Next Girl | ๐Ÿฅ‡ 2023 Amby Winn...

By SueLou66

On steamy, hot summer days, the parched soil cracks like ice into jagged lines resembling lightning blowing u... More

Prologue
Aesthetic Boards
Chapter One * Meeting
Chapter Two * Seduction
Chapter Three * Falling
Chapter Four * Expectation
Chapter Five * Caught
Chapter Six * Reflection
Chapter Seven * Charmer
Chapter Eight * Revelation
Chapter Ten * Absolution
Chapter Eleven * Confrontation
Chapter Twelve * Revenge
Chapter Thirteen * Retaliation
Chapter Fourteen * Epilogue

Chapter Nine * Warning

145 30 35
By SueLou66

I was excited for Rain to come home tomorrow. He must not have had the time to contact me because I've not heard from him all day. It's been so lovely hearing from him while he was away. It made missing him a little more bearable. That was until I overheard a conversation between two nurses today.

I try to convince myself that they were not talking about my Rain, but I know they were. How many damn Rain's could there possibly be in the greater Harrisburg area?

I hate how their words made me feel. Rain has admitted that he was a player in the past and never slept with the same woman twice. Why does it hurt so much knowing that the blonde, large-breasted nurse slept with my man? God, just hearing her gush about how amazing he was in bed and how she still hopes that he'll call even though it's been six months since she had sex with him has me fuming.

She had to be the girl right before me or directly after we met. My head knows that I shouldn't hold it against Rain, but my heart hurts at the thought of him being with that woman.

Kelsey touches my shoulder. "Hey. What's wrong? You've been staring at that same MRI for ten minutes."

"Nothing. I'm fine," I snap back.

"I'm fine is the definition of not being fine. Spill it."

I know Kelsey means well, but I have no intention of repeating what I overheard earlier about Rain.

"I just miss Rain, okay?" It's not a lie.

She pats my shoulder. "Rain comes home tomorrow, right?"

"Yep," I quip, wanting this conversation to end.

"You can handle one more day, Summer. He travels a lot. I hope that you're not going to mope around every time Rain goes away on business."

I force a smile onto my face. "I know. It's just hard."

Kelsey looks at me with understanding. "I'm sure it is. At least he has been in contact with you while he was away this time."

"He has," I admit.

"Well, there you go. Tomorrow will be here soon enough." She encourages me.

"It will. I missed not hearing from Rain today." I shrug, knowing that it's not the whole truth.

"Girl, you've got it bad." She laughs as she leaves me with my tormented mind.

I leave work and make my way to McGrath's for a much-needed drink. The packed bar has one seat by a pretty blonde who looks to be saving it for someone. I search till I see that the back booth is available. I walk over and plop myself down. Becky stops over to give me a menu.

"Hi, Summer."

"Hi, Becky. It's pretty early in the evening to be this busy."

"I know. I went to the back to get an order and came out to this craziness." She glances at the bar and sees that Gus has my drink waiting for her to bring it over.

"It looks like Gus saw you come in. Be right back."

Becky goes over, retrieves my lemon vodka, and returns to me.

"Are you eating tonight?"

"Nope. Alcohol is my dinner tonight."

"Rough day?"

"Yeah, you could say that." I pick up my glass and take a large gulp of my drink. "Can you ask Gus to make me another one, please?"

"Sure, doll." Becky nods with understanding.

I see Becky talk to Gus, and he looks at me with concern.

Becky returns and places my vodka and a glass of ice water on the table. Of course, Gus can see from the bar that my head is not in the right place. I catch his eye and raise my water to him and smile. He smiles and winks at me before making his rounds around the bar.

I recheck my phone, still nothing from Rain. My mind right away goes to a dark place. Who am I to think that I'm enough for Rain? He's a sex god. He's going to get tired of me and leave me heartbroken. Damn heart, I tried to tell you, but you wouldn't listen. You had to go and fall in love with a man who every woman with a pulse desires.

My heart stops. Did I say that I love Rain? Do I love Rain? My heart says, yes!

I perceived his entrance into McGrath's without having to observe him strolling through the door as if the entire establishment was his stage to perform his beguiling act. Every woman, sans myself, snapped their heads to stare at him without an ounce of discretion as he approached a beautiful, snowy blonde at the bar.

Rain lied to me. He said that he was not coming home until tomorrow.

I watch with trepidation as he approaches the beautiful, snowy blonde at the bar. He smiles at her, and my heart drops and shatters into a million pieces. She moves her purse, and he sits next to her. Why would he do that? He knows that I was coming here tonight.

This scene is all too familiar. I've been here, and I was once that girl. I'm fully aware of precisely what he is saying to her as he leans in, brushes her hair aside, and whispers into her ear. I notice the heated blush crawl from her slender neck up to her high-boned cheeks, matching her ruby red lips.

I'm determined to do for her what I wished someone would have done for me. I remain in my undisclosed booth for my opportunity. I prepare myself to pounce on this alluring, unsuspecting woman like a lioness protecting her cub. When the moment occurs, I waste no time as I quickly walk over to the "Next Girl."

"Hello."

She looks surprised as she takes me in.

"Hey, you don't know me, but I felt the need to come over and warn you about the guy who was just sitting here with you." I struggle to keep it together.

"You know him?" I see her eyes go up and down my body sizing me up.

"Yeah, I know him. Listen, I just wanted to caution you." I feel tears welling up in my eyes, and attempt to blink them away. "He's a player. A once and done kind of guy."

"Is that so?" She looks amused.

"Yeah, well, I just thought I'd let you know what kind of guy you're dealing with." I turn and bolt for the door; I do not even pay my bill. I'll text Gus later and explain.

I sob as I rush home, realizing my heart and soul is drowning from the torrential storm that is Rain Grant.

I get inside my apartment and slide down my door. I bend my knees into my chest and wrap my arms around myself. My body shakes as I cry. Damn heart!

I'm not sure how long I was on the floor when I was startled by a loud knock on my door.

"Summer?"

My crushed heart gasps.

"Summer, open the door. I know you're in there."

I say nothing.

"Summer, Gus told me that you ran out of McGrath's after talking to Tabitha. Please open the door and let me explain."

I want to move, but I can't. Who the hell is Tabitha?

I hear him sigh with exasperation. I can picture him running his hands nervously through his soft, thick hair. Settle down, heart.

"Summer, I'm begging you, please open the door. I came home early to surprise you. I was shocked to see Tabitha. Shit!"

Is he crying? Is Rain Grant crying over me? Does he care? No. I know what I saw. There's no way that he could care about me and touch that woman the way he did.

I tried to warn her about Rain. The way she smirked at me, I could tell that she had no intention of listening to me. She wanted him, but he is here pounding on my door, begging me to listen to him. He's not there with her. Maybe she did listen to me and got the hell out of there before he returned from the men's room.

I felt Rain bump the door behind me. I assume he is now sitting on the other side. I hear him crying and whispering my name. I didn't think my heart could break any further, but here it is shattering once again.

My phone dinged, indicating that I received a message. I pull it out of my pocket, glance at it through teary eyes, and see that Gus texted me.

Summer, hear him out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

284K 9.2K 59
Samantha Jones has lived most of her life in a small village she can't await to escape. No matter her story and background, she has worked ridiculou...
1M 16.9K 62
-"Fuck I can't wait to taste you." He says under his heavy breath. Excitement courses through my body as Tyler wraps my legs around his waist so he...
1.6M 37.2K 69
โYou Might Be My Angel In Public, But You're My Whore In Bed.โž โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” "Are you ready for me baby?" I nodded my head licking my lips seductivel...
1.4M 48.9K 61
I turn around and look into his blue eyes, searching them. When I'm certain that he's not lying, butterflies erupt in my stomach and I gulp audibly...