A3! - A Director's Life (Fanf...

By ThatWriterInOrbit

Just trying to control these handful boys before I give myself second grade headaches. Life in the Mankai do... More

Author's Note
Log 1: A Gamer's Secret
Log 2: Day in the Life
Log 3: Breezy Days, A Calm Space
Log 4 + 5: Heart and Soul
Log 6: A Blooming Flower
Log 7: A Quiet Love
~What is love?~
Log 8: When Old Paths Collide ft. BTS
Log 9: Home
Log 10: Complicated

The Show Must Go On

36 0 0
By ThatWriterInOrbit

I walked into the kitchen to see a group of several members gathered there. I didn't know what's up so I got closer. Banri noticed me and quickly ushered me over. 

"What's going on?" 

Kazunari jumped in before anyone could speak up, his eyes glimmered with enthusiasm and curiosity. "I'm not sure if you've heard about this but there's a rumor going on. "

"About what?" I asked again, still confused.

"I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that after what happened with you and Tsumugi, Sakyo is actually arranging an assistant for you. " Taichi whispered to me loudly. 

"What? But why? Me and Tsumugi are doing fine, there's nothing to worry about. " I responded with full confidence but Kazunari quickly shook his head. 

" It's not just that. After the conversation I overheard with Sakyo and Matsukawa, I don't think they trust you that well in terms of being professional. They think that you're getting distracted by relationships now so they decided to hire an assistant and pay them wisely. "

I felt my blood boil at those words and tried not to snap. " Not professional? Who was the one that single-handedly raised Mankai to be successful? I have already explained that me and Tsumugi will try to draw a line between our personal lives and work but this has nothing to do with me not being professional, I am trying to maintain order by breaking up with him. "

Omi sighed heavily. "We know that too and we've talked to him about it but he was adamant. You know Sakyo is always tight when it comes to budget but we still don't get why's he willing to hire an assistant when it's not even necessary. " 

"He hasn't told us much after their meeting, though. " Muku timidly added. 

I stared at the coffee maker, frowning madly. "Why did he not talk to me about this? Shouldn't I be part of the meeting too? He knows that I'm the director but why am I excluded? I don't understand. "

There was a long pause before Muku said worriedly, "I'm sure he has his reasons, maybe he just wants us to improve a little and have actual professionals watch over us, wouldn't that be something?" 

I sighed, trying to calm down a little as I spoke to the poor boy. "I know, but I just hoped that he had come to me first about this matter. I'm not mad about it but let's just see if this rumor is true or not. "

Kazunari nodded in agreement. "Wise words as always!" 

Just then, Tsumugi appeared and joined us with a warm smile. "Hey guys, what's the commotion?" 

Banri clapped him hard in the back. "Nothing much, where were you? How's morning practice?" 

He shrugged. "Doing great, just in time for breakfast. " The Winter troupe poured out from the hallway into the kitchen and they began to forage around for food, starving. I chuckled at the sight of them like hungry little kids, me and Omi then bustling around to prepare food as we explained everything to them. 

~

After breakfast, me and Tsumugi met at the second floor balcony in private. It had been so long since we had some time together so it was somehow awkward between us again. Despite looking casual, he still looks charming as always. As I opened the door, I saw him at the front, dressed in a dark blue hoodie and comfortable jeans. I took a  deep breath and sighed, feeling more confident to meet him now. 

"It's been a while, huh?" He spoke up as I approached and stood beside him. 

A smile formed on my lips. "Yeah, it's all thanks to you and everyone here, Mankai wouldn't have made it without all your efforts. " 

He turned to look at me. "Eh? I think it's fair that you should be thanked too! I'm glad you brought us all together, helped us discover our dreams and work so hard every day. And to think that you're still willing to be my friend, I couldn't thank you more. "

I laughed softly. "I mean, it's for the sake of everyone here, not just us. Drawing a line between what's important and what's not, maybe it really is worth it. I can't afford to let bad rumors and scandals spread everywhere without proper consultation first. After all, to think that we're always on social media is an even better reason for us to have limits and boundaries at all times." 

I felt him fiddle with a flower he'd picked from the garden. "I'm honestly still getting to used to social media. I'm not that well acquainted than Kazunari or Itaru and I can hardly figure out what to do with it. You guys are definitely the best ones for the job. "  

I nudged him with a smirk. "Don't look down on yourself like that, who do you think is also the expert in acting and gardening? You're smart enough to be a tutor and also because of your gardening skills, our dorms are now looking so much healthier. "

"Ah, I guess we all have our talents, huh? It's great, I'll give them that. " He replied warmly. 

After a moment, I felt Tsumugi lean in towards me and tuck the flower into the corner of my ear. He was gazing softly into my eyes and we both just stood together, just enjoying the silence. For the sake of our work and the future of Mankai, we can't afford to take any risks. We know the dangers of it when social media is now watching over our every step, our lives often broadcasted and our fanbases now growing. Not that we think it's wrong but we can't let anyone down, especially our fans. I may be their director but the fans matter to me as well and I will do anything to make sure that their fans know the limits and strict rules they must follow just so the boys here are comfortable and safe while acting and performing. Tenma is a celebrity no doubt and we have Kazunari and Banri who are hugely famous on social media. If any of their jobs or their personal lives are at risk, the blame will not just be on me but also the whole company as well. I can't allow that. Both Tsumugi and I know the things that we can do and can't do now that our lives are different now and travelling overseas to perform isn't that easy as we expected. 

Before we could continue talking, Sakyo appeared from behind us and we jumped. He had a calm and serious look on his face. Judging from the looks of us, I don't think Sakyo will ever believe if the boundaries I have told him about will make him trust me again. I stepped a little further away from Tsumugi before he spoke. 

"Come downstairs, your assistant is here. "

~

All members of the four troupes gathered at the living room. I was saddened to see their serious and solemn expressions as Tsumugi and I joined them. I felt a little guilty, it's as if they think I wasn't actually being honest but when I saw Kazunari and Omi's reassuring looks, I sighed internally in relief. At the very front stood Sakyo, Matsukawa and the prettiest girl I've ever seen, sitting on one of the couches. She has long wavy brown hair, big cute eyes and a slender body. The girl was dressed formally and it perfectly accentuated her curves, showing off her long thin legs in stilettos. Her makeup wasn't heavy but it was the best choice for office glamor, just who and where did Sakyo hire her from? 

He cleared his throat and began to speak. "Everyone this is Li Zhen, an ambassador from China who's owns a company that helps aspiring artists and actors into success and stardom. She is known for her accomplishments in both entertainment and business. I happened to know about her during the Autumn Troupe's play in China last week, she was very interested in our group so she has personally decided to be our manager in charge for star development. " 

Star development? Since when did we actually think about that? We're stage actors who love theater, not singers or movie actors. I looked over at Tenma and his eyes were wide with curiosity and excitement. It seems that Li Zhen is obviously famous and sought after in the entertainment world, not to mention professional and rich. I squirmed around uncomfortable, glancing down at my casual clothes while being the director of Mankai. Not that I was feeling insecure but I wonder if Li Zhen will ever comment on us, appearance wise. 

The young lady stood up and faced us all in the front. "Hello everyone, it's a pleasure to meet you all. I will be working here from now on and I really look forward to seeing you all blossom wonderfully as talented stars and artists in the future. I can see that all of you boys have potential just waiting to be used so I won't let any of you down. " Her accent was strong but her voice was soft and delicate like a rose. 

I heard Kazunari awkward clear his throat. "I thought that we were just getting an assistant. " Sakyo shot him a glare but the lady answered him. 

"I understand that very well, young man, but since this is not a big company I figured that this would be a great chance for me to call in the favors and help popularity spread all across the world about how great Mankai is. I have heard plenty of things from Sakyo and honestly, I was really inspired. " 

" We may not be who you expect us to be but I hope you can take care of us well. " Sakuya added, trying to cheer everyone up. 

The lady beamed back. "Of course I will. Oh and one more thing, who is the director that Sakyo had mentioned? "

I stepped out timidly and looked up at her delicate face. "That will be me. "

She gave me a nod. "Well I wish to have a word with you later, alright? "

I agreed and everyone finally scattered, some heading into the practice rooms while the others went back to their dorms. It was only me and Li Zhen in the living room and Sakyo led us to a private area to talk without interruptions. It was his room and Azami was in the dressing room at the moment so it was perfect. The lady strolled over and sat down gracefully at Sakyo's leather chair before turning to face me. 

"I've heard many things about your accomplishments, Aerith. " She purred. "Truly a blessing to have you here and raise these fine young boys. "

I didn't know how to respond so I nervously fidgeted with Tsumugi's flower that I had quickly taken off after I joined the little gathering earlier. She took notice of it and leaned forward with a smile. 

"I understand that things now aren't as happy and cheerful as you had once remembered, you need to sacrifice certain things in order to see the accomplishments take place later. Now that you guys are starting to enter the entertainment industry, I have to teach and prepare you all for what may happen in the future. It is a cruel world out there. " 

I nodded sheepishly. "I understand. "

The lady sighed contentedly before adding. "Since you are young and inexperienced in the entertainment world, I will have to take your place as manager and director of Mankai company. That way the boys will be better actors and be taught by real professionals who are also famous actors and proper mentors from companies that I know well. They have been in the industry for years and I trust that these people will bring nothing but the best to Mankai. "

My heart lurched at the statement. Take over as director too? That's not what she agreed with Sakyo now, was it? I'm sure that he should know about this and draw a line for her. I was the director of Mankai ever since the start but to think that another professional business women wants to take my place is just simply far too much. I don't even know her at all, can I trust her to do a better job than me? If I disagree, Sakyo will be at odds against me. Not just him, what if Tenma hates me for it? What if the whole company is disappointed to lose the chance to become world-famous rising stars and be able to stand on a worldwide stage to perform? That would definitely be every artist's dream come true. I can't let them down. 

I met her gaze. "Alright, you are the director now. But keep in mind that our personal lives and affairs are not for you to interfere. You are only here as a temporary mentor and supervisor for all the boys here that wish to have you train them. You know when to draw the line and when to step down if necessary and I will not tolerate if you start problems with us. " 

She scoffed, standing up. "I'm glad that you have now given me the director's position. But keep in mind that you must remember who you're talking to. I'm the real deal when it comes to entertainment and business, my work is known as being the best among all and I am fully experienced in training and mentoring my students as well. They are now world-famous artists whose names I'm sure you're familiar with. Also, you are to be my assistant instead and to do tasks whenever I need you to. If you're not to comply, I will not hesitate to have you completely stripped of everything you have. So now, you need to make sure that you know your place before you start giving me suggestions or I will have you fired in front of everyone, understood? I'm not one that takes well to failure." 

It took every ounce of my willpower not to slap her damn face and be director again but I took a few deep breathes and answered calmly. "Understood. "

"Good, " She perked up, standing straight up again. "Now prepare the boys in the dorm, we're going to have practice later. I have called in some of my trusted mentors from my company and they're going to supervise their acting later. If you're ok with it then off you go. "

As soon as I entered my room, I grabbed the nearest flower vase and threw it across the room. The loud smash erupted in my ears but I didn't give a shit about it. I locked the door and dropped down to the floor, frustration boiling up inside of me. How could I have fallen for such a simple mistake? How could Sakyo have done this to us? Heck, did he even agree to this? I'm now nothing but Li Zhen's assistant instead of the other way around and I have done nothing to deserve this. Some of the boys have received my text messages to gather at the practice room but after hearing the loud smash, they rushed to my room. I was too guilty to face them now, to afraid of admitting this one stupid mistake I've done. What will they think now? I can't let this happen to them. I was so lost that I literally yelled at them to leave me alone and practice instead. It was horrible and I know they were all worried but I couldn't think straight. Li Zhen will probably start managing the boys this time and be their new director while other staff members are being called in. But now, I was burning in guilt and regret. 

I then got up from the floor and reached for my phone. There's no way Sakyo will agree to this. I have seen Li Zhen's true intentions unravel before my eyes. I know I can't just assume things but if she wishes to gain full control over Mankai, then this isn't the right way to go. Sakyo might be in the middle of practice with the others, who knows if he will check his phone? Well, hopefully he does.

I began to type. [ Hey Sakyo, I know you're busy right now but care to meet me after practice? Dinner's on me. ] 

After sending the message along with a restaurant address, I can only pray to God he sees it. 

~

After practice, I changed into a better outfit and walked to the nearby restaurant that Juza had recommended to me one time. It has good food with decent prices so I hope I'll be able to use it to pacify Sakyo. I had already booked a reservation for two and I waited at the entrance for him. Just in time, I saw a car pull up and I beamed happily. The door opened and my smile fell as Li Zhen stepped out, in a much more expensive dress than before. She walked up to me with that same annoying smile. 

"How nice of you to call me out for dinner, I'm starting to like you now. " She cooed, walking into the restaurant. I felt myself burn maddeningly as I followed her in and sat down at a table near the window. Li Zhen ordered some food then sent the waitress away without waiting for my order. 

"Ah, I'm sorry, Sakyo isn't able to attend your little dinner date. " She spoke up, waving a black phone in her hands. "He belongs to me now. "

I couldn't take this anymore. I shoved her hand aside and glared furiously. "Look, I don't know why you're here and how Sakyo had the audacity to hire you, but I will not let you control Mankai like this. I know you told everyone about me selling my position to you but everyone knows damn well that I am still their beloved and most trusted director and you can never do a better job than me. Just so you know, I'm not that dumb to not see through your tricks and lies."

She scoffed. "Oh my dear Aerith, you're so innocent and pure that maybe this world is a little too harsh on you. You know that being spoon-fed by these spoiled boys every day aren't getting you guys anywhere. To succeed, you have to be brave enough to do whatever it takes in order to achieve it, even if it means losing your precious title and reputation. How are you so unaware of this?" 

"I don't care about reputation, not even fame or money. I may not a celebrity like Tenma or the freaking Kardashians but one thing I'm sure of is that I will not let my boys be exposed to bribery or even manipulation just to get power. That's not how we do things here. "

Li Zhen smirked. "Well I'm sorry. No matter what you tell me, there really is nothing you can do now. Don't you want the boys to be famous and professional as well?" 

"You know damn well I do but not like this. " I growled. 

"Then just shut up with your nonsense and be a proper assistant before I fire you. " She snapped loudly and several heads turned to look at us. I sighed, leaning back on my chair, not wanting anymore attention on us. 

"Look at you, you're like a spoiled arrogant girl. Someone needs to be taught a lesson on proper business manners and etiquette. " She complained, dramatically looking sad and stricken while shaking her head. "Maybe I should talk to Sakyo about this and he'll arrange some classes for you. I won't take no for an answer. " 

When the food finally came, I was almost tempted to slam the plate into her face. Makeup or no, I really can't stand her.

After that nightmare of a dinner, Li Zhen and I were driven home by Omi who was quiet throughout the entire ride. He didn't say a word when he picked us up from the restaurant and didn't say anything when Li Zhen babbled to him excitedly about how much fun we had and how amazing the food was. I felt terrible and I even saw him gripping the steering wheel so tightly I wonder if it'll break. I gazed out the window and prayed to God for something to swallow me whole. 

As I arrived at the dorm and walked into the living room, Li Zhen stopped me again. Everyone was there and they stopped to watch what will happen. She reached out a hand to me. 

"Give me your phone, Aerith. " She said calmly. I frowned at her, hesitating but she ignored the hints pouring out of my eyes. "I said, hand it over. "

I reluctantly took my phone out of my purse and handed it over to her. Li Zhen then smashed my phone hard against the wall and I let out a scream of terror. "Maybe that will teach you a lesson on being impolite and disrespectful to your seniors and professional higher ups, what will people in the world think when you were trying to disgrace me in front of the whole restaurant earlier. That isn't the right way for a former Mankai director so thank god I'm here to teach you, am I right?" She gently patted my shoulder before leaving. I glared down at my phone that was now in pieces, too frustrated to even want to pick it up anymore. I was about to turn and leave when I felt a hand on my arm. 

I turned to see Banri looking at me worriedly. Just then, I could almost feel all of the boys' worry overwhelming me like a wave and I felt so guilty. I gently shoved Banri's hand away from my arm and walked away without saying a word. If I were to do anything else again, who knows what other horrors will happen to me?

~

That night, the boys had a secret meet up at the Mankai theater. The lights were off and they didn't want Li Zhen to notice their absense. Sakyo, Omi and Tasuku had stayed behind to keep Li Zhen company while the other two distracts her. They had noticed their former director's strange behavior lately ever since they had a new manager now. Li Zhen had actually fired Matsukawa and she no longer welcomed him back anymore. What's worse was that they had no idea where he is and now Li Zhen had destroyed Aerith's phone and she needs a new one ASAP. How were they going to help her? She seemed really beaten up. If this goes on, none of the boys will be confident enough to have a good show next month. Their worries are all going to reflect on their acting and if something, anything goes amiss, Li Zhen will not hesitate to slice their heads off. Worse, what if she punishes Aerith again? 

"I knew I had a bad gut feeling about that lady. " Kazunari grumbled. "I didn't even know she would do such awful things to us, including Aerith! "

Muku sniffled. "I feel so bad for her, she didn't deserve this. Never! I want her to be the director again, not Li Zhen!" 

"Do you think that this is what she plans to do?" Azami mumbled out loud thoughtfully. "Does Sakyo know about this and Li Zhen's true intentions? He wasn't there when she broke Aerith's phone. "

"Where is he?" Sakuya asked. 

After thinking hard for a few seconds, Azami added again. " I remember him being sent off to have a meeting with a few of her staff employees that are to work here in Mankai. Maybe that's why he wasn't around. "

"Well we have to do something, I can't stand her annoying ass anymore. " Masumi spoke, clearly in rage. 

Chikage chipped in with a suggestion. "How about this, since we're all in agreement here, let's think of a plan now. The sooner the better and we need to get Sakyo on board with this or this plan will fail horribly. " 

Everyone announced their approval and began to brainstorm throughout the night. After they were done, they quickly crept back into the dorm and into their rooms with Misumi and Hisoka's sneaking skills. This time, they need to work together and remember the plan down to it's every detail for them to have peace once again. 

Aerith, just hang in there, we'll help get Mankai back really soon. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.5K 2.3K 11
TRIGGER WARNING Abuse and rape, I didn't put it in the chapters itself because I was a stupid little kid when I wrote this You are a 14 year old lone...
9.4K 408 16
Don't you feel that sometimes you could figure out a person by the way they look? It's the way they present themselves through their style of clothin...
6.2K 166 4
This takes place on Year 2 vol 1 The whole 2nd year students have disappeared with no trace, they were teleported into a theater-like place. A man gr...
43.8K 1.1K 37
-status: ongoing but all the chapters are written! x reader ...