𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓 π‡π€π‘πŒπŽππ˜...

By -JASONSGRACE

we say we're friends, we play pretend. [ ricky bowen x original character ] [ book one in the goddess series... More

disclaimer
perfect harmony
epigraph
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
024
025
author's note
SEQUEL

023

4.4K 185 35
By -JASONSGRACE

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧 𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗠𝗢𝗡𝗬

chapter twenty-three:
act one !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

MINUS THAT SMALL detail of Big Red accidentally playing the National Anthem instead of dimming the lights and turning on the scoreboard instead of the fireworks sound, Athena thought that the musical was going smoothly so far. Ricky and Nini had done a fantastic job during the karaoke scene and Kourtney had tried her best up on that stage. Athena had also done well in her first scene as Kelsi during What I've Been Looking For, and although it was a little weird just playing the piano while Ricky and Nini sang the song, everything had gone over okay.

Now, all of them were gathered back in the bomb shelter to try and help prepare for the performance of Stick to the Status Quo. Athena and was next to Kourtney, encouraging the girl on as Carlos and Violetta tried to help her learn Gina's intricate choreography. Although Athena wasn't in the dance itself, she still wanted to do something helpful. Whenever she didn't have a scene, there was a whole lot of waiting around, so she helped people go over songs, assist them in grabbing costumes, and in this case, going over choreography.

"Just a little further, Kourt," Violetta urged as the girl tried to do the splits. "It's okay, you got this."

Kourtney stood back up. "Mmm-mmm. Vi, this is as far as I can split."

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for Stick to the Status Quo," Miss Jenn announced as she walked into the room. "This is our biggest Act One showstopper, and you're all going to kill it because I love you. Any questions?"

Kourtney raised her hand. "I have a couple hundred."

"Wait, how is the Taylor dance break gonna work?" Seb asked. "Gina's tray-ography is really complex."

"I can run to the pit and have the orchestra cut that part," Carlos suggested.

Murmurs of disagreement echoed throughout the room. Athena frowned slightly. She knew Kourtney was new to this, but cutting out Gina's choreography would change the whole course of the number.

"Or we could just have Gina do it," Kourtney suddenly said.

Athena turned. Sure enough, standing in the doorway with a tray of cupcakes in her hand was none other than Gina. Gasps were heard all around the room and Athena let out an elated laugh. They all rushed up to her to greet her.

"Wow, you guys, I don't wanna interrupt," Gina voiced.

"How did you get here?" Carlos questioned.

"A friend bought me a last-minute flight back. I was gonna drop off these cupcakes and then hide in the gym and cheer you guys on."

"Gina, no one in the gym wants to hide more than I do right now," Kourtney stated.

She looked at Kourtney's costume. "Wait, are you playing Taylor?"

"I was, and it was nice, and now it's your turn to save my butt and do the dance." Kourtney held out the bedazzled tray. "Please. I'm asking you."

Gina looked to Miss Jenn for approval. "Can I?"

"Of course," Miss Jenn replied. "You can do the curtain call together. Let's hit the halls, people!"

"Come on, let's go get you ready," Athena told Gina, nodding her head over to the costume racks.

After a short couple minutes of Gina getting into her Taylor costume and having some makeup applied to her face, it was finally time for Stick to the Status Quo. Gina and Violetta were the first ones out of the bomb shelter since they were actually in the number. Athena tidied up the room a little bit before rushing out of the room once she heard the music start.

Athena ran as quickly and quietly as she possibly could to the backstage area so she could watch. However, she spotted Ricky in the hallway, pacing back and forth while wearing his red and white baseball tee costume. He looked up to see her walking straight towards him. Ricky smiled, his eyes brightening once she got closer.

"Hey, Attie," he greeted. "Where—"

She grabbed his hand. "We gotta go."

"Woah, woah, woah, Athena, slow down," Ricky commented quietly with a laugh once Athena had dragged them to the gym. "Why are you in such a rush?"

She looked up at him with the biggest smile on her face. "You're never gonna believe it. Come on."

The two of them walked inside just in time to see Gina go on. Athena squeezed Ricky's hand excitedly as the two of them watched Gina do her intricate tray choreography with ease.

"Gina," Ricky breathed out.

Athena nodded. "Yeah, I told you you wouldn't believe it."

"Everybody quiet!" Seb as Sharpay yelled from the makeshift balcony.

The crowd cheered, and Athena's smile widened even further. There was no doubt that Seb was pretty much born to play the role of Sharpay. He looked amazing in his pink costume and the pink makeup he had on really tied the whole look together. All of the dancers turned to look up at him. Athena caught Violetta's eye among them, and Violetta gave her a quick wink before focusing back on Seb.

"This is not what I want, this is not what I planned," Seb sang, walking down the steps while the boy who played Ryan did the same on the other side. The two of them reached the bottom and began to perform their duet dance. "And I just got to say, I do not understand. Something is really, something's not right, really wrong. And we gotta get things back where they belong."

Athena let go of Ricky's hand to clap for Seb and his partner as Ryan spun Seb around by holding an arm and a leg. However, as Stick to the Status Quo continued, Ricky took a couple steps backwards before leaving completely. Athena looked back and watched him in concern. What happened?

She followed after him, the sounds of the song drowning out as she closed the door to the gym behind her. Ricky kept making his way to the bomb shelter and Athena followed him inside. He didn't seem to notice her. Ricky placed his hands into the pockets of his jeans and began to pace around again.

"Are you okay?" Athena asked cautiously.

"Why didn't she text me she was coming?" Ricky questioned, finally looking towards her. "I've been texting her ever since Thanksgiving and now she just shows up unannounced?"

"Ricky, she was hurt," Athena answered, walking close to him. "Judging by the amount of times she moved, this was the first place Gina finally thought she could set her roots down in. And suddenly that was ripped all away. She probably didn't want to be reminded of everything she left behind."

He stared at her for a moment. "How do you just know everything?"

"Reading people is one of my many talents," Athena replied with a shrug. "Just don't get yourself too caught up on Gina right now, okay? She'll talk to you when she's ready. Promise."

As if on cue, excited chatter was heard in the hallway. Athena glanced over to see all of the dancers and cast members of Stick to the Status Quo entering the room. She gasped and immediately ran up to them.

"Oh my God, you did amazing!" Athena exclaimed, hugging Seb before pulling Violetta into a tight hug. "You guys, that was so good."

"All thanks to Gina," Violetta cut in as the girl stopped next to them. "Seriously, G, your choreo really put it all together."

"Aw, thanks Vi," Gina responded, giving her a quick side hug.

Ricky stared straight at Gina. "Still can't believe you're actually back."

"Yeah, well, one night only. Don't blink, you'll miss me."

Athena and Violetta shared a look. Violetta put her arm around Athena's shoulders as Athena crossed her arms, the two of them watching this whole thing unfold. It probably was rude to eavesdrop, but it was kind of hard not to when they were quite literally right in front of them.

"I didn't think we'd ever see you again," Ricky stated.

"That makes two of us," Gina agreed.

"I wish . . ." Ricky trailed off before letting out a small chuckle. "I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything. Just fly, dude."

"What?"

"It's time to get your head in the game."

Carlos then entered the room. "Troy and ballers in five minutes! Ricky, we need you in your harness, pronto."

A dancer slung Troy's jersey on Ricky's shoulder. "Here you go, bro."

"Yo, gotta go," Ricky told them. He stopped by Athena's side on the way out. "You'll come to watch me, right?"

She smiled up at him. "Always. Go crazy, Wildcat."

Ricky leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to her lips before rushing out of the door. Athena's face burned red under the stares from both Violetta and Gina.

Athena rolled her eyes. "Oh, shut up."

"We didn't say anything," Gina argued lightly, walking off towards the costumes with Violetta trailing after her.

The two of them sent smirks to Athena as they left her. Athena watched the two of them, yet she couldn't help the small smile that stretched across her face. She turned and walked out of the room, excited to see her boyfriend perform his big number.

--- ☆ • ♫ • ♪ • ♫ • ☆ ---

ATHENA STOOD BACKSTAGE, smiling slightly to herself as she watched Ricky get up on stage. She couldn't deny he looked ridiculously attractive in his Troy Bolton basketball uniform costume, but watching him sing and dance with a joyous expression on her face made her heart race even more. Athena nodded her head slightly to the beat of Get'cha Head in the Game as Ricky, EJ, and the other dancers began to perform.

"Just keep ya head in the game," Ricky sang as everyone moved to a formation center stage. "You gotta get'cha, get'cha head in the game." The rest of them echoed after him. "You gotta get'cha, get'cha head in the game. Come on, get'cha, get'cha head in the game. We gotta get'cha, get'cha head in the game."

"Woo!" everyone chorused.

Ricky let the basketball in his hand bounce after throwing it before catching it effortlessly. "Let's make sure that we get the rebound, 'cause when we get it, then the crowd will go wild. A second chance, gotta grab it and go, maybe this time we'll hit the right note."

Athena cheered for him as he hit the high note on that and clapped. Ricky glanced over at her for a smidge of a second in the wings, and she sent him a smile. He quickly winked at her before the performance went on.

"Wait a minute, not the time or place," Ricky continued, him and the others doing more choreography. "Wait a minute, get my head in the game. Wait a minute, get my head in the game. Wait a minute, wait a minute. I gotta get my, get my head in the game. I gotta get my, get my head in the game. Come on, get my, get my head in the game. I gotta get my, get my head in the game."

The harness that would lift Ricky up descended from the ceiling. Some of the dancers began to hook it onto him. EJ sent a thumbs up to Natalie on the Woo!, telling her it was time. Natalie began to pull the ropes, and Ricky lifted up off the ground. Athena clasped her hands together nervously. She knew Ricky could do it, but she was just anxious about the harness.

"Why am I feeling so wrong?" Ricky voiced. "My head's in the game, but my heart's in the song." He suddenly looked over at Athena in the wings. "She makes this feel so right."

Athena rolled her eyes playfully. She gave him a small wave, butterflies fluttering throughout her stomach.

Ricky raised the basketball above his head and focused back on the audience. "Should I go for it?"

Suddenly, he stopped in the middle of his line and the basketball dropped from his hand. Athena's eyebrows furrowed in concern and confusion as a pained expression made its way onto his face. She followed his shocked gaze to see him staring at his mother tucked under the arm of some guy that wasn't Mike. Athena immediately placed the pieces together. That was Todd, Lynne's new boyfriend.

"Oh no," Athena whispered to herself as the crowd was stuck in an awkward silence.

"I — I gotta shake this, yikes!" Ricky stammered out.

The music resumed and Natalie lowered Ricky. All of the dancers continued the song while some unhooked Ricky from his harness. However, Ricky barely sang anything and didn't focus on the choreography. Athena watched everything with her heart breaking for him. How could Lynne be so insensitive to bring her new boyfriend to Ricky's performance when she knew he was taking the divorce hard?

Ricky ultimately decided to leave the stage altogether. He immediately walked up to Athena and bent down to hug her tightly. Athena wound her arms around him comfortingly and ran her fingers through his hair as he buried his face into her shoulder.

"You . . . did you—" Ricky began, his voice slightly muffled.

"I did," Athena replied softly.

"Why — why would she bring him?"

"I don't know, Ric, I don't know." Athena picked his head up from her shoulder and put her hands on either side of his face, rubbing her thumbs gently across his skin. "It's okay. Everything is going to be okay. I'm right here, all right? And I'm not going anywhere."

"Attie?" Ricky inquired. "I — I feel like I can't breathe."

"Hey look at me."

His eyes wouldn't meet hers.

"Ricky, look at me," Athena urged gently. Finally, their eyes locked. "Follow my breathing, okay? Big, deep breaths. Ready?"

He nodded. Athena breathed in deeply before exhaling. Ricky followed, yet struggled a little on the first one. She did it again, and again, and again until his breathing was stabilized. Ricky let out a breath of relief and slumped his forehead against Athena's.

"Come sit down, Ric," Athena said quietly. "You're shaking."

Ricky allowed Athena to sit him down on a chair backstage. Athena wrapped her arms around him tightly as he rested his head on top of hers, clearly exhausted. Carlos, Seb, and Kourtney gathered around but kept their space, all worried for the boy as well.

"I messed up," Ricky stated. "And ruined the entire number."

"No, Ricky, that's not your fault," Athena responded. "Plus, it's not like anyone in the crowd is going to let this show define our future."

"Um, about that . . ." Kourtney interrupted.

Athena blinked. "Kourtney, please don't tell me anyone in the crowd is going to let this show define our future."

"Uh . . . I thought I was doing a good thing, but I think it backfired. You see that lady with the clipboard out there? That's the dean from the performing arts school Nini was looking at."

"You invited her?" Ricky inquired.

"Ricky, you need some water. You look like you're still shaking."

He lifted his head up from Athena's and shook it. "No. I know what I need to do."

Suddenly, he stood up and walked away. Athena's eyes widened and she got up as well, following after them. Ricky seemed to be on a mission as he approached one of the dressing rooms. Nobody was in there besides EJ, and suddenly, Athena knew what Ricky was doing. It was only confirmed when Ricky took off his Troy Bolton jersey as he walked into the room.

"Ricky, hold on a sec," Athena protested, stopping in the doorway.

He ignored her. "Hey! Listen."

EJ's eyes flickered in between Ricky and Athena. "What's going on?"

"You need to do the second act. As Troy."

"Ricky, wait," Athena pleaded.

EJ's eyes narrowed. "Are you sick?"

"No, I'm good," Ricky responded. "Just not good enough to help Nini get to where she wants to go. She may not be my girlfriend anymore, but we're still friends. I know about her dreams. This is her one chance and I'm not ruining it."

Athena's panic faded away and her eyes softened. Ricky really did have the biggest heart. Here he was, sacrificing his lead role for a girl he cared for so that she could potentially get into her dream school. Ricky's selflessness was one of the many things Athena loved about him.

"What are you talking about?" EJ asked.

"I'm screwing up out there," Ricky replied. "I had to have Athena calm me down, and this role . . . this is my first musical. Me screwing up is going to blow this for Nini and quite literally the rest of the cast." He held out the jersey further to EJ. "Will you do it? Go on, take it."

EJ reluctantly took the jersey. Athena wished him a quick good luck as he left the room to get ready to be Troy. She then approached Ricky, who seemed still frazzled and all over the place.

"Please don't be mad at me," Ricky begged. "I know I'm just going to mess up out there again and I don't want this show to be tainted by me. EJ—"

Athena held up her hand to stop him. "Ricky, I'm not mad at you. It's your choice to continue the show or not. And whatever you do, I'll support it. Promise."

"'Thena?" the voice of Violetta called out, making her glance over at the door. "Act Two is starting soon!"

Athena looked back up at Ricky. "I have to go. I promised Ashlyn I would play Wondering on the piano for her and I have a couple of other scenes I have to be in. Not to mention I have to play for Breaking Free."

Ricky nodded. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her lips. Athena kissed him back for a couple of seconds before pulling away. She squeezed his hand softly before making her way over to the door to leave. However, just as she was standing in the doorway, she turned her head back around.

"Hey," she announced, making him focus on her. "I love you."

A smile managed to spread across his lips. "I love you more, Athena."

With a blushing face and a racing heart, Athena walked back in the direction of the bomb-shelter, knowing that Act Two would be starkly different from Act One.

═ • ° • ✧ • ° • ═

all right I'm gonna say some things so here we go

1. GO STREAM DEJA VU RN. RIGHT. NOW. MISS OLIVIA RODRIGO HAS DONE IT AGAIN AND SHE DID NOT DISAPPOINT

2. this book is so close to 20k reads. um what

3. and there's literally two more chapters after this shut up. no bc what am I supposed to do for like a month until season two comes out

4. ricky looked so freaking good in the get'cha head in the game. he's so attractive pls

5. I HATED LYNNE IN THIS SCENE LIKE GIRL BYE WTF WERE YOU THINKING

6. all right besties let's remember that ricky's parents were the reason he couldn't say I love you to nini and that we shouldn't blame him <33333 I've seen a lot of tiktoks of people saying how frustrated they were with him but like . . . my homegirl nini should've been more patient with him like poor baby ricky just needed more time and that's okay

7. I saw an edit of charli d'amelio and olivia rodrigo and I was like omg. it's athena and nini 🕺🏼🕺🏼🕺🏼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 4.9K 30
"𝑻𝒆𝒍𝒍 π’Žπ’† π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• π’šπ’π’– π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓 π‘Ίπ’π’Žπ’†π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 π’˜π’Šπ’π’ π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’• 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 π‘Ίπ’Šπ’„π’Œ 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆...
73.8K 1.6K 29
π—œπ—‘ π—ͺπ—›π—œπ—–π—› - nina salazar roberts comes back to school after a tough summer. her most private secret gets shared, causing new friendships and te...
11.6K 525 21
so love me for who I am and for who I'm gonna be. [ ej caswell x original character ] [ book three in the fallin' series ] [ part of the good times a...
101K 3.5K 31
hearts on fire, we're no liars. [ ricky bowen x original character ] [ book two in the goddess series ] [ part of the good times and the bad ones ser...