STAND BY ME ⟦ BRIDGERTON...

By notdoing_get_help

SO, DARLING, DARLING STAND MY ME OH, STAND BY ME "TAKE MY HAND" "WHY"... More

CAST
AESTHETICS
1 | of course she heard you
3 | men need to be teased and deprived
IV. LIGHTS & COPY
V. RUBIES & PEARLS
VI. ROUGE & APOLOGIES
VII. UNTOUCHABLE & PURE
VII. WINDOWS & LAWNS
VIII. WATERFALLS & RUSES
IX. WORRY & CONFUSION
X. TEARS & MATCHES
XI. CHAMPAGNE & WHISKEY
XII. WATER AND STAIRS
XIII. TRUST & DECENCY
XV. SINS & SCANDALS
XVI. STRANGERS & PUNISHMENT
XVII. TRUST & FORGIVENESS
XVIII. GOSSIP & SCANDAL
XIX. INVITATIONS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
XX. MAN & WIFE
XXI. BANTERS & PROMISES
XXII. FAITH & LOVE
XXIII. STOVES & BETS
XXIV. LOVE & FOREVER
XXV. WAITING & THINGS
XXVI. RINGS & CHILDREN
XXVII. GIFTS & AUNTS
A NEW BRIDGERTON FIC
BENEDICT BRIDGERTON FIC
BOOK 2

2 | most undignified, indeed

60.4K 1.8K 678
By notdoing_get_help

S1E1
diamond of the first water

I STEP OUT OF the carriage, and spot Lady Danbury near the entrance, a gentleman with her. I walk towards them, and Lady Danbury spots me.

"Ah, Miss Bridgerton." She greets.

"Lady Danbury." I reply, and courtesy.

"Your Grace, meet Miss Bridgerton." Lady Danbury tells the man. "Miss Bridgerton, this the the Duke of Hastings, I do believe your brother and him were acquainted at Oxford."

"Your Grace." I turn to the Duke, and courtesy, and he nods.

"What brings you to my doorstep, Miss Bridgerton?" Lady Danbury questions me. "Have you already finished the last book I gave you."

"I do believe so, Lady Danbury." I tell her, as I show her the book. "It has been a terribly boring few days, with this as my only source of entertainment."

"Fear not, we shall find you another one of those, in just a moment, after I finish speaking to the Duke." She tells me. "You might even want to take an extra one for that sister of your, Eloise."

"That would be most wonderful, Lady Danbury." I tell her with a smile.

She turns to the Duke again.

"As you know, I'm to host a ball this evening." Lady Danbury says.

"Yes." The Duke nods.

"I have managed to keep the details of your return quiet." Lady Danbury continues. "But when those vulgar mamas discover that there is an eligible duke, present at tonight's fete, I shall be able to keep such a secret no longer."

"That is what I was hoping to discuss." The Duke replies, not meeting Lady Danbury's eyes. "I have only returned to London to deal with my late father's affairs. I'm afraid it leaves me no time to... socialize. And so, whilst I appreciate your most gracious invitation, Lady Danbury, I must ask you to accept my regrets."

"Your regrets..." Lady Danbury tells him. "Are denied."

The Duke, still unable to meet her eyes, looks down.

"I suppose a brief appearance..." He tells her, and I hide my smile at how easily he caved at Lady Danbury's glare.

"Excellent." Lady Danbury says, with a smile, as she hands me her walking stick, and takes my arm for support. "You may leave that flask you carry at home." She tells him, as we start walking to the entrance. "Most undignified, isn't it, Miss Bridgerton?" She asks, still in hearing distance form the Duke.

"Most undignified, indeed, Lady Danbury." I reply, with a laugh.

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth.

Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as 'the spinster'.

"THEY'RE ALL STARING, MOTHER." Anthony says, as we walk into the ball.

"Allow them to come to you, dears." Mama tells us.

"Lady Bridgerton, Miss Daphne, Miss Diana." Lord Ambrose greets. "Lord Bridgerton."

"I believe you have already been introduced to my daughter Daphne, Lord Ambrose." Mama tells him.

"Uh, yes. We met at your brother's levee." Lord Ambrose replies.

"If I recall, my lord, you had just won your first race at Newmarket." Daphne tells him.

"His first and only, I believe." Anthony cuts in, and I hide my smirk.

"Well, in that case, let us hope his lordship has found himself a new horse." Daphne says.

"I haven't had the pleasure of seeing you at our club lately, Ambrose." Anthony continues. "Should it have anything to do with the unpaid balance you left on our betting books winter last?"

Lord Ambrose awkwardly bows, and leaves.

"Ambrose is a cheat." Anthony tells us. "A man of any honor ensures his debts are fully paid."

"I did not realize..." Daphne says.

"Well, how could you have done?" Anthony asks her. "It is the very reason I am here, Sister." He turns to me. "Let us take a turn about the room."

"You and Daphne go." I tell them. "I will go and find Benedict, and force him into chaperoning me."

"Very well." Anthony nods.

I WAS AT THE refreshments table, after taking a round of the room with Benedict, I had left to get something to drink.

I take a sip, and turn around, but apparently, someone also thought to turn my way, making me spill my drink all over their shirt.

"Oh, my." I gasp, and I grab a napkin. "My apologies, I did not expect someone to be stood there."

"It's quite alright, Miss...?" He replies, and I look up at his gorgeous brown eyes.

"Bridgerton." I answer, handing him the napkin. "Diana Bridgerton. And you are?"

"Uhh, Barnes." He replies. "Louis Barnes."

"Well, my sincerest apologies to you, Mister Barnes." I tell him.

"Ah, there you are, Miss Bridgerton." Lady Danbury announces, as she approaches us. "And I see you already made acquaintance with Pri—"

"Mister Barnes!" Mister Barnes cuts her off, and I look at them confused.

Lady Danbury looks at him, for a moment, and then turns to me, with a smirk.

"Yes, you have made acquaintance with Mister Barnes." Lady Danbury tells me, with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Yes, I do believe I have." I reply, and spot my siblings behind Lady Danbury. "But, now, I'm afraid, I must go and meet my siblings."

"You would not mind if I accompany you, Miss Bridgerton, would you?" Lady Danbury tells me.

"Oh, not at all, Lady Danbury." I tell her, as she takes my hand. "I would be honored."

"And I shall have a word with you, Mister Barnes, later in the evening." Lady Danbury tells him.

We make our way towards my brothers and sister, and as soon as my brothers spot me with Lady Danbury, they attempt to flea, and I look down to hide my smile at their fear of sweet Lady Danbury.

"Too late." Lady Danbury calls out to them, and they all return to their places. "I already noted you."

"Lady Danbury." All three of them chorus.

"Good evening." Anthony tells her.

"Miss Bridgerton, you look rather lovely this evening." She tells Daphne. "Is there a reason I've yet to see you on the dance floor?"

"All in good time, Lady Danbury." Anthony replies for her.

"You poor thing." Lady Danbury tells her, and turns to me. "As for you, Miss Diana, I do believe you still need to inform me of the progress you've made on the latest book."

And with that, she drags me along the side.

A/N

QUALITY DIANA AND LADY DANBURY TIME. DO YOU GUYS LIKE THEIR FRIENDSHIP?

AND WHAT DID YOU THINK OF MISTER BARNES? *WINK* *WINK* *SHIT I GOT AN EYELASH IN MY EYE TRYING TO WINK*

YOU KNOW WHAT O JUST REALISED? BOTH OF MY MALE OCS IN THIS ONE AND MY DYNASTY FANFIC LIE ABOUT THIER LAST NAMES, BUT NOT THEIR FIRST NAMES, I MEAN DO I HAVE A TYPE THAT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT? DO I HAVE ANY UNDERLYING ISSUES I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183 12 5
Emmeline wished for a family like that of the Bridgerton family. She grew alongside them and watched them. That kind of love and feeling of family wa...
70.1K 2.1K 28
Upper Ten Thousand Heyerism meant to imply the Ton.
44K 1.4K 13
"I do not wish to marry." 【bridgerton fanfic】 【m! oc x fem! oc】 【s1 - ???】 disclaimer: i don't own bridgerton nor any of its characters. i only own F...
303 8 6
"So we grew together, Like to a double cherry, seeming parted, But yet an union in partition, Two lovely berries moulded on one stem." - William Sh...