Next Girl | πŸ₯‡ 2023 Amby Winn...

By SueLou66

On steamy, hot summer days, the parched soil cracks like ice into jagged lines resembling lightning blowing u... More

Prologue
Aesthetic Boards
Chapter One * Meeting
Chapter Two * Seduction
Chapter Three * Falling
Chapter Four * Expectation
Chapter Five * Caught
Chapter Six * Reflection
Chapter Seven * Charmer
Chapter Nine * Warning
Chapter Ten * Absolution
Chapter Eleven * Confrontation
Chapter Twelve * Revenge
Chapter Thirteen * Retaliation
Chapter Fourteen * Epilogue

Chapter Eight * Revelation

167 30 104
By SueLou66

I wasn't prepared to meet Summer's mom this morning. It took me a moment to get over my initial shock and turn on the charm. I tell myself not to look at her as Summer's mother but as a woman. If there's one thing that I know how to handle, it's a woman.

Instead of offering her my hand, I pull her into a casual hug. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Valerie. I can see where Summer gets her beauty."

She looks at Summer and grins. "This one's a keeper, Summer."

Summer beams at me and winks. "He sure is."

I return her smile and feel that now familiar tug at my heart as I release her mother from my arms. What is this woman doing to me? I ask myself that question daily.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" Summer inquires.

Valerie shrugs. "You never called me back."

"Seriously, I just got up and was enjoying my breakfast. I haven't had the opportunity to call you back." Summer does not even try to hide her irritation.

Valerie looks at our half-eaten breakfast. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I should leave."

"Now that you're here, you can at least tell me what was so important that you had to drive here to tell me."

I watch the back and forth discussion between Summer and her mom, causing me to feel a bit awkward. Do I continue to stand here or go to finish my breakfast?

Thank God Summer saves me. "Rain, why don't you finish your breakfast before it gets cold."

I kiss her cheek and nod towards Valerie. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Valerie."

"Trust me; the pleasure's all mine. Summer's never had a boyfriend before."

"Mom!" Summer is full-on blushing, and I love it!

"What? It's the truth." Valerie answers her innocently.

I laugh and head back over to the bar, but instead of eating my meal. I turn the oven on a low setting and place both of our plates in to keep warm. I sit on the stool and look through my email, trying not to eavesdrop. It's impossible.

Summer crosses her arms. "Okay, Mom. Why are you here?"

I glance over and see Valerie's disposition drastically change. "I received a phone call this morning from the nursing home. Grandma has taken a turn for the worse. I didn't want to tell you over the phone. They said that she might not make it through the day." I see tears well up in Valerie's eyes, threatening to spill down her cheeks. She's trying hard to stay strong for Summer.

"What? Why didn't you start with that?"

I can't help myself; I rush over and embrace a shocked Summer. I hold her as her mother's words sink in. She starts to shake. I know that she's crying even though she's not making a sound, but her tears wet my tee-shirt. I see Valerie struggling to keep it together. I open my arms, and she doesn't hesitate to join her daughter. She places her arms around Summer and me. I stand there being a rock for these two women. My heart is heavy with their impending loss.

It was a rainy, miserable morning the day Summer said her final goodbyes to her grandmother. I insisted on driving the three of us to see Summer's grandma when Valerie came to Summer's apartment with the devastating news.

The service was graveside underneath tents that protected us from the elements. Very few were in attendance. I had to postpone a business trip to be there for Summer. Unfortunately, I have to leave today for that trip. Summer claimed that she was doing well and insisted that I go.

Unlike past trips, I'm making it a priority to keep in touch with Summer. I send her a quick text letting her know that I landed.

Hey, Babe. I just landed in Cincinnati. I'm heading to the hotel and will be in meetings the rest of the day. I'll do my best to call you before bed if it's not too late.

She's quick to respond, and I laugh out loud at her response.

Who is this? I have to warn you; I have a boyfriend. He never texts or calls while he's away on business, so you can't be him.

I know that I have to get going, but I can't resist texting her back.

He sounds like a fortunate man who's possibly turning over a new leaf.

I see bubbles appear then disappear, only to appear again. I stand there like an idiot smiling.

Oh, he's fortunate, and so am I. I love him for turning over a new leaf on my behalf.

I stare at the message, and that four-letter word pops out. I'm taken aback at that word. Does Summer love me? I stand there dumbfounded by the way my heart skipped a beat when I read that. Does she expect me to say it back?

Another text materialized in front of my shocked eyes.

Stop overthinking us.

She throws my words back at me, and I smile once again as I head out to grab a cab to my hotel.

I had just enough time to check-in and put my bag in my room, quickly grab my computer case, and head to the meeting room to prepare for my presentation with Good Samaritan Hospital. I'm testing my computer connection to the video projector when I feel a gentle touch on my arm. Without even looking I know it's Tabitha Baxter.

While I may have been a player, I don't sleep with my associates or clients. I have no interest in having that awkward meeting after a one-night stand. Miss Baxter has been trying to break my resolve for years. She's the type of woman that I find attractive. Her plump breasts, white-blonde hair, knock-out body, and beautiful face have tempted me on more than one occasion. However, this time, I think about Summer and how Tabitha has nothing on my gorgeous lady.

I pull my arm away, which surprises her. Although I won't sleep with her, I do flirt with her and allow her to have physical contact with me when we're together to appease her as my client. I'm sure that those around us believe that we do sleep together when I'm in town. She's in charge of purchasing medical and pharmaceutical supplies for Good Samaritan Hospital, so it's not unusual for us to see each other when traveling here with new items to present.

"Hello, Tabitha." I try to remain casual and not flirt.

"Rain. Is everything okay?" She can sense something is off.

"Everything is fine. I'm just finishing up here." I begin to place copies of my presentation around the meeting table.

"Okay. Care to share why you postponed this meeting?"

I  don't even look up at her.

"Personal business." I kick myself for not admitting that I have a girlfriend. It's none of her business, but I also want her to keep purchasing from me. Does that make me an asshole? Absolutely.

I complete my task and head back to my computer. Tabitha comes up behind me, rubbing her chest against my back as I'm looking at the screen to make sure the image is in focus. I step away from her and am happy that the remaining clients are beginning to arrive. Thank God Tabitha switches to business mode. I cringe at the thought of having to be in the same city as her for the next several days. She has a way of hanging around my hotel when I'm in town.

The presentation went well, and we decide to meet at 7:00 for dinner at the hotel restaurant. Tabitha hangs back as I clean up from the meeting readying myself for tomorrow's presentation with Mercy Health.

"Drinks?"

This woman never gives up.

I force a smile onto my face. "Sorry, Tabitha, not today. I have to tweak my presentation for tomorrow, and I don't want to do it while intoxicated."

She looks at me with a confused expression. Damn it.

"How about after dinner?" I offer.

Her face brightens. She leans up and kisses my cheek. I realize at that moment how stupid that I've been to let this woman get so comfortable with me in order to execute a sale.

"I'll see you at dinner."

I've never been so relieved to have a woman walk away from me.

I have a deep desire to call Summer and practically run to my room. As soon as I shut the door, I'm pushing Summer's contact. It occurs to me that I never changed Summer's name to a number as I have in the past with other women. I make a note to delete every one of those numbers.

"Hello? Rain, are you okay?" I sigh at just hearing her voice.

"I am now," I confess.

"It's not bedtime." I can picture her sweet face scrunched up in confusion.

"I know. I didn't want to take the chance of being too late to call you later." There is truth to my words.

I sure as hell wasn't about to tell her about Tabitha's relentless pursuit of me and that I needed Summer to keep me grounded.

"Awe. Babe. That's so sweet."

My heart squeezes. Summer's never called me Babe. That has been one of my many nicknames for her.

I have to call her sexy ass out for it. "Babe? I kind of miss Sex God."

She laughs, and it's the sweetest sound to my ears. "Of course, you do."

We talk for over an hour. I miss Summer so damn much and tell her so, and she lets me know that she misses me too. If this is how love feels, I don't understand why the hell I'm so afraid.

I've successfully avoided Tabitha this week as much as I could. Since finished early, I'm coming back a day early to surprise Summer and plan to show up at McGrath's tonight. It's one of her regular days to stop for a drink before heading home.

My flight lands, and I get home with enough time to shower, change, and get to McGrath's. Traffic ends up being horrendous due to an accident. Oh well, guess that she'll already be there. It'll still be a surprise. I smile at what her reaction will be.

I walk into McGrath's and take a brief moment to find Summer. The bar is packed, and I'm dismayed seeing Tabitha sitting at the bar, saving a seat. Now I know how I was able to avoid her. She was no longer in Cincinnati. I walk directly over to her. She smiles when she sees me and moves her purse off of the empty chair. I do my best not to tell Tabitha exactly how I feel. She's still a client, and I know for sure my boss would lose his mind if he heard what I want to say to her. I plaster on a smile and sit next to her.

"Tabitha, what are you doing here?" I try my best to keep the anger out of my voice, but this is harassment. I have no clue how to handle this. I don't want to make a scene.

"I heard you tell Steve about this place when he asked about your favorite bars in Harrisburg. I took a chance that you'd be here tonight thinking that if I could get you out of our usual business setting that we could finally explore what we both want. I love you, Rain, and know that you feel the same way about me."

I lean over, move her hair away from her ear and quietly speak to her in a stern voice. "You think it's love, but I promise you it's not. Tabitha, this highly inappropriate. I'm going to the men's room, and you had better not be here when I return, or I'm reporting you to Good Samaritan's Human Resources."

I see the heat move its way up her neck and into her cheeks. She is speechless as I turn away from her and go into the men's room.

What I didn't see was my sweet Summer watching everything transpire between Tabitha and me from a dark corner booth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119K 2.2K 21
"Nobody can find out how wet I make your pussy, Is that what you're saying?" "I don't even know you for gods sake." He laughed, "Maybe not but you wa...
6.3K 305 13
"There's just something about you" he said looking at me, almost like he could see my soul "Something about me?... it's the chase Elliot, you'll g...
144K 5.8K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
1.4M 48.9K 61
I turn around and look into his blue eyes, searching them. When I'm certain that he's not lying, butterflies erupt in my stomach and I gulp audibly...