Free Falling

By xmarieblack

Last year, Emma Richardson had it all. The perfect family, friends, popularity, looks, and even the perfect b... More

✨Character Aesthetics✨
Chapter 1 | Only 279 Days Left
Chapter 2 | Quit Pulling My Hair, That's Cheating
Chapter 3 | I Believe She Said She Was "Channelling Her Anger"
Chapter 4 | One Day At A Time
Chapter 5 | Imagine Not Being Able To Appreciate "Art"
Chapter 6 | Technically I'm Not Sitting, I'm Lying Down
Chapter 8 | Soooo...Did Any Of You Go To School Today?
Chapter 9 | Bless His Soul For Getting Involved
Chapter 10 | My Life's Over
Chapter 11 | I Have Returned My Love!
Chapter 12 | Why Doesn't Anyone Want My Love?!
Chapter 13 | Is There Anywhere I Can Purchase Normal Friends?
Chapter 14 | Keep The PDA To A Minimum!
Chapter 15 | Just Kill Him Now
Chapter 16 | Have Her Home By Eleven!
Chapter 17 | One Day You're Gonna Kill Us With Your Driving
Chapter 18 | Oooh I'm Going For A Ride
Chapter 19 | I'm Ashamed To Be Friends With Y'all
Chapter 20 | Is This My Birthday Or Yours Austin?
Chapter 21 | I Wanna Go Home!
Chapter 22 | Y'all Are Such A Dysfunctional Family
Chapter 23 | Y'all Wouldn't Be Able To Handle Me
Chapter 24 | Try Not To Get Us Pulled Over
Chapter 25 | It All Started With A Game Of Monopoly...
Chapter 26 | I Guess This Is Goodbye
Chapter 27 | Why Am I Related To That?
Chapter 28 | Shows How Much Attention You Give Us
Chapter 29 | All I Get Is Nothing
Chapter 30 | So, Uh, We Have A Situation
Chapter 31 | I Don't Think I Can Take Much More Of This
Chapter 32 | Always
Chapter 33 | Who Wants To Go Get Some Ice Cream?
Chapter 34 | Life's Funny Isn't It?
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 7 | Things Just Got A Thousand Times More Complicated

102 4 0
By xmarieblack

~
"Years of love have been forgot
in the hatred of a minute"
~

"Hey guys, I forgot my book in my locker. I'll just meet you there." I tell Jake and Dwight, grabbing my bag.

It's been two weeks since my breakdown with Dwight. After our talk, Dwight came back home with me, trying to persuade me to talk to Jake about my thoughts. He didn't do so in a way where I felt like I had to, but rather so that I can get Jake's help too. So, I ended up pouring my heart out for the second time that day.

Jake was heartbroken when I told him I was feeling the way I was again. But, instead of freaking out on me like he usually does, he just hugged me tight and promised that he would be here for me no matter what. 

But, now I continue to have two bodyguards watching my every move, which was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

"Are you sure? Do you want one of us to come with you?" Jake asks me.

"I'm going to my locker, not into war. I'm sure I'll be fine." I say, giving a small smile to convince them. 

Leaving the cafeteria, I head to my locker to quickly grab my notebook. As I turn around, I slam into a body, my book crashing to the ground.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" A deep voice says, his muscular arms wrapped around my waist to steady me. I look up and I'm met with the bluest eyes.

"It was my fault." I mumble, quickly backing away, the touch of his hands still lingering on my waist.

This guy, whoever he is, has black hair and noticeably blue eyes. He towers over me, which just intimidates me more.

I watch on confused, as he picks up my book. "Nah I wasn't watching where I was going." He says, giving me a sheepish look.

I take my book and nod.

Is he new? I've never seen him before.

"I'm Alexander Thompson, but you can call me Alex." He tells me, giving me a smile.

"Emma." I respond.

"Nice, I'm new." He says, giving me his hand to shake.

I just kind of stare at it for a second before taking it and shaking it loosely. We haven't had someone new in Bear Creek High School for a long time.

"It's nice to meet you Alex, but I'm running late to class." I  say, moving to turn away, and I'm so close to getting away before he calls out my name.

"Hey! I'm actually a little lost, could you show me the way?"

The warning bell rings and I hesitantly nod, looking at his outstretched schedule.

Interesting...he has the same English class as me. Jake and Dwight are going to love this.

"Yeah this way." I tell him and he gives me a big smile before walking alongside me.

"So Emma, how long have you been in Bear Creek?" He asks me, most likely trying to make small talk.

He seems harmless.

"Uh, my whole life. My parents were high school sweethearts from this school." I tell him.

"Really? That's so cool." He tells me, and I nod. I don't really know what else to say in this situation. It's weird to talk to an outsider; someone who doesn't know anything about what's happened in this town.

"I guess. So what brings you here?" I ask him, trying to direct the conversation to him.

"My dad got a new job." He tells me. "I'm originally from North Carolina."

"Oh really? What does he do?" I ask, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"Nothing interesting. Trust me, my life is about as interesting as a houseplant." He says, a teasing smile on his face as we reach English.

"Are you one of those people who kills their houseplants?"

"Wow Emma, there's no need to expose me like that." He says as we reach the door to English.

I laugh as he holds the door open for me.

It feels good to laugh.

As I walk in with him following me, I see Jake staring at me with a confused look, reaching over to hit Dwight's arm. Dwight looks up, and stares at us as well, a look of disbelief on his face.

I walk over to my seat, and can practically feel Dwight and Jake staring at me.

"Who's that?" Dwight asks me.

"New kid." I say, looking up just as he walks over to the seat in front of me.

"Looks like I get to sit near you too." He says, grinning at me.

"Like hell you do." Jake says, a glare shooting from his eyes.

"Ignore him." I cut in, glaring at Jake to stop.

Alex just chuckles and sits down. I glance over at Dwight and his eyebrow is raised so far up on his forehead that I'm afraid he's gonna lose it.

I shrug at both of them as Alex turns around.

"So, who are the guys glaring at me like they're about to murder me?" He asks quietly, looking at me through his hair.

I laugh a little. "That's my twin brother and best friend. They're harmless." I tell him, whispering the last part. I can tell that bothers Jake and Dwight, but I don't really care.

It feels nice having a conversation with someone who doesn't know everything about me, and who doesn't treat me like I'm going to break.

"Ahh overprotective brother and best friend? I can deal with that." He says, causing me to laugh again.

The bell rings and he turns around. I manage to ignore the questioning looks from Dwight and Jake, trying to focus my mind on the class and not the mystery surrounding Alex sitting in front of me.

'~'

The bell rings signaling the end of Algebra and as I get up, Kara is suddenly in my face.

"Who's the new kid? He was staring at you the whole class period." Kara asks me. As it turns out he had college algebra with me too.

"His name's Alex." I tell her, rolling my eyes.

"Did I hear my name?" Alex says, walking up to us. At the same time, I see Sierra slowly approach us, eyeing Alex up and down.

"Yeah actually, I was wondering if you'd want to sit with us at lunch?" I ask him, and from my peripheral I see Sierra's jaw drop.

"If that's okay with you guys?" He asks. I glance over at Kara and Sierra and Kara just gives me a look of confusion.

"Uh yeah, sure." Kara says as we walk out of the room.

We walk to the cafeteria together, no conversation happening in our little group. As we walk over to our table, I see the gang sitting there.

"Em-" Travis starts then stops, scanning Alex. "Who's that?"

"Exactly what I said." Dwight mumbles.

I give them a glare, signaling for them to chill. "Guys, this is Alex."

No one says anything, so I take that as my cue to start introducing everyone since they won't do it themselves.

"Anyways! This is Dwight, Jake, Austin, Travis, and Chase, Sierra's boyfriend."

"Nice to meet you." Alex says with a grin.

"An absolute pleasure." Austin says with the fakest smile I've ever seen on his face.

I roll my eyes as I take a seat. Dwight goes to sit next to me but before he can Alex slides in, taking his place. I see his face go cold as he takes a seat next to Jake.

What is their problem?!

"So you two are dating?" He asks, looking at Chase and Sierra.

"Last time I checked yes, why?" Chase answers, glaring at Alex.

"No...just curious. What about you Emma? Have a boyfriend?" Alex asks teasingly. But his question makes me halt.

"Why don't you mind your own business." Jake says lowly.

"Woah...just trying to make conversation."

"Yeah and this is the part where you stop talking." Travis lets out slowly.

"So Alex...why'd you come to Bear Creek?" Kara interrupts before Alex's blood is spilt on the cafeteria floor. I shoot a grateful look towards Kara and she discreetly smiles at me.

Kara and Alex continue talking and the tension is eased a little.

"Em, come to the bathroom with me?" Sierra asks me quietly.

"I'm scared they're going to kill him if we leave." I tell her, really not wanting to leave them unattended.

"It'll only be a few minutes." Sierra says. I relent only because she looks so serious.

"We'll be right back." Sierra informs everyone as we stand up.

Kara nods slightly, giving Sierra an understanding look before continuing the conversation with Alex.

Once we reach the bathroom, Sierra checks that no one else is in the stalls before turning to me and crossing her arms. I almost feel like a little kid who got in trouble with their mom.

"What is it?" I finally ask her.

She raises her eyebrow and nods towards the door. "What's with the new chico?"

"Nothing Sierra. I just figured I would take him under my wing and show him around."

"Emma, I thought you were more cautious than that."

"What do you mean? He's literally just new. I don't see what the big deal is Sierra."

"You know what I mean. Or should I remind you of what happened the last time you let down your guard."

"Sierra..." I warn.

"I'm being serious. We let you down the last time, it's not going to happen again Emma. And I'm telling you right off the bat, he gives me bad vibes."

"You barely know him!"

"Neither do you!"

"At least I'm giving him a chance before passing judgement on someone!"

I know how that feels. The predetermined judgment. I've been there. People who I've never even talked to at this school judged me and my story before even finding out the facts.

"Em..." Sierra softly grips my forearms. "I'm just looking out for you."

"I know...I just wish y'all would realize that I can take care of myself. I'm not helpless." I say.

"We don't think you're helpless, we just want to protect you." She tells me, pulling me in for a hug.

When we pull apart, I smile at her and set my hand on her shoulder.

"Don't worry I'll be fine." I reassure her.

'~'

"This is a disaster!" Austin basically yells, his hands flailing around in the air. It was Friday afternoon and all of us except for Kara, were at the Millers.

Today's Kara's birthday and we're planning a surprise party for her. Unfortunately, we waited a little too late to begin and now Austin is freaking out.

"Bro chill." Travis says, from the couch. His body is sprawled all over it, one tattooed arm covering his eyes.

"Don't tell me to chill. You were the one supposed to get the cake. Where's the cake? Huh Travis? Where is it?"

He swivels around to glare at Sierra. "And you were supposed to get the decorations, heaven knows why I trusted you to go get them!" Sierra opens her mouth to say something, but Chase cuts in.

"Leave her be man. We still got time." Chase says, pinching the bridge of his nose at Austin's constant whining.

"Don't even try me little brother."

"By one minute you moron!"

"Hey! Being the older twin means automatic bragging rights." Jake says, defending Austin.

"Two freaking minutes Jake." I say, glaring at him.

"We are straying off topic people! Kara's gonna be here in a few hours! What are we gonna do?!" Austin says.

"It'll be fine. I called a few guys on the team to help us out, they'll be coming soon. In the meantime, someone go hang out with Kara before she gets suspicious." Travis suggests, finally coming up with a solution.

"I'll go." I offer, really not wanting to witness this whole fiasco go down anymore.

"Perfect! See, everything will work out." Chase says.

"What about the cake? And the decorations? And did anyone get her a present?!"

I take that time to grab my things and head out over to Kara's house. Austin isn't going to calm down until everything is perfect. He's very meticulous about his parties.

The drive to Kara's house doesn't take too long, and I go in through the back. Kara's family is never home, so she leaves a key in the back for us to be able to come in whenever.

I hear the TV on in the living room, and I follow the sound. Kara is curled up on the couch watching Friends.

"Hey birthday girl." I say walking in. Her face lights up and I meet her hug halfway.

"Thanks, and I was here thinking everyone forgot."

"We would never forget Kara." I could see where this was going.

"Well some people did." Her gaze drifts off to a picture of her family on the mantel.

My heart goes out to her. Her parents are always gone, I just didn't think they would miss her birthday. But then again it wouldn't have been the first one they missed.

"Well, you'll always have us. " I tell her, and she smiles at me before turning her attention back to Friends.

"Look at me, I'm Chandler. Could I be wearing any more clothes?" Joey says in the episode, causing Kara to laugh. Sitting next to her I grip my phone, subtly checking throughout the episode for the signal.

After about two episodes, Kara sighs.

"Why you sighing?"

"I'm just trying to decide if I want to do something or not."

"Do what?" I ask, looking away from the tv to look at her.

"I think I want to tell Jake how I feel about him." She tells me, causing me to smile as I try not to shriek.

"It's about time." I say, making her roll her eyes.

"What if it's a bad idea? Like what if he doesn't feel the same way?" She asks quietly, not making eye contact.

"You never know unless you try. Some things are worth taking the risk for." I tell her, putting my hand on her shoulder. "I don't think it's a bad idea at all."

She looks over at me and gives me a small smile.

"I just don't want to get hurt. I don't like to put my heart out there. People tend to just take it and abuse it." She says sadly.

Sadly, I know the feeling all too well.

"It's gonna be okay." I tell her, putting my arm around her and giving her a side hug.

After hugging her for a few minutes,  I jump up off the couch. "Okay no more moping come on you gotta get ready!" I say while dragging her up.

"Ready for what?" She asks, holding her ground on the couch.

"It's your birthday! We're gonna go out." I inform her, continuing to try and pull her up.

"Absolutely not, I'm quite comfy where I am."

"Don't make me drag you all the way upstairs." I warn, getting ready to attack.

Noticing that I'm serious, she gets up and runs to the stairs, with me right behind her.

'-'

"Kara you look gorgeous!" Kara's reflection beams at me while I look at the finished product.

5 Seconds of Summer, our favorite band, has been blasting through her speaker in her room as we were getting her ready for her surprise party. 

We had managed to dig through her closet until we found the perfect dress. It was a strapless, baby pink dress that ended mid thigh paired with black block heels. I helped curl her hair and did her make-up too.

"Em, I look amazing! Thank you." She gives me a grateful look and I shake my head.

"This is only part one. Ready for part two?" I ask excitedly. She nods and I grab my phone. A message from Sierra on my lock screen.

Sierra: We're good to go!

"Alright Kara, let's go have fun!" Before she can object, I take her hand and basically pull her downstairs and to my car.

"Em, whatever this is better be worth you almost killing me going down those stairs." She says as she closes the door to my car.

"It is trust me, now put this on."

"A blindfold...really?" She raises her eyebrow at me and I shrug.

She puts it on and I grin, starting the car. This is gonna be fun.

A few minutes and too many questions from Kara later, I'm pulling back up to the Miller's house.

I have to say I was impressed. Whatever back up Travis said he had really came through. There were balloons and streamers decorated all over the patio with a gigantic one and eight at each side of the door.

Quickly getting out, I round my car to help Kara out of the car and to the front door.

"Em, if you cause me to walk into a wall, I will murder you." Kara warns, making me laugh.

We finally reach the door and I untie her blindfold, just as the lights come on and everyone yells 'surprise!'

Kara shrieks and I laugh at her shocked expression.

"What?! Shut up! Y'all are the best!" she screams, laughing. "I love all of y'all!"

"We love you too Kara." Sierra says, reaching over to hug her. "Happy birthday!"

"Let's par-tay!!" Austin yells, the people around us joining in too. And as if on cue, the music starts blaring.

Pretty much everyone Kara knows from school is here. I told the guys to keep the guest list low, but when do they ever actually listen to me.

Everything that happened last year caused me to hate parties. This is the first one I've been to since everything went down. However, I try to ignore the rising anxiety in me for Kara. She deserves this night with all of her best friends. 

It didn't take long for the party to get into full swing, and I end up spending most of the time leaned up against the wall in the living room, watching the people around me dance. In the dining room, there's a game of beer pong going on, and all that surrounds me is noise.

"You look like such a loner, you know that right?" A voice says from behind me causing me to jump.

I turn around to see Alex laughing.

"At least I was invited. How'd you even get in here?" I ask, teasing him.

"I have connections..." He says, I give him a weird look but ignore it, looking back at the dance floor. Jake and Kara were dancing really close to each other, and I smirk in their direction.

"What's the deal with those two anyway?" Alex asks me, nodding his head towards Jake and Kara.

"They like each other, but they're both too stubborn to do anything about it." I sigh, they better fix it tonight before I go insane.

"You thirsty?" Alex asks me.

"Yeah I guess." I say, shrugging.

I lead Alex to the kitchen, but suddenly bump into a body. What is with me running into people this week!?

"Oh I'm sor-" I stop when I realize who exactly I bumped into.

What is he doing here?!

"Well, well, well." Mason starts. "If it isn't Emma already with the new kid."

How did he even get through the front doors?!

I try to walk past him, but he blocks my way. In my peripheral, I see Alex tense.

"Dude, what's your problem?" Alex asks him, his voice hard. He goes to move in front of me and I see Mason size him up.

I really did not want to cause another scene, especially at Kara's birthday.

"A word of advice new kid, my sloppy seconds aren't worth it." Mason states, staring right into my eyes. I flinch at his derogatory tone and Alex glares fiercely at him.

"It's clear you didn't value what you had then." Alex says, continuing to glare.

Mason's body suddenly jerks backwards, and I sigh in relief when I see Dwight behind Mason.

"You have five seconds to get your ass out of here before I make you." Dwight says slowly.

"Whatever man. You haven't changed Emma." He says in a cold voice. "You still have people fighting your battles for you." Mason pushes past Alex and gives me a smirk before disappearing into the crowd.

"Are you okay?" Alex asks me, and I can see Dwight clench his jaw.

"I'm fine. How the hell did he get here?" I ask looking over at Dwight.

"I don't even know. It must be the same way this guy did." He says, gesturing to Alex.

"Dwight..." I warn.

Dwight just puts his hands up in surrender before turning and walking away. I sigh, turning back to Alex.

"So, that drink?" I ask, finally entering the kitchen.

"Thought you'd never ask."

'~'

"Have you seen Jake?" Kara asks me and Alex later that night. I've been hanging around Alex since that whole situation went down. I haven't seen Dwight since.

"No, why?" I ask her.

"He went to get another drink around ten minutes ago and I haven't seen him since."

"That's weird...maybe he's just talking to some of his guy friends. You know how they get." I say, nodding over to Austin who was trying to win in a game of beer pong while balancing a solo cup on his head.

Kara sighs heavily and I give her a squeeze on the shoulder.

"I'm sure it's nothing Kara, go have fun."

"I should be telling you that, you've moved a total of two feet all night." She says, giving me a teasing smile.

Alex laughs and I roll my eyes.

"I'm not the birthday girl." I point out, trying to defend myself.

"Yeah, yeah." She says, laughing. But I can tell, looking at her eyes, that she was slightly concerned, so I hand Alex my drink and link arms with her.

"Come on, let's go look for him." I tell her, giving her a smile. She smiles thankfully back at me before we turn to leave, bidding goodbye to Alex.

We search the Miller's kitchen, the crowded hallways and even the backyard, but nothing.

Getting a bad feeling, I try to convince Kara to just go back and party. Something tells me that when we find Jake, Kara is just going to end up with a broken heart.

"I have to go to the bathroom." She mutters, turning to walk upstairs as I follow.

When we reach the landing, there are a few people lingering around the bedrooms but there doesn't seem to be anything out of place. As we walk further down the hall, I relax. Maybe I'm just overreacting.

But then I hear it. And I know Kara does too because she freezes.

Moaning seems to echo from the crack of a door, followed by laughter. As we reach the guest room, two figures stumble out, hair looking disheveled and their clothes wrinkled.

My heart drops as I see my brother with some blonde haired chick. The girl has the same colored eyes as Kara as well, and I sigh knowing what Jake's doing. 

Kara freezes as he laughs, clearly drunk.

"Heyyy Kara--woah wait there's two of youuuu." Jake slurs, pointing back and forth between the girl and Kara.

I know he's lying right now.

From the corner of my eye, I see tears prick Kara's eyes and before I can catch her, she storms off, leaving me here with Jake and whoever this girl was.

"Nice one idiot." I mutter before turning around to find Kara.

I feel like I'm circling Austin and Chase's house over and over again as I spend the next ten minutes searching for Kara.

Why are there so many people here?

"Hey Emma, I saw you go upstairs, you good?" Alex appears beside me and I nod, looking desperately into the crowd.

"Yeah I just can't find Kara."

"First Jake, now Kara?"

"Oh believe me, we found Jake." I say, my voice hard.

I'm so incredibly pissed off at Jake. For one, how could he actually be this stupid? He flirted with Kara all night, and then proceeded to leave her to go have sex with some girl that none of us even know. Someone I doubt he even knows.

I leave Alex to search the dance floor, pushing past the moving bodies before finding Kara...dancing very suggestively against a guy on the football team.

I scoff loudly, great just great. It's been all but five seconds and she's already getting revenge. 

Just as I'm about to walk away from it all, I see the football player get ripped away from Kara.

"What the hell is going on here?" Jake yells, glaring right at the football player. His voice is loud enough to make the music stop as a circle is formed around them.

"Nothing that concerns you Jake." Kara spits out, moving in front of him.

"I wasn't talking to you, I'm talking to him."

"Just a bit of harmless fun dude, relax." The guy's mistake was putting his arms around Kara's waist, and that's when Jake snaps.

I don't reach him in time as he punches him square in the jaw.

The football player crashes to the floor and Jake drunkenly swaggers over to him on the floor. He fists his collar before delivering punch after punch. Travis and Chase arrive at the scene and basically fly over to Jake trying to get him off.

Travis finally hauls him off the football player's body and everyone is just stunned into silence.

Jake shoves Travis's hands off his body and turns to Kara.

"What the hell Kara?"

"Excuse me?" She asks lowly.

"What were you thinking?" He says gesturing to the football player, who's name I still don't know. "My teammate. Really?"

"Jacob Richardson, you don't have any right to tell me who I can and can't dance with, especially when you're off having sex with some tramp at my birthday party."

Oooo shots fired.

"At least I don't have to wait around for her like I do for you."

Low blow Jake, low blow.

I don't even see the slap until Jake's head fully whips to the side. That seems to sober him up.

Tears begin to stream down Kara's face and I sigh, knowing this isn't going to end well.

"Kar-" Jake starts, rubbing his cheek with his hand.

But Kara just turns around, heading straight for the front door. Somewhere along the way, I bump into Sierra and we silently communicate, no words needed as we follow her out.

Things just got a thousand times more complicated.

'~'

Hey guys!

Don't forget to leave feedback by commenting and voting!

Thank you for all of the support!

~Marie Black 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 430 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
5.3K 858 36
After the tragic loss of his mother, Rylie Collins returns to his hometown for his freshman year, only to find himself struggling to cope with grief...
207K 8.8K 23
'Accidents happen'. That's what people say. Yet, some accidents take away from us more than others. Ethan had it all. Everything was lined up in fr...
7.4K 541 24
Emma has everything, a perfect boyfriend, loving parents, amazing grades and good friends. But there's a twist, Emma has a horrific past that is soon...