just friends • luke (julie an...

By linamwright

alex and amber had been inseparable since birth, but then again most twins are. and that included when alex... More

cast
playlist
prologue - the other side of hollywood
now or never
flash forward
ain't it something
first impressions
funny feelings
return of a princess
been a long time
seen again
you're a part of me
meet and greet
not enough time
forgotten futures
bittersweet love story
former family
never heard before
edge of great
good intentions
unsaid emily
second chances
everything to lose
go back to the beginning
finally free

golden moments

2.1K 62 16
By linamwright

"Caleb, get your ass down here."

The older man was shocked to hear Amber's voice and even more so when she cursed.

"Amber, I shouldn't have to tell you not to speak to me that way," Caleb chuckled, appearing next to the girl with a pop.

"I can speak to you however I like after everything you've done." Amber's hand found Caleb's newly shaven face, slapping the smirk away. "How could you? How could you stamp my brother, my best friend, my... How could you think I wouldn't find out?"

To say Caleb was shocked would be an understatement. He had done everything in his power to keep his true intentions for the ghosts who worked for him from the girl he viewed as his daughter and hearing those words coming from her mouth was the last thing he thought would happen that day. For the first time in nearly a century, the man was ashamed. Ashamed of who he had become, ashamed of what he had done. But all of that faded as quickly as it appeared.

"I did it for you," Caleb replied, forcing a smile. "This way you'll never lose your brother and his band. They'll never leave you again."

"No, Caleb. You don't understand. You can't force someone to love you, you can't buy devotion. I saw you as a father and you have betrayed me in every sense possible! First Willie, now Reggie, Luke, and Alex? Those boys mean the world to me and the very thought of them being in pain... the very thought that I could be the cause of that pain kills me."

"How did you find out?" Caleb whispered with a grimace.

"I found one of your contracts," Amber spat, lying through her teeth. "I tried to believe it wasn't true, I couldn't believe that the man who showed me nothing but love and affection could be so sadistic and cruel. I was hoping you would prove me wrong. I was begging the stars that you would prove me wrong, and yet here you are." Tears were spilling down the girl's face at a rapid rate, breaking the man's heart even further. "I have to watch my own twin deteriorate as you suck his power from his soul. I have to watch the bassist who has always made me laugh and who I consider my best friend cry out in pain whenever your stamp shocks them. I have to watch the boy I still love with every bone in my body lose the light in his eyes, the very light that drew me to him in the first place, as you take him from me. So don't you dare say you did this for me."

The Covington man was speechless, unable to move as Amber left him right before his eyes. He knew there was nothing he could do to stop her. For a moment, one fleeting moment, Caleb considered removing the stamp to appease the girl, but that moment passed before the thought had even taken hold. The man's face hardened as he whispered to himself, "she'll thank me one day."

Amber Mercer poofed back to the garage, still in tears as her twin's arms wrapped around her small frame. She couldn't speak through her sobs, the reality of the situation hitting her harder than she thought it would. Reggie and Luke joined the drummer and before she knew it, the girl was encased in the arms of those she loved most.

"It's okay," Alex whispered, completely unaware of the situation but wanting to comfort his sister nonetheless. "It's all going to be okay."

The female twin fell asleep in the arms of the boys of the band, only to wake with guilt washing over her like the waves of her beloved Santa Monica. She couldn't bring herself to tell the boys, not until she knew that every other option was exhausted. She wouldn't worry them until she knew there was no loophole, no way out. With a deep breath, she rose, unintentionally waking the shaggy-haired boy beside her.

"You okay?" Luke whispered, not wanting to wake the bassist and drummer.

"Yeah, of course," Amber lied.

"You know I can read you like a book, Goldie, what's actually wrong?"

Amber froze, the use of the nickname that only he had for her bringing her right back into her memories of him.

It was one month after Alex had joined the band, and Luke wandered over to Amber during a break. Reggie and Alex were goofing off, but all the singer wanted was to learn more about the girl writing furiously in the corner.

"Tell me a little about yourself, Goldie."

"Goldie?" Amber laughed. "My hair is brown, doofus."

"I know that, but still. Your name is Amber, amber is gold in the light- just like you- and so you're my Goldie."

"I guess that weirdly makes sense," Amber chuckled, blushing at the boy's comments.

"Of course it does, I'm a genius!"

"And modest too."

"Oh absolutely." Luke paused for a moment, before leaning towards her ear and whispering, "But only I can call you Goldie."

Amber fought a shiver, smiling slightly as she closed her journal and sat to face the boy next to her. "Alright."

"Tell me about yourself," Luke repeated, grinning at his blooming crush.

"I want to either be a journalist or a politician. I love to debate- I'm the best at my school- and I also love writing. I guess I love both, but I hate the stereotypes surrounding them. Politicians are always seen as evil, but I'd only want to make a positive change for marginalized communities- specifically the LGBT community. Journalists are always seen as vultures, always vying for a story, but I'd just want to use my pen to do some good."

Amazed at the girl's thoughtfulness and passion on the subject, he smiled. Before he could say anything, Reggie dragged him back into rehearsal, but not before he flashed a mischievous grin towards his Goldie.

"Goldie, please, talk to me."

Amber snapped back to reality once again, shaking her head from the thoughts going through her mind. "Luke, I promise I'll be okay."

"Okay..." the boy responded, absolutely not believing her but not wanting to push her. "I'm here for you, okay?"

"Okay," she replied, her eyes softening as she pushed a strand of hair out of Luke's face. The two sat there in comfortable silence until Luke couldn't take it any longer. He cupped her cheek and leaned his forehead to hers, craving her touch and her heat. The two of them fought the urge to kiss the other, afraid to make the first move, and just stayed in that position, at that moment, for as long as they could.

Of course, nothing good lasts forever.

Alex shifted in his sleep and the two jumped apart, cheeks burning.

"Um-"

"I-"

Another moment passed.

"I-"

"Uh-"

"Do you want to go annoy Julie at her school?" Luke finally said, forcing their eyes to meet again.

"Absolutely," Amber responded with a grin.

(AN: OKAY I LIED I'M SORRY!! next chapter is going to be perfect harmony, then edge of great, then a flashback, then the one we're all dreading... unsaid emily :( so excited to continue this, and a HUGE thank you to everyone who has voted and commented- it seriously means the world to me to get feedback and i love you all!!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 1.9K 48
Kayla never asked to join a band, but it was the best decision she ever made. Along with her best friend Alex and new friends Luke and Reggie, Kayla...
6.4K 19 45
I might be- No, can't be falling for the guy I have despised for months- but his eyes- No Alya snap out of it he's your brothers best friend  (Quick...
183K 4.4K 39
Charlie's band sunset curve was gonna be legends, that was until they ate some bad hotdogs and ended up dying; now it's 25 years in the future, and s...
85.3K 1.3K 23
Sabrina is Sunset Curves heart and soul. She's one of their lead singers and guitarists. She is also Luke's twin sister, Alex's best friend, and alwa...