Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Retur...

By HotNovaDragon

500 years after the events of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Rex and his team have been labeled as heroes after thei... More

Chapter 1: Beginnings
Chapter 3: The Awakening
Chapter 4: Debriefing
Chapter 5: Bonds and Upgrades
Chapter 6: Enter Tantal
Chapter 7: Strengths and Weaknesses
Chapter 8: A New Nopon Friend
Chapter 9: History and Planning
Chapter 11: True Motivations
Chapter 12: A Night in Argentum
Chapter 13: New Torna

Chapter 2: Welcome to Mor Ardain

206 0 0
By HotNovaDragon

"Alright let's get down to business", I pull out the sword and ether shield I bought earlier. Luckily the shield's main base is a bracelet, so I don't have to hold it in my hand. However, before I could even react, Zenobia and Raye have already bolted past me and straight for the army of tirkins ahead of us. "Hey, what happened to not showing out on my first mission guys?"

"Sorry bro, you know my urge to fight is pretty strong, although these guys aren't much of a challenge," Zenobia exclaims as she continues to massacre the enemies. I guess I'll just have to do what I can in the meantime. I ran into the fray and start my little battles, but Zenobia was right, the tirkins were that much of a challenge, especially since I had a bit of training beforehand. The number of tirkins began to dwindle as the result of Zenobia's attacks. At some point, there was nothing on the ground but gold and some glimmering objects.

"Hey, Raye are these aux cores?" I asked in confusion since it was my first time seeing them up close. She walked over to me and picked them up to inspect them. She confirmed them to indeed be aux cores that blades can utilize.

"Yep these are indeed aux cores, but they're not very good, however, they are perfect for people who are new drivers," Raye explains to me in a rather sophisticated voice. It kinda surprised me since I never heard her talk like that before, for I'm more used to her being a goofball. Although I can't talk much since I can act like that sometimes too. "And since you don't have a blade, you're better off just selling these when we get back, so you can make some the money back. Come on let's go."

"Gotcha, hey Zenobia, how come you always want to fight stronger monsters than yourself?" I asked her, although I already knew the answer.

'Well to get stronger of course! Why would just sit around when I could better myself every day, who knows maybe I could be strong enough to fight the Aegis one day."

"The Aegis? But didn't they disappear a few centuries back?" I asked my sisters in bewilderment. The Aegis... I wonder what they were like in the past. There have been multiple rumors going around. The main one being that the Aegis was just a made-up story for kids who aspired to be heroes, although I and my sisters don't believe that.

"Yea they supposedly did, but you never know," Raye said aloud. The rest of the journey back was rather uneventful, excluding the occasional monster ambush from time to time. When we got back, the sun was setting, but Newt could still be seen training recruits. I remember when I was in their position. Stay strong warriors...stay strong.

"Hey let's go see the commander and report my first success! Although I do have to admit y'all carried me the entire time"

"What? Nah you handled yourself well out there, I was the same way when I got my first mission. You'll get better over time, trust me. Anyway, let's go see Escron so you can bag yourself that bag of gold you earned."

We continued to walk towards the office, luckily remembering where it was this time, but also passed by the medical area, where we saw some badly injured guild members. "Woah, what happened to them? None of the monsters in this area could do serious damage like that, could they?"

"I don't know, I'm gonna go check up on them, go ahead and see Commander Escron", Raye told me while Zenobia also stayed behind. I made my way to the commander's office. He seemed to be very focused on the documents on his table, with one having the seal of Mor Ardain.

"Ah Nick, I see you have returned from your mission, I'm guessing that the mission was a success?"

"Yes sir, although Zenobia took most of them out", The commander told me he had a feeling that would happen and handed me a slip that said I have completed the mission.

"Go ahead and see Katheryn near the missions board, and she'll have your reward. She is the lady that usually hands out the mission to the guild members and distributes the payment. I just like to give our members their first mission and the more serious ones as well."

"So missions that would require the use of blades?" I asked in fascination.

"Yes precisely! Oh and one more piece of information! Some of the missions will require you to travel to other regions in Alrest, so make sure when the situation happens to pack a bag because the missions are usually overnight stays."

"Thanks, commander! Oh and are the uniforms mandatory?"

"Actually no, they are only for the trainees, but some like to wear them afterward." That's all I needed to hear before I sighed with relief. I didn't hate the uniform, but I didn't enjoy it either. I thanked the commander for his time and left to go see Katheryn, but I also ran into Raye and Zenobia along the way.

"Hey guys, did you find out what happened to those people earlier?" I was going to continue, but I noticed that there was a look of concern on their face.

"Well they said that they could barely make out what happened, it wasn't an animal or monster that did this to them that's for sure," Zenobia explains with Raye agreeing. "We're gonna go see the commander so go collect your reward and we'll see you at home"

"Oh okay then, see y'all later!" They walked off in the direction of the office. I often forget that Raye and Zenobia are one the best blade/driver duos in the guild. It would make sense that they probably have a closer relationship with the commander than most members. Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on that gold and head home.

*Timeskip brought by Nick getting lost again*

After getting lost for the second time this week, but I finally found Katheryn and obtained my payment. I now have twenty thousand gold to pocket for later. I walk back home since it is not that far from the guild. I enter to see that Mom has already cooked dinner for me.

"So... how was my son's first mission? Did Raye steal your thunder?"

"Well, not as much as I thought she would, but the mission was a massive success! Not only that, but I also got a nice amount as payment." I show her the amount of gold I earned and gave her a quarter of it for herself and the bakery.

"Aww sweetie, you know you don't have to do that. I'll have you know that the bakery is doing just fine!" She was right. Mom's bakery is one of the best bakeries in the area, with several customers arriving every day to try her pastries. "Speaking of pastries, I saved a doughnut for you since they seemed to be very popular today!"

"Thanks, Mom, but let me finish dinner first before I dig into this doughnut." I finished my dinner and ate the doughnut before heading upstairs to go to bed. I lay down on the mattress and thought to myself about how today's mission went. I'm not entirely sure but I felt a bit stronger after taking out all those tirkins. Speaking of which, Raye is still out and she's pretty late... well I can't complain since she's an adult and whatever, anyway it's time to go to sleep. I want to be early enough to get a mission that allows me to travel!

...

When I opened my eyes I checked the clock next to me and luckily I was up early enough to where all the good missions might still be around. I jumped out of bed to go brush my teeth, but when's I passed by Raye's door, there was a note saying-

Hey little bro! Sorry about bailing on you today, an important mission came up, but I can't tell you either because it's classified! I should be back in a few days! Tell Mom I said hi!

Welp that's just wonderful, but I should just fine without her. I continue my daily routine and get dressed, wearing a black shirt with the guild jacket over it. The jacket was the only article of clothing on the merc uniform that I enjoyed. I then put on some pants and then rushed downstairs. I saw mom about to walk out of the door to head to the bakery, so I stooped her to tell her about Raye's note along with my plans to travel outside of Leftheria.

"Oh sweetie, that's wonderful! Just don't get yourself into a dangerous situation. It would be great if both my children return in one piece!" Although my mom was caring she could say some weird things at times. Not to mention, you should go ahead and go to the guild to find your mission, can't travel if you have nowhere to travel to!"

"Thanks, Mom! I'll stop by the bakery to say goodbye before I leave!", Afterwards, I made my way to the guild and headed straight for the message board. "Let's see...Yes! One for helping out load cargo ships in Mor Ardain! Although I'm not very muscular, I'll take anything if it means I could go help people and travel" I went to Katheryn to confirm my selected mission. I ran back home to pack a bag with enough clothes for a few days, then headed to the bakery.

"It looks like you off on your adventures, don't you worry about me! Just make sure you send a letter now and then ok sweetie?"

"Of course Mom, I could never forget about you, although I should be back in a few days, so I won't be gone for too long."

"I just have a feeling that a grand adventure awaits you, sweetie. Although, then again that's just another one of my predictions, hehe." Mom tends to guess what would happen in the near future, I wouldn't call it a power, it's more like being lucky, but sometimes it scares me. However, she's only right about thirty percent of the time. This time, I hope she's right.

"Alright, Mom I gotta go before I miss the ship to Argentum. See ya later!" I hugged her and made my way to the shipyard where plenty of ships come in and out every day. Leftheria is the only region where you have to take a ship to get to the other regions since it is not connected to the mainland. Luckily I got there before the ship headed off. While onboard I thought about where Raye could be since she left before even mom noticed. Oh well, it's gonna be several hours before we reach Mor Ardain anyway, so I might just make the best of it and go to sleep.

*6 hours later*

"Hey....kid...hey kid!"

"H-Huh?" I slowly woke up out of my drowsy state to see an older man standing next to me.

"Kid the ride's over unless you want to be stuck on here, I'd suggest you head off."

"Oh thanks, have a good day." I get up, take my bag and step out onto the docks of what is now Mor Ardain. I noticed the man that helped me walk off behind me. I didn't notice it until now, but he looked really shady. He wore dark clothes and had a scar over his eye. However, I ignored it and headed for the city, to find a place to stay overnight. I never realized the city was this large. Apparently, according to the elders back home, Mor Ardain was much smaller decades ago but grew to be a great empire. I ended up getting lost not long after arriving. I started to ask around before I saw a driver who might know places about where to stay.

"Excuse me but could I ask for some directions?" I asked the woman and her blade. It took me to realize but the blade didn't have a core crystal. An artificial blade...it was my first time seeing one, so I was rather amazed. They recommended that I stay at Jakolo's Hotel. I thanked them and went on my way. Artificial blades are pretty cool, but I've heard that the company that makes them doesn't just give them out for free or for a price. Potential drivers have to proves that they can withstand the power these blades can have, along with both blade and driver be very compatible. The founder was apparently just a nopon as well...I think his name was Tora. He also created more technology other than artificial blades that we use every day as well.

I finally arrive at the hotel and book my room, luckily the prices were very reasonable. No wonder that driver recommended this place. After I settled myself in, I decided to go out and explore more of the city before I go to help with cargo tomorrow. There were so many restaurants around. There was even a casino, although I think I'm too young to go in there. I noticed a man and a blade walk out of the building. He looked distraught and stressed out.

"I can't believe we almost lost all our money in one night!"

"Don't worry! I'm the luckiest blade alive! I'm sure we'll bounce back."

"Thanks, Kasandra, you're the best blade I could ask for!"

Huh, that guy looks pretty happy with his blade. That's nice to see. Even misfortunes won't bring their relationship down. To be honest, I'm pretty envious of them. Anyway, I keep walking around until I'm approached by a random nopon. He seemed to be in a panicked state.

"Is friend part of the mercenary guild?" He asked me.

"Yes I am, what's the matter?"

"Please help Bobo find friend! We were together a moment ago and all of sudden they gone!" Well, I couldn't say no, I'm too nice for that. Besides, I have nothing better to do.

"Sure let's go find your friend!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 391 47
Book 1 of the Sequence series Y/n is a young scientist that works for InGen after the events on Isla Nublar with Jurassic World. Y/n is tasked with t...
617 16 13
can history change through the actions of one person? can one person bring hope to those who are lost in the darkness? can a promise be what keeps a...
9.2K 75 15
In this story, Shulk and Rex join forces together to defeat a mysterious person that has been causing havoc in multiples places on this new, connecte...
35.3K 905 30
In the world of Alrest, where people live atop a sea of clouds on the backs of massive creatures known as Titans, Humans gain amazing powers awaking...