Turning the Page (Ashton Irwi...

By Gingersnap1019

Rachel Kelly has always put others first. After a drastic life experience she is afraid to let a certain amou... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 5

22 1 0
By Gingersnap1019

               “RING!!!! RING!!!! RING!!!” I snuggled into my covers even to try to pretend the alarm wasn’t there and I had a few more hours to sleep. Though unlike the rest today were we could spend the day in the hotel doing whatever we wanted, today was the day when we were supposed to get to know who we were battling today.

               “HEY BITCH,” screeched out my roommate, “YOUR SUPPOSED TO GET THE ALARM!!!”

               “Okay Cynthia,” I groaned. Taking my time to personally irritate my “beloved” roommate.

               “Ugh you take forever,” she said sat up from her bed with her night mask on that read Beauty Sleep. I scoffed as I pressed the button to turn the alarm off that now read 6:03. Girl there is nothing beautiful under that mask.

               “I am taking the shower first,” Cynthia said as she locked the shower door before I could say anything. It hasn’t even been a week living with her and I still can’t stand her. I could never forget the day she walked in with her skimpy outfit and heels that she probably wore to her audition. She just looked at me for one second and said, “I didn’t know they allowed junior high kids to audition. You’re probably on Team Blake. He practically pities the young excuses for a singer.”

               We haven’t even done a performance yet and she thinks she is this big shot just because she is in her early twenties, goes to a performing art school, and had a four chair turn. It was just the icing on the cake when she said that she too was on Team Pharrell. Like usual I gathered all my clothes beforehand, ripped black skinny jeans, a 5SOS band tee, and my babies (black converse).

               After an eternity the bathroom door opened revealing Cynthia with her pink bathroom towel that she had to pull a few hairs from the maids too let her have. Talk about high maintenance. I sprinted towards the bathroom only to be engulfed by the mass amount of steam that was left by the she wolf. I made sure this time I locked the door, because last time Cynthia took my towels. And yet she thinks I am the immature one. Once I got in the shower I couldn’t help but dwell on my family back in Chicago.

I have called Grandma a couple of times and even with the amount of worry that overwhelms me, she always says that everything is fine over there. I was so desperate I even asked about Marely who I swear is part werewolf. Every time she says sorry she is that she can’t make it to my future performances because of work. Though every time I say that it is okay and we need the money. She works too hard, and one day I want to repay back everything that she has done and given me.

As I finished with the shower I dried myself and my hair with the connected hair dryer that was in the wall. I usually just put my hair in a braid but I looked at myself in the mirror and said, “Rachel you are going to feel pretty today.” I know a lot of people say that I am so lucky to have my red hair, but it is so curly and frizzy that I don’t know how to tame it. With that being said I usually just put it in a braid, but now today. After a grueling hour and a half I got it to a straight silky look, making sure to put hair products in my hair before to keep it natural and fresh of course.

Once I changed I got out of the bathroom to see Cynthia putting the final touches on her raccoon like makeup. I should have known she would have gone all out as usual. She was wearing a leather mini skirt, a pink crop top that stopped just above her belly button, and heels that screamed torcher.

“Didn’t you wear that outfit already?” she said with full of venom as she rolled her eyes without even really looking at my outfit.

“Whatever,” I said as I tried to brush her off, “I just want to be comfortable, and I don’t need to please anyone but me.”

I didn’t even wait for her, who no doubt was giving me her signature death glare, as I got my phone and heading out of the hotel room. If I would have waited any longer, things would have gotten ugly. As I make my way down the hall I see a familiar face exiting out a hotel room with a bellhop.

“Robert!” I said as I jogged my way towards him. Since that day where my family and I parted ways he has kept me company. Even though I am technically a guest I still want to help him with his list of to-dos throughout the hotel. He told me that his job is to get the guest’s luggage in their hotel rooms and other odd jobs. So far he has shown me a fraction of the hotel and I have met some nice employees. Even though his dream job is to become a writer, he is working here to pay for his tuition as he going to the nearby university to get his degree.

“Rachel!” he said as he turned around giving me a smile, “Hop on.” I immediately jumped on his bellhop as we made he pushed me towards the elevator. “You would not believe how terrible those people are that I had to help out.”

               “Oh those people in room 1003?”

               “Yeah,” he said as he rolled his eyes, “They were so snobby and treating me like shit, saying how slow I was and whatnot.”

               “Hey wash your mouth with soup or something,” I said in an attempt of a southern accent as I pointed out his use of foul language. He just chuckled at my childish ways.

               “Sorry Wendy,” he said with a smirk as he used that horrible nickname he gave me not too long ago. Of all things he chooses the fast food restaurant lady.

               “Stop calling me that,” I whined as the elevator door opened for us to enter. Once we were situated I pressed the button “L” to go down to the lobby.

               “Sorry, I can’t help it,” he said with no sincerity what so ever, “Hey isn’t the day where you go see your coach and meet the other contestants?”

               “Yeah and I am petrified,” I said with all honesty as I starred at the digital number above the elevator door as it slowly dropped down to the lobby floor.

               “Why it will be fun,” Robert optimistically said.

               “Because the only other contestant I know is Cynthia and if all the others are like that female dog then I don’t know what I would do,” I replied to my 19 year old friend as I banged my head on the bellhop handle. Finally the elevator door opened and we entered the lobby that only had a couple of people out and about.

               I hopped off the bellhop and said, “Thanks for the lift Robert. See you later.”

               “See ya Wendy.” As I mentally flipped him off I ran into my driver that drove me here from my auditions.

               “What’s up Phil?” I said as I put out my hand for a fist bump. He gave me a toothy smile as he returned the fist bump.

               “Ready to go?”

               “No, but I have to go at some point.”

.~.

               Once we arrived at the building Phil opened the door for me only to be escorted by a group of employees no doubt to a room that was filled with other contestants.

               “They are also with Team Pharrell,” one of them said, “Make yourself at home.”

               Most of them were surrounding our coach who was talking to them on the other side of the room. Probably sucking up to him so he can pass them on to the next round. Suck ups. Walking all over there was most likely too much effort so I decided to sit on a love sofa on the opposite side of the room. Pulling out my phone I decided to text David. There was only a two hour time different, so he was probably up now.Hopefully… He texted back immediately.

Me: Hey

David: Hey love! How’s everything going?

Me: Okay I guess. I am watching the other contestants on my team sucking up to Pharrell.

David: Haha! Well try to make friends.

Me: It will be painful but I will try for you.

David: That’s the spirit Rach! Got to go. Have tons of AP homework to get finished.

Me: Okay...

David: I will skype you tonight okay.

Me: Okay. Promise?

David: Promise. Love you as big as the sky!

Me: And I love you as bright as the sun and as deep as the ocean!

               I tucked my phone back into my pocket already aching the time apart we have. The only thing I longed for was to have his arms around me. Comforting me as we just laid down while just talking about our lives, hopes, dreams, and the future. Coming here was like jumping into a lion’s den. Afraid. Lost. And alone. As my mind dwelled towards back home I felt a tap on my shoulder. Quickly turning around I saw a girl. She looked slightly older than me. Probably by one or two years. Her blonde hair was in nice loose curls barely passed her shoulders. She wore a nice flowery sun dress that stopped right above her knees and brown combat boots. A weird combination, but she could pull it off. Her piercing green eyes blinked several times before she spoke.

               “Hi, my name is Elizabeth Miller. I am a country singer. Well trying to be that is,” she said in a thick Southern accent, “What’s your name.”

               “Rachel Kelly and genre… don’t know yet,” I said a continued to look up at her as I sat down on the couch.

               “Oh it’s really nice to meet you,” she said enthusiastically as she pulled me into a bone crushing hug, “Sorry I am a hugger.”

               “No problem,” I lied.

               “So,” she began as she sat down next to me. I slightly scooted away from her. She must have noticed my discomfort, because her smile faltered a little. Though just as fast as her frown she grew it into a grin. “I saw your audition. You were really good.”

               “My audition?” I questioned.

               “Yeah when everyone got to their hotel rooms we were able to see everyone’s audition tape. I guess to check out the competition.” Elizabeth tilted her head in confusion. “You didn’t get the tapes?” I slowly shook my head. Towards the back of my mind I suspected Cynthia was probably behind this, but honestly I didn’t really care about that female dog at the moment.

               Elizabeth smile, which I couldn’t believe was possible, grew as she took my hand and gave it a tight squeeze. “We can come back to my hotel room to look at the tapes if you want.” Even though I really wanted to snatch my hand away from her and walk away, I needed to remind myself that David did say to make friends. Plus Elizabeth was very sweet and optimistic, and I think the world and I need more of that.

               “Sure it will be fun,” I replied with a small smile.

               “Come on,” she said as she took my hand, “the others are following Pharrell outside to find who we are facing in the battle rounds.” For someone who looked as delicate as her she really had some muscle, for she was a force to be recon with as she pulled me up with no problem. Together we ran towards the other contestants as they were exiting out of the back of the building.

               Once we caught up to them I let out a gasp at our surroundings. It was a small beautiful landscape filled with trees and numerous amounts of flowers. In the middle was a small pond with a bench sitting next to it under a tree with a few pink flowers in bloom. Pedals of different colors rested on the grass floor signaling the height of autumn. Elizabeth and I sat on the grass next to each other like the other contestants as Pharrell sat down on the white wooden bench. I chuckled as I saw older women struggling to sit down without their short skirts rising up.

               “Hey everyone,” said Pharrell as he rested his hands on his knees with a hunched back. By then I finally got to fully take in my new Coach’s appearance. He was wearing a shirt with so much print I had slight trouble adjusting my eyes and plain blue jeans. Though he gave off the confidence that actually made it work for him. “When you look at this place. What do you see?”

               “Trees.” Cynthia said dully, “flowers.”

               “That is true, but what else,” Pharrell said.

               “Inspiration,” I said. Everyone’s head turned to look at me. I ducked my head a little to avoid the stars.

               “Exactly,” Pharrell said as he nodded in my direction. “True artists are able to take inspiration everywhere to write songs. Whether it be from life struggles, the world around you, or anything for that matter. Every one of you are different in your own way. You guys are the inspiration to become something incredible. When I heard you guys on stage I knew something was beautiful and special. Hopefully on this journey together we will have fun to make you the artists that you wish to become.”

               Elizabeth and I exchanged looks and I gave her a tiny smile to indicate that Coach Pharrell was pretty chill. She smiled back, of course a smile as big as the crescent moon, agreeing with me.

               “Now based on your audition I have chosen to put you against each other for the battle rounds,” continued Pharrell, “There will be a schedule, so I can work with all you guys. Since the battle rounds are more than a week away I we will start tomorrow with you guys practicing your songs. Though today we will find out who you guys will be battling.”

               “That will be so cool if we were battling each other,” Elizabeth whispered into my ear.

               “I don’t think that is a good idea,” I whispered back, “cause what if one of us wins and the other has to go home. We are friend right? I want to spend more time with my friend.”

               “We are friends?!” Elizabeth asked with a smile for the hundredth time today while she took my hand.

               “Of course,” I said as I gave her hand a tight squeeze.

               “-and Mathew Smith. Elizabeth Miller and Sarah McMillen.-“ I followed Elizabeth’s stare towards this older women who was probably in her mid-twenties.

               “That’s the other fellow country singer,” Elizabeth whispered, “She had two chair turn with Pharrell and Gwen. I am little scared, because I only had a one chair turn.”

               “You can do it,” I assured her.

               “-and finally Cynthia Morrison and Rachel Kelly.” Shit!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 87K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...
27K 1.7K 15
الكاتبه : رند السبيعي✍🏼 روايتي الاولى أتمنى تعجبكم واستمتعو...
158K 948 31
spoiler "Berani main-main sama gue iya? Gimana kalau gue ajak lo main bareng diranjang, hm? " ucap kilian sambil menujukan smirk nya. Sontak hal ter...
97.3K 3K 30
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...