it, I only confirmed."

"Which you shouldn't have." Jensen glared, but it was ineffective.

"Dude, you should have stopped giving her the googly eyes. It's embarrassing." Josh said to Jensen.

"I've stopped caring about embarrassment ever since I was seen with you in public." Jensen glared at his friend.

Josh's jaw dropped, and then he looked at Jenny "Are you looking at that rotten attitude?"

Jensen almost seemed bored, while Jenny stifled a laugh.

Josh continued speaking to him, "that's the reason people tend to keep away from you."

"That's good. I prefer it that way." was Jensen's response.

"Alex you still have time, save yourself, it might be too late for me, but I can't let you get sucked into this." Josh dramatised gesturing at all of Jensen, and I laughed.

"Maybe it's already too late for that." I humoured him, and Jensen raised a single eyebrow at my words.

"Guys stop, so I know... it's not the end of the world, and I won't tell anyone, well... except Kyle, oh and Mom she'll be overjoyed..." Jenny said and I groaned. Great.

So Kyle and Lydia... at this rate Mom is gonna find out faster than I thought.

Jensen laughed, "I told you we are fighting a losing battle."

"You don't look all that broken up about it." I looked at him pointedly.

Conversation flowed and shifted, and now Jenny was scolding Jensen for prioritising his phone call over her wedding.

"...-If you pull that stunt on my wedding day Jensen, you are as good as dead." Jenny threatened.

I smiled, only she was capable of doing something like that and getting away with it.

Josh had this amazing idea for Jenny; which was to drive down the aisle on a motorbike so that Jensen wasn't required in the task. I tried not to laugh. It was almost as if he was asking to be rebuked.

"I won't. Now would you let it go...?" Jensen looked exasperated, but his voice was pleading.

"But I suggest you keep a backup plan ready, you know.... just in case," Josh said to Jenny, earning a death glare from Jensen.

"Excuse me...I need a refill." Josh escaped with his still half-full drink in his hand.

"No but seriously, I don't care what you do, you have to-" Jennifer's words were cut short when Jensen spoke over her.

"Take Jenny with you... I'm sick of her lecture anyway...." Jensen called after his friend, but Josh didn't turn around.

A beat passed in silence before Jenny spoke. "Don't pretend like you're not going to miss me." Jenny rolled her eyes at his words.

"Woah please, I can't wait to get a break from you, you're way too bossy, Poor Kyle...I can not be more relieved." He denied and chuckled.

Jenny's jaw went slack. "I am the bossy one?! Ever the hypocrite aren't you?"

"I am nothing in comparison. You are all dad, you sometimes even speak like him." He reasoned.

Jenny didn't say anything for a second, and it seemed like the playful mood of the table plummeted, the air undeniably changed.

"I wish...I really wish he was here..." She trailed off. My heart ached for her, and suddenly I felt like I was intruding on a family moment.

Jensen sat there looking almost like a stone statue, he didn't move, didn't blink. I squeezed his hand trying to comfort him in some way, but he pulled away, I could feel the walls coming up around him, I could feel how he was shutting me out.

And I hated it.

When Kyle suddenly came over to talk to Jenny, Jensen excused himself and left the table.

I sat there in confusion, torn in two, part of me wanted to go after him and comfort him while another part wanted to give him some space... and I couldn't decide what was the right thing to do.

By the time my mind was made he was nowhere in sight and I cursed myself as I jumped to my feet and searched for him in the crowd, disappointment surged over me when I didn't find him anywhere. I started walking around, keeping a lookout for him, but when I couldn't find him indoors after looking twice, I decided to step out.

I found him around the back, looking out at the meandering stream, and almost hidden with the darkness. The moonlight however denied him the camouflage he sought.

Just as I took a step in his direction, second thoughts clouded my mind. I was at war with myself, my heart was pounding and I couldn't decide if I should comfort him or let him be. I continued to walk towards him, slowly, soundlessly.

Maybe he needs a few moments to gather his thoughts, but will he push me away if I try to help him? I stopped a few steps short. What was I thinking? He clearly wanted to be left alone, he wouldn't have come out here otherwise.

I turned away, prepared to trace my steps back when "Don't go."

I stopped where I was.

His words were breezy and almost as if he was joking, but there was a raw edge to his voice like he was still trying to keep himself together.

I turned around swiftly, and my heart broke at the sight of the glossy sheen of tears in his steely eyes. I closed the space between us, wrapping my arms around his waist, holding him close in an embrace.

His arms soon came up around me, to hug me back. We stayed like that as seconds turned into minutes, and I tried to give him all my strength.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly.

"I am now..." He whispered, burying his face in my hair, hugging me tighter. "I'm sorry about earlier, I don't know what..."

"You don't have to say anything," I spoke up, trying to make him understand that there was no need for an explanation or apology.

No more words were exchanged, the sound of water flowing from the stream filled the silence. The wedding was a happy occasion, but it must be bittersweet for him. Jensen and Jenny had missed their father and felt his absence deeper than ever today.

The loss of a loved one is always hard to heal from, and I couldn't even begin to imagine what he must be going through right now. I wished I could take it all away, all the pain and the torment.

I pulled away a little and brought my hand up to caress his cheek. "Is there anything I can do?"

He shook his head, "I'm fine." He said, his eyes were locked with mine, alight with tender emotion.

I frowned as I asked, "Promise?"

He nodded, but I didn't accept that, I held up my pinky for him. A small smile then pulled at his lips, which quickly morphed into a hearty chuckle.

"You...you really are unbelievable." He said, and then instead of linking his pinky with mine, he kissed it.

"What am I seeing here?" A familiar voice said, from behind me, and Jensen froze while I dreaded to look back. None of us answered.

"Are you two dating?" She asked, as we slowly moved away putting some 'respectable' distance between us, while I couldn't even think of digging myself out of this grave.

"Mom...I-" Shit! She was already grinning and looking a little too ecstatic.

"Lydia!" She yelled and then turned to go back in, clearly thrilled to share the news with everyone else.

Oh no.

***********************************************************

What do you think of this chapter? 

Do vote and comment if you like the story.

Thankyou for reading.

********************************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7M 517K 74
Mia Collins just wanted to get through her senior year of high school with as minimal awkward situations as possible. However, that's kind of hard to...
3.4M 147K 91
When Andy starts a complex and steamy love affair with her new boss, she discovers there's more to his arrogant facade than she originally thought. •...
5.1M 162K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
10.2K 350 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...