Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

By rocketeerin

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... More

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
3 ~ No rain, no flowers
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
10 ~ The other Crawleys
11 ~ Late for a date
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
21 ~ In Full Bloom
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
34 ~ Mercy Ship
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
41 ~ Temporariness of a Day
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall
43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

7 ~ Duke of Cowborough

3.6K 105 65
By rocketeerin

A little over a week had passed since the visit to Lady Crawley's house. Today, Downton Abbey prepared for the arrival of the Duke of Crowborough. Evelyn was usually excited by guests visiting Downton, but this man was here for one thing and that was to snatch Mary for her money. She took what Cora said to heart and felt bad that Mary couldn't hide the money, though Evelyn wasn't sure how long she'd be able to hide hers either.

Evelyn stood beside Mrs. Patmore in the kitchen, rolling out the dough for a raspberry tart and chatting with Gwen. Anna walked into the kitchen and over to her.

"It's about time you go up and get ready, it won't be long before he's here."

Evelyn groaned. "Do I have to?"

"You're not excited about a Duke visiting?" Daisy asked in surprise.

"Most Dukes are prideful and duplicitous." Daisy stared at her confused. "Means they're manipulative."

"Oooh." Daisy nodded.

At the mention of the Duke, Thomas's interest was suddenly piqued as he strode over and stood in front of her. "And how do you know he's like all the others?"

"I have an instinct about people." She smiled confidently.

"Oh, do you now? What does your instinct tell you about your doctor?" He smirked.

"Well. He's nice..."

"That's it? He's nice?" Gwen asked curiously. Gwen was one that Anna confided in about her concerns about Ben, though she would never admit that to Evelyn.

Evelyn shrugged. Thomas smiled at the lack of 'reading' for Ben. He put on his signature smolder and leaned over the counter with his arms pushed against the wooden tabletop, making his shoulders seem bigger than they already were. His new position putting him much closer to her. "And what does your instinct say about me?"

She popped a raspberry into her mouth before meeting his gaze and leaning in as well. "My instincts tell me that you're conniving, cocky, brash, and absurdly annoying." She leaned in a bit more with every word until their noses touched. She could see Mrs. Patmore watching them tensely out the corner of her eye.

Evelyn leaned away from him as his eyes, which held a look she had never seen before, watched her plant herself back on her feet. He smirked again. "I'll take it."

Mister Carson strode into the kitchen. "Mises Patmore I need - Evelyn! Go upstairs and get ready you look a mess!"

Anna grinned. "Oh, he used the formal name, you're in trouble. Come on, I'll help you clean up."

Evelyn and Anna maneuvered through the kitchen, Evelyn sticking her tongue out at Mr. Carson before heading up the stairs.

--------------------

"This dress is uncomfortable." Evelyn pouted as she stood in front of her full-length mirror while running her hands over the tiny buttons that ran down the middle of the baby blue bodice. "It's too tight. The buttons are gonna burst off and how lovely that will be in front of a Duke! I don't think Aunt Cora understands I'm not flat-chested like Mary...don't tell her I said that."

Anna laughed at Evelyn's dramatics. "It may be a bit tight but it will do for now. Regardless, it looks pretty on you. Now, how should I do your hair?" Anna asked while placing Evelyn's flour-covered clothes in a basket.

"I think it's fine how it is."

Anna cocked her eyebrow as her eyes scanned over Evelyn's waves that hung down her back with only part of it clipped back. Evelyn pulled her hair around to fall over her chest instead as she ran her fingers through it.

"I don't know how Lady Grantham will feel about that. It's a Duke, after all, you know she's going to be picky about everything."

"I'm feeling the down look." Evelyn winked.

Anna sighed. "Ok, but if she blames me you better speak up. I'll leave you to finish, please don't be the last one to walk out as usual."

Evelyn smiled as she was left alone to look at herself in the mirror. She pursed her lips as she ran her hands over her waist once more, taking in her appearance. She never really paid much attention to the way she looked or dressed - not until recently anyway. Evelyn grew up quite scrawny and she was often teased by her cousins for it; however, shortly after she turned 16 she quickly grew out of the scrawny phase. Cora often told her how much her figure reminded her of her mother's with her shorter stature and hourglass shape, though Evelyn often found herself feeling self-conscious considering her cousins were tall and slim.

A knock on her door pulled her from her thoughts as Sybil peaked in, Evelyn smiled at her through the mirror.

"Are you ready to come down?"

"I suppose."

----------------------

The staff line up outside of the doors of Downton as a blue car approached the house, the Crawley family, with Evelyn and Isis, made their way out the doors when the car stopped. William opened the car door to allow the Duke to step out. Evelyn scanned over him and twisted her nose slightly, she expected someone a bit more handsome.

Sybil nudged her and bit her lip to keep from laughing. "Your disgust is very obvious, stop it." Evelyn grinned and returned her face to just pure boredom.

Robert is the first to approach the Duke, followed by Cora as the girls stood behind.

"Welcome to Downton." Robert greeted with a warm smile. As the Duke's eyes look down the line of the staff, the ladies curtsy and the men bow their heads to him.

The Duke took Cora's hand and smiled. "Not at all, Duke. I'm delighted you could spare the. You know my daughter, Mary, of course." Cora gestured to the girls behind her.

"Of course, Lady Mary." He smiled and her.

"And Edith, but I don't believe you've met my youngest, Sybil."

"Ah, Lady Sybil." He stepped towards Sybil to shake her hand.

"How do you do?"

"And this is Evelyn, our niece."

He looked to Evelyn, who stood next to Sybil, and took her hand. His brows furrowed as if he recognized her name. "Ah...Lady Evelyn, a pleasure to meet you." Evelyn nodded and smiled.

Cora began to lead the party inside. "Come on in, you must be worn out."

The Duke began to follow but stopped abruptly. "Oh, Lady Grantham, I have a confession to make, which I hope won't cause too much bother. My man was taken ill just as I was leaving, so..."

"Oh, well, that won't be a problem, will it Carson?" Robert gestured to Carson.

"Certainly not. I shall look after His Grace myself." Carson spoke proudly.

"Oh no, I wouldn't dream of being such a nuisance, surely a footman..." his eyes landed on Thomas. "I remember this man. Didn't you serve me when I dined with Lady Grantham in London?"

Thomas nodded. "I did, Your Grace."

The Duke grinned. "Ah, there we are. We shall do very well together, won't we...?"

"Thomas, Your Grace."

"...Thomas."

Evelyn could see O'Brien look at Thomas then back to the Duke suspiciously, Evelyn felt suspicious herself. There was something odd with those two.

"I hope you had a pleasant journey." Cora made small talk with the Duke as the family began to make their way inside.

Before they had made it in, O'Brien kicked Bate's cane out from under him, causing him to fall into the gravel. The family watched in shock and worry, Carson clenched his jaw.

"Bates are you alright?" Robert asked with a shocked tone.

"Perfectly, my lord. I apologize." Bates struggled to get himself back to his feet.

The family continued inside but Evelyn stayed behind and once they were out of site she rushed over to help Bates stand along with Anna.

"There, all better." Anna brushed off his sleeve for him before he raised his hand to stop her.

"Please, don't feel sorry for me." He tried to put on a strong face but the hurt in his eyes was evident to both Evelyn and Anna. He followed the rest of the staff to the servents' entrance of the house.

Evelyn sighed and watched the poor man limp away. "He wouldn't have just fallen like that, unless his cane just slipped out from under him..." She thought for a second. "Who was next to him?"

"Umm...Thomas was on one side and O'Brien was on the other. Well...that explains it."

"Poor man. You best believe I'm going to rip O'Briens nose off - "

"Evie...he doesn't want pitty or to be babied. Trust me I'd like to do the same to her."

"He doesn't have to know. She won't stop unless someone shoves a foot up her - "

"Evie." This time Anna laughed a bit.

"Hm...I'm not apologizing. Thomas too, I'll talk to him. I know he wanted that position, but if I can help it that's not the way he's going to get it."

"I think he might listen to you. O'Brien will tell you to piss off."

"She says anything of the sort I'll - "

Carson opened the front door. "Evelyn, come join the family." He spoke gruffly, still miffed at Bate's embarrassing moment.

Evelyn rolled her eyes and trudged towards Carosn. "Why am I always interrupted before I can get to the good parts."

----------------------

Evening dinner rolled around quickly as Evelyn sat in her usual seat across from Cora, tonight that put her next to Lady Crawley who joined them to see the Duke. Evelyn happily ate her chicken, she was starving and in all the bustle of the Duke's arrival she had forgotten to eat at all today.

She felt eyes on her and glanced to her right to see Violet staring at her vexedly. "If I recall you were raised by my son not a pack of wolves." Violet said smartly.

Evelyn put her fork down and looked at her unamsuedly before giving her an insincere smile. "Forgive my lack of manners, Lady Crawley."

She pursed her lips and hummed. "You're forgiven."

When she looked away, Evelyn rolled her eyes and continued eating but a bit more conscious now.

"I'm afraid we're rather a female party tonight, Duke, but you know what it's like trying to balance numbers in the country. A single man outranks the Holy Grail." Cora said kindly at the Duke.

Evelyn quietly snorted at the statement, which Violet heard and gave her a disapproving look.

The Duke chuckled. "No, I'm terribly flattered to be dining en famille."

Evelyn bit her lip and picked up her napkin, holding it to her mouth before she lost it. She always found dinner with guests to be hardest because of her immense desire to laugh - probably because at dinner is when she's supposed to be on her best behavior. She composed herself enough for the time being to set her napkin down and continue eating.

Edith lifted her head and looked to the Duke. "What were you and Mary doing in the attics this morning?"

Evelyn sighed and laid her fork down, intertwining her hands together in front of her to give this situation - that she knew would soon spiral - her full attention. Evelyn noticed Violet had done the same. If there was one thing Evelyn and Violet had in common, it was that they thoroughly enjoyed watching drama play out.

"I expect Mary was just showing the duke the house, weren't you?" Sybil spoke first to try and difuse the tension.

Violet scoffed. "Are you a student of acritecure?"

Evelyn smirked beside her. "Or perhaps just an admirer of architecture?"

Violet hummed in agreement.

The Duke looked between the two women who shared the same skeptical expression as he sipped his water. "Mm, absolutely."

Violet smirked. "Then I do hope you'll come and inspect my little cottage. It was designed by Rein..."

The Duke looked a bit confused but played along and nodded, "Ah."

"For the first earl's sister." Violet continued.

Evelyn smirked. "Surely you know who Rein is, all of his magnificent works. What's your favorite?" Evelyn had no earthly idea who Rein was.

"Oh yes I'd quite like to know that as well." Violet spoke with a smile.

The Duke laughed nervously as his mind raced while trying to avoid the eyes of the women staring him down from across the table.

Robert looked up, curiosity spread across his face. "The attics?"

Edith nodded. "Yes. Mary took the Duke up to the attics."

"Whatever for?" Robert pushed.

Evelyn and Violet sipped their drinks as their eyes danced through the thickening plight....or 'tea' if you will.

Cora was now interested in the reason as well. "Why was this, dear?"

"We were just looking around." Mary defended nonchalantly.

Edith scoffed. "Looking around? What is there to look at but servants' rooms? What was the real reason?"

At the mention of the rooms, Thomas glanced back a bit worriedly. Evelyn noticed his sudden change in demeanor.

Violet chuckled uncomfortably as it began to get out of hand with Edith's voice getting louder. "Don't be such a chatterbox, Edith."

Cora smiled to lighten the mood as she began to stand. "I think we'll go through."

Evelyn rolled her eyes and stuffed one last piece of chicken in her mouth before rising with the others.

Edith shook her head in confusion at how easily the issue was dropped. "I still don't understand - "

"Will you hold your tongue?" Mary spat with annoyance.

The ladies in the room exitied into the dining room by order of age, something Evelyn found odd. She followed behind the fuming Edith as the party retreated into the drawing room, leaving the two men to smoke their ciagrs and chat.

---------------------

The Crawley family and their guest retired to their rooms for the night. Evelyn had changed into her gown and sat on her bed to read through the next chapters of The Wizard of Oz. Her hair was briaded loosly over her shoulder as she twirled a piece around her finger absentmindedly.

While Evelyn relaxed in her room, Thomas was busy tending to the Duke of Cowborough.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 122 27
(Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley) When you serve in war together you form a bond beyond all else. When you serve in war with Thomas Barrow you find you...
14.1K 613 59
March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paternity for the foundling. The story mainly r...
8K 129 11
In the grand halls of Downton Abbey, where tradition and aristocracy intertwine, there exists a young woman named Florence Crawley. She is the second...
159K 3.9K 28
F I L A N O L V L E E N »» FALLEN IN LOVE! - develop a deep romantic to someone. »» IN WHERE A GROUP OF CHILDREN GO THR...