Music for the Silence

By CoralLevia5

She lived a horrible life for too long. After what happened with her last foster parents, lawyers had found a... More

Prologue
Poppin' Pappin' Encounter
Roselia and Afterglow
Pastel*Palettes
Hello, Happy World!
Music Introduction
First Joint Practice
Our Music is the Best
Everyone's Stage
Stage Preparation
Devotion
A Day for Silence
The Long Awaited Show
New Hire
Girls Band Conflict
Getting the Group Together
Kiss Up and Make Up
A Crack in the Silence
Event in Progress
Hidden Truth
Rumors of the Jailbird
Silent Past
Meeting the Disables
Band Audition
Vocalist
To Perform
Trouble Once More
The Five Outcasts
Coming Together
Practice
Everyone, Meeting!
We are OutKast!
Start the Music!

Friendly Meetings

168 3 0
By CoralLevia5

The next day, in the afternoon, Shizuka and Guren were at the live house working at the cafe; the former in cooking up meals, and the latter taking and delivering orders, all while being careful with her cast, especially during lunch rush. Shizuka worried as she watched her injured coworker work, but Guren constantly assured her she was okay. The mute could only hope she was not overdoing it.

"That sure smells good," the pianist commented, in which the guitarist nodded in gratitude for. "Kind of wish I can take my break now."

Guren was standing by the counter, waiting for Shizuka to finish whipping up an order for a hungry patron. The cafe area was filled with customers, but there was no line forming, much to the pair's relief. As Shizuka was finishing up with the order she was cooking, she gestured to her arm, in which Guren noticed and caught on to what she wanted to ask.

"Hm? My arm? Like I've been telling you all day, my arm is fine," she insisted. Shizuka did not seem convinced, as she had been all day. "I swear, I'm okay. Oh, by the way, regarding the band thing, I tried asking several students in my school earlier today if they were interested in joining a band, but as you would expect, since I'm the one asking, no one bothered to give me a moment of their time."

The mute became a bit saddened to hear that.

After their return to CiRCLE the other day, a return that also resulted in Marina instantly hugging Shizuka as she was worried sick for the girl after her sudden leave, the two of them had thought of ideas as to how to get word out about their recruiting members for their band. Guren suggested asking around school, under the assumption that Shizuka will ask around whatever school she goes to into at least trying out for their band, only for the mute to turn it around somehow and convince the pianist into taking her own suggestion and ask her school instead. After all, with how busy they had been for the event, especially with how understaffed they still were, Marina may have still have yet to fill out any sort of high school application for Shizuka. It did not help that the mute was still not feeling up to looking at some schools to apply to in the first place. Though with how she was getting along with Guren, she was starting to consider Haneoka.

And of course, due to Guren's already bad reputation from the rumors going on around school, whenever she even tried to approach any one of the girls about their band, they either avoided her or 'just happened to have more important things to do'.

"We just need a drummer, a bassist, and a lead vocalist," Guren listed off to Shizuka. "Of course, you can be the vocalist if you want, but considering how you have yet to let out a sound since our session, you're better off just being a lead guitarist."

The mute could not rebut that, for she knew the pianist was right, especially from yesterday's incident. Not once, not even when she fell when that woman pushed her down, did she make a single peep since their first session. It was safe and hopeful to assume that she could at least sing, but even if Shizuka would, as far as they both were aware, her voice wouldn't come through until some time into the song.

"Well, I'm sure we can think of something later. For now, we have an event to focus on," Guren stated.

Shizuka snapped her fingers to get her attention. Guren turned to the mute, and was being handed a dish for a customer. The pianist took the meal and brought it to the patron.

As she left, Shizuka began to prepare some dishes for the vocalists inside CiRCLE. The girls had arrived since morning to work on the new song, and the mute figured they may be getting hungry from all their brainstorming. Normally, it wasn't allowed to eat in the studios, but with the lack of empty seats out at the cafe, much less an empty table, she'd feel bad to have them leave and come back. Then again, drinks were allowed in the studio, and if she made something easy that wouldn't spill, it should be okay. She'll need to ask Marina just to be sure, though.

"Was there another order made?" came Guren's voice.

Shizuka looked up at her and shook her head. Instead simply pointed at CiRCLE's doors.

"Lunch for Marina-san? Wait, are employees even allowed to eat food from the cafe?"

Shizuka shook her head again and made a gesture for vocals.

"Oh, for Toyama-san and the others," Guren finally understood. "Is it okay to eat in the studio?" The mute looked away from her at the question, quite uncertain of the idea after hearing someone voice out the question. Guren instantly took note of the expression and instantly caught on. "Oh, you don't know... I could go ask Marina-san just to make sure. Besides, it's not like we have any seats out here, nor will we at any point soon. And drinks are allowed in the studio. It should be fine." The audible part-timer took one of the buzzers and made her way to the door. "I'll go check. Call me if a line suddenly forms. Probably don't really need to, though."

Shizuka could only wave as the girl left, and got to work on the vocalists' lunch.

******

A little later, in one studio room, the group in question all gathered around a table and were working on their new song.

"... So, how about this?" Kasumi asked her fellow vocalists, showing them the melody she had written.

"Yeah. Not bad," Ran approved, as Kokoro hummed to the melody written.

"The melody's almost writing itself now, isn't it," Aya said, elated with the progress being done.

Out of the five vocalists, Yukina was the only one who was silent.

"Yukina-senpai? Is there something on your mind?" Kasumi asked.

"Hmm? Oh, no..." Yukina answered, diverting her eyes away.

One person knew something was up. "Minato-san. You're not a very good bluffer," Ran stated.

"I just... I've never sung to a melody like this before. I'm trying to think how exactly I should do it," she admitted then.

"You just need to enjoy singing it, that's all. It's simple!" Kokoro simply advised.

"'Nothing speaks louder than music'. Who was it who said that?" Ran quoted.

Knowing quite well those were her own words, Yukina recollected herself. "You're right. I apologie, I got distracted. Let's get back to the song."

'Yukina-senpai is more serious about music than any of us... She's right to be worried. But if she has the support of her band, and all of us, then surely...' Kasumi thought.

A door opened, and the girls turned to see Guren there.

"Hey. Hope I'm not interrupting anything," she said.

"Guren-san! Hello!" Kasumi greeted.

"I came bearing refreshments," Guren said, entering the room with trays of rice balls and drinks in hand.

"Eh? But we didn't make an order," Ran said in confusion.

"This one is on Shizuka. She figured you might need a break."

"A wonderful idea~!" Kokoro exclaimed. "We can't come up with more ideas on an empty stomach!"

"But, are we allowed to eat in the studio?" Aya asked.

"I asked Marina-san earlier. It's okay. Besides, we don't have space outside for you girls to enjoy your meal anyway, so it's fine," Guren assured, setting the trays down on a table.

"If Guren-san said so, then it must be okay!" Kasumi said so trustingly. "Thank you for the food." She took a rice ball in hand and took a nice bite out of it. "Mmm~! Delish~! As expected of Shizu-chan~!"

"It tastes pretty good," Ran complimented. "Is this... honey chicken filling?"

"Honey is good for the throat," Yukina pointed out, also taking a rice ball.

Aya, rather than taking a honey chicken stuffed rice ball, took one of the grilled ones instead. "I'll have one of these." She bit into it and was taken aback by the taste. "Is this... apple?"

She was not the only who took a grilled rice ball, as Kokoro took a bite of one as well. "Ooh~! This is delicious! Tastes so appley~!"

"Senpai made these hoping they could help you girls with your singing, especially if you are practicing the lyrics for the song," Guren pointed out.

"Really? That's really thoughtful of her," Kasumi asked.

"She wants to do what she can to help, after all. Her, Marina-san, and myself."

When Guren said that last part, Yukina and Ran went silent, as they both glanced at each other. The pair, and all of Haneoka High School girls had yet to tell the others about Guren's plan to leave after the Girls Band Party. They did not want the others to be distracted with the thought of Guren leaving, especially not when that was not what the girl would want them to do.

"Speaking of, how is your arm?" Kasumi then asked.

"Nothing to worry about," Guren answered, pumping her arm in cast.

Earlier when the vocalists came in, they- especially the Hanasakigawa group- were surprised to see the girl's arm in a cast. When asked what happened, Guren told them she had fallen from a flight of stairs and broke her wrist, leading to it needing to be in a cast. A lie it may be, it was either that or telling the truth, and Guren could tell that doing that would result in them- especially the pure and kind-hearted pair- worrying about her even more. She much rather lessen their worries and have them focus more on the Girls Band Party.

While the Hanasakigawa trio believed her, the Haneoka pair were different. They could tell she was lying to them about her arm, but at the same time knew better than to point it out. For one thing, Guren would most likely deny their claim. For another, they, as well as the other Haneoka band girls- had already questioned her about her casted arm, only to be given the same response, as well as be told to focus more on the event. As hard as it was to do, especially when they knew of her plans after the event, the group all played along with the lie.

"Are you sure? Maybe you should've taken some time off," Aya said in a worried tone.

"I'm telling you, it's fine," Guren insisted. "Besides, CiRCLE is already short on staff members, and the Girls Band Party is coming up. I can't take time off now." Just then, the sound of buzzing was heard, and Guren took out a buzzer from her pocket. "Guess a line formed up front. I'll be leaving now. Good luck with the lyrics."

"Thanks! See you later," Kasumi waved, as the staff of CiRCLE took her leave. "Okay! Once we're done eating, let's continue working on the lyrics~!"

"Yeah!" Kokoro and Aya cheered in agreement.

Ran and Yukina could only nod in agreement, while at the same time wondering if there was a way to convince Guren to stay despite her misfortune.

******

Meanwhile, a bit earlier back out front, before Guren was summoned, Shizuka was taking a nice little break from all that time cooking. As she was taking a breather, she was approached by a pair of familiar faces.

"Um... excuse me."

The mute turned and saw, to her surprise, Hitomi and Miu standing by the counter.

"Hi. Is your friend here?" the girl in wheelchair asked.

Rather than give a straight answer, Shizuka raised a finger up to tell them to wait, before ringing a buzzer.

Several seconds later, Guren rushed out. "You called?" she asked Shizuka. Upon seeing the two disables, a surprised expression appeared on her face. "Huh? Aren't you two...?"

"Hello there," Miu greeted, while Hitomi simply bowed in greeting.

"Hi... uh... sorry. What were your names again?" Guren asked, causing the girl in wheelchair to chuckle in understanding.

"We never did properly introduce ourselves," she said. "I'm Wada Miu. And this is Hitomi."

"Hello," Hitomi greeted with a bow.

"And I assume the mute is Shizuka, and you are Guren?" Miu guessed.

"Yeah, that's right," Guren confirmed, with Shizuka nodding along. "And... why are you two here? Making an order?"

"Actually, we wish to audition for your band."

At her response, everyone, even Hitomi, was taken aback in surprise.

"Wait a second, Miu! I didn't hear anything about this..." Hitomi said.

"You didn't? But I told you before we left," Miu said, confusing the blind.

"You... you did?"

"Yes. When mother asked where we were going, and I told her an acquaintance recommended me to a good place and I wanted to check it out."

"But I heard nothing about auditioning for a band. You don't even play a band instrument."

"But you do. And I know how much you want to play drums again."

"Being in a band is not some game, Miu; it's serious. And if these people are serious about their band, there is no way a blind like me could ever join."

"Even though the flyer said anyone can join regardless of background or situation?"

"Lip service, I'm sure! Only a group pretending to be a band would ever accept disables."

When Hitomi said that, Guren raised a brow with a judging expression. "'Pretending to be a band'?" she repeated. "So you're saying a mute like senpai here can't play?"

"Eh?" Hitomi asked, turning to where she believes Guren was. "That's not what I meant. I mean, just look at me. I'm blind. I can never play in a band again, much less play an instrument."

"Says who?" Guren questioned. "Was there ever a rule that said disables can't play?"

"Well, no. But I can't play if I can't see."

"You play drums, don't you? For how long?"

"Apparently since elementary school," Miu answered that time. "We're in our first year of high school now, and she used to be in a band before her accident."

Hitomi looked down at the wheelchair girl, baffled that she would tell them that. "Miu..."

"If you have that much experience, I don't see why we can't at least hear you play," Guren said. "That is fine, right, Senpai?"

Shizuka made the 'okay' gesture in response.

"See? Even Senpai said it's okay."

"That's great! Can we do the audition now?" Miu asked.

"We could, except for one thing; we're working right now. Though our break will be soon. Think you can spare a few more minutes?"

"Yes, of course."

While Miu did not mind the extra wait, Hitomi did. "Miu! We can't waste time here. What would I say to your mother when we get home late?"

"She's meeting with the other koto elders, and you know how long those meetings are. It'll be fine."

"But..."

"I'm telling you, it's okay. If anything, I can just tell mother the acquaintance sent me the wrong location. She won't scold you for that."

Hitomi still seemed hesitant, before finally relenting with a defeated sigh. "I understand..."

"You can wait in the lobby. We will be with you in a few," Guren told them.

"Sounds great. Let's go, Hitomi," Miu urged. With that, the blind grabbed the handles and pushed the wheelchair into CiRCLE, with the wheelchair girl acting as the guide.

As they left, Guren could not help but wonder about the two. They both seemed serious about Hitomi's audition in their own ways, but neither were on the same page about it. Still there was only one way for her to find that out.

She was not the only one wondering; Shizuka also found something funny about them. Rather, she found something familiar about one of them. Painfully familiar.

"Speaking of, senpai, how are we doing the audition?" Guren asked, realizing they did not talk about how auditions would be done.

Shizuka flinched at the question, also just realizing that problem.

Just that simple reaction was enough to tell her one and only band mate everything. "You didn't think about it, I see..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.1K 1.9K 73
(Y/N) and his best friend Alisa are the newest part-timers at Live House CiRCLE. What will happen as they help out the bands there? What will happen...
5.8K 168 19
Ari Hoshizora. He is a guitarist and vocalist in his band. He got an invitation from a friend of his uncle in Japan, to go to school there. There he...
9.3K 204 24
Y/N and Yukina are two childhood friends who share the same dream: to perform at Future World Fes. With Y/N's help, Yukina finally assembles her band...
3.1K 86 7
WHY IS NO ONE DOING THIS?!?!? (Y/N) (L/N). A man with who's living his job as a Game Designer for the famous mobile game, BanG DreaM! Girls Band Part...