Incarnadine | Prequel to "Vir...

By ateezprecious

From fear to admiration. From members to leaders. From petty gangs to ruling the country. After young Hongj... More

PLEASE READ
Prologue pt. 1
Prologue pt. 2
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
Author's Note

3

80 6 32
By ateezprecious

14th September
2005

The two boys make their way toward a secluded road, so thin it can barely contain one whole car. This road leads to the nearest town, but ever since a newer and more developed road has been built, it's been abandoned. Now only people use it to jog on or go on walks on.

Luckily for the boys, no one seems to be on a walk at past midnight. The only sound to be heard is the low humming of the night breeze and the light crunching of the dead leaves and twigs beneath the boys' feet. The night is dark, but it seems like nature is on their side as the weather is not too cold, and the clouds have parted from the moon's way. There's just about enough light for them to see their surroundings.

Seonghwa nervously fidgets and can't stop looking to the sides, trying to peer through the dark bushes and trees. "What if a wild animal attacks us?" he asks quietly, unconsciously stepping closer to Hongjoong.

He shrinks back in embarrassment when he gets a scoff in return. "Don't be ridiculous."

Still not convinced, Seonghwa's hands shake. The reality of things suddenly come crashing down on him and he feels his blood run cold. Has he just been kidnapped? He's really going to die soon, his life is over.

He regrets wishing for an excuse to get out of school now. He'd gladly run back into his classroom after this experience. He hopes his aunt and uncle don't worry too much. They're getting old, stress wouldn't be good for them. He feels hopeless though. How will he escape all on his own?

He can't believe he's currently helping a criminal escape. He should have thrashed about and tried to garner some attention from anyone in the town. But as soon as he got any thoughts, his eyes automatically travelled to Hongjoong's pocket. That knife scares him too much.

"A-Are you still mad at me?" he bravely wonders. Hongjoong nods without uttering a word, his black hair bobbing up and down. "But you're the one who declared us to be friends, why are you acting like this?"

"You're annoying, that's why. I don't like the way you dared to leave me like that," Hongjoong grunts in response.

"But friends usually forgive each other after small fights like this and move on. That's just what friends do," Seonghwa mumbles. Hongjoong suddenly freezes in his tracks and turns to face the other.

"Really?" His large, almond eyes light up. Seonghwa clenches his fist and nods firmly. Hongjoong nods thoughtfully. "In that case, I forgive you. Let's go my friend," he smiles before continuing to walk.

Seonghwa's mouth hangs open in shock. What a weirdo.

He scurries behind him, catching up quickly. The two walk quietly together for a few more minutes, Hongjoong's once stern face now relaxed.

"What will you do once you've escaped?" Seonghwa asks, hoping he isn't provoking the other again with all his questions. "I'll kill you and dump your body into the same bush where my mother is," he nonchalantly responds.

Seonghwa gasps loudly and Hongjoong smiles to himself. "Please don't kill me! Look, I didn't scream or anything, I've been helping you out this whole time, just please don't kill me," he pleads quickly.

Hongjoong bursts out laughing. "I was joking, I won't kill you. You should have seen the look on your face!" he giggles. Seonghwa scowls with a pout, unconvinced. He doesn't trust him.

"After we're clear, I'm going to finally see my sister again. I admit, it makes me mad that I have to be with you right now instead of her. I've been looking forward to this day for months now," Hongjoong explains. "You seem pretty close with her," Seonghwa acknowledges.

"I guess you could say that. She's the only person I really like. I can't wait to see her again. That's the only plan I have in mind right now, I just want to see her again so bad."

"What's her name? I might know her."

"Her name is Kim Jangmi. She's only seven right now so I doubt you know her, but she's so sweet and kind. Even when everyone treated me like a monster, she still played with me happily. She's so cute, I hope our father doesn't hurt her the same way he's hurt me," Hongjoong reminisces.

Seonghwa hangs his head in thought. Hongjoong's right, her name doesn't ring any bells for him after all. But he's half surprised that the other has someone like his sister in his life, and even more surprised that his main goal is to be with her again.

"If you get to be with her after this, will you let me free?" Seonghwa wonders. Hongjoong hums thoughtfully. "Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. Why, do you not want to stay friends with me?" he playfully pretends to cry. Seonghwa remembers how fast Hongjoong get angry and waves his hands around frantically. "That's not what I meant at all! I was just...wondering, I guess," he vaguely answers, not quite feeling comfortable enough to tell Hongjoong the truth. Who knows when the other will snap at him?

While Hongjoong remains in deep thought about his sister, Seonghwa feels restless.

He plays around with the paper bag in his hand, swinging it back and forth. He glances at the contents briefly, hoping that something to help would suddenly appear. He sighs when he only sees some clothes, water bottles and snacks that Hongjoong bought before they left the town.

"Are you hungry? You keep staring into the bag," Hongjoong asks, snapping him out of his thoughts. "No! I mean, just a bit..." he shyly admits. "Let's eat while we walk then."

Seonghwa reaches into his bag and pulls out his favourite snack, smiling softly to himself at the sight of the packet. The familiar packaging brings him a sense of comfort.

Out of nowhere, a hand snatches the snack from him. His head shoots up with a horrified expression and Hongjoong shrugs. "This is my favourite snack. Take something else," he demands, already opening the packet and taking a bite from the soft, flavoured bread.

"That's no fair! At least give me a piece of it," Seonghwa complains. Hongjoong takes another big bite, smug expression unfaltering. "I thought I was pretty clear when I told you to eat something else," he scoffs, cheekily palming the knife in his pocket.

Seonghwa's eyes linger on Hongjoong's hand and he gulps, hand automatically reaching for a different snack instead. "You're too mean."

"I already let you know that I don't care about you, so don't get in my way," Hongjoong carelessly replies. Although Seonghwa already hates the other, this statement somewhat stings. "Friends are supposed to care for each other," Seonghwa huffs.

"Well, do you care about me?" Hongjoong suddenly asks. Caught off-guard, Seonghwa starts to redden. He can't even argue against this. "You don't, isn't it? So it's okay if I feel the same."

The mood now slightly depressing, they walk uncomfortably. Or at least that's how Seonghwa feels. Hongjoong looks completely unaffected, as if he didn't say anything wrong.

Though it does makes sense. If Hongjoong did care for Seonghwa, he would have let him free by now. The boy exhales loudly, opening his snack and munching it tiredly. This whole situation is just so exhausting. Even Seonghwa's heart feels tired from pounding so hard from the past few hours, it's starting to slow down. Or maybe the fresh air and the twinkling stars are calming him down.

Either way, he feels a bit more at ease.

The boys have been walking for nearly four hours now, fatigue catching up to them. The moon is descending lower and lower into the sky, only a few hours away from letting the sun take its place.

Every time he wants to open his mouth to complain, a yawn forces its way through. The short rest breaks they both took along the way were not near enough to satisfy Seonghwa's aching legs and drooping eyelids.

"We're here!" Hongjoong exclaims, snapping Seonghwa's mind awake again. He shakes his head as his eyes focus on the sign in front of him, some small buildings just beyond. A sigh of relief leaves him but then he realises.

"Do we have a place to sleep?"

Hongjoong's smile doesn't fall as he chirps. "Nope!"

A loud groan leaves Seonghwa as his shoulders slump. His body and head are begging for rest. "Let's just sleep in some alley where too many people wouldn't go. We can use these spare clothes as pillows and blankets," Hongjoong offers. Too exhausted to think of another idea, Seonghwa simply silently follows Hongjoong's idea.

They quietly scurry through the silent streets. Seonghwa gets a shiver down his spine when he hears distant chatter coming from the street beside them, street lights shining there too. He finally notices how there are a few street lights above the two as well, but they're clearly broken as they offer no brightness at all.

He sleepily watches Hongjoong do all the work. The other boy hurriedly peeks into every alley and area they walk past and shakes his head out of disappointment before checking the next.

At last, his tense face relaxes and he steps into an alley that is deep into a secluded area. Seonghwa follows in his dream-like state, ignoring the damp stench of rubbish and messy graffiti on the walls. Some insects observe their arrival from behind a large bin and even the flies become curious, approaching the new guests.

"If we ignore the smell and the bugs-" Hongjoong begins, but abruptly stops when he notices Seonghwa smiling, his eyes glued to one spot on the ground. There's only one thought going through his mind right now.

This spot seems perfect.

"I guess we should settle here then." Hongjoong pulls some tops out of his paper bag, lying them on the ground elegantly to create a mat. He begins to roll up a jumper to become his pillow and widens his eyes when he sees Seonghwa immediately laying down on the bare, filthy ground with nothing but a folded pair of trousers under his head.

Hongjoong worriedly continues to make his little bed. He must have been eager to sleep.

Seonghwa lies on his side and curls up into a tight ball. He nuzzles his face into his joined hands. Should he try to escape while Hongjoong is asleep? That would be the perfect opportunity to get far, far away.

Seonghwa continues to plan his escape, drifting off into a deep sleep in the process.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.6K 3.4K 32
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ [completed] ❝all this time ... you've been lying to me!❞ ❝i'm sorry, I had to.❞ -ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- where san is korea's biggest drug lord who happe...
130K 2.9K 116
Yoon Ah, has secretly known she is a daughter to an ex mafia leader which the title has been passed down to her older brother Hakyeon (Vixx). One nig...
82.1K 6.2K 31
We are all connected, even though our paths have never crossed before. "Let's play a game, shall we? I will count to 20 and you can run away from me...
38.3K 1.1K 42
[COMPLETE] She had a brother that she doesn't know for the rest of her life. Now she need to live with him. What a messed? Read this. [Once you star...