Inverted (a Neil / Tenet fanf...

By lostgirlriddle1926

š˜—š˜³š˜°š˜Øš˜³š˜¦š˜“š˜“ š˜Ŗš˜“ š˜®š˜¢š˜¬š˜Ŗš˜Æš˜Ø š˜µš˜©š˜¦ š˜øš˜°š˜³š˜­š˜„ š˜§š˜¢š˜¤š˜¦ š˜Æš˜¦š˜ø š˜µš˜¦š˜¤š˜©š˜Æš˜°š˜­š˜°š˜Øš˜Ŗš˜¦š˜“ š˜µš˜©š˜¢š˜µ š˜¤š˜¢š˜Æ... More

Intro, cast & playlist
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Last Author's Notes

Chapter 16

311 9 6
By lostgirlriddle1926

January 2020

The holidays in paradise couldn't last forever.
They had celebrated Christmas and welcome the New Year together, although every single day seemed a celebration.
A celebration of their love.
Crystal went back to Berlin, still drunk of the happiness she experienced with Neil.
But grateful for that priceless present, she also felt more motivated to help The Protagonist, who insisted on strictly scheduled trainings with inversion and the temporal pincer movement.

Crystal was reading some unpleasant news about a new virus spreading in China, when she raised her head to see Neil wearing a deep frown too.
She dropped the newspaper on the bed and welcomed him to sit next to her.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked after hesitating for a while, with a folder in his hands.

"Tell me" she encouraged him.

"Would you sign these papers? So you can become co owner of my house in LA?" he placed the folder on her lap.

"Co owner?" she repeated trying to understand what he meant "Is something wrong? Do you need a loan?".

"No" he smiled caressing her face to try to wipe her worry from her expression "I just want to get rid of a worry. If something happens to me, I want to be sure that what I have will be lawfully yours".

If something happens to me.
Her mind abhored that allusion.
What she had in mind was more than just some expensive properties.
She didn't care about money and owning big houses.
But she felt that it was meaningful for him, so she avoided arguing and agreed.
Maybe it was just the first step to another more meaningful one.

The Protagonist summoned the couple after few days, announcing a new big mission for the following weeks.

"You'll work with my younger self, who still knows very little about Tenet" he revealed to Neil, who peered at him trying to digest all the details that the boss was sharing.

"So this is how you always had an advantage through all these years. At every stage, you've known more than you should".

The older man eyed him smugly, then turned to focus on the young woman.
"What do you know about Stalsk 12?".

"The camp in Russia?" she asked surprised to hear that name "It's a secret location for underground nuclear testing. How do you know about it?".

"I'm surprised that you know" he countered "It's also Sator's birth town".

"That explains why he's so heartless. Why Stalsk?" Neil asked.

"It's one of the locations for our mission. So keep it in mind".

"I'm starting to despise this office work" Crystal commented after The Protagonist, after he revealed that Neil was joining actively the missions while she had to stay on the background with the boss.

"I know, but this mission is very important. It's the basis of Tenet" the older man replied sternly "Every single detail must be accurate and perfect. Or we'll face the end of the world".

Neil simpered "I like when you use those famous words to impress us. That new virus is the end of the world, isn't it?".

"No. It has nothing to do with us" the older man cut off.

"But what if the Russians made a deal with the Chinese to create it and...".

"Enough! Neil, please, this is not a joke" The Protagonist exclaimed on the verge of losing his temper.

"Sorry, sir" Neil said blankly.

"This is a goodbye, Neil".

The younger man dropped his jaw "What? Are you kidding me?".

"I mean it" The Protagonist said sternly "You have to lead a younger me to the right way, so all we lived together will be real and together we can save the world".

He turned to the woman again "Crystal, I need your help with cryptography. If Neil is good at unlocking doors, you are good at creating codes so we can communicate without being detected by our enemies, your former leaders. You will work with me in the backstage".

"So why would it be a goodbye? We can still keep in touch through calls or through her" Neil intervened upset.

"She will lead the whole mission following my instruction. And you'll have to obey her".

"You just nominated Wheeler as Captain and Ives as Sergeant...".

"While you are just Neil" the boss concluded for him "You will be interacting with an ignorant younger me, so we won't be able to meet again. You'll have to earn my trust and manipulate me to do what I tell that must be done. This is Tenet".

"A whole mess?" Neil translated.

"Sator, Arepo, the Opera, The Rotas, inversion, posterity. All of this. And we are in the middle of this now" The Protagonist pressed his pointing finger on the desk.

"Don't tell me you came from the future and traveled backwards so many years, knowing everything" Neil said sarcastically "How old would you be now, without the inversion side effects?".

"It doesn't matter. We all deserve to decide how to live our lives, Neil" The Protagonist stood up, imitated by the agents "No friends at dusk".

"Well, it will be very awkward to meet you, younger and less omniscient. But I don't want to miss it" Neil commented eyeing his friend with some amusement, then walked to the door.

"Neil!" the boss called him hesitantly "Before you go, I want to thank you. I'll see you at the beginning, friend".

Crystal looked between the two of them. Also Neil was speechless and replied with just a respectful nod.
The Protagonist never looked so emotional like in that goodbye.

Back to her flat, Crystal looked for details on the Russian location that her boss mentioned, then was tempted to seek for news on her past agency.
She didn't want to look for it, instead her curiosity won and she checked the Rosatom public information.
When she got confirmed that Sam was dead, she turned off the PC, deeply upset.

She didn't like how that year started.
Everyone was dying or saying goodbye.
Suddenly she recalled some words of The Korol.

February 2.

It was less than in a month.
The Protagonist or Neil had to die.
He was so certain, like he already lived it.
Posterity.

The sound of the door being opened saved her from being overwhelmed by her emotions.

Neil saw his anxiety being reflected on her face and talked nervously "I'm very shocked too. I can't believe it's our last mission. But it should be fun to start working with the younger Protagonist. I think I need a little practice. How would you react if I try to approach you but you don't have a clue on who I am and what are my intentions?".

"I would glare at you and run away".

Neil didn't expect it and gaped at her "Seriously? Didn't you tell me that when we first met you already wanted to make out with me in that lift?".

"That's the point" she reasoned "You didn't try to approach me then".

He pondered his options and sighed "Then I'll have to avoid that. I'll be just a random tourist who happens to sit next to him".

"That's better" she encouraged him "But don't you start in Kiev? Where it's crucial that you don't reveal yourself to the young Protagonist".
She searched through the papers where she noted all the details that their boss anticipated to them.

"Yes, I'll be with the American team" Neil recalled "It's strange that all I have to do is intervening in his mission only to save his life".

"He wants me to instruct you step by step so you will do it with the perfect timing. Just get out of that explosion alive".

Neil replied to her heavy stare with a shrug "If he has other phases for me in the missions, it means I will succeed".

"Yes, but that's not an excuse to be careless" she warned.

"You're too tense" he complained and joined her on the bed, pushing the papers and the devices away to gain her full attention "If we are going to be separated for weeks, I don't want to waste any second with you on worries and fears. The future can wait. While if we lose the present, it with be gone forever".

"What a terrible poet you are" she said unable to stifle a laugh.

"And you should be The Queen. I hear too many titles lately" he pulled her on his lap, admiring her face.

"I'm fine with being just your Queen" she corrected him, allowing themselves to forget about everything except their passion.

When the day of his departure came, Crystal didn't feel ready to let him join a series of dangerous mission around the world.

"I wish I can come with you" she complained, watching his military clothes.

"You stay away from Kiev" Neil waved a warning finger at her "I don't want you to go back there for anything in the world".

"I would. For you" she insisted, then focused on his backpack and kissed the talisman "It brought you luck so far. Never lose it".

"Never" he promised and pulled her into a long goodbye kiss.

On th 14th January, Crystal and The Protagonist were far away from Kiev, but all their thoughts gathered on that place.
According to the boss, on that day Andrei Sator attacked the Opera House in Kiev to steal a section of the algorithm from the American team of Tenet.

When finally the phone rang, Crystal hurried to take the call.

"Neil?" she called, hearing a panting breathing on the other side.

"Hi, Crys. It's done" Neil said tiredly.

"How did it go?".

"Like The Protagonist wanted. Sator got the piece. Where are you now?".

"I'm not allowed to tell. Did you invert?".

"Yeah. We needed to study the scene to intervene properly. Also the young boss should be fine by now".

"Good. Your next stop is India. You already have a booked flight".

"India" he repeated without much enthusiasm "Do we play with Priya right?".

"Right" she confirmed simply.

"I miss you" he said, guessing what made her so speechless.

"I miss you more".

He scoffed "That's impossible".

She chuckled "As you wish. Now take that flight and take some rest. We'll keep in touch before the next phase of the mission".

"Agreed. I love you, Crys".

"I love you too" Crystal held the phone to her ear even after the call ended, unable to suppress her dreamy smile.
She turned noticing that The Protagonist was silently watching her, so she cleared her throat and hurried to report about the mission.

They traveled again while monitoring the situation in Mumbai.
After many hours of traveling, Crystal finally enjoyed a shower in a hotel.
Tormented by some doubts, she checked the news, until she noticed a short mention about an explosion in Siberia.
So many explosions in just one day.
Her phone ringing distracted her and she ran to pick the call.

"Bad timing" she said, irritated that Neil decided to video call.
His big face grinned at the sight of her bathrobe "I'd say it's perfect. Can you show me a little more?".

She pulled her phone closer to her face to cover the view "Come back here and I will".

"Back where?" he teased.

"Try to find out" she peered at his not fully healthy look "Are you drunk?".

"I'm bored, so I tasted one glass...or twice" he said vaguely "They can't make some proper vodka tonic like you do".

"Of course, because I do it" she cut off "Go easy with drinking. You have to be at the Bombay Yacht Club in less than an hour. Get ready".

Neil rolled his eyes "It's going to be a tough day if then I'll go inverted bumge jumping with our young boss. Can you comfort me a little?".

Althought it wasn't easy, she resisted to his doe eyes "This is what I am doing right now. But that's not enough to offer you a show".

"Got it" he extended his arm to let her see his outfit "How do I look like?".

"Like a drunk businessman" she replied with a dose of disapproval.

He chuckled and focused on his face again "Wish me good luck".

"Good luck, Neil" she pressed her lips on the camera "And please, behave. We'll wait to hear your report about this phase of the mission. Call me again when you're finished with Priya".

"If I'll be still alive, I'll surely will" he joked "Enjoy some sleeping. I deduce from your tired eyes that it's nighttime wherever you are now. Goodnight".

She didn't deny it "Thanks. I'll see you later".

It wasn't easy to fall asleep when she was tormented by her questions about what was doing Neil on the other side of the world.
But her boss's promise motivated her enough to be positive.
Some hours later she packed again and took another flight with The Protagonist, that brought them to India.
In the meanwhile Neil called to report another successful mission and was happy to get some days of truce.

When the plane landed, The Protagonist dismissed her, letting her free to take a break too.
Crystal took a boat to reach Mumbai and paid a visit to her new luxurious room in the hotel, before taking a walk in the open air, close to the locations where Neil worked on his last mission.

In that hot hour of the day, the roads were crowded.
She wondered in a square and adjusted her sunglasses, diving in the crowd until she spotted some familiar blonde hair.
She crossed her arms on her chest to resist to the need to run to hug him, and observed him in silence.
Neil stopped when he finally noticed the figure staring at him.

Crystal slightly shook her head as he approached her like he was chasing a vision "Didn't I tell you not to drink too much?".

"If drinking gives me this kind of celestial visions, then I'll just drink even more".

She removed her sunglasses to let him see her scowl, then cut the distance to wrap her arms around his neck.

"I've missed you" he said relaxing in her embrace "Hey, you didn't touch our boss, right? Or we risk to annihilate him".

She rolled her eyes "I took a shower before leaving and I didn't touch him since then. Just like you did, I assume".

"How did you guess? Don't I smell like an alcoholic?".

"Yes. But I smell also soap" she tapped her nose.

He embraced her again to inhale deeply, then let her go and wore sunglasses too.

"The sun shines so brighly only for you" he beamed and took a walk with her "So how is Mumbai so far for you?"

"Boring, before I met you" she confessed "What about you? You sounded very excited when you said about your first real mission with young Protagonist".

He sighed "He's so diffident. I guess you would compare him to the way I treated you when we first met. And being slightly drunk helped me not to appear too tense and suspect".

"Yeah, he says it's fine" she said disapproving "But avoid doing that in the next phases. From the few things he spoiled, it seems it will just get harder and more dangerous for both you and his younger self".

"Agreed. But don't I have few days free now?".

"Yes, before the Oslo chapter. That's why I joined you here".

Neil pulled her closer driven by his enthusiasm "The best reward".

She halted and pulled him away when she noticed some tourists taking selfies that risked to catch them too.
"Can you imagine if you're allowed to share pictures of your day on social media like common people do, how many interesting things you have to brag about?".

"I don't like to brag in front of the world. Only with you".

She chuckled at his smug grin "Of course".

"Did you already book a room somewhere by the way?".

"Yes. I left my bags there, in that hotel" she pointed at the big building towering the road "The Taj Mahal".

He looked surprised, then laughed "In my room?".

"No. Another one".

"As usual. Come, let's sit there" he pointed at some benches hidden from the direct sunlight.

"I have something for you" he picked up a small box and offered it at her.

She froze, trying to guess what it could mean.
What if it was an engagement ring? She didn't feel ready. Yet she hoped.

"It's not hard to open it" he joked, noticing her hesitation.

She chuckled nervously and opened it, but it didn't contain a ring. It was a holed coin.
It was a real coin with a hole, it wasn't shot.

"Piece, India, 1945" she read the inscription "I didn't know about this".

He grinned "When I saw it, I couldn't leave without taking it. It can't replace the one you lost. But I hope it can be valuable as well, if I'm the one to give it to you".

She threw her arms at him to hug him "It is. Thank you".

"I also found the matching thread" he showed it and added it to the coin, then grabbed her wrist and tied her new bracelet.

"It's perfect" she hugged him again and kissed his cheek "I love you".

"I love you too. Will you enjoy dinner with me?" he asked standing up and taking her hand.

"Sure" she replied like it was obvious, just like the fact that she could follow him to the end of the world.

The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, Mumbai

They went to their hotel, where they already had a booked dinner.

"When I saw that this place has areas called Crystal..." Neil sighed dreamily "I felt home".

"Thank our boss for the choice. He knows your tastes" she grinned and read from the brochures "Three lavish Crystal rooms. But there are also the Ruby, the Emerald and the Sapphire room. Which would you take?".

"I'm fine with the Crystal, thanks" he said dismissively.

"I'd try the Sapphire one".

He frowned "I thought red was your favourite colour".

"Or maybe it's blue" she enjoyed the doubt in his eyes "Or green. I don't stick to one colour or one gem. It depends on my mood".

"I stick with Crystal and nothing can change that" he affirmed resolute "And I need this time with you to feel ready to the next phase. I am moving from the hot India to the freezing Oslo".

Oslo, Crystal repeated in her mind, and all the bittersweet memories linked to that place.
"Do you need some shopping?".

"No, I already have packed all I need. Will you meet me also there?".

She wished not to waste that light in his hoping eyes, but she had her wrists tied "I can't. Your next days are quite busy and our boss says that his younger self must know nothing about me".

Neil sighed, pursing his lips "Got it".

"I'll call you when it will be safe" she promised, but it didn't seem enough to comfort him "Or do you want to run away? We are not so far from Maldives".

He grinned looking towards the seaside "I wish. But the world needs us, right? We can't run away and survive".

"Right" she confirmed, hating the weight of their duties.

"Do you want something more to eat or drink?".

"No, I'm finished".

"So let's take a walk?".

She agreed and they went exploring the many rooms and corridors of that large palace.

"This hotel has a ballroom" he recalled and checked some maps to orientate in the building, then forced a door.

"It's empty" she commented seeing the dim lights illuminating the large room "Is it already this late?".

"It's all ours" he corrected her, pulling her closer to dance casually.

"I had all and then most of you
Some and now none of you
Take me back to the night we met"
he sang softly, then turned at her grinning face "Do you know it?".

"Yeah, it's nostalgic" she commented with a feebly smile.

"I do feel nostalgic when you're away" he murmured letting her go.

"I'm not away now" she pointed out, watching him tapping on his phone to find the song and put it as background music.

He winked at her offering her a hand.
She giggled and took it, moving closer to him to improvise that dance.

"I am not the only traveler
Who has not repaid his debt
I've been searching for a trail to follow again
Take me back to the night we met"

Crystal thought back to all the travels she needed to take to finally find Neil.
She had been through hell, but thanks to him she felt a better person. She found redemption.

And then I can tell myself
What the hell I'm supposed to do
And then I can tell myself
Not to ride along with you
I had all and then most of you
Some and now none of you
Take me back to the night we met

She shivered at those words. She didn't want to go back to the beginning, as once she did. But thanks to their job, it was possible for them.
Just like The Protagonist inverted himself to shape history, knowing how things were going to go.
Like there was no free will.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do
Haunted by the ghost of you
Oh, take me back to the night we met

When the night was full of terrors
And your eyes were filled with tears
When you had not touched me yet
Oh, take me back to the night we met

I had all and then most of you
Some and now none of you
Take me back to the night we met

I don't know what I'm supposed to do
Haunted by the ghost of you
Take me back to the night we met

"Will you stay with me tonight?" he asked in a hot whisper in her ear, distracting her from the thoughts that were giving her goosebumps.

"If you want me to, yes" she murmured, dazed by his closiness.

"Be careful because I want you always" he warned smirking at her "What about tomorrow?".

"Yes, I can stay also tomorrow" she announced.

"Perfect" he took her hand and led her to his room on one of the highest floors, where the views from the windows were stunning.

"Nights can be very cold when you're not here with me" he commented when they enjoyed their bliss, a proper reunion.

"I agree" she murmured pressing her lips on his shoulder "But it's nice sleeping if it means that I can meet you again in dreams".

"Did you dream of me?".

She chuckled at his smug face "Yeah. But having you here for real is far more better".

"Are you sure? Because if the Neil of your dreams can be better, then I want to learn from him".

She scoffed shaking her head "What about you? Did you have quiet nights?".

"Lonely and boring. But yes, I slept all the time and honestly I can't remember if I had some dreams".

"No more nightmares?" she asked before she could think twice.

"Not that I can recall".

She hesitated, with her dancing fingers on his chest "You never told me what you dreamed of that time when I caught you having a nightmare".
She felt him turning rigid at that unexpected mention.

"I don't remember".

"Or you don't want to tell me?" she countered.

"It was just a nightmare, right?".

"Yeah, but I want you to fight all your fears and share then with me. You don't trust me enough?".

He didn't look persuaded "I want to forget it".

"That's not how to defeat a fear. This way just makes it stronger" she touched his face to see into his sorrowful eyes.

"It's about inversion" he murmured when he felt ready "We were practicing with it. But something went wrong. And... I don't want to lose you, Crystal".

She saw the urge in his request and moved closer to him to comfort him "You'll never lose me. Not if you'll let me stay here" her hand pressed on his chest, on his heart "I'm not even joining the inversion missions".

"Yeah, luckily" he took her hand and kissed it strongly "I can't breathe when I worry that something can go wrong and I risk to lose you again".

"It's my turn to worry" she recalled "That's why I ask you to be very careful in your missions. I want to see you coming back every time".

"What can keep me away from you?".

She mirrored his smile and softly kissed him goodnight "Now let's sleep. I don't want to leave tomorrow without properly saying bye because you're barely awake".

He chuckled and held her close, until they both fell asleep.

"Where do we go today?" she asked entwining her fingers with his as they left his room.

"The real Taj Mahal?".

"That's too far. We add it to our wish list for our next holidays".

Neil pulled her to an empty elevator and pressed ground floor.
When the doors closed, he grinned mischievously and turned at her, surprising her with a long kiss.

When the elevator stopped, he pressed the button again, letting out a group of tourists who were waiting on the other side.

"What are you doing?" she exclaimed bewildered, still dizzy for that surprise kiss.

He leaned against her again to resume the kiss "I want to enjoy it a little longer. Or maybe I can make it stop...".

He turned to check the buttons, but she pulled him away and grabbed his face "We can make our time be enough".

She kissed him passionately and when the doors opened again, she didn't mind if other people saw them and reacted with disapproval.
They allowed the people join the ride.

"It was worthy" she commented, still incredulous that it happened.

"Definitely" he confirmed adjust9 his messy hair "I hope it made me forgiven for my impolite behavior when we first met".

She smiled at the memory, then felt quite confused "Why now? It's like a goodbye?".
She froze reminding the nostalgic song, how anytime she faced an ending she had to remember the beginning.

"No" he said with a cheeky grin "I just thought that you would enjoy seeing one of your fantasies becoming real. I wanted it to be memorable".

"You certainly succeeded" she condeded.

They wandered in the city to see the main tourist attractions, then stopped in a park.

"Why don't we find some ice cream? You can't afford some when you'll be back to Europe, unless you are used to eat ice cream also in the middle of winter".

"If you want some, I think I saw some shop on the other side of the road..." he said distracted.

"As you wish. Or if you other suggestions, do tell".

"Hmm, alright. You tell me. How you prefer".

"Neil?" she called noticing that he was becoming clumsy.

"Don't look at me like that" he begged with an awkward smile "I'm fine. But if I can steal you a moment".

"For what? Taking pictures?".

"No, ehm... God, I'm messing it all" he left her hand and she noticed that he was swearing.
It wasn't good if he needed to invoke God.

"All what?".

Neil cleared her throat and stepped in front of her, kneeling.
He grabbed her hand staring into her confused eyes.
"I hope this is not an inappropriate moment, but will you marry me, Crystal?".

Her jaw dropped.

In front of her shock, he tried to get out of the awkward situation.
"Oh, and I also have this for you" he patted his pocket and pulled out another small box, offering it at her.

With trembling fingers she opened it, unveiling a small, but expensive engagement ring.

Neil stood up brushing a hand on the back of his head, nervously "I guess I mistook some of the steps and maybe I should be still kneeling...".

She nodded, then threw her arms at him to hug him, squeezing the box in her palm.
"I'm speechless. I don't know what to say".

"Just say yes... or no... to my question. And it will be alright".

"Yes" she said quickly "I didn't expect this, but yes, of course, I will marry you".

"That's all I needed to hear" he pressed his lips on hers, sealing the vow.

She kissed him back, overwhelmed by her emotions.

"At least you should be free to wear it" he said placing the ring on her finger.

"Should I get a ring for you too now?" she didn't know much how that kind of stuff worked.

"I already have it" he showed her talisman "You already sort of engaged me months ago".

She laughed emotionally and kissed him again.

"So where were we? You wanted some ice cream?" Neil recalled when they both needed to catch their breath.

"Never mind. Let's go back to the hotel. We don't have many hours left" she said impatiently, entwining her fingers with his and seeing how her ring crowned that union.

A/N

How can you say no to this man? 💍

We are running toward the end 🎯

But probably also you wish to stay stuck in an elevator with Neil forever 💎

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7M 252K 34
**The No 1 fantasy romance by award-winning novelist and scriptwriter Gytha Lodge, author of The Fragile Tower series** What if you had a power you c...
1.2M 70.9K 39
This is Book 3 in the Light as a Feather series. Book 1: Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board (available on Amazon & iTunes) Book 2: Light as a Feath...
137K 13K 100
A murder mystery in space, a frontier marshal investigating and a young girl who is the key to it all. Highest rating in sci-fi: #2!
11.2M 483K 65
After moving to London with her best friend, the last thing Elle expects is to fall for a celebrity - though it may be more trouble than it's worth. ...