Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

By rocketeerin

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... More

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
3 ~ No rain, no flowers
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
7 ~ Duke of Cowborough
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
10 ~ The other Crawleys
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
21 ~ In Full Bloom
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
34 ~ Mercy Ship
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
41 ~ Temporariness of a Day
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall
43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

11 ~ Late for a date

3.2K 103 39
By rocketeerin

A beautiful Saturday graced Dowton as the sun shone and the cool breeze cut through the warm rays. Violet Crawley sat in her home across from Doctor Clarkson as the two chatted about Isobel and her involvement in the hospital over the last few days. To say Violet was miffed was an understatement. A few footmen poured the guest and last tea, Violet paid it no attention.

"I don't want to exaggerate. She's been...very generous in many ways." Clarkson tepidly defended Isobel.

Violet scoffed. "Generous? To instruct you in your own practice?"

"Well, she may even have a point. But it does not seem to be realistic."

"Well, nor is it. Put an end to her meddling. I am your president and I say get rid of her." Violet ordered warningly.

"Will that not be awkward? I gather she's planning to stay in the village for the foreseeable future." Clarkson raised a brow.

Violet smiled. "No one can foresee the future, Doctor. Not you, not I, and certainly not Mises Crawley. If you need help at the hospital I insist you search elsewhere."

Clarkson sipped his tea and shook his head. "I'm in no need of help. Ben's been doing a lot to assist me."

Violet raised a brow confusedly. "Who is Ben?"

"Oh, my nephew. He's training to be a doctor and he's been helping me. I assumed Lady Evelyn would have mentioned him to you."

Violet said nothing for a moment as she processed Clarkson's words. "Why would Evelyn know anything about your nephew?" Clarkson froze, realizing he probably shouldn't have said anything about the two infatuated kids. Violet could sense his hesitation and tilted her head reprimandingly. "I wouldn't withhold any information from me, Doctor, it will not bode well for you."

He sighed. "They've been seeing each other a bit since he arrived. Ben talks about her often at the hospital, he appears quite smitten with Evelyn. Matter of fact, they're going to a play in Ripon this evening...Lady Crawley, I promise you that Ben is a good young man, very determined, kind - "

Clarkson was cut off when Violet raised her for him to stop, he did. She returned her hand on top of her other where it sat prior to her intervention with a displeased expression. "You are his uncle, and therefore I'm aware you feel that he possesses all of those wonderful qualities..however when it comes to the wellbeing of my granddaughter, I will be the judge of that."

----------------------

Evelyn trotted down the stairs into the servants' hall as she hummed a merry tune. She was in a good mood today, excited that she would get to see Ben. Evelyn had never actually been on a proper "date" before and found herself getting overwhelmed with nerves. She really liked Ben and was afraid she would mess something up; but, alas, the time has come to face the music.

When Evelyn entered the kitchen, she saw the staff dressed in their casual clothes and out of uniform. She enjoyed seeing the staff out of uniform as she felt it made them feel much more comfortable rather than being stuffed into those stiff tailored nightmares. She smiled at everyone she passed as she twirled and sang her way into the kitchen where she saw Mrs. Patmore, out of uniform, but still vigorously cleaning the counters.

"Mises Patmore!" She said in a sing-song voice. Mises Patmore looked at the girl oddly and smiled. "You appear to be going out so give me that." Evelyn snatched the cloth from her and began to scrub at the spot. "Where are you off to then?"

"Some traveling salesmen have set up in the village at the pub and we thought we might go have a look. And what's got you in such a jolly mood?"

"Pray tell, Mises Patmore, was it the salesmen that interested you more or it is the pub?" Evelyn smirked. Mrs. Patmore just gently whacked Evelyn's arm. "And it's just a beautiful day, why shouldn't I be jolly?"

Mrs. Patmore rolled her eyes. "Sure, deary, if you say so. Oh! I need to get my purse." She hurried out of the kitchen to get her things.

Daisy skipped into the kitchen and smiled brightly at her. Evelyn always found it cute how Dasiy would always be so excited to get to go to the village - or anywhere really. "Hello, Evie!"

She laughed. "Hello, Daisy. Excited to go into the village today?"

As Daisy began to speak, Thomas walked in while fixing the buttons on his shirt sleeve. He wore a white button-down with the slightest hint of grey stripes underneath a brown vest and pants that matched.

"- I do hope they have more interesting trinkets! Last time it was all for old people." Daisy wrinkled her nose.

Evelyn laughed at her. At the sound of Evelyn's laugh, Thomas lost interest in his sleeve and looked up, wanting to be nosey.

"For your sake, I hope so too, Dasiy." Evelyn grinned at the young girl.

"Are you coming with us?" Daisy asked hopefully.

Evelyn felt a bit nervous to answer honestly, she so decided against it. "Unfortunately not. I have to...see Lady Violet this afternoon."

Daisy nodded but Thomas was not convinced and cocked his eyebrow. Evelyn avoided his skeptical eyes and continued scrubbing the counter. He was too smart for her liking.

Thomas waltzed to the counter. "If I may be so bold, milady, what is this meeting with Lady Violet about?" He smirked.

Evelyn glanced up at him with a scowl. "You may not be so bold...just to chat is all."

He nodded. "That is very unlike the Dowager Countess to just want a chat?"

"She does sometimes. Like today!" She warned.

"I'm going to find Mises Patmore." Daisy scurried out of the kitchen.

Thomas chuckled. "Mysterious Evelyn is quite annoying."

"Nosey Thomas is rude."

"Hm...touche."

"Might I say, Mister Barrow, you clean up nice." Evelyn winked.

He stood up tall and sucked in his stomach, pushing his chest out and placing his hands on his hips in a 'superhero' pose. "Thank you."

Evelyn rolled her eyes playfully at his dramatics. "Don't let that go to your head."

He let out the breath he'd been holding in before slouching. "I'll try."

"Come on, Thomas, or we leave you!" Mrs. Patmore's voice carried aggressively through the hall.

Thomas rolled his eyes before looking back at Evelyn. "Are sure you can't come with us? I'm sure 'Lady Violet' would understand."

She smiled. She really wanted to.

"Not today. Next time, hm? Have fun...but not too much fun."

He nodded "I'll bring you back something nice!"

Before she had time to protest, he sprinted out of the door like a child who had something they shouldn't. Evelyn laughed to herself before glancing up the clock - she had one hour.

----------------------

Evelyn stood in front of her mirror as she scanned over herself. She ran her hands over the soft, baby-blue silk of her dress and sighed. She generally preferred to leave her hair down to cascade over her shoulders, unless it was dinner and she was all but demanded to; however, given the specialty of this particular event, she decided a loose braid would be suitable with the flowy-ness of the dress.

Deeming herself ready, she grabbed her small handbag and made her way out of her room. Strolling down the stairs, the doorbell suddenly sounded through the foyer, causing her to jump a bit.

Evelyn stood on the stairs for a moment to ponder her options: neither of the footmen are here and it would be inappropriate for a lady of the house to answer the door but it is also rude for no one to answer the door. Ultimately deciding to just answer it, she began to stride to the door.

"Evelyn, wait!" She turned to see Bates. "I'll get it."

She moved out of the way to allow Bates to answer the door instead, she breathed a sigh of relief. She moved behind the door a bit as to not be seen but to hear.

Bates opened the door. "Sorry to have kept you waiting, sir."

A man with white hair and a red mustache smirked at Bates. "I'm here to see Lord Grantham."

"Is he expecting you?" Bates pressed curiously.

"No. But he'd be very interested in what I have to tell him."

Bates leaned back a bit to look at Evelyn for help, Evelyn raised an eyebrow and shrugged before shaking her head worriedly. Bates turned his attention back to the man.

"His Lordship is not at home, but if you will leave your name - "

"Ah, ah, ah. Don't go all high and mighty with me. I don't know who you are, but you're certainly not the butler, so don't try and make out you are."

Evelyn began to get more nervous, those nerves making her a bit jumpy as a hand gently grabbed her wrist. She looked over wide-eyed to see Anna who seemed just as concerned by the man's presence as she did.

"How do you know?" Bates retorted.

"Because Charlie Carson's the butler 'round here."

"Does your business concern him?"

"It might do."

Bates sighed frustratedly. "Excuse me for one moment, sir." Bates partially closed the door before addressing the two women. "Fetch Mister Carson as fast as you can." Anna nodded before the man pushed himself through the door uninvited and waltzed through. "Use the front door." Anna hurried out of the house to fetch Carson. "If you would like to follow me, sir."

"Oh, no. If you think you're tucking me away somewhere, you've got another thing coming." The man replied slyly.

Evelyn scoffed as she found herself becoming less anxious and more angry with this man's presence. "Sir, I don't know who you think you are to blatantly disregard the instructions of the staff, who manage the house you've so rudely decided to enter into, but I suggest you start listening."

The man turned to her and looked her up and down. "Ah, I know you. Evelyn Levinson, Lord Grantham's niece. Well, beautiful, I think I have as much say in this family as you do."

Bates' jaw visibly clenched. "I insist you follow me...sir." He said a bit more stern.

"Sorry, chump." The man strode into the library and began looking around. "Oh, aye. I'll not mind waiting in here."

Evelyn clenched her fists and growled as she followed Bates and the man into the library.

"Bates....? Evelyn?" Sybil entered the room in her riding gear as she cautiously scanned over the man.

"This...gentleman is an acquaintance of Mister Carson, milady."

"Gentleman? I'd hardly say so." Evelyn scoffed. The man looked at her and winked, earning a look of disgust from Evelyn as she shuffled closer to Bates.

"What is he doing in here?" Sybil asked; however, given Evelyn's angry expression she figured it was not on good terms.

"He says he has urgent business with His Lordship."

"Urgent." The man repeated.

Bates huffed. "I've sent for Mister Carson to come at once."

Sybil nodded. "Then I'll stay with you two...in case extra explanations are needed."

----------------------

The three stood and just watched the man roam around the library. The man was obviously getting annoyed with his wait as he whipped around. "How long are you expecting me to wait? I'm a very busy man, you know."

"Busy doing what? Breaking and entering other homes?" Evelyn spat.

Bates patted her arm. "If you could just be patient for a little longer, sir."

At the sound of footsteps, Evelyn turned around to see Robert entering the library with his eyes lingering on the man.

"Uncle Robert." She stated, gaining the attention of Bates and Sybil.

"May I ask who this is and precisely what is going on?" Robert scowls.

Mister Carson and Anna quickly entered the library next.

Carson turned to Bates and Anna. "Mister Bates, what are you...? Er...I'm sorry, Your Lordship. Mister Bates, you may go now."

Robert held out his hand. "No, stay where you are. No one is going anywhere. Do I take it you know this man?"

The man smiled. "Don't try and deny it."

Carson huffed. "No, I won't deny it. I do know him, my lord, but now what he is doing in the library."

"I tried to take him downstairs out of sight, Mister Carson, but he wouldn't come," Bates informed.

"Yes after he pushed into the house inadmissibly," Evelyn mumbled to herself but Robert heard her, turning to her with wide-eyes. She nodded. She knew that would spark a bit more rage in Robert.

"Thank you, that was thoughtful," Carson spoke nervously.

"But who is he?" Robert pushed.

Caron stood with all eyes on him, hesitating to answer.

"Will you tell him or shall I?" The man asked.

Carons sighed. "His name is Charles Grigg. We worked together at one time."

"Oh, I'm a little more than that, aren't I, Charlie? We're like brothers, him and me." Charles patted Carson's shoulder.

"We are not like brothers."

"We were a double act. On the halls."

Robert raised his brow. "You were on the stage. Carson, is this true?"

"It is, my lord."

Evelyn nearly laughed at the thought of Carson doing anything other than being a butler - after all, he's been here as long as she has and even before then.

"The Cheerful Charlies, that's what they called us."

Evelyn bit her lip to keep from grinning before absentmindedly glancing at the clock - it was eleven-forty-five...she was supposed to meet Ben at eleven-thirty. Gasping, Evelyn darted out of the library and out the front door.

Bates looked at Anna questioningly, Anna shrugged.

----------------------

She ran down the gravel road, not wanting to mess up her hair but not really having a choice at the moment. Coming to the curve in the road, she saw Matthew parked off to the side while he packed up his guns - he and Robert must have been shooting.

He grinned when he saw the sweaty girl. "Hello, Evelyn...are you alright?"

"Matthew...hi. Yes, I'm supposed to be meeting someone and I'm very late. I lost track of time thinking about Carson in tights." Matthew tilted his head. "That sounded weird, I'll have to explain later."

"Or you can explain now while I drive you to where you need to go." He offered with a kind smile.

Evelyn smiled and didn't hesitate to hop in beside Matthew as the two drove into Downton.

On the way, Evelyn explained the situation to Matthew, earning a laugh from him. "The Cheerful Charlies?" Matthew smiled.

"I know, it's quite comical. Poor Carson, I know he must be mortified. Outed like that in front of the man he admires. I wonder what it was all about. Do say a prayer for him?"

"I will certainly keep him in my thoughts, yes. Anyway, this person you're meeting, they must be special for you to be so done up?"

Evelyn looked concernedly down at her dress. "Oh no, is it too much? Do I look ridiculous?"

Matthew glanced at her and smiled while shaking his head. "No! Not at all you look very..." He paused, trying to find a respectful word compared to the generic one he intended to say. "...charming."

Evelyn laughed at his awkwardness. "Well thank you. And yes, it's actually a date. Doctor Clarkson's nephew, Ben."

Matthew smiled. "Is Ben a doctor too?" Evelyn hummed in response. "And you're ok with that?"

"Matthew, I don't know you very well yet; however, I could tell from the moment I met you that you and I share a similar view on the roles of nobility and servants. Even though I'm aware I'm a bit more accepting of it because it's what I grew up with, but I could never get behind the idea that a doctor - or nurse - is anything less than an honorable profession."

Matthew kept his eyes on the road but smirked. "Good...I was just testing you."

----------------------

A/N: Thank you all so much for over 2K reads!!!!❤❤❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

354 17 12
What if Robert and Cora Crawley had a fourth daughter who were born in 1906 Gabriella is secret hero with Anne Shirley, Diana Barry, Ruby Gills and...
1.5K 20 17
• The second book of the 'Viscount Downton' trilogy • Alex Crawley and his family now have a new adventure coming to them: they're heading to the Sou...
3.6K 122 27
(Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley) When you serve in war together you form a bond beyond all else. When you serve in war with Thomas Barrow you find you...
24.5K 394 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...