River and Wood, A Minecraft T...

By WanderingEldest

(MINECRAFT PILLAGER X OC) She's been the hero of the valley for longer than she can remember. The last of her... More

Chapter One, The Inferno
Chapter Two, Cadia Village
Chapter Three, Mercy?
Chapter Four, Home at Last
Chapter Five, We Meet Again
Chapter Six, There are Monsters Nearby
Chapter Seven, The Raid
Chapter Eight, Dance with Destiny
Chapter Nine, The Ravine
Chapter Ten, Grief
Chapter Twelve, Pisces Village
Chapter Thirteen, A Story of the Past
Chapter Fourteen, Through the Night
Chapter Fifteen, Ancient Voices
Chapter Sixteen, Stand With Me
Chapter Seventeen, The Final Battle
Chapter Eighteen, Father?
Chapter Nineteen, Home
Chapter Twenty, Fate's Promise
Author's Note/ART

Chapter Eleven, Far From Home

71 2 2
By WanderingEldest

"River. River, wake up." His voice tore her from sleep as her eyes slowly adjusted to the dim light shining in through the window. It was likely early in the morning, where the sun was just barely rising. Memories of the night before drifted in and out of her mind. Her face was still slightly pink as those memories came back. "What is it?" She asked him quietly, still in a daze.

"They found us. I don't know how-but they found us."

Her gaze drifted towards the window, causing her heart to drop and shatter into a million pieces. He was right... they were there. At least twenty four boats were aligned on the ocean's horizon, each likely containing a large number of men. Wood's expression was serious, and although he tried to hide it- he was fearful. She sat up quickly once his words sunk in. She was about to say something when a thud came from downstairs. "They're at the door! We have to move!" He quickly shoved his shoes back on his feet as she scrambled to grab her uniform and signature hat. Downstairs, River could hear their crossbows being thrusted against the iron door. "I bet stone is with them. Otherwise they couldn't have found us!" Wood growled, both panicked and irritated. Once they were fully dressed again, River turned to him. "Grab the map that's sitting on the table down in the library, and also some food for the journey! I'll grab armor and other materials! Go!" She ordered. Wood did so, rushing down the stairs whilst the banging continued. River frantically ran into the storage area and threw her satchel over her shoulder before tossing in her emeralds, compass, tools, and extra coal in case they needed to build a fire somewhere. If she had more time, she would've grabbed her crafting table as well. Dashing into the armory, she realized she couldn't leave her armor behind. Therefore, she placed down her satchel for a moment. Approaching the armor stand that was covered by a tarp, she yanked it off to reveal a set of shimmering, pure diamond armor. The bangs from downstairs grew louder and louder, followed by a few yells, "SURRENDER YOURSELVES!" Stone's voice called out. Just as she placed the diamond helmet on her head, Wood entered the room with everything she had asked him to get.

When he looked at her, he was surprised at what he saw. Sure, he had seen her in iron armor before, but never diamond. Even when fighting his kind, her appearance was always humble. The chest plate, leggings, and boots outlined her silhouette perfectly. He would've marveled at it for a little while longer if it hadn't been for the strangers at the front door. Before he could speak, a loud agonizing crash was heard from downstairs. "We're outnumbered. We have to get out of here! Follow me." River whispered sharply. Wood nodded, "Lead the way." With that, they began to make their way down the hallway as quietly as possible. Commotion could be heard downstairs. She could hear items being knocked off of shelves and additional storage closets being cracked open like an egg. Her only hope was that they wouldn't kill her livestock. She led Wood back into the storage room. At first he was confused, but then he watched as she moved a doubled chest out of the way to reveal a trap door. Multiple footsteps could be heard coming up the stairs. "Down the ladder, quick!" She instructed. Wood did so without question. The sack of supplies around his arm was dropped down as he hurriedly lowered himself into the darkness. River followed behind him, lowering herself down as well before dragging the chest back over the trap door as a means to hide the opening. Just as they were successfully climbing down, into the dark, the footsteps had approached the storage room. "Keep going." She whispered down at him, trying to move so that her armor caused as less sound as it could. "I built this tunnel years ago in case something like this was to happen."

They eventually reached the bottom of the ladder, where a slightly dimmed tunnel alit with torches awaited them. It smelled old and ancient, as if the tunnel had been there since the beginning of time. Wood's feet echoed against the floor as he stepped down. It had taken a long time to reach the bottom. They were likely at least two hundred feet below the surface. When he looked over his shoulder, he was surprised to see a beautiful black steed, tied to a fencepost. River jumped down after him, gesturing toward the horse she said, "This is Midnight. Let's saddle up. It won't take them long to figure out what happened to us."

River mounted Midnight, helping Wood behind her. Just as she grabbed the reins, a thud was heard from above. It echoed throughout the tunnel and into their ears, ringing loudly. They both looked back at the ladder for a moment. After a few seconds, the wood of the trap door came crashing to the floor with a flamboyant BANG. River turned and yelled, "Run, Midnight! RUN!!!!" The horse neighed and began to gallop down the tunnel, hooves slamming onto the concrete. Wood held onto River's waist as they sped down the hall, the sound of Stone's voice echoing behind them- "WOOD! YOU COWARD!" Stone roared. It was lucky Midnight had been down there, otherwise they would've been easily captured on foot. The damp wind of the tunnel kissed their faces as it blew past them. Midnight breathed heavily, but never slowed down, not even once. Wood was surprised at how far the tunnel went. She dug it herself... herself. It would've taken his tribe years and years to build such a thing. Footsteps echoed behind them as they rode through the darkness. He was expecting to come to a stop soon, but no. It went on and on for a very long time. Midnight didn't slow even once by the long journey. They must've been riding for at least half an hour. The light of the torches guided them farther and farther underground until they approached a rather large flight of stony stairs leading upwards. "C'mon girl, you can do it!" River said to the horse as she began to speed up the stairs as quickly as she could.

The stairs spiraled upwards and had many sharp turns. River knew every inch of it, and she knew Midnight would be able to fit every step of the way. Like the tiresome journey, it took a while to reach the top, and when they did, they were met with two iron doors. "Good job, midnight... good job." River breathed. The two jumped off her and made it for the door. River grabbed her reins so that they wouldn't leave her behind. Wood pried open the Iron doors until he was faced with a very large spruce tree, where its leafs were hiding the doors behind it. Once they felt the cool breeze of mountain air in their lungs, River slammed the door shut behind them, placing a nearby branch over its handles in an attempt to lock their pursuers inside. Wood smiled at her when she made her way back to them. She smiled back, glad that they escaped alive and well. The tunnel had ended in a large mountain biome that looked over the nearby sea. She had done well to hide the entrance by using the brush to her advantage. For a moment they seemed safe, and for a moment they sighed with relief. They were about to mount the horse again when the dreadful echo of a ravager's roar entered the air. Whirling themselves around, her face went white with horror. "Where do you think you're going?" Wood's father emerged from the crowd of pillagers that cornered them against the mountain's edge. River hadn't seen an evoker in years, she had almost forgotten what they looked like. "Get behind me, now!" Wood growled protectively, stepping in front of her. "Awe. It's cute you think that'll save her." Stone's voice intruded. Wood's eyes immediately shot to where his brother stood right next to his father. "What do you want from us, father?! Hasn't there been enough bloodshed already? If you let us go, you'll never hear from us again. No one has to die." Wood said loud enough for everyone in the tribe to hear.

"All I want is her blood. You have no idea who she is, Wood, what she's capable of." The evoker spoke. "Our rivals thought they were helping you by feeding you that little map. If she goes there, AND TAKES WHAT I WORKED SO HARD TO BUILD-" He yelled, sparks of blue and white magic radiating off of his fingers. "What do you mean? What are you hiding?! What could've been so important that you had to kill Coal?!" Wood shouted back in a means to interrupt him, both grief and anger in his voice. "Don't you understand, my son? Her ancestors bullied us to who we are- they outcasted us! SO I WIPED THEM FROM EXISTANCE!!! I sent them to the end so they could die and pay for their mistakes! I won't have her kill the beast I worked so hard to create! I WON'T HAVE HER FREE THE END!!!" He shouted. Wood appeared to be confused, but it was suddenly clear to River. "The end... Wood, the ender dragon! He created the ender dragon!!!" She whispered loudly with realization.

When she said those words, something inside his father snapped. Wood nearly fell to the floor as the dagger, red enchantment and all, jolted from the inside of his chest and towards the evoker's hand. The motion startled both of them, and Wood nearly fell to the ground because of it. River was able to catch him and help him stand straight. "Once she's gone... she'll stay gone. And once you're gone... you'll stay gone for all eternity." He said to Wood. River looked back to see how far they were away from the cliff. She knew that if they jumped they might make it. "Run to the cliff with me. We're going to have to jump." She whispered quietly enough to where the pillagers couldn't hear. "What?!" He asked. "Trust me." She replied. Just then she brought her fingers up to her lips and whistled loudly. Midnight reacted and began to gallop away, and the ravagers roared in frustration. It was then that arrows began to fly in their direction. River grabbed Wood's hand and whirled him around so they could run. The evoker only stood there with a twisted grin, "No matter how far you go, I will be lurking in the shadows ready to pounce. YOU CAN RUN! BUT YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO HIDE!!!!" His insane laughter sent shivers down their spines. It wasn't long before they approached the very edge of the cliff. Stone's voice almost made Wood hesitate, but there was no time to stop. "JUMP!" River yelled. He didn't think twice. It was a large drop that would've definitely killed them if they landed wrong. Together they hurled themselves off the rocky ledge as far as they could go, plummeting down into the icy sea.

She landed feet first, embracing the cold water no matter how bad it felt. Wood emerged before her, breathing heavily as his hood fell from his head long ago. He yelled her name until he spotted her a little ways away from him. As they treaded the water, they tried to catch their breath. "We have to get out of here, they have a whole armada after us." He breathed worriedly. "I know a place, but it's very far away from here." She said. "Where is this place?" He asked. "The Village of Pisces. It's past the sea and a little farther north." She explained. "Well, we won't be able to swim all the way there." He stated. "The fisher boats ride out to the ocean every day at noon, at least we won't have to swim all of it." Her voice soothed him despite the rough, salty ocean water. "I just hope we don't run into any drowned..." He replied. "They lurk at the bottom, let's just pray to Notch that they stay there."

And so they began to swim, with nothing but hope. Wood was scared, but not for himself. He could've cared less if he was the one at the mercy of his father's fingertips. The only thing he desired was her safety. He couldn't leave her, he was in too deep. As the rough waters crashed against them, as the coldness grew unbearable, he swore to Notch that nothing would harm her as long as he lived. He vowed he'd avenge Coal, and he vowed they'd survive....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 224 20
Lost memories. Almost everything he encounters wants him dead. And then he finds out he has a doppelganger?! Our hero stumbles into an adventure with...
12.9K 363 14
When she thought of her life as an artist, Aisleigh thought it would be absolutely divine. Her years at school did not prepare her, however, for th...
26K 924 61
Warning, kinda gross and mean, kinda vivid tourcher, awsome YouTube music, and Herobrine X Steve! Other added characters also. --------- Notch was t...
492 13 9
‼️⚠️? TRIGGER WARNING ?⚠️‼️ - NSFW/LEMONS, SEXUAL HARASSMENT/ASSAULT, GORE, MURDER, PROFANITY, VIOLENCE, EATING DISORDERS, SELF HARM, TORTURE, AND KI...