60 Ways to Say Goodbye - A Jo...

By doctorlocked10

John is devastated by his best friend and secret love, Sherlock's death. He copes by visiting his grave every... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Bonus - Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Two

21.2K 866 982
By doctorlocked10

Heyllooooooo Sherlockians and Johnlock shippers.

Tell me before Christmas what your favorite holiday song is! If it's one of my favorites (and I have many) you will get the chapter three dedicated to you! If its not one of my favorites, I still love you and you get bonus points for commenting.

And now, here is the second installment of 60 Ways

Thanks

~BB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Two

"Hello, Molly," I said entering the examination room. She was turned away, marking something on a clipboard.

She turned around and looked startled to see me.

"Oh, John," she dropped the clipboard and ran to me, crying. It wasn't something that I'd expected. During his life, we'd both competed for Sherlock's attention, whether we knew it or not. I'd never really gotten the chance to know her, and that's why I'd come here this evening.

Molly threw her arms around my neck and I awkwardly hugged her back.

"I'm sorry," she said, taking a step back.

"No, it's fine. I was just here to see of you'd like to come to dinner with me tonight," I told her.

She looked as if she was thinking for a moment.

"Not...not as a date, right?" She asked.

"No, of course not. Just as two people who have something in common," I said.

"Oh, what's that?" She raised an eyebrow.

"The loss of our dear friend," I said. Wasn't it obvious?

"Oh, yes. Of course," she nodded.

"So would you like to come?" I asked.

"Yes, that would be nice," she smiled weakly.

"Just come by after work is done, we'll go somewhere," I suggested.

"Thank you, John."

"Yep," I nodded and headed out the door.

~

On the way home, I stopped at a small flower stand and picked up yet another yellow rose. Yellow roses symbolized friendship. Though I'd admitted to myself that I loved Sherlock, I wasn't ready to admit that to...his ghost?

I took the short walk to the cemetary. It seemed more gloomy today than it had been yesterday. It was probably due to the fact that it was raining lightly, whereas yesterday, it had been as clear as it gets in London.

I walked back to the spot where Sherlock's grave rested.

As I got closer, I saw that the rose I had left yesterday was gone.

They probably collected them this morning I thought. Flowers can't just build up forever.

I left the yellow rose pressing against the tombstone and thought about yesterday when I had found the money.

Who had left it?

I felt a presence around me. It was probably just the wind. Maybe I was just being silly, but in a graveyard you can never be too careful. I turned in a circle, checking for someone or something that was watching me, but just as yesterday, I found nothing there.

I shrugged my shoulders and cleared my throat.

"Good day, Sherlock," I said as if he were standing right in front of me.

"Someone left me money to pay the rent yesterday. I'm not sure who...isn't that strange. I had a feeling it was you...but that's impossible," I chuckled half-heartedly.

"Life with you was always interesting. I suppose now I'll have to find a job," I scrunched up my face thinking about it.

"I wish you could talk back to me," I said," Not like you said much that made sense. I just want to hear you say...something. Anything," I said, feeling a tear slip down my face.

I looked down at my watch.

"Sorry for the brief visit, but it's not like you're listening anyway. Even if you're there...nevermind. I have to go meet Molly," I said, "I'll be back tomorrow."

I nodded my head once more before turning and leaving the cemetery.

~~~~

"Hi, Molly," I said, opening the door.

She stood on the steps in a big white parka-like coat and jeans dark washed jeans.

"Hi, John," she smiled sheepishly.

I stepped out into the cold and locked the door behind me.

"So where are we going?" She asked as we walked. It had been raining earlier, but the temperature had dropped several degrees, so it was snowing lightly now. It was a rare occurrence, but it was beautiful.

"There's a new Italian restaurant down near the Eye," I said.

"Oh, good," she commented.

We walked for a bit before Molly said, "This is going to be quite a lot of walking. Would you like to catch a cab?"

"Oh, sorry. With..." I cleared my throat," with Sherlock there was always a lot of traveling by foot...I'm just sort of used to it."

Molly's face grew sad,"John, if you want to walk it's okay."

"Would you mind?" I asked. She shook her head no.

I looked up at the sky and watched as the snowflakes fell down upon us.

"So, what are you doing for Christmas this year?" Molly asked me. Christmas was in a week, but I hadn't given much thought to it.

"I don't know," I admitted, "I suppose I'll be with Mrs. Hudson. How about you?"

"I've got my mum, I suppose," she said.

"How about your dad?" I asked her.

"Oh, dad's dead. Died a few years ago," she told me. Molly and I had known each other for a while, but had never talked much.

"Oh...I'm sorry," I apologized for my insensitivity.

"It's fine," she said, "I wasn't that close to him."

She seemed okay with it, but to avoid any other touchy subjects, I remained quiet for the rest of the walk.

We finally made it to the restaurant, which was called Benissimo.

"Well...it's definitely Italian," Molly commented looking at the name. I fake-chuckled. Why had I thought this was a good idea?

We walked through the door.

The hostess asked "Two?"

I nodded and she grabbed two menus from under her podium.

She led us to our table and said "Hold on a minute. I'll get you a candle. Very romantic."

"Oh, no we're not together," Molly said, but the hostess didn't hear.

Just like the first time I went to dinner with Sherlock, I thought, feeling the tears well up in my eyes.

"Are you okay, John?" Molly asked me.

I nodded, but my eyes contradicted me, as a few tears roll down my cheek. I felt Molly pat me on the back. I knew that she thought of me as being this strong, iron-hearted person, but I couldn't keep up that act al the time.

I forced myself to stop and sat up.

"I'm really sorry, Molly," I said for the second time tonight.

"No...it's fine. I understand," she looked as if she wanted to tell me something, but kept her mouth shut.

We ordered our food.

"You know, I really miss him too," Molly said sadly," He was so strange and said the worst things, as I've said before...but he was wonderful."

I nodded, "He was wasn't he? And completely brilliant."

"Of course. There's no way he could have made all of that up, right?" She asked.

"No, Molly," I said, "He was 100% real."

We ate dinner in silence, but there was nothing awkward about it. To be honest, it was just nice to have the company of someone else.

I paid for our meal with the little money I had.

"Let me walk you home," I offered.

"Alright, thank you," Molly said.

Her flat wasn't very far from here, so it took little time before we were standing in front of her door.

"It was good having company tonight. Thank you, John," she thanked me.

"You're welcome," I said," Well, I'll be going then."

I turned to leave, but Molly stopped me.

"John, wait," she said.

I turned back around, wondering what she needed. I felt Molly's warm lips press against mine.

I shook away as fast as I could.

I looked into her disappointed eyes.

"I'm sorry, I can't," I apologized, "Goodnight, Molly."

I gave her a small kiss on the cheek and turned away before she could see the tears in my eyes.

Continue Reading