happy place || jj maybank ON...

De cowboylike_me

after she lost everything, she returned to the one place she knew she would be happy. the outer banks, parad... Mais

introduction
welcome!
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter thirteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four

chapter fourteen

382 5 0
De cowboylike_me

A/N

- I'm trying to develop Vienna and John B's relationship a little more.

- Vienna and JJ's relationship will develop very differently. They're both very damaged people so loving doesn't come easy to either of them. The relationship will take a while to grow & have a lot of bumps.

- lastly, whenever I have Vienna sing / perform a song imagine it acoustic! If I can find a video for it I'll put it in :)

_____

JJ's hand never leaves mine the entirety of the car ride. I try to ignore the noises my stomach is making, knowing I've been neglecting eating for the past few days. After what has happened I haven't had much if an appetite.

"Stealing drones makes you hungry" Kie jokes as John puts the van into park in the lot of The Wreck.

JJ squeezes my hand three times, then lets go, making his way out of the door, "What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now."

"It would not be pretty" Pope jokes.

As Pope and JJ exit out of the right side of the van, I leave out of the left. As I shut the door John pulls me into a hug.

"Somethings off with you, V. You don't have to tell me, but I want you to know I love you." I hug him back.

"I know you do, and I love you more, John."

He pulls out of the hug, kissing my forehead, and muttering "impossible." He moves so that now one arm rests around my shoulders as we walk into the restaurant. "Remember what I told you."

I look up at him confused, "about what?"

He holds the door open for me and ushers me inside before speaking, "performing!"

I had been thinking about that, I just would never admit it to him. I poured my heart into my songs, they were so vulnerable which is something I rarely allowed myself to be. I was hesitant to perform them because they were my emotional side, a side that made me feel weak.

I spaced out, drowning myself in my own thoughts as we stood in the corner of the restaurant. Soon I felt a hand on my lower back leading me to a table. I flinch away at the touch, a touch that reminded me of the way Rafe would touch me. I looked to see that the hand belonged to JJ. A flash of hurt and worry flushed through his face as he realized why I flinched. Instead, he pointed to a table where the group was sitting. I returned a small smile to him, making my way toward where Kie and Pope sat.

"Talked to Mr. C," John announced, running back over to us, "he said you should perform!"

"John — I don't - I'm not ready- I don't even have a guitar or- or my music or anything—I-I can't—" I rambled as he pushed me away form the table and toward a small stage tucked in the back corner of the restaurant.

He sat me down on a stool that had a microphone in front of it and a guitar resting against it, which he handed me.

"V," he sighed out, putting his hands on my shoulders, "don't over think it. You'll do amazing, I know it. There's barely anyone in here!"

I looked around the restaurant. There were three other couples scattered across the building. Otherwise, the only people were us and staff.

I sighed, "fine. One song." I agreed. "Most of my music is sad, though."

"Doesn't matter! It's a chill vibe anyway." He shrugged. "I love you. You'll do great." He said, kissing my forehead and going to sit back with JJ, Kie, and Pope.

"Hey everyone," I announced awkwardly into the mic. Everyone turned to me. I cleared my throat before speaking up again, hoping to sound more confident. "I'm Vienna, I write music sometimes and I've been asked to sing some for you guys tonight. Hope you enjoy." I smiled before picking the guitar up. I sigh out my nerves and shut my eyes, pretending I'm alone.

"Please, picture me in the trees.
I hit my peak at seven.
Feet in the swing over the creek,
I was too scared to jump in.
But I, I was high in the sky,
With Pennsylvania under me.
Are there still beautiful things?"

I opened my eyes but couldn't bring myself to look into the crowd, I kept my eyes trained on the guitar, cringing at the missing piano part to this song. It didn't sound right, but I couldn't stop.

"Sweet tea in the summer,
Cross your heart, won't tell no other.
And though I can't recall your face,
I still got love for you.
Your braids make a pattern.
Love you to the Moon and to Saturn.
Passed down like folk songs,
The love lasts so long"

I find myself looking up to John, who's smiling at me. I figure he knows it's about him. 'Love you to the moon and to saturn' was our saying growing up. My mother always said it to us, and we adopted it as our thing.

"And I've been meaning to tell you,
I think your house is haunted.
Your dad is always mad and that must be why
I think you should come live with me,
And we can be pirates.
Then you won't have to cry."

I smile at John as I sing, thinking back to our old memories. He smiles back, giving me a thumbs up and mouthing 'I'm proud' as I continue.

"Please, picture me in the weeds.
Before I learned civility.
I used to scream ferociously,
Any time I wanted."

"Sweet tea in the summer,
Cross your heart, won't tell no other.
And though I can't recall your face,
I still got love for you.
Pack my dolls and a sweater.
We'll move to India forever.
Passed down like folk songs,
The love lasts so long."

As soon as I stop the music I feel my face flush with embarrassment, but when soft claps erupt over the restaurant, I feel better. I smile a little to myself and set the guitar down, going back to the group. John engulfs me in a quick hug.

"So how many of your songs are about me?" John jokes.

I roll my eyes at the boy's joke and settle in the seat between John and JJ, taking one of JJ's fries and throwing it towards John.

"I'm joking, V. That was amazing. I told you that you should perform more."

"Thanks, John." I laugh a little, feeling awkward.

Pope, Kie and JJ all give me words of encouragement as well, before food is sat in front of us, which they all start inhaling.

JJ puts his hand on my thigh lightly, I flinch away a little, but hold his hand on me when he goes to take it away. I don't like that I keep flinching from his touch, JJ hasn't done anything to hurt me.

"Please eat, V. I know you haven't been. I could hear your stomach the whole way here." He speaks quietly, only loud enough for the two of us to hear.

"I'm just not that hungry." I shrug. It wasn't really a lie. I was hungry, but I didn't have an appetite.

He pushes his side order of fries toward me, "just eat a few of those, okay?" He asks, patting his hand on my thigh.

I nod and give him a tight lipped smile, and start eating some fries.

The boys start messing around as we eat. John throws fries at JJ and JJ continuously tries to catch them in his mouth, but always fails, causing me to laugh at him.

JJ puts his feet up, resting them on my lap. I knock them off so he moves them to the table. Kie soon reprimands him.

Kiara connects her phone to the speakers inside the restaurant and starts playing music. I smile and look around at my friends, happy to be part of their group.

"Have the rest of my burger." JJ says, pushing it toward me. I smile, not wanting to tell him no and take a small bite.

Kie and John start dancing together in the middle of the room. Most of the other couples that were eating here have now left, leaving only us five and some staff.

I smile and watch as the pair dance, happy for John. I find my smile fade when I see the look on Pope's face. It's obvious he has feelings for the girl and it makes me upset to think he feels second to the other boys.

"Dance with me, Pope!" I say, making my way over to him.

He chuckles, "JJ would kill me. Plus there's only one person I want to dance with."

"Trust me, I understand." I sigh, speaking under my breath, trying to ignore the comment about JJ. As much as I wanted there to be something, I didn't think there was. JJ was like a brother to John, and I'm sure John already told JJ if he tries anything with me he'll kill him. I value John and I's relationship above anything else, I would never jeopardize it for someone who could very well be temporary.

"You and JJ then, huh?"

"No, there's nothing there." I speak truthfully. "He sees me as a friend."

"I don't think that's true, V."

"I don't know, Pope." I shake my head, "it's for the best I think. I'm a broken person and I break people around me. Relationships just aren't my thing." I shrug.

He stares at me for a while, probably not knowing how to respond. I have a habit of either never opening up or over sharing and making people uncomfortable. I let my face flush with embarrassment before Pope starts speaking again, "You know, I'm happy you decided to open up to us." He smiles down at me, "John B said you wouldn't. He pretty much told us to be cordial with you but not expect to get close. I'm really happy you've decided to let us all in a little." I let my embarrassment fade as he speaks, happy that he feels this way.

I smile as he pulls me into a side hug, "It wasn't hard. It felt natural, like I'd already known you three for years. If John trusts you all then so do I. And it's nice to have people I can trust, I haven't had that for so long."

Pope and I continue our conversation and bond for a while longer. I'm happy I was able to distract him from the situation with Kiara. I knew her and John were nothing but friends, but I felt bad for Pope.

Kiara shut John down because of the rules, so now Pope feels like any chance he had is gone. I try my best to make him feel better, as well as promise him I'll help him get her in any way I can.

_____

I wake up the next morning in the guest bedroom at John's. We got back late last night and I pretty much collapsed the second I saw the bed.

When I make my way into the living area I notice they're all still asleep. I slip back into the guest room and pull on a bikini, deciding to take some free time to tan. Since no one else is up I decide to put on the smaller of the two bikinis I have here, not wanting obnoxious tan lines. I grab a big t shirt so I can throw it over myself when the rest of the group gets up.

I make my way out onto the dock and lay on the flat part on the back of the boat, letting the sun kiss my skin.

The warmth makes me instantly drowsy, and I find myself drifting back off to sleep.

I was woken up not much later by the other four making their way out onto the dock. The rest of the day was spent figuring the drone out.

Actually it was an ROV, whatever that meant, but Pope corrected JJ on it several times so I quickly learned the correct terminology for the thing.

Everyone else had left the Chateau, leaving John and I alone. Kie and Pope had work and JJ decided to help Pope out today.

John and I decided to go over our fathers notes together, attempting to piece together anything that seemed helpful.

"It's your turn!" A girl spoke, approaching John. I perked my head up and watched at she made her way to John arrogantly.

"Uh, for what?" John responded, looking between her and I with a confused look on his face. I shrugged my shoulders at him, I didn't even know who the girl was much less why she was here.

She moved behind the black chair that was next to mine, standing behind it and putting one hand on the back.

"To ask me what I'm doing here."

I snorted at the girl, shaking my head and looking back down at the notes. She sounded like she spent days rehearsing what she was going to say to John.

"What are you doing here?" John played along.

"I didn't get a chance to respond the other day, after you spat in my face and yelled at me, and stormed off like a child."

"You know, you did get him fired for no reason, after giving him your word." I muttered, annoyed with how conceited she was sounding. I looked her straight in the eyes and speaking again, "He had every right to act the way he did, sweetheart. Not all of us have million dollar boats and billionaire daddies to pay for our meals." I spoke, narrowing my eyes at her condescendingly. I pieced together who she was after she mentioned her argument with John. After I found him burning all of his things, we had a talk and he told me he got fired and acted out of anger.

The girl in front of me was Sarah Cameron, the reason he got fired.

Sister of Rafe Cameron.

"I'm talking to John B, I don't even know who you are." She spat back.

I stood up, "His sister." I clarified, sending her a bitchy, patronizing, smile. "You have no reason to be here. You lied to him and got him fired. You should feel guilty. So, Unless you're here to give his job back, I suggest you leave."

"First of all I'm not a liar. I don't know how Ward found out about the scuba gear, but I swear it was not me."

I snort again, "How convenient."

John smiles as well, seeming just as unconvinced as I was

"I promise. I am not the reason you got fired." Sarah pushes again, a little more confidently this time.

"Okay." John said, shrugging it off. I could tell his attitude changed a little, but he still wasn't completely persuaded that Sarah was innocent in the situation. However, with how close we were to finding the Merchant, I'm sure he didn't really care about the job anymore.

Sarah shrugged as well, "That's all. Good talk." She spoke, before starting to walk away, "oh!" She exclaimed, pulling a bag of Skinny Pop from her tote, "your favorite." She said, throwing it at John. "Good catch."

"Nice meeting you." She sent me a disdainful smile as she spoke.

"I didn't really have a choice did I? You kinda invited yourself here." I threw back at her. I did not like this girl at all, not to mention who her bother was, and what he had done.

She rolled her eyes and shook her head, walking out the same way she came in. Once she was gone I turned my attention back to John.

"What the hell?" He spoke, a small smile and blush on his face.

I looked at him, my mouth agape.

"What?" He asked.

"Please tell me you don't like Sarah Cameron." I said. I could tell by his reaction he felt a certain way about her.

"What, no! No." He spoke, sounding like he was trying to convince himself he didn't like her more than he was trying to convince me. I raised my eyebrows toward him, doubtful.

"I mean I think she's hot, yeah, but I don't have feelings for her."

I threw my hands up, "whatever you say." I spoke, looking back to the paper in my lap.

"She really isn't that bad, you two got off on the wrong foot."

"If you don't like her it shouldn't matter." I spoke matter-of-factly.

"Yeah! No totally." He tried playing it off, "I don't like her." He stated one more time, looking back to the small screen in his hands.

I chuckled slightly at him and shook my head.

He definitely has feelings for Sarah Cameron.

____

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

634K 8.2K 28
Bree Thornton was a kook from figure eight. Her life was pretty boring until freshman year when a brown haired hippy chick decided to be her friend. ...
1.5K 2 48
Y/N and her two older brothers wanted to get as far away from their father as they could. Her brothers swore to protect her at all cost, they moved h...
5.5K 20 27
you and rafe are having a small thing but your mind might be turning for jj
8.4K 139 19
OC x JJ Outer Banks