The Way Home | ONC2021

By GandalfofspaceAnli

Based on ONC Prompt No. 7. The story is aimed at children below the age of ten. The Anderson family, more sp... More

Prompt and Interpretation
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 3

28 9 10
By GandalfofspaceAnli

"So, what do you guys want to do today?" Jane asks, smiling coyly at her phone. It was her latest celebrity crush. Jane's celebrity crush changed with every season. Without waiting for an answer, she thrusts the screen in front of Zhandra's face. "But first, tell me what you think of him?"

"Him?" The green eyes narrow. Zhandra could have sworn that the person on the screen was a beautiful doe-eyed girl.

Jane shakes her head condescendingly and hugs her precious phone to her chest. "Why did I even bother?" She mutters rhetorically.

'Yes, why did you?' Zhandra thinks of asking, but she decides against it. There were more important things on her mind, aka Gabe.

"Jane, I think I left something in the treehouse. Will you watch over Alex for a bit?"

"That's what I am here for, aren't I? Go. But be back in five. And take the umbrella." Jane instructs.

"Mn." Zhandra nods and is about to pick up the umbrella when Alex, who was busy playing with Thomas and his friends, hops over to his elder sister and points his finger at her accusingly. "You are lying. I know you are going to the shed to meet Mr. Bighead's cousin!"

Jane huffs and finally pockets her phone. "Alex, you shouldn't call your sister a liar. Now, tell me how you spent your day, and if you use two new words, I will read you a story of your choice."

Jane must be in a good mood today. Zhandra concludes, smiling at her sitter.

"What are you smiling at me like that for?" Jane inquiries, quirking her brow.

"Nothing." Zhandra shrugs, picks up her sling,  and takes Alex's hand in hers. "I will take him with me," She says and turns to face Alex, "So that he can see for himself that I am not lying."

"Fine, just as long as you are back in five." Jane reminds and watches the kids exit from the backdoor.

Making sure to protect Alex from the drizzle, Zhandra leads them to the treehouse, much to her brother's surprise.

As soon as they enter it, Alex tugs at the hem of his sister's shirt. "Sorry, Zhan." He apologizes in a small voice.
"Are you really sorry?"

"Yes." Alex nods confidently.

"Do you really want me to forgive you?"

"Yessss!" Alex pouts.

"Alright then, you have to promise me that you will not mention Bighead's cousin to Daddy."

"Mn?" Alex blinks. A split second later, his eyes widen, and his lips curl up. With his pearly whites on display, he exclaims, "You know where Mr. Bighead's cousin is!"

"Oh-O."

"Shuuuu!"

Alex's eyes lock on the toy house. "He is here!" He states, pointing his chubby pointer finger at his sister's favorite toy and sprints towards it.

"Alex!" Zhandra chases her brother and grabs his shirt collar, bringing him to an abrupt stop.

"Ouch!" Alex winces and struggles in his sister's iron-like grasp. "Let go, Zhan."

"I will, but first you need to promise me that you never mention Mr. Bighead's-"

"My name is Gabe." The injured celestial being pokes his head out of the door and interrupts.

Zhandra sighs.

Alex squeals.

Gabe gestures the young child to approach him, and Alex squats down in front of the toy house.

"Child..." Gabe starts and watches Zhandra shake her head vigorously.

"Little one... " Zhandra widens her eyes and shakes her head again.

Gabe clears his throat. "Alex," He starts again and catches a look of relief settle on the girl's face, "it looks like you have grown since the last time I saw you."

Alex's smile brightens. "I think so too. It's because I am friends with Mr. Carrot and all his friends who live over and under the ground."

Gabe strokes his chin sagely; looking impressed, he says. "Is that so? I will surely tell my friends about how smart Alex is."

"Really?"

Gabe nods. "Of course. Good examples are hard to come by, so how can I not brag about the boy who is not only smart but also kind and helpful." The tiny creature pauses. His brows knit, "But will this smart big boy really show kindness to one such as me? Will he help me get back home?" He voices his thoughts, pouting at Alex and looking equal amounts worried and scared.

Alex blinks and looks at Zhandra.
The girl rolls her eyes. "He is asking if you will help him get home, Alex."

"Ohhhhh." Alex nods slowly at first and then stands up. "Alex is smart and kind and helpful. Daddy said that we should always be kind and helpful to others."

Gabe smiles. "And your daddy is absolutely right. He is a good adult. I wish-"

"Gabe, we don't have much time. And we can't keep making trips to the treehouse, so it would be better if you come inside." Zhandra interrupts.
"Daddy will believe me now," Alex states out of the blue.

"No!"

"Don't!"

The celestial being and the girl exclaim at once, throwing panicking looks at each other.

"Why?" The five-year-old demands. "Daddy says we should not hide things from him."

Alex was absolutely right. For children mustn't hide things from their parents.

Zhandra's face falls. She feels torn between following her father's teaching and listening to Gabe, who the girl thought could tell her about her mom. After all, Gabe had told her earlier that he was from heaven, the same place her mother had gone to after she had left them.

Gabe crosses his arms over his chest. "You, my dear boy, have passed the test. You are indeed smart."

"I did!? I mean, I did." Alex giggles.

"Your father is right or telling you that. It's indeed not safe for children to hide things from their parents." Gabe looks past Alex, "But you see, if your father or any other adult saw me, I would never be able to return home."

"Why?"

"Well, those are the rules."

"But why?"

Gabe opens his mouth and closes it. He finds himself at a lack of an answer. It was the first time anyone had asked him this question. For that matter, he realizes that he had never questioned the rule either; he had just accepted it. 'I must ask My Lady about it when I return home.' Gabe decides and is about to tell the same to Alex when he hears a voice, 'It's been six minutes, Zhan. I need you to come back inside.' followed by the now-familiar sound of the backyard door swinging open.

"Oh no!" Zhandra whispers urgently and goes to the toy house window. "Jane, we will be right inside. Sorry."

"Fine, but be quick, alright?" The teen yells over the sound of falling rain.
Zhandra nods and directs a thumbs up at Jane, who thankfully goes back inside.

The girl turns to her brother. "Alex, do you know where he came from?"

Alex knits his brows in concentration. Then in a soft voice, he offers, "From heaven?"

Zhandra looks at Alex encouragingly and smiles. "Aaaand?"

Alex's eyes twinkle. "Mommy lives in heaven!" He squeals. 

"Yes, and if he can't return, he won't be able to tell mom about us...about you."

Alex turns to Gabe. "You know our mommy?"

"Yes, I do," Gabe replies sincerely. "I know Pepper too."

Zhandra gasps. "Mrs. Landen's cat?"

"The very same one. Pepper is keeping your mommy company these days. She is a nice kitty." Gabe muses. "In fact, just the other-"

"Gabe," Zhandra calls, pulling Gabe out of his lecture mode and says sternly. "We don't have time for that now." She turns to her brother, "Alex, will you help me get Gabe home or not?"

"Gabe, are you not Mr. Bighead's cousin?"

"I wish I was that lucky as to call Mr. Bighead my cousin. Unfortunately, however, I am not." Gabe replies and facepalms. "I am so forgetful sometimes. In all this getting injured business, I forgot to introduce myself properly." He stands up straight, winces, pretends like he didn't wince, and bows slightly. "Hello, I am Gabe, your friendly neighborhood fairy."

"Fairy?" Both the children repeat simultaneously.

"Yes. Why?" Gabe rests his face on his palms. "I am the most charming fairy in all realm." Then, looking between the kids, he adds, "Not my words. That what My Lady told me."

The backyard door creeks again.

"Uh-huh!" Zhandra shakes her head. "Sorry, Gabe." She whispers hurriedly and picks up the tiny, charming creature. "Oh, my Ladyyyy!" Gabe hisses. Zhandra looks at the fairy apologetically, "Please bear with me for a few minutes. I will be gentle." She reassures and gently places the grumpy, pouting creature inside her sling.

She turns to Alex. "Are you going to snitch on me again?" She demands, fixing Alex with a challenging gaze, and the boy shakes his head. "I want to help Gabe go back to mommy." He answers resolutely.

It is at this very moment that an extremely disappointed Jane walks inside. Like a puppy after a disagreeable bath, she shakes her limbs and head before scrunching her nose and huffing angrily. "You guys had me worried!" She gives the siblings a once-over, and in a concerned tone, asks, "Are you guys alright?"

Alex opens his mouth, but Zhandra steps forward. "We are fine, Jane. Sorry for worrying you. I got distracted by the dollhouse. We were just about to leave."

"Are you sure?"

The siblings nod, all too eager to leave the toy house now that they had done what they had planned to do.

As soon as the motley crew is inside, Zhandra suggests Jane dry her wet hair. 'Because daddy says chest and hair should be kept dry or else we might fall sick.'

Meanwhile, Zhandra runs to their room with Alex close behind. She takes Gabe out and places him on the bed.

"Eeeewwwww! Stinkyyyy!" Gabe pinches his nose and closes his eyes shut. "Take me away from here!" He pleads, shaking his head.

The kids look at him, surprised. Alex walks over to his bed. "It's not stinky, Gabe. I haven't had an accident in a long time." He elaborates and buries his face, first in the mattress and then in the neatly folded sheets. "They are not stinky." He states, crossing his arms over his chest.

The next one to speak is Zhandra. "Gabe, it is not nice to lie." She reprimands, wondering why Gabe had said something like that.

Gabe throws his hands up and waves them around. "It was not my intention to hurt you, dear friends. But there is definitely something stinky here." He moves around on the bed. His nose twitches as he scans the bed. Finally, he points at a place approximately at the center of the bed. "This is where the bad smell is originating from." He informs, and just like Alex had done moments ago, he too buries his face in the mattress.
When he looks up, his face is paler. "I don't like it, Zhandra. Please take me elsewhere." He pleads, and looking to Alex, he continues. "Alex, I know you haven't had an accident. But even if you did, it's alright. That's why they are called accidents, right?"

Alex smiles. "I guess."

Gabe reciprocates it, but before he can say more, his eyes glaze over, his head spins. He puts his hand inside his pouch. "Read the book." He says softly, pulling his hands out and blowing fine, glittering sand at the siblings. "Take.. me...someplace.. els-" Without finishing the sentence, he closes his eyes and collapses on the bed, bottom first.

"Oh no. Oh no!" Zhandra's brows disappear into her hairline. She sneezes.

"Zhan, what happened to Gabe?" Alex walks closer, rubbing his nose; he pokes Gabe. "Gabe... Hey. Wake up."

Gabe doesn't wake up; Zhandra stares at the creature's pale face. Tears roll down her chubby pink cheeks. She leans towards Gabe and puts a finger under his nose.

Her silent tears turn to sobs. "I am so stupid; Gabe is from Heaven. He can't die just because he smelled something bad." She mutters, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. Careful not to put pressure on Gabe's wings, she lifts him in her arms.

"Is he like this because of me?" Alex asks, tugging at Zhandra's shorts.

Zhandra shakes her head. "I don't think so." She chews on her lips subconsciously while cradling the tiny form in her arms and starts walking towards her wardrobe.

"Zhan, what are you doing?"

"I think he was asking us to take him elsewhere," Zhandra replies opening the door to her wardrobe.

Just then, Jane's voice floats over to them, getting closer by the second. 'What are you guys doing inside? I hope you are not hatching any plans that will make my life harder.' An amused chuckle follows the words just before the door to the kids' room is thrown open, and Jane steps inside.

{Chapter Word count : 2166;
Word count so far : 6423}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 756 37
[COMPLETE] Twelve-year-old Blue was a dreamer and a believer of all things impossible. But even her all-encompassing imagination could never have tho...
330 33 11
Two young siblings think they are too old to believe Grandma's tale of Unicorns. But youth will always be curious and magical. When Grandpa gives the...
1K 17 10
When Natsu gets turned into a child, Lucy is forced to take care of him, in hopes of turning him back to normal. Will Natsu be able to go back to the...
961 211 8
Open Novella Contest 2024 Entry Cassia Rose made a mistake: she didn't believe the legends, but they're real. And learning this truth may just...