Can't Say No

By Moms4boys

Echo Davis is twenty- four years old. She is a goody-two-shoes. Her best friend Kelsea is more carefree and... More

Chapter One- Finally, Friday.
Chapter Two- Let's play a game.
Chapter Three-Why the fuck not?
Chapter Four-Anniversary party.
Chapter Six- We need to talk girls.
Chapter Seven- I am trying to be better.
Chapter Eight- Discoveries.
Chapter Nine- I want to be there.
Chapter Ten- Sexual frustration.
Chapter Eleven- Sadness and anxiety.
Chapter Twelve- Devastating news.
Chapter Thirteen- Moving day.
Chapter Fourteen- Charlie.
Chapter Fifteen- Unexpected.
Chapter Sixteen- The babies come home.

Chapter Five-Family Dinner & Secrets.

354 25 0
By Moms4boys

~Echo's point of view~

I laid awake all night. When I saw the sun come up, I got up and showered. I started a pot of coffee because I damn sure needed it. I sat at the table and ran the night before over and over in my head. We definitely need this marriage annulled. I need to move on with my life. I have some serious things to think about. I don't even know I should continue to stay in my home.

I go between being angry with Blaze Kane and Kelsea. Kelsea is the reason I am married to Blaze Kane. Blaze Kane is the reason I am pissed off at him. The shit he said was hurtful. I don't want him any more than he wants me. All I want from him is his signature on annulment papers. I get up to get more coffee when I hear his bedroom door open. I make my coffee and sit at the table.

Blaze Kane: "Morning."

I don't say shit. I have nothing to say to him. He goes to the coffee pot and makes coffee. Then he reaches into the cabinet over it and grabs Tylenol. I bet he does have a fucking headache. He grabs water from the refrigerator, throws the pills in his mouth, and drinks the water all in one drink. He grabs his coffee cup and sits across from me.

Blaze Kane: "You look like shit."

Echo: "You've told me that twice this week. I already know how you feel about me. You don't have to keep reminding me."

Blaze Kane: "What the fuck is your problem?"

Echo: "You are my problem. You sure talk a lot of shit when you're drunk. You talk a lot of shit anyway. I can't fucking do this. I need you to sign the annulment papers. I need out of this. I need away from this whole situation."

I stand up and go to the spare room. I make the bed and grab my things; I make my way to the door.

Blaze Kane: "You're just pissed off that I only wanted you when I was drunk."

I don't even respond. I just open the door and walk to our place. It's still early, so I hope no one is awake. All I want to do is lay down in my bed and sleep for a few hours. I use my key to open the door. As soon I do, a half-naked Rick greets me.

Echo: "Oh my."

I put my head down and turn towards the steps. He stops me before I get to them.

Rick: "What happened?"

I keep my eyes averted.

Echo: "He is just a dick, and I need out. I have been awake all night. I just want to sleep a few hours. I may need to take you up on the offer of a room at your house."

Rick: "It's a free-standing offer."

Echo: "Thanks."

I head upstairs without running into anyone else. I quickly put all my stuff away and lay down. My phone vibrates. It's Chad; I ignore it and turn my phone completely off. 

~Blaze Kane's point of view~

After Echo left, I drank another cup of coffee then took a shower. As I showered, the events of last night flooded back. Every cruel word I said to her came back. Even the shit I said to her this morning was uncalled for. I tried to be a better person around her. I just can't do it. She brings the absolute worst out of me. I don't know why but she does.

~Text conversation~

Blaze Kane: "I'll meet you tomorrow on my lunch break at the government office. We can sign the papers."

~End conversation~

I go about my day. I get everything ready for the week. I had last week off, but I go back tomorrow. I rarely take time off work. I did it to take time to do something incredible for my parents. It turned out great. My parents were happy.

I didn't know I would end up married to someone I can't stand at the same time. She and I are oil and water and always have been. That's why I avoided her after. It was better left alone. Something kicked me in my ass yesterday and told me to try to do better. Then I go and fuck it all up again. When Rick was giving her a hard time about her dress, I was enjoying the view. For a brief second, she was my wife, and I wanted her.

Then it came out at the party. Kelsea opened her drunk mouth, and the truth came out. I didn't lie. I wouldn't deny it in front of her or behind her back. One after another, people would come up saying congratulations. The more it happened, the more I drank. It hit me that I was married to a woman that hates me. I was married to a woman I hated.

Rainbow bright walked up, and I recognized her from the club. My buddy downstairs reacted. Echo's face popped in my head, and it deflated. Not because I pictured Echo. It deflated because I was married. It didn't matter that she can't stand me. I took a vow, and as long as I am married to her, I couldn't and wouldn't do that.

So, I drank even more. I drank with Rainbow bright. She was laying it on thick, and I was giving it back. I knew I would still go home with Echo, but it helped pass the time. I was shit-faced. I knew it was bad when Rick came to take my keys. I watched as he walked over to Echo and handed them to her. They talked. I realized that she should have someone like him. He had Jade, and I had her.

When they walked up, I did the only thing I knew to do, and that was lash out. I lashed out at her and him. I didn't necessarily want her; I wanted someone, anyone. During my shower, it replayed over and over in my head. I knew I had to do what she wanted me to do. I know that she will not only have anything to do with me when it happens, but she will walk away from us all.

I have to do it, though. I have to free her. I can't keep her in this marriage; I won't keep her in this marriage. Not when I can't give her everything she deserves. I know that I can't, and I won't force it. We just don't work and will never work. I just hate that it's going to end a twenty-two-year friendship in the process. It does bother me that she hasn't responded, though. I text Rick.

~Text conversation~

Blaze Kane: "Can you ask Echo to check her phone, please?"

Rick: "She came home, slept a couple of hours, and left. Her phone is on her nightstand. What happened last night?"

Blaze Kane: "I was being myself, and she couldn't handle it."

Rick: "You were a dick to her, and she lashed out."

Blaze Kane: "I'm giving her what she wants. I just need her to answer me. Can you ask Kelsea if she knows where she would go?"

Rick: "I know where she is. I didn't just track her phone; I have her car tracked too. I didn't do it to spy on her. I did it because I don't know what Chad did to her, and I don't trust him."

Blaze Kane: "I may have thrown him in her face last night."

Rick: "Wow. There are only three people that know what he did to her, those two and Kelsea. None of them are going to talk. Chad did, but he lied. I know he did."

Blaze Kane: "Can you tell me where she is?"

Rick: "No, I can't. She needs her space. Between you and Chad, she is broken. She is broken more than can be repaired at this point. Let her have her space. She will come home eventually. If she isn't home in a couple of days, I will go get her."

Blaze Kane: "Ok."

~End conversation~

Spencer comes in. I look at the time and realize it's time to get ready to go to my parents. I don't know how I will explain it to them. I will just have to tell them the truth. I have never been a liar, and I am not going to start now.

Spencer: "I'm going to head back over there. We are all riding together."

Blaze Kane: "Ok."

I finish getting ready, and I drive to my parent's house. When mom says family dinner, we go. When we're in the same city, that is. When they had them and I lived in Tennessee, Spencer and I would face time them. Our family has always been close. Even nine hours away, we managed to make it work.

I pull into their driveway, and I sit in my car. I know the moment I walk through the door they are going to ask about Echo. Then it's all going to come out, and I am going to look like a huge as in front of my family. It's normally the girls. I guess it was bound to be my turn. I get out and walk-in. No one is in the living room. I hear all their voices coming from the kitchen, so I make my way there.

Jerry: "Glad you're here, son."

My mom comes over and hugs me.

Monica: "I am so glad you're home. Are you home for good?"

Blaze Kane: "I hope so."

Monica: "Where is Echo?"

Echo: "I'm here."

She yells from the living room. She walks into the kitchen. She comes straight to me and kisses me on the cheek.

Jerry: "Why didn't you two come together?"

Echo: "I went to my parent's graves."

I catch the look on Rick's face. She's lying, but it's not my place to call her out, and I won't. I don't say anything at all. I just stand there and listen to the conversations around me. Echo doesn't speak either. I can feel her uneasiness across the room. I'd blame myself for this, but all of this is on Kelsea.

Mom tells everyone to grab a seat at the table. We have always had a table big enough to seat ten. My mom is a firm believer in the table brings people together. So, keep the food on the table to keep the ones around it full. We've never had assigned seats. We just all know not to sit on the ends. We line the sides. They are bench-style seats, so Echo is forced to sit next to me. All the real couples naturally sat together.

Jerry: "Blaze Kane, your mom and I would lie to talk to you and Echo after we eat."

I look at Echo, but her face remains neutral.

Blaze Kane: "Ok."

As we eat, my parents question the girls about their relationships with the men. Everything they asked of them they already know about Echo and me. We got away without having to open our mouths the whole time. I don't know if that is a blessing or a curse.

Monica: "Girls, you all have the dishes while we talk to your brother."

Jade: "Ok."

Jerry: "Blaze Kane and Echo, come with us."

My parents have lived in this house my whole life. My old room is now my dad's office. I don't know why he needs one. He retired three years ago. I don't question it, though. It's their home; they can do what they want with it.

Jerry: "Before we get into the hard stuff, your mom and I have something for you two."

He gets in his draw and grabs two ring boxes.

Monica: "We noticed you two didn't have rings last night, and that warmed my heart. We have waited for one of our children to get married to be able to this."

My dad slides the boxes to us.

Jerry: "These are my parent's wedding bands. They were to be given to the first child to get married. You don't have to wear them; we just want you to have them."

Neither of us touches them.

Jerry: "Neither of you knows this, but from the day Kelsea and Echo met, I knew that you two would be perfect for each other. Echo was only two, and you were eight, but I knew. Last night when Kelsea said you two were married, it was the happiest moment of my life. I knew that I could finally go to my grave happy."

My mom grabs tissues and wipes her eyes. As soon as my dad started talking, she started crying.

Jerry: "Your sisters don't know this so, please don't tell them. Three months ago, I wasn't feeling well, and your mother made me go to the doctor. They ran a bunch of tests, and they discovered that I have stage four lung cancer. There is nothing they can do. I was given six to nine months. You two made my dream come true. I am the happiest man alive."

And I feel like total dog shit, and I know Echo does too. Her hand had gone to my leg, and tears were rolling down her face. My mom handed her tissues.

Jerry: "I wish you both a lifetime of love, extreme happiness, and lots of babies. I may not be here to see them, but I'll be watching from heaven."

I lose my battle. I drop my head in my hand and let the tears fall. Echo comes over and wraps her arms around me.

Jerry: "I need you two to dry it up. I don't need you two crying for me. I also don't need your sisters finding out. Your mom and I are going to step out and give you two a minute. Come out when you're ready."

They leave.

Echo immediately moves away from me.

Blaze Kane: "Echo, I was willing to meet you and give you what you wanted. You have to understand I can't do that now."

Echo: "That puts me in a position I don't want to be in. I have been nothing but kind and respectful to you. You've done nothing but treat me like shit and then kick me even harder once you've beaten me down."

Blaze Kane: "I know that. Can you please do this just until he is gone?"

Echo: "I don't really have much of a choice now, do I?"

Blaze Kane: "You always have a choice Echo. Can you live with the guilt from it?"

I know she can't. I know she is going to stay in this and be miserable. I have no choice but to keep it going.

Echo: "The only time we will act like we're together is when we are here, or they are around. You got that?"

Blaze Kane: "I understand."

That is the only time we do need to act like we're together. She grabs the rings off the desk.

Echo: "These may not fit, but we need to try them at least."

We open the boxes.

She and I both try them, and they don't fit. I know she was relieved as I was. We stick them back in the boxes, and I shove them in my pants pocket. She heads for the door.

Blaze Kane: "Echo?"

Echo: "Hmm?"

Blaze Kane: "While you're off this week, I need you to change your last name. I don't want them questioning why you haven't changed it."

She doesn't say anything; she just opens the door and leaves. This puts us both in a situation that we don't need to be in. When we aren't around my parents, I just need to avoid her all together. I can't be nice to her no matter how hard I try.

I know that this has ruined her relationship with my whole family. That part isn't on me. That part is all on Kelsea. The two of us are now stuck in her twisted game. I don't know what her goal was by pushing us to do this. Whatever her reasoning was is now ruining two lives and a lifetime of friendship in the process. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26K 490 49
Almost 17 year old Lexi Davis has lived with her Aunt and Uncle for the past six years along with her 18 year old brother James. She is abused both m...
30.3K 625 16
He shouldn't want her.. She's nothing but trouble with a capital T. But after one steamy drunken night he can't help himself. But that is where the f...
118K 2.7K 48
|NOT EDITED! CHAPTERS AREN'T EDITED| completed<3 Anastasia Rodriguez is 17 years old girl, who's -of course - living with her parents. Although her f...
23.5K 308 24
Everything about 17 year old Zoe Martin screamed goody-two shoes. From her pristine auburn hair to her designers shoes. She was every teacher's pet...