XXIV. LOVE & FOREVER

EPISODE 7: OCEANS APARTCHAPTER 24

CHAPTER 24. LOVE AND FOREVER

"SEEMS WE HAVE BEEN blessed with some beginner's luck

"SEEMS WE HAVE BEEN blessed with some beginner's luck." Daphne tells the ladies, as we win again.

"Speak for yourself, Daph." I tell him, jokingly. "I am just that good."

"The game is not over yet, Your Majesty." Mrs. Langham tells me, smiling, as I return the gesture.

"I wonder, Mrs. Langham..." Daphne says.

"Kitty', please." Mrs. Langham cuts in, looking between Daphne and I. "Both of you have won so much of my money, it is only right."

"Kitty, then." Daphne starts again. "There is a soldier in service I am hoping to find for a friend. Do you think your husband might be able to assist me?"

"You will have to ask that of him yourself." Kitty replies. "He is so rarely at home."

"I am so sorry."

"Whatever for?" Kitty asks, laughing. "It is quite the ideal situation to live a separate life to one's husband. I am afforded all the freedoms of marriage while bearing none of the burden of his company."

"Well, what of your children?" Daphne asks her. "Do they not miss their father?"

"It's difficult to miss someone you've never known." Kitty replies, dismissively.

"You forget the Duchess is still in the first bloom of marriage." Lady Danbury cuts in. "And the Princess has only been married three days."

"Yes, the famous love matches." Kitty smiles. "Pay me no heed. The Prince's and the Duke's company, I am sure, is anything but a burden to you."

I give her a genuine smile, while Daphne gives her a nervous on, drinking from her glass.

"I can tell you where to write. My husband." Kitty tells Daphne. "Perhaps the general will grant you a response. It is not as if you are his wife."

"Princess, you win again!" Lady Danbury exclaims, smiling widely.

"Seeing how you entertain yourself, I rather think you the victor, Lady Danbury." I tell her.

"I rather think so too." Lady Danbury tells me. "Again."

We play another round, and Lady Danbury notices my untouched drink.

"Well, it is certainly the first time, I have ever seen you not drink when given the chance, Your Majesty." Lady Danbury tells me, smirking.

"I do not want to give the ton another thing to gossip about, when they find out I got drunk." I reply. "It is a miracle, they did not find out about the first time."

"One of the many perks of being married is, Your Majesty, that these indecencies, as you've been taught, are not indecencies anymore. People expect you to drink, to gamble, to not care." She tells me. "And, to be completely honest, I would very much like for you to loosed your tongue, and call me your favorite again, Your Majesty."

"I can say it sober." I tell her, smiling. "It feels peculiar to hear you call me Your Majesty, Lady Danbury." I tell her. "I quite liked it when you used to call me Miss Diana."

"Well, you are not Miss Diana anymore, are you, child?" Lady Danbury asks me. "You are Princess Diana, of the United Kingdom, now. And there is both respect and responsibilities attached to that tittle."

"But, what if, I am not able to bear those responsibilities?" I ask her, softly. "I am afraid that I will not be able to achieve the standard everyone has set for me."

"Dear child, of course you will." Lady Danbury tells me, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder. "If I didn't believe so, I would not have given the Prince the copy of the book you were reading, in the first place."

I shake my head, smiling at her, as I pick up the cup, taking a sip.

Dearest reader, a question. Is anything more exhilarating than taking a gamble? For it is often the highest risk that carries the greatest reward. Yet, wager wrongly, and you might find yourself left with nothing but regret. Of course, one can never know for sure whether a wager will make a fortune or ruin it, unless one chooses a more secure pursuit.

But as the season continues, the biggest gamblers have yet to truly show their hand... which leaves gossip in short supply in recent days. In fact, this author can think of no other event that merits a mention. It is worthy of note, however, that the Duke and Duchess of Hastings have yet to entertain callers together. Our newlyweds are no doubt still secluded in nuptial bliss. Who could fault them? And who could be surprised if their diligent efforts are rewarded with a new arrival within the year?

I WALK INTO THE house, taking off my shoes, and sighing at the relief it gave to my feet. I move towards the living room, and see Louis sitting on the sofa, with his back to me. I slowly move behind him, and wrap my arms around him.

"Ah, Diana." He gasps, surprised. "Oh, you scared me."

"Did you miss me terribly?" I tease him, as I walk over to sit beside him.

"I know you are just saying that to tease me, but yes." He tells me, pulling me on his lap, and I wrap my arms around him, again. "Yes, I did."

I smile, pulling him into a kiss, as we both enjoy the moment. But after a moment, I sigh, pulling away.

"What is wrong, Diana?" He asks me, softly, as he caresses my cheek.

"I met the married ladies of the ton today." I tell him.

"Is that a bad thing?" He questions, confused.

"No, it is not." I reply. "But, it was just the way they talked about their marriages, like they had no love in their live. They said they were happy to lead separate lives than their husbands."

"And, you are afraid, it could be us in a few years." He finishes for me, and I sigh.

"What if we do?" I ask him. "What makes us so different that all of the other people of the ton?"

He puts his hand softly on my chin, as he pulls me slightly forward, making me look into his eyes.

"The thing that makes us different, Diana, is love." He say, a small smile on his face. "It is the fact, that no matter what, we will not give up on each other, and I will always stand by you, and I know you will stand by me." His words make a smile come to my face. "I promise you, I will love you forever, darling."

I giggle, as I look at him, feeling happier then I've ever been, sitting in his arms.

"I will love you forever." I reply, smiling into, yet another kiss. "I'll stand by you, and you'll stand by me."

A/N

TO ALL THOSES WONDERING, NO, DIANA IS NOT PREGNANT JUST BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T WANT TO DRINK

THE NEXT CHAPTER, WILL BE THE FIRST CHAPTER FOR THE LAST EPISODE, I SERIOUSLY CAN'T BELIEVE THIS BOOK IS ABOUT TO END

HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOYED THE CHAPTER!