The Mystery Within

By RSPBLiterature

Y/n has led a dark mysterious life up until this point. But finally fed up with not knowing if he will even l... More

1. Welcome to Crystal Cove
2. Beware the Beast Below
3. The Creeping Creatures
4. The Secret of the Ghost Rig
5. Revenge of the Man Crab
6. The Song of Mystery
7. The Legend of Alice May
8. In Fear of the Phantom
9. The Grasp of the Gnome
10. Battle of the Humungonauts
11. Howl of the Fright Hound
12. The Secret Serum
13. The Shrieking Madness
New Cover Art
14. When the Cicada Calls
15. The Wild Brood
16. Where Aphrodite Walks
17. Escape From Mystery Manor
18. The Dragon's Secret.
19. The Menace of Manticore
20. Attack Of The Headless Horror
21. A Haunting in Crystal Cove.
22. Dead Justice
23. Pawn of Shadows
24. All Fear The Freak.
25. The Night the Clown Cried
26. House Of The Nightmare Witch
27. The Night The Clown Cried II: Tears of Doom
28. Web Of The Dreamweaver.
30. Art of Darkness.
31. La casa è dove si trova il cuore
32. The Night On Haunted Mountain
33. Grim Judgement.
34. Night Terrors.
35. The Midnight Zone.
36. Scarebear
37. Wrath of Krampus.
38. Theatre Of The Doomed
39. Aliens Among Us
40. The Horrible Herd.
41. Dance Of The Undead
42. The Devouring
43. Stand And Deliver
44. The Man In The Mirror
45. Nightmare In Red
46. Dark Night Of The Hunters
47. Gates Of Gloom.
48. Through The Curtain.
49. Come Undone
50. 15 Years Later

29. The Hodag of Horror.

7.4K 271 189
By RSPBLiterature

It was night time in Crystal Cove as some of town's residents were out enjoying the night atmosphere. Among them were Shaggy and Scooby who were exiting an Ice cream parlour with an absurd amount of food which they consumed within seconds.

The sound of music gets Shaggy's and the other citizen's attention now however and they turn their heads to see a large curio trailer making it's way down the main street. It stops on the main street as the trailer begins to unfold into a stage filled lights and a sign that reads. "The travelling cabinet of curiosities." It doesn't take long for the townsfolk to become interested as they begin to gather around chattering.  

A man in a red suit with a cane appears on the stage now. "The long wait is over. I, Gene Shepherd, deliver unto your waiting, hungry minds my vey own Travelling Cabinet of Curiosities. Enter and be amazed!" He says to the gathered audience. A door opens on the side of the trailer and the crowd begins to shuffle inside with Scooby and Shaggy following them in.  

Inside the trailer is a wide variety of bizarre array of items that the townsfolk were all looking at. Scooby and Shaggy looked at one of the exhibits.

"Like, I don't know about you Scooby Doo, but I feel like I'm walking through one of my nightmares." Shaggy laughs nervously. 

"Any and all of you good citizens that suffer frim neurological disorders of any kind must leave immediately. " Mr Shepard's voice can be heard saying and the crowd begin to gather around him as he stands beside a box covered in a robe. Shaggy and Scooby slowly make their way over now. "Straight from the primitive wilds of Wisconsin that exotic land of caftans and cheese. I give you...The Hodag of Horror!" Mr Shepard cries as he pulls the robe of the box and behind it is a rather fake looking stuffed creature and the crowd murmurs in disappointment. 

"Like Hold on." Shaggy says now. "That has to be the fakest looking monster I have ever seen." Shaggy continues and Scooby looks at it more closely now. 

"I knew it was fake all the time." Scooby says.

"Come on Scoob. Let's get out of here." Shaggy chuckles. "This place is a rip off."

"Uh...But we didn't pay to get in here." Scooby reminds him as the two start to walk away and crowd also disperses. 

"Oh Yeah." Shaggy giggles.  

It's late now and one of Daphne's sisters was sat at a mirror in her bedroom brushing her hair. The sound of a bell ringing is heard but the girl sat at the mirror doesn't seem to take any notice of it. The sound of a creature growling behind her however does get her attention. She stops brushing her hair now putting down her brush as she turns around. The sound of growling can be heard as she looks towards her bed. As she looks at it a pair of glowing yellow eyes open and the creature on it stands up growling as it launches itself at her and she screams. 

It was the next day and everyone was sat in the living room at Fred's home.

"Fred, I know it must be something of a shock for you to have your parents back." Fred's real father Brad says sat down in one of the chairs while his wife, Fred's mother Judy sits on the chairs arm beside him. 

"Your real parents." Fred's mom says.

"Thanks Judy." Fred's dad days.

"You're welcome Brad." She replies.

"So we'd like to throw the floor open to any questions you might have. Anything at all." Brad says to Fred now. 

"Well..." Fred starts. "There is one thing. Why? Why did you stay away for so long? Why didn't you come back for me?" Fred asks them. 

"To protect you Fred. Mayor Jones was far too dangerous. He threatened to do you harm." Brad says. 

"Bodily harm." Judy adds.

"Yes, thank you Judy." Brad says to her. "He threatened to do you bodily harm if we came back."

We're so sorry. We really are." Judy says now. 

"Oh, It's okay." Fred sighs. "I mean you were just looking out for me, right?" He says a little glumly. 

"Well, You should know your Freddy is an extraordinary trap maker." Velma says trying to lighten the mood now. 

"Like yeah. He's the best." Shaggy says. 

"Oh really?" Brad says intrigued. "Judy and I do a little something with traps ourselves." 

"We dabble." Judy says.

"Have any of you heard of Sternum & Sternum?" Brad asks everyone now. 

"Sure, They're famous. A husband and wife team of trap making mystery solvers. They invented the Flauttenaur 8000." Fred says perking back up. "Wait, hold the phone. You mean you're the Sternums?" Fred asks excited. 

"We keep our identities private  because we're not in it for the glory. We just want to help mankind by ridding it of things that are hard to catch with ordinary traps." Judy says but the sound of a bell jingling get her attention. "Oh look who decided to wake up. Nova."

Everyone turns their head to see a female Cocker Spaniel, with a slightly dark tan coat and red bows at the top of each of her ears. Nova jumps up into Brad's lap as she rests there. 

Scooby looks at Nova with dreamy as he lets a lovesick sigh. "A pup could get lost in those eyes." He says.

Daphne's phone begins to ring now and she takes it out of her pocket.  

"Hello? Oh, hello Daisy." Daphne says unenthusiastically. "What? You're kidding me." Daphne says surprised. "A horrible monster almost annihilated you? That's wonderful. We'll be right over." Daphne says quickly getting up. 

The rest of the gang look at each other now and Y/n is the first to get up. "A distraction is ideal. This parent business is..." Y/n looks at Fred's parents now. "Overwhelming." He says before he takes his leave. 

"Fred." Brad says now as Fred and the others get up. "Did we perhaps..."

"Do something to upset your friend?" Judy finishes.

"Oh, Well not personally." Fred says and scratches the back of his head. "Y/n lost his parents at a young age and it still bothers him." 

"He lost his parents?" Judy asks.

"But then who raised him?" Brad asks.

"Uh...That's not for me to say, Oh well would you look at the time we have a Mystery to solve!" Fred says quickly avoiding the topic before he rushes out the room. Velma says nothing as she follows and Shaggy gives an awkward laugh as he he quickly ruses after her. 

"Bye Nova." Scooby says still dazed by Nova. 

Everyone was now at Daisy's house. Fred, Shaggy and Scooby were in the living room looking for clues. Velma, Daphne and Y/n were in Daisy's room as she sat at her mirror brushing her hair once again. Daphne was stood with her hands on her hips looking unamused. 

"So this creature wasn't exactly trying to hurt you? It just robbed you?" Daphne asks. "Come on Y/n, Velma. There's nothing here for us, Let's go." 

"What did it steal?" Y/n asks as he examines the room but doesn't look at Daisy.

"Two items. An expensive ruby necklace that was given to me by my wealthy neurosurgeon fiancé. Daph, you and your...criminal must come over for polo." 

"Yes, we must." Daphne says back in a sarcastic tone not really listening to what Daisy had just said as she cross her arms. 

"The other item was just a cheap bell necklace I had lying around." Daisy says now.

"The one I gave you for your birthday." Daphne states.

"That was from you?  Darling, I miss it already."  Daisy replies. 

"Daisy, see you tonight at Mom and Dad's party. That is unless you get attacked again." Daphne says wanting to leave now. 

"Oh  will you be bringing your criminal? Oh, wait I forgot he's in prison no?" Daisy smirks now and Y/n rises from the spot he is crouched at.

"If you will forgive me, I have some phone calls to make." He says excusing himself from the room as both Velma and Daphne watch him leave.

"One more question. Daisy, Can you give us a description of the creature that attacked you?" Velma asks.

"I certainly can Thelma." Daisy replies.

"Velma." Velma corrects her.

"Don't care." Daisy says bluntly. 

Scooby was sniffing  the living floor that is covered in prints that are unrecognisable when Y/n walked into the room. 

"Any lucky with Daisy?" Fred asks. 

"Minimal." Y/n replies. "I'm going to make some inquires with some contacts I have left." He says walking out onto balcony now as Fred watches him go. 

"Fred, Can I ask you a question?" Scooby asks now. 

"You just did." Fred laughs. "I love that one. Sure thing, Go Ahead Scoob." 

"Uh...I have this friend and he thinks he might be in love with..."

"Wait, Is this a love question?" Fred asks.

"Uh huh." Scooby starts nodding his head but Fred laughs. 

"And you're asking me for advice?" Fred begins to laugh. "Come on Scoob that is a good one."  Fred chuckles and Scooby sighs.

Daphne and Velma exit Daisy's room now. 

"Where's Y/n?" Daphne asks noticing he is not present. 

"He's out on the balcony." Fred says pointing to the direction Y/n had gone and Daphne goes that way.

 Scooby walks up to Velma now who was drawing on a tablet she had been carrying. 

"Velma, what would do if you thought..well, That you might be in love?" Scooby asks her. 

Velma's eyes involuntary look at Shaggy across the room before they return to the tablet. "Ask someone else Scooby..." Velma says in the nicest way possible.  

Y/n was stood on the balcony now, a lit cigarette hanging lazily out of his mouth as he held his phone up to his ear. A voice was on the other line and Y/n didn't hear the door sliding open as Daphne made her way out onto the balcony now. 

"Quindi nessuna collana di Ruby è spuntata nelle ultime ore?" Y/n asks the other person in Italian as he inhales some smoke and moves his cigarette from his mouth.

 It rests in his fingers as he taps the tip and the ash falls away to the ground far below. Y/n finally gets a response but it's not one he wants. "Nessuna collana di rubini? Capisco, per favore informami se uno appare sul mercato allora. Addio." Y/n says before he hangs up now. He lets out a sigh as he returns the cigarette to his mouth now and puts his phone away. He leans forward a little as his arms rest on the balcony and he stands in silence smoking still unaware Daphne was stood right behind him. 

"I'm sorry...about Daisy." Daphne suddenly says and Y/n turns his head to look at her for a moment. He quickly takes his cigarette out of his mouth now as he exhales the smoke and waves it away before flicking away his unfinished cigarette. 

"It's fine. I know she is your sister, But I don't particularly care about her thoughts and opinions on me." Y/n says.

"So why are you out here?" Daphne asks him. 

"I called some of my 'Criminal' friends." Y/n says highlighting the word. "Asked if anyone has attempted to fence a Ruby Necklace recently, But no one has thus far." Y/n informs her.

 "I though you said you were trying to give up smoking?" Daphne asks him now. 

"Trying is the important word in that sentence." Y/n replies with as he looks at Fred inside now. "I envy him you know, He has the one thing I have wanted most." Y/n says and Daphne starts looking at Fred. 

"What's that?" Daphne asks.

"A second chance with my parents." Y/n says but he sighs and rubs his eyes. "But no matter how much I wish for that it cannot be, I have to move on." Y/n says as he moves now.

You need to stop smoking Y/n, It's not good for you." Daphne says to him now and he stops beside her. 

"The time when you could tell me what to do openly has passed Daphne, We're just friends." Y/n says looking forward and Daphne closes her eyes. 

"It's not for me. It's for your own good." She replies with and Y/n chuckles. 

"I'll remember that one." He comments and Daphne close her eyes shaking her head.

"Regarding what Daisy said earlier." Daphne says now changing the conversation. "Are you coming to the party tonight?" She asks Y/n and he grimaces.

"I was planning to decline." Y/n idles. "After all I don't think any of your parents would approve of my presence, Not after what happened the last time were were all in the same place." Y/n says and he subconsciously rubs his torso. "Besides, None of them are actually aware that I was released on parole to my knowledge. I don't particularly think my presence will be wanted." 

"We want you there, Fred, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby. We all want you to come Y/n." Daphne says.

"...I'll think about it." Y/n replies unenthusiastically  as he walks through the door now and back into the living room and Daphne follows. 

 "Any luck Y/n?" Fred can be heard asking as the two walk back inside. Y/n just shakes his head a little in response. "Well I guess we'll just have to wait till another clue comes up." Fred says. "Oh by the way, Daphne Do you still need to go to that cheese place you were talking about?" Fred asks her.

"That's right, I need to confirm the order for mother." Daphne replies.

"Cheese!?" Shaggy and Scooby suddenly says as they start drooling. 

"It's for the party tonight, So no eating it all before hand." Daphne says warning the two and they sigh. 

"Speaking of, Are you coming to the party Y/n? I can pick you up if you'd like? It would mean a lot to me if you could make it, I'm actually kind of nervous with my real parents being back." Fred chuckles.

Y/n sighs and crosses his arms. "If it means that much too you..." He reluctantly agrees. 

"Great, I'll pick you at around 7!" Fred says relieved.  

Daphne smiles feeling in a slightly better now hearing Y/n had agreed to go to the party tonight. 

"Mr Fussbuster, as part of the order mother would like the cheese early so it can acclimate to our ballroom." Daphne says to the store owner.

"Your mother is a true connoisseur of le fromage. Please let her know what an honour it is for me to be catering for her party." Mr Fussbuster says to Daphne. As he does a small store attendant picks up a block of cheese from the counter and carries it a table that the rest of the gang are stood at. He places the block down on the table and slips his feet out of his shoes now as he grabs a knife in one of his feet and uses the knife to cut the cheese into slices. Y/n and Fred look put off but it doesn't stop Shaggy and Scooby from gobbling down the samples of cheese. As the two finish Scooby now notices the drawing Velma has done on her tablet. 

"Raggy, rook, The Hodag." Scooby points to it. 

"What? This is the creature Daisy said attacked her in her bedroom." Velma says showing the others the drawing now. 

"Like, That's the stuffed animal we saw in the curio wagon." Shaggy says. 

"Curio Wagon?" Y/n asks. 

 Scooby and Shaggy had led everyone to the Curio Wagon they had visited the night before. The gang were all stood in front of the supposed creature.

"Like, meet the Hodag. Number one attraction of Gene Shepherd's Traveling Cabinet of Curiosities." Shaggy says.

"That can't be the thing that attacked Daisy. It's so...fake." Fred says.

The Hodag is a master of deception." A voice says from behind the gang and they turn around now to see Mr Shepherd. "Luring it's victims into a false sense of security before attacking." 

"Yeah right." Velma says dryly.

"What's in the high security box Mr Shepherd?" Fred asks now pointing to the box underneath the Hogdag.

 "Something, very, very valuable." Mr Shepherd says protectively. "I only open that box once a year." He then adds showing a key around his neck. 

"Like why?" Shaggy asks.

"It needs to breathe!" Mr Shepherd says confusing everyone. He kisses his key before he slinks away. 

"Can you say suspicious." Velma comments. 

"Suspicious." Both Scooby and Shaggy say.

Suddenly all the lights in the Curio cut out and the gang look around. The sound of a bell ringing can be heard before the Hodag's eyes light into life and it growls. The gang's attention all turn to it as it suddenly leaps from it's pedestal over their heads. It growls before it charges at them. 

Y/n pushes everyone down as the creature leaps towards them again teeth showing now. The Hodag lands on it's paws as it turns around and rushes at Scooby Doo pinning him down now and Scooby tries to push it off them. 

Mr Shepherd walks into the room no and it gets the attention of the Hodag and it turns to look at him or more specifically the key around his neck. Y/n notices this now and he grabs a shield that is in Mr Shepherd's collection and moves in front of him. As the Hodag leaps in the air towards him, Y/n raises the shield and blocks it's attack. 

Fred looks around for something he can use to help now and he spots an old camera with a flash. He wastes no time as he grabs it. "Cover your eyes." He calls out and the gang do so as Fred starts to take pictures causing the flash to go off. Scooby and the Hodag however don't cover their eyes and are blinded by the sudden flashes.

"My eyes!" Scooby cries as he stumbles into Shaggy, Daphne and then Fred knocking them over.

The Hodag growls aggressively now as it stumbles blindly across the floor and escapes through a door.  

As the gang pick themselves up they can hear the roar of the Hodag outside but when they rush out of the curio it is no where to be seen. 

Sheriff Stone's patrol car was sat outside the Curio wagon now as Mr Shepherd was sat on the stairs to his trailer. 

"Well, I'm not exactly sure what I should do about this little escapade. There's no law on the books against a curio coming to life and going crazy. What's this Hodag thing supposed to do anyway?" Sheriff Stone asks.

"It's a dangerous creature that tried to attack me. Oh, and it eats dogs." Mr Shepherd says. 

"What?" Scooby says scared.

"Eats dogs you say? Any chance it's practically fond of talking dogs?" Sheriff Stone says and Scooby growls at him only for the Sheriff to growl back. 

"All right. Knock it off you two." Velma says breaking them apart. 

"He started it." Sheriff Stone says.

"I did not." Scooby says and Y/n shakes his head.

"Whatever, Good luck. Hodag bait." Sheriff Stone says as he walks away and Scooby huffs. 

"Well, since this has solved nothing, I'm going back inside and see what I can salvage of my curio wagon." Mr Shepherd says getting up. 

Mr Shepherd heads inside shutting the door behind him. He looks around to make sure he is alone and once he is sure that he is he take the key around his neck off and heads toward the Hodag exhibit. He crouches down and places the key in the lock to the safe that sits below the now empty exhibit. He turns the key and a lock clicks before he lifts the lock up and opens the safe. A light emits from it as Mr Shepherd looks into the safe. "Don't worry, You're still safe." He says grinning. 

It was time for the party now and Y/n was sat in the Mystery Machine with Fred as Fred's  parents drove in a car behind the Mystery Machine. "I'm really glad you are coming to the party tonight Y/n." Fred says now breaking the silence. 

"Is that so?" Y/n asks him idly. 

"Yeah, I'm sure Daphne is as well." Fred says with a smile but Y/n brow just furrows before he looks over to Fred.

"What makes you say that." Y/n comments. 

"Oh...well um, because everyone else is. Right guys?" Fred says to Shaggy, Velma and Scooby who were sat in the back of the Mystery Machine. 

"Um, like sure Fred." Shaggy says not sure on what he's being asked. 

"Right." Velma says dryly. 

"I just want to get through this a quickly and painlessly as possible." Y/n says as Fred pulls into the driveway now and everyone can see several cars parked. 

Inside the Blake Mansion the party was now in full swing as eloquent music plays and guests were mingling. The gang and Fred's parents all enter now and Y/n finds himself involuntarily groaning to himself wishing he had not come already. Something catches his eyes however as he starts to leave the small group. 

"Hey where you going Y/n?" Fred asks.

"The bar." Is Y/n's only reply as he leaves. 

"That boy isn't old enough to drink." Brad comments and Fred just chuckles nervously. 

"Come on Mom and Dad let's go find some old faces for you to greet." Fred says distracting the two as walks with them leaving Velma, Shaggy, Scooby and Nova. Scooby and Nova waste no time in dispersing however as they head to wherever the food is leaving just Shaggy and Velma who look at each other. 

"Like...Velm is this..." Shaggy starts but he's interrupted by Daphne suddenly appearing. 

"Where's Fred and Y/n?" She asks. 

"Fred is with his parents doing what most people do at parties. Y/n meanwhile is at the bar." Velma replies and Daphne immediately frowns as she makes her way towards where the bar was set up.

Velma turns back to Shaggy now. "You were saying." 

"Um, Right..." Shaggy chuckles nervously. "I was maybe wondering...if now was a good time to talk. We haven't really had a chance to talk privately." Shaggy says fiddling with is fingers.

Daphne had made her way to the bar area where she could see Y/n sat in a stool admiring the contents in his glass.

Daphne slowly makes her way over to him now. "You're drinking?" She asks.

"It's a party no?" Y/n replies as she sips his drink. "And not one I particularly wanted to come to. I only came because you all asked me to. I have no desire to mingle with the guests, and the few people I do know outside of you all won't be pleased to see me I can imagine. At least here I'm out of the way and out trouble." Y/n says.  

Daphne shakes her head. "I'm going to talk with Fred's parents." 

Guests were enjoying the cheese platter that had been laid out in the main hall now as Mr Fussbuster was working hard. He suddenly gasps when he looks up however and turns to his assistant.  "Roberto, what am I not seeing when I look at that empty platter?" He asks pointing. 

Roberto just looks up at him and shrugs.

"Cheese! Fetch some more before the Blakes discover we've made such an egregious error." Mr Fussbuster says handing the plate to Roberto who walks off to fetch some more cheese.

Daphne was stood talking Fred's parents now in the front lobby. "Your parents have gone to a lot of trouble with all this Daphne." Brad says to her.

"It's just their way of saying they're glad you're back." Daphne says with a smile.

"Never thought we'd hear those words coming out of their mouths." Judy whispers to her husband. 

"Shh. Let's enjoy our reunion." Brad whispers back.

Roberto comes walking past now holding a full platter of cheese now as both Brad and Judy sample some. Brad looks down at Roberto who just gives him a blank stare back before awkwardly walking away to serve the other guests. 

"Excuse me? Fred's real mom?" Daphne says to Judy now and she turns to her. "I think I have something that belongs to you. I wanted to give back." Daphne says as she takes Judy's hand and place something in it. "Sort of a welcome home present." 

Judy opens her hand now to see it is the locket Daphne had found back in the Crystal Cove caves.

"My locket?" Judy says surprised to see it. She opens it now and it's old tune begins to play and Judy can see the old picture of herself and Brad inside. "Where did you...Oh thank you Daphne." Judy says hugging her. "I am so happy my boy has someone like you in his life." 

"Oh, Fred and I aren't dating." Daphne is quick to say as Judy lets go of her. 

"You're not?" Judy asks. 

"No, actually I used to date..." Daphne doesn't finish her statement as she and Judy can see Y/n enter the main room looking disappointed and slightly annoyed.

"Ahh more into the bad boy type I see." Judy says a little amused looking at Y/n. 

"Yeah..." Daphne says awkwardly.

"You said used to...What happened?" Judy asks Daphne now  but the sound of guests gasping gets both their attentions and the two turn around shocked to see Y/n standing with blood dripping from his mouth.

"A pleasure to see you again Mr Blake..." Y/n says calmly as he brings his fingers to his lip which is split and bleeding. Daphne's father Mr Blake was stood with his fist raised having just punched Y/n.

"Dad!" Daphne cries out as she rushes over to the scene now.

"You have some nerve showing your face here after everything you have done." Mr Blake says sternly to Y/n. "Why did they even let you out, Here to break my daughters heart yet again?"

Y/n just looks at Mr Blake but says nothing.  

"Dad no, I invited him." Daphne says standing in-between them now and pleading with her dad.

"You did?" Mr Blake says surprised. "After everything he did and everything he put you through pumpkin. Why would you invite him here?" He asks Daphne but she never gets to give her a chance to answer. 

"Dear, what on earth is going on over here..." Daphne's mother can be heard saying as she looks slightly embarrassed by the ever gathering crowd. 

"You'll have to forgive us Mrs Blake." Y/n says now and she turns around surprised to see him stood in her home. "It's simply a minor misunderstanding is all." Y/n says remaining civil. 

"You..." Mrs Blake find herself saying.

"Please don't allow my presence to ruin your wonderful party. Mr and Mrs Blake." Y/n says wiping his lip clean now. 

"You stay away from my house and my family." Mr Blake says to Y/n as he leads Daphne and his wife away now. 

"Go back to your drinks." Y/n says harshly now to the on looking party guests and they turn back around. "This is why I didn't want to come." Y/n quietly grumbles to himself now as he leaves through the front door.

 In the dining room where food was being served Scooby and Nova were sat at a table as Scooby offered to Nova that she wasted no time in lapping up while Scooby Doo ate some fondue. The two then began to eat a long piece of sting cheese together and Nova soon began to lick the fondue off of Scooby's face and he chuckles.  

Shaggy was sat at a table nearby with Velma. 

"So what did you want to talk about?" Velma asks him

Sheriff Stone was outside guarding the perimeter outside the Blake Mansion as he looked inside at the cheese table, He let's out a sigh. "Look at all that gorgeous cheese." He says admiring it. The sound of a bell ringing get his attention however and he turns around. Sheriff Stone moves now as he tries to find the source of the ringing bell. The sounds of leaves rustling behind him suddenly gets his attention and he stops on the path to look back. He does so but when he looks back their is nothing there. Sheriff Stone lets out a sigh and turns back to the front but now in front of him is the Hodag that let's out a roar at him. "What the!?" Sheriff Stone cries before he screams and runs towards the Blake Mansion with the Hodag chasing him. He found himself backed up against the mansions walls. He closes his eyes now as the Hodag leaps at him but instead of hitting him it flies through the window behind Sheriff Stone smashing through it and frightening the guests. The lights all turn off now as the Hodag growls at the guests. The frightened partygoers all try to run but the Hodag drags them several of them into the shadows as the other guests watch in horror. 

Nova tries to run away now but the sound of the bell on her collar alerts the Hodag and it quickly targets her, It chases after her before pinning the dog to the floor. The Hodag then picks Nova up now as Scooby in a moment of bravery tries to leap forward and grab the creature only to miss. The Hodag rushes towards the window it had crashed though earlier taking Nova with it. Scooby leaps out of the window now after the Hodag but he can't see it or Nova.

"Nova!" He cries out. "Where are you!? Nova! No!" Scooby wails.

The light come back on inside now as everyone looks to be still in shock. 

"We'e been robbed!" One guest cries out.

"My ring!" Another cries out.

"It stole my necklace!"  A final guest cries out.

Both Mr and Mrs Blake look at each other worried now that this had happened at their party.

Y/n was stood outside when the Mystery gang rushed out catching his attention. 

"What happened?" Y/n asks.

"It took Nova!" Scooby says as he rushes to the Mystery Machine.

Y/n turns to the rest of the gang hoping for an elaboration.

"The Hodag attacked the party just after you left. It robbed the guests and took Nova." Fred says.

"Y/n I am so sorry for what happened." Daphne starts to say now but Y/n holds up his hands stopping her.

"It doesn't matter, I expected it to happen and it did. What matters more now though is Scooby's little friend." Y/n says.

The Mystery Gang had all quickly made their way to Mr Shepherd's curio wagon now. The Mystery machine grinds to a halt as everyone quickly gets out and rushes to the door. The lights were off inside Mr Shepherd's trailer as the gang carefully and quietly made their way inside. 

In the centre of the room a large colourful and shiny pile catches their eyes and the gang all surround it. At their feet lay large pile of jewels and cash. 

"Like, look at all that loot." Shaggy says.

"There's the necklace I bought for Daisy." Daphne points out to a necklace in the pile and she picks it up now. 

"I think we've found out bad guy." Velma says. 

A door suddenly opens behind the gang startling them. "What are you kids doing in here?" Mr Shepherd can be herd saying angrily. 

Mr Shepherd was stood in a cell in the Sheriff's office now. "Sheriff, I'm innocent." 

"Save it Shepherd." Sheriff Stone says as he takes the key from Mr Shepherd's neck now. "I've impounded all your loot and your curio doohickeys. One of the perks of my job." He adds. Stood behind Sheriff Stone was the Mystery Inc gang who were looking through the pile of loot sat in the office for clues. "Here's how it works. I impound and after 30 days, I keep."

"It's supposed to be evidence." Y/n says.

"Listen here Mr back tie, suit wear fancy pants. I can do whatever I want because I'm Sheriff Bronson Stone. and this is all my stuff." Sheriff Stone says back to him. 

The Gang were all at city hal now as they walked through the basement.

"It was sure nice of Mayor Nettles to reward us for stopping that bad man by giving us our very own Mystery Incorporated office in the basement, right Pal?" Shaggy says. 

"Why does it say runk room?" Scooby says.

Velma opens the door now. "Because it's filled with junk." 

The rest of the gang look at the room now. "I've worked with his less." Y/n comments as he steps into the room. 

"Come on gang, Let's start cleaning." Fred says enthusiastically. Y/n takes off his coat now and sets it down, Daphne and Velma pick up a pair of brooms as they begin to sweep the floor. Scooby and Shaggy were sat shredding old papers that were useless now as Y/n and Fred worked together to move heavy furniture.

Scooby sighs and whimpers. "It doesn't make sense. How come we didn't find Nova?" He asks.

"Scooby is right, There's something very wrong with this picture." Daphne says.

"I have a hunch it has something to do with the bells that rung before the Hodag attacked." Vema says  typing away on her laptop for now. 

"Hey, that's right. I heard bells before that creepy creature snagged Scooby Doo's girlfriend." Shaggy says. 

"I also heard the sound of bells before it attacked us in the curio wagon." Y/n says and he looks to be in thought. "There's a history of using bells to train animals." He muses.

"My thoughts exactly, So I looked into it. Check it out." Velma says as everyone gathers around now. 

"Oh, now that's interesting." Y/n says crossing his arms.

"Gang, I believe this mystery is starting to come together." Fred says. 

Mr Shepherd's key was laid out on Sheriff Stone's desk, The lights to the Sheriff's office had all been dimmed and hiding in a spare cell was Sheriff Stone and Velma. 

"This is dumb. Let's just say the Mystery is solved and you and I can split all this confiscated loot." Sheriff Stone says to Velma but the sound of a bell ringing interrupts them and Velma brings a finger to her lips. The two look around but can hear thumping coming from above and Sheriff Stone whimpers a little. The Hodag appears now as it climbs through an air vent and towards Sheriff Stone's desk. It looks at the key before picking it up and leaving the way it came. 

"Smart chick to Scarf boy, The Hodag took the bait." Velma says into her phone. 

Outside the Sheriff's office were Fred, Shaggy and Scooby looking at the Curio wagon in the distance. 

"Roger that, Smart girl. Scarf boy out." Fred says hanging up. "Hmph, Next time I pick the codes names." The three can see the Hodag making it's way into the curio now. 

Hiding inside behind some furniture was Daphne, She watched as the Hodag walked towards it's exhibit but placed the key in the lock underneath it and unlocked the safe below. It lifted he safe door open and grabbed a large pouch out of it before rushing past Daphne thankfully not noticing her as it leaves and she lifts her phone up now. "Smoking Hottie to Smoking gun, The Hodag took whatever was in the chest. Coming your way." Daphne says on the phone.

Y/n sighs as he flicks away a cigarette from his fingers now. "Roger, Over and Out." He says hanging up. Y/n ties a bell to his belt now as he walks into the street and he bell echoes around it. The Hodag can be heard growling as it hears the bells and soon it comes into view. It drops the pouch in it's mouth as it focuses solely on the bells attached to Y/n's belt. "Too slow..." Y/n says as he begins to run with the Hodag giving chase.  

Y/n finds himself running up the side ramp of the building Fred had chosen as the Hodag chased him relentlessly. As Y/n finally reached the top he was quick to climb up a pillar away from the ground. The Hodag sat below desperately jumping in an effort to try and reach Y/n and the bells.

"Now!" Y/n calls out. 

 Fred and Shaggy waste no time as they pull hard on a rope and section of the floor the Hodag was on opens like a trap door and it fall through. Y/n jumps down from the pillar now as the door closes and he removes the bells from his belt.

"We got it!" Fred cries from below and Y/n looks down to give a two finger salute as he makes his way slowly down to join the others.

The Hodag can be heard growling as Scooby opens the doors to building and trapped in a cage was the Hodag. Scooby carefully pulled the cage out now as Y/n and Daphne caught up now. Velma and Sheriff Stone arrived in the Mystery Machine just after. Fred notices the pouch the Hodag had dropped and he opens it surprised by it's contents. 

"It was stealing this old wheel of cheese?" Fred says holding it up.

"Now let's see who the Hodag really is." Velma says and everyone gathers around the cage properly. Shaggy carefully lifts the cage open before he takes off part of the Hodag's costume off.

"Roberto!" Everyone says surprised to see the cheese assistant. 

"Where's my Nova?" Scooby asks.

"Wait a moment." Velma says as she reaches towards Roberto and takes a second mask off of him revealing a monkey to be beneath it. 

"A monkey?" Everyone says in suprise. 

"That's right! My monkey!" A voice says and the gang all look up to see Mr Fussbuster stood onto of the roof to his shop that was across the street. In his hands he held Nova. "Nobody move or the dog gets it." He warns them and hold Nova out ready to drop her to the ground. Nova whimpes.

"Nova!" Scooby cries out.

"Mr Fussbuster! Please don't hurt Nova. Why are you doing this?" Daphne pleads. 

"It all started back when I was a sailor working the trade boats in Indonesia. I learned you could train a monkey to steal. So that's just what I did. I trained Roberto using bells and used him to build up my fortune. When I rang a bell, he would start taking valuable objects. But he became bell crazy and started stealing bells too. It drove me insane! All of those Bells! And then he not only brought home the bells but whatever was attached to them. You don't know how many cats and cows and hunchbacks he brought home with him. But it was all worth it, We were about to steal the 500 year old cheese in your hands." Mr Fussbuster says pointing with his free hand at Fred.

"Five hundred year old cheese?" Fred says shocked. 

"Yes, It was made right here in Crystal Cove by a master Spanish cheese maker. It's priceless and with it's theft I could have finally retired to the Netherlands where they really enjoy cheese properly." Mr Fussbuster asks.

"But why the Hodag?" Velma asks.

"Shepherd's security was unbreakable. I needed the key. Seemed the best way to get it. Now toss the cheese up here and she won't get hurt." Mr Fussbuster says to the gang.

"Fred." Y/n says looking up at Mr Fussbuster but holding out of his hands to Fred.  Fred Wastes no time as he hands the cheese to Y/n who quickly works out what angle to throw the cheese at. Y/n tucks the cheese under his arm a little as he spins on the spot a few time picking up momentum before he hurls the cheese block straight at Mr Fussbuster like a discus thrower would. The block of cheese moves far faster then Mr Fussbuster can catch at and it hits in straight in the head knocking him off balance as he lets go of Nova. 

"Nova!" Scooby cries as he rushes forward catching her as he falls only to be rewarded with a few licks to the face. 

Mr Fussbuster himself screams as he falls now but lands in a nearby bush passed out. 

"He's all yours." Y/n says looking down at the passed out Mr Fussbuster.

Mr Fussbuster was now sat handcuffed to Roberto played with the bell Y/n had given him as Mr Fussbuster groaned. "And I would have gotten away with it too, If it weren't for those blasted bells. The bells, The bells!" He can be heard crying as Sheriff Stone starts to drive away. 

"Why did you give Roberto that Bell?" Velma ask Y/n as the gang watch with Mr Shepherd who had been freed from his cell.

"I knew it would annoy Mr Fullbuster and Sheriff Stone." Y/n says with a small amused smile before it disappears. 

"Here's your cheese Mr Shepherd." Fred says offering it back to him.

"No, you kids keep it. It's cracked. Cracked and Worthless. Worthless!" Mr Shepherd says despairingly. 

"Sorry you lost your prized possession. I bet you wish you'd never stopped here." Daphne says sympathetically to him. 

 "Why did you come to Crystal Cove Mr Shepherd? We don't get many attractions like yours here." Velma asks curiously. 

"It was the cheese. The cheese told me to come here." Mr Shepherd replies before he walks away. 

Y/n looks at the cheese in Fred's hand now. "I have a bad feeling about this..." He says.

"About what Y/n/" Fred asks. 

Y/n takes the cheese wheel from Fred now before he surprises the others by breaking it in half. But they all gasp when they see what is inside the cheese wheel. 

A Planispheric disc piece.

It was the middle of the night now in the Crystal Cove woods. Cassidy Williams emerges from the fog, Behind a tree emerge Brad and Judy and opposite them appears Ricky Owens.

"Well, What do you want?" Cassidy asks Ricky. 

"What? I don't want anything." Ricky says back. 

"Then why did you set up a meeting?" Cassidy asks him doubtfully. 

"It wasn't me." Ricky says before he turns to Brad and Judy. "I thought you two set it up." 

"No." Brad says. 

"Not us." Judy adds. 

"Then who did?" Cassidy asks. 

"I did." A voice says and the 4 gasp as they look up to see Professor Pericles stood on a branch above them. "The little evil bird in the tree branch. I asked you all here to discuss a matter of great importance." 

"Newspaper on the bottom of your cage need changing?" Cassidy says. 

Pericles ignores her attempts to annoy him. "it would appear the kinder, the new Mystery Incorporated...have obtained the third and now the fourth piece of the planispheric disc." He informs the group. 

"No." Judy Says shocked. 

"Yes. This cannot continue. And as such, I have a little proposition for all of you." Professor Pericles says. 

And that's the chapter! So the gang have discovered another piece of the Planispheric disc and  what is going on with the old Mystery Gang? If you liked this chapter or just the story in general then don't forget to leave a vote and a comment. I shall see you all next week in....

Art of Darkness

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 93 10
Walter Harpercop and his best friends, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby Doo think they've seen it all when it comes to mystery-solving. But th...
1.6K 28 12
Another story with me in it. That's basically how it's gonna be with my stories. In this timeline of SDMI, There are instead of five members in the m...
118K 1.3K 13
Zoinks! Two years after a clash of egos forced Mystery Inc. to close its doors, Scooby-Doo and his clever crime-solving cohorts Fred Jones, Daphne Bl...
87 7 3
Isabella Jones, older sister to Fred Jones. She's good friends with the gang! She also experiences great things along the way! And she knows the trut...