his sapphire • anthony bridge...

By laurenfrances

extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world Nola Addington never reached for... More

cast
one • the arrival
two • a mere sapphire
three • the gentlemen's agreement
four • in the pit of my stomach
five • unlikely circumstances
six • how could I ever know?
seven • think of me
eight • the proposal
nine • a new situation
ten • splendid?
eleven • lost in the darkness
twelve • the act of honesty
thirteen • underway
fourteen • i can hear the bells
fifteen • one life
sixteen • one of passion
seventeen • the union
eighteen • what a life
Nola Addington
nineteen • bloom
twenty • the pain i feel
twenty-one • unexpected
twenty- two • through the eyes...
authors note
twenty-three • to endure
twenty-four • within the gardens
twenty-five • doulas and godparents
twenty-six • the opera
twenty- seven • sienna rosso
twenty-eight • she cries
twenty-nine • her mothers daughter
thirty • i'll never let you go
thirty-one • till there was you
thirty-two • that would be enough
thirty-three • alverie's smile
hmm... authors note!
thirty-four • the joy of a child
thirty-five • apiphobia
thirty-six • silence
thirty-seven • the ghost of many years ago
thirty-eight • colin unhinged
thirty-nine • oh, lord
fourty-one • slow and steady
fourty-two • secrets
benedict story!!
fourty-three • a right, honorable lady
fourty-four • pall mall
fourty-five • sore loser
fourty-six • your eyes
fun facts
fourty-seven • unimaginable
fourty-eight • tightrope
publishing calendar
fourty-nine • her eyes
Prince Friedrich?
fifty • the vast eternal sky
authors note
SO EXCITED
authors note
fifty-one • epilogue
authors note
question

fourty • unruly circumstances

14.6K 372 20
By laurenfrances

•••
"from now on... these eyes will not be blinded by the light."
•••

Grosvenor Square, July 1814

The bond between man and bride is private, sacred. But I must tell you, I have learned that a grave fraud is afoot.

"What is it?" Colin stated, seeing Violet and Nola in the hall. Nola sat on the chair, her gaze never leaving her hands on her lap, and Violet paced the floor, holding a piece of paper in her hands.

Colin walked up to Violet concerned as she handed him the article.

As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with child...

Colin dropped his bag to the floor. Nola could see his heart break through his pained expression, and she wanted nothing more to run up and embrace him, but she knew it was not an appropriate moment.

And she has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city. Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but I would wager many will think her actions beyond the pale.

Perhaps she thought it was her only option, or perhaps she knows no shame. But I ask you- can the ends ever justify such wretched means?

Anthony ran urgently down the long staircase, seeming to have just been notified about what information was exchanged from Lady Whistledown's spread this week, and seeing his brother in distraught did not bring him any sense of joy- even if he had been right.

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham.

Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name. Like the terms of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby.

•••

Attending the modiste with Eloise had become a fond activity for Nola. Alverie loved to see the fabrics, and hear the accent of Lady Delacroix, the seamstress at the Modiste. "Hold still, ma chérie." Alverie giggled, sitting on the floor at Eloise's feet.

"This scandal could very well tarnish my debut, Mama." Eloise pondered. "Perhaps we should delay my coming out altogether a few years." Nola could be heard laughing hysterically in the parlor, knowing it was not to work.

"Hush, child, all will be well." Violet promised, picking up her granddaughter from Eloise's feet. "Just keep smiling."

"Can a smile be enough to save the Featheringtons?" Violet looked taken back. "Penelope and her sisters did nothing wrong, but their reputations destroyed." Nola joined them in the other room, noticing the attention the conversation was getting by other women within the shop.

"You should be worrying about your own family's fortunes at present. We are in just as perilous position." Catching on to the women around, Violet called, "lovely day, is it not, Lady Richmond?" Nola grabbed her baby, walking up the mirror to make funny faces to her daughter.

"It's this Whistledown." Eloise said through gritted teeth.

"I certainly never want to cross the woman," Madame Delacroix stated, continuing to pin the bottom of the gown, "her word as good as gospel." She was not wrong.

"Yes." Eloise agreed, "though, perhaps if she can destroy a reputation... she can restore one too."

Madame Delacroix gasped theatrically, "Trés élégante, Miss Bridgerton, what a debutante you will be!"

Violet released a sigh of relief.

while there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge... somewhere.

"Miss Thompson must be in agonies over these lies. What can I not visit her?" Colin asked, angrily.

"Colin-" Violet began, quickly cut off by her eldest,

"Listen to me, brother. That the ton devours every bit of Whistledown's on-dit is the only thing keeping this family from shame." Anthony reasoned, standing behind his wife. "Because of her column, no one believes you are the father of Miss Thompson's child." He rested his hand on Nola's shoulder, "but if you were to go near her, then they'll presume you responsible for her ruin, and all your sisters will pay the price for your notoriety. Is this what you desire?"

"Of course not, but-" Colin was cut off by the door opening- and in came Daphne.

Nola stood from the couch, quickly running to embrace her best friend, "evening, everyone." She greeted, hugging Nola back.

"Dearest!" Violet exclaimed.

"What are you doing here, Daph? Should you not be frolicking in newlywed bliss?" Anthony questioned.

"I came as swiftly as our carriage would allow when I heard the news." She explained, moving with Nola to sit on the loveseat.

"In the middle of your honeymoon?" Anthony added.

"Hastings must surely be cursing the Bridgerton name for this." Benedict joked, leaning on the fireplace. "Where is he, anyhow?"

Daphne gulped, "he went to set up Hastings house." Nola could sense something was off.

"We have all things in order, sister." Anthony lied. "We do not require your assistance,"

"That is simply not true, Anthony, and you know it." Nola argued, narrowing her eyes as her husband, "Daphne may be the answer to all of our problems. Once the ton see that we still have the favor of the Duke and duchess, then the whispers may very well cease, and we shall go about our daily lives as if nothing has happened, as if nothing is awry." She hated knowing she was causing Colin pain, but it was the future of her sisters-in-law she had to look out for. Colin would have no issue finding another bride.

Daphne nodded in agreement, explaining that she could secure an invitation to the queens luncheon, upsetting Colin. "I'm so glad this is being settled on my behalf." Nola looked about everyone, seeing no one stir, and follow Colin herself.

Hearing Anthony shout her name, she sped up calling for Colin, managing to break into his room before he shut her out. "What do you want." He groaned, sitting on the end of his bed, refusing to meet her gaze.

"Colin, please understand it is for the best." She sighed, kneeling in front of him on the floor.

"Why must you all treat me like a child?" He glared, "you sit here scolding me like I am Gregory? Nola, I am older than you." She huffed, narrowing her eyes at him.

"Colin-"

"I don't understand." He whispered to himself, standing and pacing to his mirror.

"Do not understand what?" Nola asked, leaning on her left knee to stabilize herself. "Colin...?"

"How you just made a decision for me, yet..." he stopped talking, using his right arm to lean against the wall, "yet, you still manage to drive me insane."

She quickly stood to her feet, "excuse me?" She asked, wondering if she had heard him correctly.

"Surely, you had to have noticed, Nola?" He begged, grabbing her face with his hands, putting her into an area of shock, "you had to have seen." She viciously shook her head, pulling his hands from her face.

"Colin, I do not know what you mean, but this is highly inappropriate..." she backed away, but he only stalked forward, blocking her into the wall.

"Nola, I've been in love with you since I first saw you." He confessed, looking to her lips, and she quickly knew to get away, making him look at her with the most painful expression.

"Colin..." she whimpered, hand on the doorknob, "I am happily married to Anthony," he placed his hand on his forehead, looking to the floor. "I have birthed his daughter, and..." she sighed, "and I am about to give him another child." Colin's head snapped up.

"You mean...?"

"Yes, Colin. I did not intend to tell anyone just yet, but-" he quickly cut her off,

"Nola, I- I'm sorry."

"Just forget it."

"I did not know what-"

"Colin!" She exclaimed, "we must pretend nothing happened. Do you understand? Anthony would have your head." He slowly nodded.

She hadn't planned on telling anyone anytime soon, but with Colin knowing of her condition, she would have to find a way to tell Anthony.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.3K 2.2K 14
London, 1814 . Alina Wellesley, the daughter of the renowned Duke of Wellington is ready to make her debut in society and find a husband. However, wi...
50.5K 1K 26
"𝚨 𝐠𝛐𝛐𝐝 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐠𝐢v𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝛐𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝛐𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝛐𝐫𝐦𝐬 𝐚𝐭 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝛐 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝛐𝐮 𝐤𝐢�...
269K 2.9K 79
Did you watch Bridgerton and wonder which brother you would choose? Well now is your chance! Play this "choose your own adventure" Bridgerton book an...
800K 18.1K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...