Twice In A Lifetime | Book 2...

By vineethereader

(This Book Is A Sequel and contains major spoilers from the first book- Stop! Right now! Don't even read the... More

Synopsis
1. CONTEMPLATING CHOICES
2. AFTERMATH
3. CHAOS IS COMPULSORY
4. READY OR NOT
5. I HATE LONG STORIES
6: NO PROMISES
7. MAKE IT QUICK
8. DROP THE ACT
9. FUNCTION SENSIBLY
11. GLAD TO DISAPPOINT
12. HOW MUCH LONGER?
13. I WONDER WHY?
14. NO ESCAPE
15. FRAGILE TRUST
16. ANOTHER LONG STORY
17. THE TRUTH
18. MAYBES AND WHAT IF'S
19. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT
20. YOU HAVE ISSUES
21. DISTRACTIONS
22. UNRESTRAINED
23. LIKE CLOCKWORK
24. ATTEMPT AT A THREAT
25. UNDER WRAPS
26. THE WEDDING DAY (End)
CLOSING REMARKS!
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2

10: DIE IN A DITCH

3.1K 243 56
By vineethereader

Chapter 10: DIE IN A DITCH

***************************************

Alex's POV:

************

I was standing in the living room of the one place I've desperately avoided.

Black's mansion.

One week had gone by peacefully, well... as peaceful as it could be with my family going crazy and Jensen frustrating me on a daily basis.

But it was bearable in small doses and when I had some control over the situation, but this way... I couldn't deal with him. Especially when I'm in his territory and have little to no idea what is going to happen.

Jenny has invited all of us for dinner since it was Lydia's birthday. I couldn't deny the invitation and so instead of throwing a tantrum, I sealed my mouth shut and I instantly got ready to come here.

Thankfully, Jenny told me Sam was joining the dinner party too, so that means I won't be left alone with Jensen, where he would most definitely annoy the life out of me.

Lydia was still out working and so this was going to be a surprise for her. Most guests were here, and some of her close friends too... Everyone was trying to be of help and were having a good time. Mom has of course taken the job seriously, and was now working with what she had.

I haven't seen Jensen anywhere, so maybe he's not home yet, maybe he's still working. That almost seems too good to be true.

"We only have one hour before she gets here hurry!" Jenny said to her fiance who was stressing himself to blow another balloon as he had popped more than what he managed to get right.

"Jenny?" I grabbed her hand as she was walking past me in a hurry. "Do you want my help with something?"

"Umm... could you check if we have enough ice for drinks, I'll go see if the table is set..." And with that she was gone.

Ice. Fridge. Kitchen. Okay.

The Black's mansion was probably worse than a maze. I've been walking around for a while now, and I have found everything...I think I even saw a huge aquarium somewhere around here, but the kitchen, it's nowhere to be seen.

"Yeah, I want the corrections to be made ASAP...." A voice cut through the silence around me and I froze.

Jensen?!

What the heck was he doing here?

I realized he was walking towards my direction while speaking on his phone, and I increasingly panicked with every step he took forward.

He hadn't seen me yet and I quickly turned back on my heels and broke into a sprint. When I coincidentally found the kitchen on my way I quickly ran inside to hide myself.

Phew! Crisis averted.

I realised the kitchen smelled amazing with all the food that was prepared. How could I miss it? Looking at the huge fridge, I walked up to check for ice. I pulled open the door and scanned the fully stocked fridge for it while mumbling to myself "ice? ice? Where's ice? Geez... looks like someone drinks way too much orange juice around here."

I finally found a deep container which held ice cubes, I took it out to find it was pathetic because most of it had melted into water. I checked the temperature and fumed...which idiot changed the freezing temperature?!

Oh no, Jenny is gonna get stressed, I need to make more ice before she figures out what happened....I closed the fridge and "Aaaaahhhh!"

I jumped and screamed with my eyes closed, when I realised someone was standing right there behind the fridge door. "Shut up. It's just me!" a hand was suddenly covering my loud mouth, and I blinked up to see Jensen standing in front of me.

So much for avoiding him.

A second too late I realised I shouldn't have jumped, in fact it was a very bad idea when I could feel ice water slowly trickle down my face.

Shit!

I looked around to find water and barely cubicle ice cubes scattered everywhere. Jensen moved his hand away and let it drop to his side while he too looked down.

"What a mess..." Jensen said what I was thinking.

"You? You scared me!" I accused as I kept the now almost empty container I was holding on the counter next to me.

His eyes very slightly, obscurely narrowed as he spoke "I didn't mean to." He was currently sporting a white shirt and grey track pants, but still managed to look like a runway model.

I realised how close we were standing and took a sudden step back, only to lose my balance on the slippery floor, and then next thing I knew I was falling.

"Careful-" I heard his voice cut off as I fell forward. On him. And then he fell too.

We were both lying in a puddle of ice water and my face was buried in his shoulder. I could feel his entire tall frame pressed along my body, and his warmth was seeping through my clothes.

A moment passed after he hit the floor and then he asked, "are you alright?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that..." I said and when he chuckled I felt the vibrations in his chest on my cheek.

"I'm alright... you didn't hurt yourself did you?" He asked again.

"No, I'm fine... just a bit humiliated." I said, it probably sounded muffled since I was talking into his shirt.

"Is that why you're trying to hide your face in my shoulder?" He asked, sounding amused.

"I'm not ready to face my embarrassment yet..." I knew he wasn't gonna let this go. Dang it Alex!

But I regretted not getting up right away when his arms wrapped around me and held me closer. "I don't mind, you can stay put as long as you want." He said sweetly.

And now I was trying to stand up as quickly as I could, my fumbling hands tried to grab his shoulder to push myself up but he wouldn't let go. "Let me go. Now."

"But I was comfortable..." He said under his breath, but moved to stand up as I did too.

"Comfortable? In this ice cold water?" Which I'm pretty sure has soaked through the back of his shirt, and probably even his brain because clearly he wasn't thinking straight.

"Wasn't so bad with you on top... remember that, for future reference." He smirked. I never thought this could happen, but I realised that I actually missed that compulsive smirk of his.

And that only made me angrier.

I had to glare at him for that innuendo, "I hope you die in a ditch!"

His eyebrows raised, but he seemed nothing but amused, "I like it when you talk dirty to me."

"You're unbelievable." I frowned intensely.

"So I've been told..." He nodded with a smile, as if I just gave him a compliment.

Urgh!

I wanted to rip my hair out.

But since that was a painful option, I decided to leave. Just walk away Alex. Walk away.

He grabbed my arm, stopping me, "wait..." He said, "you've been avoiding me Alex." It was a statement.

"Wh-why would I avoid you? That just doesn't make any sense." I was suddenly stuttering.

"My point exactly, so do tell me...why?" He asked, seeming curious.

Talk about digging your own freaking grave.

I laughed again and it sounded all kinds of strained and forced to my own ears "what gives you that idea? Of course I'm not avoiding you."

"You're not picking up my phone calls again, we had a deal." he stated in a matter-of-fact tone, and then went on to add "and a few minutes ago, you ran the other way just as you saw me coming."

He saw that? Shit!

I couldn't say anything, my mind went blank and I felt tongue tied while I cringed internally.

"I must say...you're a pretty fast runner" he said, sounding amused for some reason.

"I was part of the track team in college," I told him. What am I even talking about?! I breathed and then answered him honestly, "yes, I was avoiding you, but can you blame me? Every time we meet y-you behave like this." I gestured to his whole body, "and you make so many random phone calls in the middle of the day and disrupt my work..."

"But those phone calls are the highlight of my day..." Jensen made a sad face, had the kicked puppy look down pat and I don't think he's ever tried that before because he looked fucking adorable. How can a grown man look like this? What the hell?!

"Alex what about the ice?" I heard Jenny's voice call.

"It's all taken care of!" I hollered back. It's absolutely not in the form of water and lying in puddles on your kitchen floor.

"Did you just lie to my sister?" Jensen asked, looking entertained.

"Shut up and help me make ice!" I said to him and quickly got to work. I hope she won't come in here.

****************************************************************

Do vote and comment, It would mean a lot to me.

Thanks for reading.💙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 13.1K 38
"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes," I confirmed it. "Threw a drink in hi...
Reality By Nicole

General Fiction

110K 6.1K 32
SEQUEL TO EXPECTATIONS! It is highly recommended to read the first book before starting this one. - - - - - - It's a funny thing, expectation versus...
6.6K 276 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
5.1M 161K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...