V. RUBIES & PEARLS

EPISODE 2: SHOCK AND DELIGHTCHAPTER 5

CHAPTER 5. RUBIES AND PEARLS

 RUBIES AND PEARLS

That will not be necessary. There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, 'shock' and 'delight'. Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

"HE IS SMILING." LADY Danbury tells us, as her, Mama, and I sit on a bench, as Daphne and the Duke stroll the path. "The duke rarely smiles."

"Daphne has an excellent sense of humor." Mama tells her.

"She will need it." Lady Danbury tells her. "Life as a duchess will have many demands. Hosting balls, greeting foreign dignitaries... Daphne will not merely be in society. She will be leading it."

"I have prepared her quite well, Lady Danbury." Mama says, and smiles at me. "I have prepared both of them very well."

"TWO DANCES?" HYACINTH ASKS amazed. "With a duke?"

"He was quite taken with your sister, Hyacinth." Mama tells her, as Daphne plays the piano, and I sit reading a book. "The entire party was, for that matter. All eyes were on Daphne." She turns to Daphne. "At least enjoy some toast, dearest."

"I am not hungry, Mama." She replies.

"Are you certain the entire party was not simply eyeing a tear in her dress?" Colin asks, teasingly, from my right.

"Or a misstep she took on the dance floor?" Benedict says, from my left.

"I do wonder, Daphne, might we count on the duke at the Crawford ball?" Mama asks her.

"I should think it a fair chance." Daphne replies.

"What about the Ramsbury ball, Friday?" Mama questions again. "And what about the grand picnic?"

"We shall see, Mama." Daphne answers.

"How terrible for Fran that she'll be off practicing pianoforte with Aunt Winnie all season and miss Daphne's engagement to the duke." Hyacinth tells us.

"Did Francesca leave for Bath?" Gregory asks.

"How does a lady come to be with child?" Eloise asks, bursting through the doors, and I drop my book.

"Eloise, what a question!" Mama asks, as I awkwardly pick up my book.

"I thought one needed to be married." Eloise continues.

"What are you talking about?" Daphne asks.

"Apparently, it's not even a requirement." Eloise tells her.

"Eloise, that is more than enough." Mama scolds her, and she comes to sit down between Colin and I. "Daphne, you were playing so lovely. Please, do go on."

"I take it the three of you know?" Eloise says, patting mine and Colin's leg.

"Do not look at me." Benedict immediately responds.

"How would I know anything?" I as her, turning a page of my novel, trying to ignore the current topic.

"Have you ever visited a farm, El?" Colin starts to say, and I gasp.

"Colin!" I scold, as Benedict reaches behind us, and his him on the head.

"I hope you are not encouraging improper topics of conversation." Mama tells us.

"Not at all, Mother." Colin tells her, innocently. "In fact, we were just heading off to... take our sticks out."

I press my lips, to stop a laugh from escaping, and I pretended to be clueless.

"Colin Bridgerton!" Mama yells.

"A round of fencing." Colin clarifies, and him and Benedict walk off.

"WILL IT BE THE rubies or the pearls, miss?" Rose asks, as her and Ella walk into the room.

"The rubies for Diana." Mama tells them. "And the pearls for Daphne, of course."

"Mama, perhaps the rubies would better catch the eye of even more new suitors?" Daphne tells Mama, as Ella helps me put one pair of ruby earrings. "If I am not to put all my eggs in one basket." Daphne takes the other ruby earrings, and tries to put them on. "I must..." She drops one, and tries again. "Collect more... eggs."

"The duke truly has put your head in a spin." I tell her, with a laugh.

"More like Lord Berbrooke must spin far away." She replies.

"Good heavens. What is it, Mrs. Wilson?" Mama asks, Mrs. Wilson who entered the room, out of breath.

"The queen, ma'am." Mrs. Wilson says.

"Has she fallen ill?" Daphne asks.

"Has King George caused her harm?" Eloise adds.

"Her Majesty's royal stationery." Rose says.

"She has written to you, my lady." Mrs. Wilson tells Mama, who gasps.

"What does it say, Mama?" Hyacinth asks, as soon as the letter gets to Mama's hands.

"I am invited to a private tea with the queen in two days' time." Mama tells us, and turns to us. "Never mind the rubies, my girls. You both shall wear the family diamonds tonight."