VII. WINDOWS & LAWNS

EPISODE 3: ART OF THE SWOONCHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7. WINDOWS AND LAWNS

 WINDOWS AND LAWNS

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

"I DO BELIEVE THE Duke will propose to Daphne soon enough." I say, as Mister Barnes and I promenade along the lake. "Everyone believes she is in love."

"Do you not agree?" He questions me.

"At first, I was a little wary." I answer. "But now it seems, as if they were both made for each other."

"Do you believe in that sort of thing?" He asks, and I laugh.

"I believe, I never spared it much thought." I tell him, honestly.

"Then why did you say it?" He replies, smiling.

"It is a saying, Mister Barnes." I tell him, laughing. "You must not take everything so literal."

"I am not taking things literal, Miss Bridgerton." He tells me. "I just merely want to know, why would you use a saying you do not believe in."

"I never said, I do not believe in it." I reply, with a smile. "I only said, I do not know, if I believe in it."

He turns me, grinning, and sighs.

"It seems as though, you emerge victorious in this argument." He says.

"And, hopefully, Mister Barnes, I will continue to do so, in similar future arguments." I reply.

"I do promise you, Miss Bridgerton, I will not make it easy for you." He tells me.

"DAPHNE, DIANA, HAVE YOU thought about with whom you would like to dance at tonight's ball?" Mama asks.

"I have some ideas." I tell her, being as vague as possible.

"Lord Weaver is a fine dancer." Daphne tells us, as Benedict puts a pillow on my shoulder, and lays his head on it. I try to swat him away, because he was disturbing my writing, but he, in turn swats my hand away.

I sigh angrily, and he gives me a victorious smirk.

"Lord Hardy was asking about you at White's last night, Daphne." Anthony tells her.

"Lord Hardy?" Daphne asks, delighted, as she sits down next to Benedict.

"What about the Duke?" Mama asks her.

"The Duke has not proposed, Mama." Daphne tells her. "I am still considering my best course.

"Wise girl." Anthony interjects.

"And Lord Hardy is a fine option." Daphne tells him.

"I suppose, but is he not rather boastful." I ask her.

"My dears, why ever do you complicate matters so?" Mama asks us. "You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend."

"Is that it, Mama?" Daphne asks, sarcastically.

"Yes, how very simple indeed!" I add.

"Yes, quite." Mama tells us, nodding her head.

"DO YOU WISH TO ever leave London behind, Miss Bridgerton?" Mister Barnes asks me, as we dance.

"I suppose for travelling a little bit, but I would very much like to stay here in London, have a house with big window, and a large lawn." I answer.

"I do believe you hold a fascination for open spaces." He replies. "The lights in the garden, big windows, and lawn."

"And I would love to have a considerable sized balcony." I add, with a smirk.

"Should you also wish to not have a roof?" He asks, amused. "So that you could look at the stars as you fall asleep."

"I absolutely adore the idea." I joke. "But I do believe, it would be a rather horrendous mess during the rainy seasons."

Our conversation gets interrupted by mummers, and we turn to see The Queen, accompanied by the Prince of Prussia.

Every girl in the room, swoons, and gasps at him, as she walks over to talk to Miss Cowper.

"Do they all behave this way, in the presence on a Prince?" Mister Barnes asks, and I just laugh.

"This is rather controlled behavior." I tell him, smiling. "But I believe, some poor girl will faint, and His Royal Highness will save her from falling to the ground, making them fall in love ."

"That fainting part?" He asks me, horrified. "It is a trick?"

"Only the most transparent one." I tell him, with a laugh, but his face remains shocked. "Why do you look so shocked, Mister Barnes? Has someone tried to win your favor by doing that?"

"I believe, I have experienced it more often that you would think, Miss Bridgerton." He tells me, a smile finally breaking out on his face, but it is once again gone, as the Queen and the Prince walk near us. "I have the most wonderful time this evening, Miss Bridgerton." He says, hurriedly, and I look at him confused. "But, now, I'm afraid I must take my leave."

"What do you mean, Mister Barnes?" I ask, but he is already gone, leaving me standing there alone, confused.