Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

By rocketeerin

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... More

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
7 ~ Duke of Cowborough
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
10 ~ The other Crawleys
11 ~ Late for a date
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
21 ~ In Full Bloom
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
34 ~ Mercy Ship
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
41 ~ Temporariness of a Day
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall
43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

3 ~ No rain, no flowers

5.2K 110 85
By rocketeerin

Evelyn slipped on the grey dress she spotted in her closet earlier, she didn't want to stick out too much considering the mourning had started for the Crawley family. She let her hair down to shake it out a bit before pulling it back up a bit messily. While working to tuck her thick waves into a ribbon, she stood in front of the window to admire the view and also use the glass as a partial mirror. The weather was sunny and bright; however, she could see a bit of grey off in the distance. She smiled to herself figuring rain would be moving over Downton pretty soon - she absolutely adored the rain.

A knock and the sound of the door cracking open caught Evelyn's attention as she turned to see Anna with a piece of paper in her hand. "Mises Patmore told me to tell you she is forever grateful for you." She laughed and handed Evelyn the list.

"She says that about every day doesn't she?"

"Well, that means she means it. We all do."

Evelyn smiled and grabbed her small bag off her bed. The two walked out of the room and stood in the hall. "I meant to ask how Mister Bates was doing? Is he doing ok so far? I know it's only his first day but...how do you all feel? I don't mean that hatefully at all - "

"I know you don't. Trust me, I know. The thought has crossed all of our minds. As you said, it's only his first day but he does seem very capable."

"I believe you." Evelyn nodded her head asking Anna to follow her to the stairs. "He's cute for an older man, don't you think?"

Anna laughed a bit and blushed, Evelyn grinned. "I suppose he is, yes. I didn't really notice his 'kind eyes' until you mentioned them...they're very nice."

"Do you like him?" Anna began to stammer. "Not like that, dear. You only just met him I know that. I meant does he seem like a good man?"

"Yes, he does. He seems very genuine and kind..." Evelyn could sense the worry in Anna's voice.

"Which means Thomas and O'Brien will devour him like wolves." She finished Anna's unspoken thoughts.

"Exactly."

Evelyn said. "Keep an eye on him...and them. Let me know if you suspect any foul play." She semi-joked.

"Will do. You seem to have a way with Thomas, he might discontinue all evil if you asked him."

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Highly unlikely. I have no effect over Thomas, I can assure you of that."

Anna smiled. "If you say so. Enjoy the visit to the village. Lady Mary is already in the car by the way." Evelyn began making her way down the stairs. "Oh!" She turned back to Anna who was smiling knowingly. "It looks like it might rain later."

"I hope it does." Evelyn shimmied her shoulder like a child dancing excitedly and bounded down the stairs.

Making her way through the foyer she continued her usual humming until she heard a very familiar voice coming from the sitting room beside the library. Evelyn closed her eyes and took a deep breath to prepare herself for what she was to encounter as she had to say hello or face the wrath of the Dowager Countess - though, to Violet Crawley, Evelyn would still manage to mess up a simple hello. She poked her head in the sitting room to see Cora and Violet chatting. 

At the sound of footsteps, Violet turned around in her chair as she wore her usual judgemental expression. Violet scanned Evelyn up and down and hummed to herself while Cora smiled as she was well aware of the odd relationship the two had; which, in all actuality, was the same relationship anyone had with Violet Crawley.

"Good afternoon, Lady Crawley."

She turned her body in the chair to face her slightly. "Evelyn, hello. You're going somewhere?"

"Yes, Mary and I are going into the village. I have to find a dress."

Violet looked shocked. "You're going to buy a dress in Downton? The farmer's village!"

"There is a little dressmaker shop by the bookstore. Her name is Helen and she's very talented." Evelyn defended. Cora smiled apologetically.

Violet hummed again and turned back around to face Cora, signifying she was done talking. Evelyn bit her lip to keep from laughing at the Countess, she always found her quite funny even though she never intended to be.

Cora looked at Evelyn and nodded. "Go on, dear. Enjoy the outing."

"Thank you, Aunt Cora."

"If any pigs follow you home don't let them in," Violet commented.

"I won't, Lady Crawley." She smiled and jogged to the front door where she saw Mary sitting in the car.

The chauffeur opened the door for Evelyn and she climbed in with a small grunt, plopping down next to Mary. "I thought you might have flaked on me," Mary said flatly.

"Sorry. I got caught up talking to Anna and then Lady Crawley and -"

"Granny's here?"

"She's in the sitting room with Aunt Cora. How did you not hear her? She's quite loud."

"I don't know. But I'll get an ear-full for not saying hello."

--------------------------

The little Downton village was fairly empty at this hour, most of the traffic appeared in the early morning or evening. Evelyn gazed out the car at all the stores and vendors set up on the street. Every time she came to the village, she was reminded of 12 years ago when she saw it for the first time. The people in the village no longer viewed her as a sad child, but instead, they just knew her as Evelyn - and almost everyone knew her. 

The chauffeur pulled close to the edge of the road to park. "We'll be back soon," Evelyn said to him as he opened the door for her and Mary, he nodded in reply.

"Where to first?" Mary asked while looking around.

"Dress first, I think."

The girls strolled through the village to a small shop with a sign reading 'Helen's Hand-Made' above the door. Walking in, a little bell rang to signify customers. A middle-aged woman emerged from the backroom and smiled widely. "Lady Evelyn! It has been a while since I have seen you. And Lady Mary, it is a pleasure to see you."

Mary smiled at her before walking around to look at the dresses and accessories hanging around the store. Evelyn stood in front of Helen's small desk. "So, I'm sure you heard about the ship."

"Oh yes... a terrible thing that was. Word spread like wildfire about Lord Grantham's cousin. I assume that's why you're here." Evelyn nodded. "I do believe I have a black dress about your size."

Evelyn smiled. "Perfect."

"Let me go find it, I think it's in the back." Helen disappeared into the back room.

Mary walked up to Evelyn with a pair of royal blue silk gloves in her hand. "Do these wash out my skin?"

Evelyn looked at the gloves and looked at Mary's hands. Mary's complexion was nearly porcelain so many things tended to 'wash her out' and Evelyn would point out for her. Evelyn almost never had that problem as she was a bit darker. "No, I don't think so."

"I didn't think so but wanted to check, they are quite nice but I have so many gloves. Maybe you should get them, you only one pair."

"I have two pairs thank you. I don't like gloves so no need for more than that." Mary rolled her eyes with a smile and went back to looking at the selections.

Evelyn, now facing the front of the shop, watched the cars, people, and horses go by the shop. A car parked across the road caught her attention, it wasn't an expensive car but in her eyes, it was a nice car. She admired the car, assuming it was at least a De Dion-Bouton. It was a two-seater with only a bench and a small bed on the back where a crate sat. It had no doors or windows, leaving everything exposed.

A man stormed to the car and placed something in the crate on the back, he seemed angry. The man was very tall, maybe around six foot three, with broad shoulders over his thin build. She could see that he had short, dark brown hair and a prominent nose. From this distance, she deemed him fairly attractive...though she had never seen him in Downton before.

She did not notice Mary was, once again, by her side until she spoke. "He's too tall for you."

"What? What does that even mean?"

"Your barely over five feet tall you'd have to stand on a box to kiss him at the wedding."

"I have a lot of dress boxes stored I can make it work." 

Mary smiled and shook her head. "If you say so. He's handsome. Looks a bit angry though."

"I like an angry man. The overly happy ones concern me." Evelyn joked.

A crash behind them caused them to whip around to see Helen stumbling out of the back with a black dress and a box. "Here is it, dear. What do you think?"

Evelyn held it up, it looked a bit big but for the occasion that didn't concern her. "I'll take it. Thank you, Helen." She handed her a few silver coins.

"Oh, you overpaid, dear." Helen tried to hand her back a coin.

Evelyn just stared at Helen and smiled. "I know."

Helen glared at her 'angrily' before smiling. "Thank you, Lady Evelyn. Let me put it in its box for you."

"Oh...another dress box..." she looked at Mary who rolled her eyes. "...lovely." Evelyn glanced back to see the man leaned against the car, staring off into the distance. He must have been waiting for someone.

"Here you are, dear. It was a pleasure to see you, Lady Mary."

"Likewise, Helen. Take care." Mary smiled kindly as the girls exited the shop.

Mary began to head to the bookstore next door until Evelyn grabbed her arm to stop her. "Are you curious who he's waiting for?"

"Well yes, but do you expect us to just stare at him until we find out?"

"It doesn't look like we'll be waiting long."

Evelyn watched the man walk to the front of the car as Mr. Clarkson, Downton's doctor, approached him with a box of bloody bandages. They watched as the man took the box from Doctor Clarkson as he began to speak to him, the man still appearing miffed about something. Once Doctor Clarkson was done speaking, the man put the box on the seat next to the driver's side. He rounded the car to get in when he noticed the two women watching him.

"We've been caught," Evelyn whispered. He raised an eyebrow curiously at them before getting in the car and driving off. "Well, that was exciting. But now my interest is piqued even more." She took off in the opposite direction of the bookstore towards the hospital, Mary followed.

"I'm going to stay out here, the smell of the hospital makes me sick," Mary said before walking to a flower stand next to the door.

Evelyn walked through the doors of the hospital to see Doctor Clarkson filling out some paperwork at the front desk. "Hello, Doctor Clarkson." She smiled. 

She viewed the medical profession much differently than most. The medical field was looked at as a lowly profession; however, Evelyn found it very noble to spend years learning how to save lives.

He turned and looked surprised. "Evelyn, hello. What can I do for you? You're not sick are you?"

"No, no. In good health that I'm aware...knock on wood. But, I wanted to ask you about the man you brought the bandages to. Forgive my nosiness."

Clarkson laughed. "I would be nosy too if I saw a man with a box of bloody bandages. That was my nephew, Benjamin. He's currently training under me to be a doctor and help me around here, though we don't always see eye-to-eye - hence the angry expression I'm sure you picked up on." Evelyn nodded. "Yes he did not agree with my method of disposing of the biohazards, apparently they teach them differently in Liverpool...but I won't go into the gruesome details in front of a lady."

"You think I am delicate, Doctor?" She challenged with a smirk.

"Two words I would never put together would be 'Evelyn' and 'delicate' that's for sure. But, I do not believe you came in to ask about the disposal methods of bandages...I believe your interest is with my nephew?"

Evelyn smiled. "I was just being inquisitive is all. I had never seen him in Downton before."

"Well, you'll be seeing plenty of him now. He's not too much older than you, you two would get along. He's very headstrong and can be rather sarcastic."

"Sounds like someone I would enjoy the company of."

He laughed. "Indeed. It seems like your companion for the day is waiting for you." He motioned out the door where Mary stood, she waved to him from outside.

"Oh, yes. I will let you get to your patients now. Thank you for attending to my prying." She grinned.

"Anytime, Lady Evelyn."

Exiting the hospital, she could tell the sky was darkening rather quickly. "I think we should head back, it looks as if it's supposed to rain," Mary said as she looked up at the sky.

"You go ahead, I still have a few placed to visit."

"Alright, I'll send the car back for you."

"No, thank you. I'll walk back."

Mary raised an eyebrow. "Are you deaf all of a sudden? I said it looks like rain...oh I forgot you like the rain. Strange." She teased as she strolled to the car with Evelyn walking beside her.

"Don't be such a pessimist, Mary. No rain, no flowers."

"Are you a flower, dear? No. You're not. So why stand in the rain?"

"Because I'm not a snob."

"You sound like Edith with her insults." Mary took the dress box from Evelyn before she climbed into the car. "Be careful, come back soon. If you do decide to drench yourself for some odd reason go through the servants' corridors...if you walked in the main door sopping wet you just might kill Granny."

"I don't think she is capable of such a petty thing as death." Mary scoffed in agreement. "I probably won't return before dinner, could you let Mr. Carson know so he doesn't make them wait for me."

She nodded. "Really, be careful. I'll see you when you return home." The chauffeur closed the door and got in the driver's seat before driving off.

--------------------------

After picking up Sybil's package from the bookstore, Evelyn headed to the grocers. She walked inside, the little bell dinged above the door, and few shoppers smiled at her, all of them knowing who she was. The grocer, Mr. Kent, offered her a kind grin. "Good evening, Lady Evelyn."

"Good evening. I have a list from Mises Patmore."

Mr. Kent took the list and shook his head. "I will never grasp the concept of a nobility running errands for the cook."

She laughed. "I am not nobility, I am simply of a distant relation. I often enjoy the company of the cook more than the actual nobles of the house."

"Yes, Mises Patmore is a good time, isn't she. Let me gather these things for you, dear."

"Thank you." Mr. Kent began to shuffle around the store to gather her items.

Evelyn began to read a label of a new 'Magic Tonic' displayed at the register. She heard a faint ding from the bell at the door but was too interested in the label to pay much attention. She scoffed at the ludicrous claims. 

"Treats nearly all ailments. Absurd," she said to herself in nearly a whisper.

"A woman able to recognize absurd claims is a rare sight." A voice spoke from next to her. Evelyn looked up...way up...into the brown eyes of Doctor Clarkson's nephew, Benjamin. He leaned casually against the register with one hand as he watched her with a smile. He gently took the small bottle from her, his hand engulfing the bottle completely before he managed to maneuver his grip to scan over the words. She watched his deep brown eyes twitch as they shifted from word to word on the label, a drop of water running down his forehead. Her eyes gazed up to notice his short hair was wet - it was finally raining. "It's just chamomile, herbal anti-anxiety. Makes you sleep. If you sleep, you think the cause of pain goes away and you heal...it's a scam. But it seems like you picked up on that yourself." He handed the bottle back to her, noticing she had not once taken her eyes off of his face.

She snapped out of her trance. "I mean I only figured it was because of the packaging..."

He let more of his weight shift on his hand, settling into his posture as he lifted an eyebrow at her. "The packaging? How so?"

"Well...the bright colors catch the eye, the sesquipedalian wording elicits a sense of credibility, and the claims and promises target desperation. It's a perfect storm for, as you said, a scam."

He stared at her curiously and confused. "Sesqui...what?"

She laughed. "Sesquipedalian. It just means words that are overblown or flowery, mostly for the purpose of making things seem grander than they are. Ironically enough the word itself is a sesquipedal word "

He nodded, very intrigued by the girl. "With the use of words like that and an obvious education I'd say you don't live here. As rude as that may sound."

"No, you're right. I live at Downton Abbey."

His eyebrows lifted in surprise. "Downton Abbey. I would have assumed you were one of Lord Grantham's daughters but you have an American accent."

"Observant. I am Lady Grantham's niece. I'm - "

"Here ye are, Evelyn!" Mr. Kent shouted in his jolly tone as he sat down the bags of groceries.

She smiled widely without taking her eyes off of his. "...Evelyn...but he stole my thunder..." He grinned and her goofiness. She turned to Mr. Kent. "How much?"

"Three pence, dear." Evelyn counted out the coins and handed them to him. "Thank ye. Do you need helping to get that to the Abbey?"

Before Evelyn could protest, Benjamin spoke. "I'll help her." He scooped the two bags, full of groceries, into his arms before looked back down at her. "I'm Benjamin Harding."

"Pleasure." She glanced back to Mr. Kent, who smiled knowingly. "I'm sure I'll see you soon, Mister Kent."

"It's almost radish season. You know Mises Patmore loves radishes! So I'm sure you will."

Evelyn and Benjamin exited the store and stood under the small, wooden canopy over the door. The rain poured viciously as the streets were now relatively empty, with only a few residents running to shelter.

"So you're Lord Grantham's niece...I would assume that would give you some fairly high ranking among society and yet you're picking up groceries?"

"I grew up here spending most of my time in the servants' corridor, they're a bit more fun. I'm very close with most of them. I enjoy helping where I can."

"Very honorable of you." She just smiled in response. "I would offer to take you home in my car...but..." As Evelyn had observed before, the car was topless.

"A De Dion-Bouton?"

He glanced down at her impressed. "Yes, it is."

"My father liked cars." 

His smile faded at her use of past-tense. As to not make her sad, he did pry for now. "What year is it?" He challenged.

"Hmmm...give me a moment." She ran out into the rain and over to the car as she circled it, becoming instantly soaked in the process. Benjamin laughed in shock at her willingness to run into a deluge. She ran back to him after a minutes, out of breath and dripping wet. "1904. The seats are ribbed. They switched from smooth to ribbed in 1904 to help prevent slipping off the bench since there are no doors. It is not a 1905 model because there is only one set of headlights, not two."

Benjamin said nothing, just blinked at her. "You are quite an impressive woman I must have...and we've only just met. I'm sure there is much more to learn."

"Much indeed." She looked back into the streets that began to look as if they were flooding. 

"What's the plan?" Benjamin asked.

"Well, I plan on walking home."

"In this?"

"I'm already drenched I don't see why not."

"Do you want to catch a cold?"

"Will you take care of me if I get one?"

He smiled. "I don't know. I might just let you suffer for being irrational."

"Hm...shame. I guess I'll have to suffer. Hand me the groceries." she began to take off her coat to place over the bags.

"Whoa, wait." she stopped. "I said I would help you get these home, and I am a man of my word. So...I guess I'm irrational too." Benjamin sat the bags at his feet and began to take off his brown jacket, leaving him in only a white button-down untucked from his dark brown trousers. He wrapped the bags in his coat and scooped them back into his arms. 

"You're going to leave your car?"

"It'll be fine, it's a bit rusty. Probably not worth much." She nodded.

"I quite like it. Shall we trek into the flood?"

"I've only known you for twenty minutes and you've shattered my sense of reason."

"Am I worth it?" She smiled and looked at him under her long eyelashes.

"I don't know yet."

"Well...you better decide fast." Evelyn darted out from under the canopy and began to head towards the Abbey. Benjamin hesiated for only a second before running to catch up to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Benjamin Harding ~ Oliver Phelps

Benjamin's car ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.5K 1.3K 39
**DRAFT MOSTLY** FOR FANS OF BRIDGERTON Rose Axel is deformed from the burns she endured from her father. Her face is forever hidden under a veil. He...
To Defend A Duke By Victoria

Historical Fiction

433K 24K 40
Four years ago, Evelyn Wright's perfect life as a debutante in London was ripped away from her, and her family moved to the countryside. Since then...
1.2K 10 28
| The Sequel to 'All Is Fair In Love And War' ||Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley || Their secret doesn't just exist within Downton Abbey, now it lives a...
65.1K 1.1K 83
REVISING! You're just Tom's little sister he never talked about. When out of the blue you get a call from him inviting you to Downton Abbey to meet h...