Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

By rocketeerin

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... More

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
3 ~ No rain, no flowers
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
7 ~ Duke of Cowborough
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
11 ~ Late for a date
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
21 ~ In Full Bloom
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
34 ~ Mercy Ship
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
41 ~ Temporariness of a Day
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall
43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

10 ~ The other Crawleys

4.1K 115 120
By rocketeerin

Evelyn's toes tapped the floor of the car as it drove through the village in route to meet the new heir of Downton. Mary sat next to her, looking unamused as usual.

"Will you keep your feet still? That sound is very annoying." Mary snapped.

Evelyn just smiled. "Are you nervous?"

"About what?"

"...you're not the brightest sometimes. To meet Matthew! I'm excited."

"I'm so happy for you." She replied sarcastically. "I'm a bit nervous I suppose, but it's not like I have any reason to be. I don't think."

"We're here, miladies." The chauffeur said as he pulled up to a light stone house surrounded by a stone fence to match. 

"Pretty house," Evelyn stated, Mary hummed in response. "By the way, I'm going to stay behind in the village for a bit so go on without me."

Mary smiled. "Plan to see Ben?"

"I figured since I'm here I would swing by, just to say hi."

"I think that's a splendid idea."

The girls stepped out of the car and sauntered to the door, Evelyn used her gloved hands to smooth out her navy blue skirt over a white, long-sleeved tunic. She buttoned her grey overcoat when a chilly breeze whipped by that blew her loosely tied ponytail.

The butler, Molesley, stood at the front door once he saw their car approached. Evelyn, having met him once before, smiled at him.

"Hello, Molesley."

He looked a bit shocked that she remembered him. "Oh, well...hello, Lady Evelyn. Lady Mary. Do come in, they've only just arrived and are settling in."

As Molesley led the girls through the hall, a man's voice became clearer as they approached the home's drawing-room.

"Well, they're clearly going to push one of the daughters at me. They'll have fixed on that when they heard I was a bachelor." The voice spoke.

Evelyn bit her lip. "Oop."

"Lady Mary Crawley and Lady Evelyn Levinson." Molesley presented the girls as they entered the drawing-room.

A young man and an older woman looked at them wide-eyed to see the frown of Lady Mary and the amused smile of Lady Evelyn. Evelyn scanned over the new faces. Matthew was fairly tall and a bit stocky with blonde hair and incredibly bright blue eyes - Evelyn found him very handsome. Behind him stood his mother, Isobel Crawley. She had blonde hair like Matthew's that peaked out from under her burgundy hat and kind brown eyes.

"I do hope we're not interrupting." Mary smiled a bit, starting to feel the same amusement as Evelyn as she noticed their deer-in-the-headlights expressions.

Isobel approached the girls with a smile. "Lady Mary. Lady Evelyn."

"Cousin Mary, please. And just Evelyn." Evelyn nodded to them with a smile at Mary's correction. "Mama has sent us down to welcome you and to ask you to dine with us tonight. Unless you're too tired."

Matthew simply stared at Mary, still a bit stunned and embarrassed. Evelyn smirked again.

"We would be delighted," Isobel answered for them. 

Mary nodded. "Good. Come at eight." Mary turned to leave while Evelyn stayed where she was.

"Won't you stay and have some tea."

"Oh, no. You're too busy." Mary looked at Matthew. "And I wouldn't want to push in." She made her way to the front door.

Matthew took the blow for a moment before sprinting out after Mary, Evelyn still stood in the doorway of the drawing-room. She turned to Isobel and smiled, lifting her hand to her.

"I wanted to give you a formal welcome of my own. I know a welcome from the daughter of the estate can be a bit intimidating so I wanted to ease those nerves if I could."

Isobel smiled and took her hand. "Thank you, dear. I apologize for my son's...candidness if you will."

Evelyn chuckled. "No, it's quite alright. I understand his stress in this situation, it's a lot to take in. The sudden knowledge of an entire fortune can be a bit of a surprise, I'm sure." 

Isobel nodded agreeing. "It was quite a surprise, yes. You're Lady Grantham's niece?"

"Yes, I am. A deplorable circumstance, a boat ride from America, and here I am. But that was way in the past, I'm very happy with my present. So, from what I understand you're husband was a doctor. Do you have any medical experience?"

Isobel's eyes lit up. "Yes. I studied nursing during the South African war. And with my husband being a doctor I got quite a bit of experience. Oh! Forgive my inconsideration, would you like to sit?"

"Oh, no thank you. I'm making a run by the hospital after I greet Matthew. You should visit the hospital when you have the chance. Doctor Clarkson would love to meet you I know."

Before Isobel could respond Matthew waltzed into the room and looked at Evelyn. He extended his hand. "So sorry to keep you waiting. It is a pleasure to meet you, Lady Evelyn...or, my apologies, just Evelyn." She nodded and smiled, shaking his hand. 

"It is a pleasure for me as well, Matthew. I hope your conversation with Mary went well?" He just smiled. "Did she spit on your apology?" He hesitated before nodding. "Yes, sorry. Mary's a...incomparable creature. But, I love her all the same, I hope you will too in due time. Anyway, your kind mother and I were just discussing her nursing experience, quite extraordinary. A profession that deserves much more recognition than it gets." She beamed at Isobel who smiled gratefully at the praise of her accomplishments.

Matthew smiled. "Yes, she is an extraordinary woman indeed."

"In only a short time, I agree. Well," she clapped her hands. "I best be going, let you two settle in before dinner."

"What can we expect from dinner?" Isobel asked curiously, Matthew looked at Evelyn and raised an eyebrow in agreement with his mother's inquiries.

Evelyn grinned and nodded as she clicked her tongue. "Well, dinner at Downton Abbey is a serious event - especially when we have guests. Since the meal isn't before six you won't need hats or gloves unless you decide to wear them but they are not required. Keep the conversation light there are usually certain topics off-limits such as gossip, controversies, and so on but that's a personal judgment. As for sitting, your back can never touch the back of the chair - so no slouching...Ummm, oh, keep your glass to the left side of your plate, and if you set your utensils down they should never point towards the plate always away." Matthew and Isobel stared blankly at her, she laughed. "If you get lost at any point during the meal just look at me and I'll try to help...though I cannot guarantee I won't be doing something wrong myself. I seem to always be messing up in the eyes of Lady Violet Crawley. Oh! About her...don't look her in the eyes too long." 

Matthew and Isobel smiled at her. They could both already tell they were going to get along well with her, her playful nature gave them a feeling of reassurance. 

"It's all a bit excessive, I know. Intimidating and all. But I think you two will catch on quickly. You're obviously intelligent individuals. For a nurse and a lawyer, these ridiculous little table manners will feel like nothing eventually."

Isobel nodded. "Thank you, Evelyn."

"Of course. Oh! Before I go, Molesley how are you? Are you settling in ok? Happy to be back, I'm sure."

Matthew smiled at her thoughtfulness for the staff. He found the concept of staff to be quite ridiculous and lazy, he figured they probably shared the same view on equality.

Mosley was, yet again, a bit shocked. "I'm very well, Lady Evelyn, thank you. And yes, very excited to be back in Downton."

"Excellent." She turned back to the Crawleys. "If there is anything at all I can do for you, please do not hesitate to come to me." She glanced at Molesley. "Any of you." He smiled and nodded. Evelyn began to make her way out of the drawing-room before turning to them once again. "Welcome to Downton." She disappeared behind the wall as Molesley followed to see her out.

Isobel smiled and turned to Matthew. "She's absolutely lovely, isn't she?"

"Very lovely, yes." 

"Well, you don't have an interest in marrying one of Lord Grantham's daughters how about his niece?"

Matthew scoffed and rolled his eyes. "I could see Lady Evelyn and I being good friends, nothing more."

--------------------

Evelyn hummed as she strolled down the streets of the village, people bustling all around her. A familiar tall figure caught her eyes standing outside of the hospital. Ben was speaking to a middle-aged woman who was rather distressed. Evelyn stayed back a bit and leaned on a stone wall to give them some privacy. Eventually, the woman left leaving Ben to look at his feet in what appeared to be sadness. The sound of feet caused him to lift his eyes to see Evelyn in front of him, he smiled sweetly.

"Well, hello there."

She smiled. "Hello. Are you ok?"

"Yes, yes. I suppose...her husband is sick, it doesn't look good. That's the hardest part about this profession, not being able to fix everyone...but I digress. Walk with me, I need a little break." Evelyn obliged as Ben stuffed his stethoscope into his coat pocket and began to stroll down the street. "Are you coming from the Abbey?"

"No, actually my Uncle's cousin just moved here. A young man and his mother. They're very nice. She trained as a nurse and her husband was a doctor - I'm sure you'll be seeing her soon."

"I hope they like it here, I know I do so far." He winked at Evelyn. "Say, what're you doing tonight? There's a little play in Ripon that will probably be awful but that might make it all the more fun."

"The Crawleys are coming for dinner tonight. I'm so sorry, I would have loved to. Another time."

Ben nodded sadly. "I forget you're nobility, I can't always assume you have time for a doctor." he smiled playfully but Evelyn could see the truth behind it.

"You're profession has nothing to do with any of it."

"Doesn't it? The nobility looks down on us."

Evelyn's face fell as she felt slightly offended. "Have I?"

"No...but you're different, that's why I like you. But your family does."

"My family doesn't control my actions."

"But they influence it." He stopped walking and looked at her, his brown eyes glistening. "I really like you, Evelyn. I'm sure you've caught onto that. I don't want to get my heartbroken."

"Why would you - "

"Do I actually have a chance of being with you?"

A chance. 

Those words rang through Evelyn's ears like a gong.

"...a chance." She whispered to herself before laughing. "That is a good question, isn't it." He raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Ben...I think there's something you should know..." her heart began to race. He stared at her with concern. "...I...want nothing more than to give you a chance. Yes, that's what I needed to say. My family does influence me, you're correct about that. But it is my decision in the end."

Ben grinned. "So I'll get to take you out...properly."

She nodded. "Yes, of course. How about this weekend? Saturday? I don't think we'll have any surprise guests - though you never know - if we do I'll see my way out of it."

"Perfect."

Eventually, the two made their way back to the hospital.

"I better get back in, I'm sure Uncle Richard needs me."

"Yes, I'm sure he does..." She lifted her hand and used her fingers to beckon him to lean down, and he did. She stood on her toes to place a soft kiss on his cheek before returning firmly to the ground. "I will see you Saturday, Benjamin."

Evelyn headed towards the Abbey with a massive grin across her face the entire way. 

---------------------

Evelyn sauntered into the servant's dining area as they all sat around the table smoking, talking, and reading before they had to hop back into work before dinner. If any of the family were to come down during their leisure time, they would all stand at attention; however, for Evelyn, they always remained as they were.

"Daisy, did you hear me call, or have you gone selectively deaf?!" Mrs. Patmore fussed from the kitchen.

"No, Mises Patmore."

"Then might I remind you we are preparing dinner for your future employer, and if it goes wrong, I'll be telling them why!" Daisy sprinted into the kitchen.

Evelyn laughed, the familiar sound causing the staff around the table to look at her. Anna smiled kindly at her. Evelyn had not sincerely apologized for her anger towards Anna about Ben, she knew Anna was entitled to her opinions. Evelyn made her way around the table to stand behind Anna, who sat by Bates as she sewed a button onto a shirt. Evelyn wrapped her arms around Anna's shoulders gently so she wouldn't poke herself with the needle, Anna chuckled.

"I'm sorry. I love you. You're my favorite and quite frankly my best friend."

Anna laughed. "I love you too and you're forgiven now get off." She playfully shoved her off as Evelyn grinned.

Bates watched them amused. Evelyn raised a brow and smirked. "Do you want a hug too?"

Bates chuckled. "No, thank you."

Anna smirked and continued sewing. "I think he does."

"No - " 

Before he could protest, Evelyn threw her arms around his shoulder and squeezed as hard as she could. She looked at him to see he was unphased, and she pouted.

"Did that not hurt?"

Bates decided to tease her instead. "You wish to hurt me, Evie?"

Evelyn stared at him blankly as her lips pursed. "I see what you're doing, stop that."

Anna and Bates chuckled.

"Of course it didn't hurt him," Thomas spoke from across the table as he puffed his cigarette and scanned over his newspaper.

"Are you saying I'm weak, Thomas?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying." He challenged with a smirk.

"Fine," she walked to the corner of the table, putting her elbow on it with her forearm and hand up. "Come on."

He laughed. "You want to arm wrestle me?" She nodded. "Hm. Alright."

She knew she had no chance, but a good competition never hurt anyone. 

He took one last drawl from his cigarette before moving to the other side of the corner and positioning his arm next to hers. The staff just watched and smiled since this wasn't any new behavior from the two of them. Thomas clasped his hand around hers, engulfing it and squeezing tightly.

"Who've you got?" Bates leaned over and asked Anna.

"My bets are on Evelyn for sheer stubbornness alone."

"Ready?" Thomas asked with a smirk.

Bates cleared his throat and leaned into the table a bit more. "Three...two...one...go."

Evelyn pushed as hard as she could while it seemed Thomas wasn't trying at all. She stopped and looked at him with her jaw clenched as he smirked. She huffed and used both of her hands to try and push his arm - it worked a little. With one shove of Thomas's arm, both of Evelyn's arms were slammed to the table. She grunted and blew a piece of hair from her face, a bit of sweat kept it from going anywhere though. 

Thomas leaned back and grabbed his cigarette and held it between his lips before moving the piece of hair off Evelyn's forehead. "You put up a good fight, little lady." 

She waved him off and laid her head on the table while panting a bit.

"Oh, you went with Lady Mary, did you see the new family?" Anna asked.

Evelyn lifted her hand, holding it up with her palm. "Yes, they're very kind. Lady Crawley is a bit younger than Lady Violet I'd say but seems very spry. Matthew seems very intelligent...and he's quite handsome."

"Do you think they'd take good care of us if they took over?" Daisy asked as she poked her head around the wall.

Evelyn smiled. "Most definitely." Daisy nodded and ran back to Mrs. Patmore. "I better head up." The staff waved goodbye. 

Before she moved away from the table, Thomas blew a bit of smoke in her face. She jerked away and smacked his arm.

"Rotten pig." She mumbled as she coughed all the way up the stairs.

Once she was gone, Thomas rubbed his arm where she hit him and winced a bit. 

------------------ 

Walking out of her room, Evelyn saw Violet, Cora, Mary, Edith, and Sybil at the top of the stairs waiting for her so they could walk down together. She jogged to them and smiled.

"Sorry for the wait."

Violet hummed. "Waiting on you is always expected."

Cora smiled. "You're alright, Evelyn. Let's go, shall we?"

The women began their descent down the stairs as Isobel and Matthew walked inside the house. They lined up across the hall from the staff, Cora in front followed by Violet, then Mary, Edith, Evelyn, and finally Sybil.

Isobel and Matthew made their way to the welcome party as Cora greeted them. "Welcome to Downton." 

Isobel nodded kindly. "Thank you. You've been so kind."

Matthew scanned over the crowd. "What a reception committee."

The family shared expressions of surprise and amusement by his comment. Isobel sensed the awkwardness. "Yes, thank you."

Robert began his introductions starting with Carson who stood next to him. "This is Carson. We'd all be lost without him. Mama, may I present Matthew Crawley and Mises Crawley, my mother, Lady Grantham."

Isobel approached Violet and held out her hand. "What should we call each other?"

Violet pursed her lips before looking at Isobel's hand but never taking it. "Well, we could always start with misses Crawley and Ladt Grantham."

Isobel lowered her hand as her face fell. Cora stepped in and guided Isobel away. "Come into the drawing-room and we can make all the proper introductions."

Violet looked at Carson who struggled to contain his amused smirk. Evelyn on the other hand made no effort, once Isobel was out of the room, to display her amused grin. 

The family soon followed Cora and Isobel. Evelyn walked next to Violet. "Why must you be so mean?" She teased.

Violet looked at her in confusion. "I'm never mean." Her eyes scanned Evelyn. "You've gained a bit of weight."

Evelyn gasped and laughed while Violet gave the slightest hint of a smirk.

-------------------

Dinner was finally served as the family sat down to eat and made small talk with Matthew and Isobel. Evelyn, as usual, avoided the small talk and just ate unless absolutely necessary to stop. 

Matthew held his spoon in his hand dubiously as he needed to put it down but forgot how. He glanced at Evelyn who paid no mind to anyone until she eventually looked up to meet his electric blue eyes. He wiggled the spoon in his hand signifying the need for help. Evelyn smiled and lifted her own fork to bring his attention to it before slowly setting it down with the scoop of the spoon facing away from the plate. Matthew nodded as he remembered and smiled at her, she grinned back.

She picked up her spoon again and continued eating her soup until she felt eyes on her and she knew exactly whose they were.

"Yes, Lady Violet?"

"Why did you put your spoon down for no reason and then pick it back up again?"

Evelyn stared at her for a moment before saying in a monotone voice and crazed eyes: "It told me to."

Violet tilted her head and pursed her lips annoyedly.

 "Do you think you'll enjoy village life? It will be very quiet after life in the city." Robert inquired.

"Even Manchester," Violet added.

Isobel smiled. "I'm sure I'll find something to keep me busy."

"You might like the hospital," Cora suggested.

"Oh, yes. Evelyn told me about it when she visited this morning." Isobel smiled at Evelyn.

Robert glanced at Evelyn with a blank face, she avoided his gaze. Matthew furrowed his brows when he noticed the strange gazes at Evelyn at the mention of the hospital.

"What sort of hospital is it? How many beds?" Isobel continued.

Violet chuckled. "Well, it isn't really a hospital."

Robert glanced at her. "Don't let Doctor Clarkson hear you. He thinks it's second only to St Thomas's."

"It's a cottage hospital, of course, but quite well equipped," Cora responded to Isobel's original question.

"Who pays for it?"

"Oh, good. Let's talk about money." Violet said sarcastically.

"My father gave the building and an endowment to run it. In a way, he set up his own memorial," Robert explained.

"But how splendid." Isobel beamed, Evelyn smiled at her excitement.

"And Mister Lloyd George's new insurance measures will help."

"Please don't speak that man's name, we are about to eat," Violet said with a tone of disgust.

Evelyn glanced around the table and noticed Matthew's glass was on the wrong side of his plate. She held her glass in her hand and rocked it side to side, hoping to catch his attention - and she did. He raised an eyebrow when he caught her gaze and saw her using her glass to motion moving it. He looked down to see his glass on the wrong side and mouthed 'oops' before moving it to the right side. Evelyn grinned along with him.

Though the small talk continued, just about everyone at the table noticed their sneaky interactions. The staff noticed as well. What the onlookers didn't know, but what Evelyn and Matthew knew for a fact, was that the interactions were completely harmless and just a bit of fun - no hidden meaning or feelings and nor would there be.

The main course began as the footman carried the trays around the table. Thomas leaned over Matthew's shoulder with the tray.

"I will hold it steady and you can help yourself, sir," Thomas said slowly.

"Yes, I know. Thank you." Matthew furrowed his brows in confusion. 

Mary smiled. "You'll soon get used to the way things are done here."

"If you mean that I'm accustomed to a very different life from this, then that is true." Matthew defended.

Thomas rose back up and saw Evelyn staring at him scoldingly, he smirked and continued serving.

"What will you do with your time?" Sybil asked Matthew kindly.

"I've got a job in Ripon, I said I'll start tomorrow."

"A job?" Robert asked surprised.

"In a partnership. You might have heard of it, Havel and Carter. They need someone who understands industrial law, I'm glad to say. Although, I'm afraid most of it will be wills and conveyancing." Matthew explained.

Robert raised an eyebrow. "You do know I mean to involve you in the running of the estate?"

"Oh, don't worry. There are plenty of hours in the day. And, of course, I'll have the weekend."

Robert huffed. "We'll discuss this later. We mustn't bore the ladies."

Violet looked at Matthew bewildered. "Wh-What is a week-end?"

Evelyn bit her lip and shook her head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53K 1.2K 58
"14 years ago...I had an affair with Lord Grantham. You are not Lady Grantham's child." "We just want you to know that the whole of England will be y...
3.6K 122 27
(Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley) When you serve in war together you form a bond beyond all else. When you serve in war with Thomas Barrow you find you...
159K 3.9K 28
F I L A N O L V L E E N »» FALLEN IN LOVE! - develop a deep romantic to someone. »» IN WHERE A GROUP OF CHILDREN GO THR...
360 17 12
What if Robert and Cora Crawley had a fourth daughter who were born in 1906 Gabriella is secret hero with Anne Shirley, Diana Barry, Ruby Gills and...