Twice In A Lifetime | Book 2...

By vineethereader

(This Book Is A Sequel and contains major spoilers from the first book- Stop! Right now! Don't even read the... More

Synopsis
1. CONTEMPLATING CHOICES
2. AFTERMATH
3. CHAOS IS COMPULSORY
4. READY OR NOT
5. I HATE LONG STORIES
7. MAKE IT QUICK
8. DROP THE ACT
9. FUNCTION SENSIBLY
10: DIE IN A DITCH
11. GLAD TO DISAPPOINT
12. HOW MUCH LONGER?
13. I WONDER WHY?
14. NO ESCAPE
15. FRAGILE TRUST
16. ANOTHER LONG STORY
17. THE TRUTH
18. MAYBES AND WHAT IF'S
19. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT
20. YOU HAVE ISSUES
21. DISTRACTIONS
22. UNRESTRAINED
23. LIKE CLOCKWORK
24. ATTEMPT AT A THREAT
25. UNDER WRAPS
26. THE WEDDING DAY (End)
CLOSING REMARKS!
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2

6: NO PROMISES

3.6K 275 155
By vineethereader

Chapter 6: NO PROMISES

**********************************

Alex's POV:

************

“Where should I start?” I asked tired as I sank into my chair while Will followed me after a boring as hell meeting. Shockingly enough he was still curious about Jensen and me.

“From the end, remember to always start at the end, I prefer to avoid any form of anticipation at all costs.” Will told me, and I gave him a strange look.

“We broke up.” I began, and then continued to tell him all the highlights, skipping all the unnecessary details and finally ended up on the same words I started with, feeling emotional as I deflated into the chair.

“Is it odd that you did all the talking and I’m the one feeling drained?” I scowled at him, while he looked as emotional as a cinder block. “I can not believe you dated your boss.” He stated bluntly and I wanted to disappear because of the judgement those words seem to suggest.

“I know.” I squeezed my eyes shut foreseeing many more critical remarks from Will, “Now, stop giving me those judgy eyes.” I shouldn't have told him, it was difficult to earn his respect in the first place.

“I’m not.” he straight out denied as he continued staring at me.

“You can’t just deny it when I see what you're doing!” I pointed out.

“I always look like this.” He said flatly, and as I considered his words I realised there was truth to them.

“Oh...I guess that’s true.” He should really stop judging the world.

He frowned as he looked away before meeting my eyes again, “That explains why he sent me a look that expressed how he would immensely enjoy my untimely demise.” Will said, describing Jensen’s death glare quite accurately.

“Don’t take it personally, it’s how he deals with everyone.” I told him.

“I cannot fathom you made me interfere in an impractical lover’s tiff.” He spoke with a hint of displeasure, like it was farther than the last thing he would prefer to do.

“Which part of ‘we broke up’ did you not understand? And what do you mean ‘made you’ I never asked for your help.” I scoffed.

Will exhaled quietly and I could almost read his thoughts: ‘That long story was awfully long with a blend of some of the poorest life decisions compiled into a single person’s life who also happens to be my superior. What did I ever do to deserve this? The rate of regression of human intelligence is quite alarming.’ I guess that last one was a constant.

“The situation seemed to call for help from where I was looking.” He said calmly, “And with all due respect Ms. Brook, your response to his advances seems illogical, now that I know the whole story.”

Illogical? My jaw hung low in silence. “What was I supposed to do? He appeared out of nowhere today and I wasn't prepared.”

“Even so, you should have known that avoiding him and sweeping the matter under the rug is not going to eliminate it.” He said.

“What am I supposed to do? I am not okay with the way he acted and I don’t plan to forgive him like nothing happened.”  I said, silently fuming.

“Don’t forgive him.” He said simply, making me frown in confusion. “Just yet.” he added. “Make him work for it, and if he really cares for you he will.” he said, sounding awfully unlike himself. “Discerning from the way you speak of him, you still feel something towards him so don’t give up, just make him realise it's harder to win you over this second time.”

“I can't believe you just talked to me about emotions and actually sounded empathic.” I joked, but I took his words seriously. He was right, sweeping the problems under the rug is not gonna solve them.

“I was just giving you some advice, it's my job after all.” He said, adjusting his glasses, “And what you call emotions are just a bunch of chemical reactions within you, I prefer not to be ruled by any such reactions.”

Aaand that's more like him. Just as I was about to make a lame joke about him being possessed, the phone on my desk rang saving me.

Will reached for it and spoke crisply, “Good afternoon, you’ve reached Alexandra Brook’s office...who shall I say is calling?” There was a pause and then he said, “Certainly Mrs Brook.” He handed me the phone within a blink.

His urgency made me chuckle, there was none of that formality he otherwise enumerates, rather his eyes seem to declare, ‘This is your creator and you need to take this call.’

Holding the phone to my ear I greeted her, but my smile froze at my mom’s angry voice.

As I listened to her enraged scolding I was immensely grateful for the innovation that was a phone, I could only imagine what it would have been like if my mother was here in person yelling at me loud enough for my employees down the floor to listen to.

Whatever little respect I held in the eyes of my employees would have shattered to smithereens.

She scolded me for not checking my phone, for disrupting her schedule (even though she made the phone call), for not coming home early for once and whole lot of other things...I expected her to blame me for climate change and world starvation any moment now but when that didn’t come I counted myself lucky and prepared to go home early.

After the phone call I turned to Will and said, “I need to leave early today.”

He nodded in understanding, “Try not to have a wretched evening.”

“No promises.”  I said walking out towards the parking.

***************************************************************

There are very few things that I avoided in life, and wearing a dress was definitely one of them. Hence it wasn’t hard to guess why I wasn’t in an awfully great mood, when mom forced me into one this evening.

The simple yet graceful copper blue dress was a cold shoulder, knee length elegance that I clearly didn’t understand nor did I appreciate enough (according to mom). It was paired with bright metallic copper heels and matching rod-like long reddish brown earrings. It was all beautiful to look at but painful to be in, however I decided to suck it up for Kyle’s sake and enjoyed the way it made me feel pretty.

Dad and Kyle were in their blue and black bespoke suits while mom was dressed in a floor length emerald green dress that made her look younger and stunning.

Apparently we are all going to meet Jenny’s family for dinner and for mom, first impressions were important. Kyle gave me a sympathetic but amused look as we got into his car, since we all had one single destination, taking different vehicles seemed pointless and excessive when his car was big enough to comfortably fit everyone.

The twenty minute drive to Jenny’s place was full of loquaciousness, as Kyle filled me in about Jenny's family since I was as clueless as a dim bulb. He grievously told me about her dad’s death when she was only seventeen but brightened up soon enough as he talked about her mom Lydia who was a gracious and compassionate woman and had already accepted him as a son-in-law, he then told me about her brother who was an intimidating individual but was slowly warming up to him.

“Who am I even telling...you know better than I.” He scoffed in humor.

I frowned, wondering what exactly he meant but shrugged it off, “So have you already received the obligatory ‘hurt my sister and I break your face?’ or has he saved it for later...if not can I be a witness?”

“You truly have my best interest at heart don’t you?” he said flatly.

“You bet.”

Kyle shook his head and slowed down as we reached, he parked the car over the crunching gravel and said, “I think he trust’s me, you being my sister is enough of a validation for him I guess, and I can tell Jensen thinks highly of you but that doesn’t stop the judgement pouring out of his eyes sometimes. You guys are very much alike in that regard, you know…?"

W-wait what? My head spun disorienting my thoughts. I couldn’t believe my ears or at least I didn’t want to. Have I really been so clueless?

“Who?” I breathed out with effort but my question was futile as Kyle had already stepped out and so had mom and dad, and they were all now busy unloading all the bags of presents, but I sat there frozen, limbs locked as they were while thoughts struggled to make sense.

Kyle opened the door for me scowling, “Are you ever going to realise that I’m not your personal chauffeur?”

I looked up at my brother but my thoughts were elsewhere, Jensen’s twin sister Jennifer a.k.a Jenny, the charity event she couldn't organise since she was working out of state, her familiar piercing grey eyes, it all came to me with a force so strong, I couldn't move, speak, or breath.

Kyle was saying something uninterrupted, I blinked in an attempt to understand his words, but my mind was drawing a blank. I was baffled by my cluelessness, my blissful ignorance and my outright stupidity for not joining the dots together earlier.

I was physically forced into reality when Kyle pulled me out of the car at not receiving a reply or an insult to his rambling. He looked a bit worried, “Alexandra, are you okay?”

My eyes focused on him and my anger bubbled out, I kicked his shin instinctively, “Don’t call me Alexandra!” I took the bags from his hands and walked ahead. I was mad at Kyle for not telling me all this beforehand when I had more time to process it and I was mad at myself for not figuring out the obvious.

Seeing Kyle jump on one feet behind me, mom sighed and said, “Kyle, you're getting married soon, for god sake at least act like a grown-up!”

“Why is everyone yelling at me?” Kyle’s sulking voice said.

That managed to amuse me despite my inner turmoil and I found myself positively resolute that I won't let Jensen’s unexpectedly perplexing presence affect me. I had to do it for Kyle and Jenny and for everyone to have a good time. I have to endure it tonight and maybe in future I’ll be more strategic about my attendance at endless dinner parties that are sure to follow.

As we stood in front of the door armed with a bunch of bags filled with presents in each hand, waiting to be welcomed, I couldn’t stop a thought from forming within me.

Did Jensen come to speak with me today because of this, was it because he didn’t want any tension in his sister’s future wedding plans? Granted, I avoided him and made it harder for him to communicate with me, but he succeeded anyway didn’t he… but why today? Why now? Did he only apologize for his sister’s sake, just like I’m putting on a smile right now?

My heart sank deeper when the doors swung open and we were received inside with warm hugs and greetings.

My eyes instantly looked for him, not because I missed him...of course not, don’t you look down at the ground as you walk to avoid stepping in puddles? It was something like that.

“And you must be Alexandra.” A slim woman with shoulder length  brown hair and warm kind eyes gently took hold of my shoulders and smiled at me, “I’ve heard so much about you from Kyle, Jenny, Jensen...from everyone, It’s good to finally meet you.”

I couldn't help but beam at her sincere enthusiasm.

“I see my reputation precedes me…” I joked. “Though I’d like to make one thing clear, I do not vouch for my brother as a perfect match for your daughter.” I said, using my moment of glory as effectively as I could.

“I told you she’d say that..” Kyle said, probably to Jenny.

Lydia chuckled, “as expected, you’re lovely.” I couldn't believe that sentence was spoken without sarcasm, making me feel genuinely adored by someone I just met.

Jenny turned to me, “Are you roasting Kyle again?” she pretended to chastise.

Before I could say something to salvage the situation, dad had opened his mouth, “she was merely speaking the truth Jenny.”

“Dad!”

“Richard!”

Kyle and Mom exclaimed.

“What? When she says it, it’s fine?” Dad Huffed at being scolded and we all chuckled and walked further inside towards the sitting area.

I tried to overcome the prickling unease of encountering Jensen any moment, but he was yet to emerge out of his hiding, giving me a few more minutes to compose myself. We all settled in the living room and the grown ups began to behave like grown-ups and soon it became boring. Jenny and Kyle were the only not so grown-ups but the lovestruck dolts were of no help.

The low sound of heavy footsteps coming down the staircase made me rigid in my seat and I turned towards a familiar voice speaking into his bluetooth earpiece, when he glanced at the group of people gathered in the living room, he disengaged the bluetooth from his ear and stuffed it into his pant’s pocket. He seemed casual yet ceremonial in his white button down shirt, grey blazer and matching grey pants, looking like he stepped out of a fashion catalogue. Urghh…. Why must he?

“Jensen, where have you been? I looked for you everywhere.” Lydia chided.

“I was just taking this call…” He said and then quickly greeted mom, dad and gave Kyle a side hug, his wandering eyes brushed past me but then quickly returned and then widened ever so slightly, I looked away.

“It must have been a while since the two of you met…” Jenny said, smiling at her brother. The resemblance among the two siblings was astounding, how did I ever miss it?

He spoke, “We actually just-”

“Yeah, it’s been a while.” I cut him off, shooting him a pointed look. Was he seriously going to tell her that he came to meet me today? And when asked for details was he gonna explain the reasons why and how he was kicked out by my assistant for those very reasons? I don’t think so...

He smirked in understanding and walked up to me, “It’s been a few weeks right, how are you?” he said, and before I could react he was pulling me into a hug. What the heck?

I wanted to throttle him but my thoughts were so scattered, I just stood there like an ice sculpture and let him hug me. The embrace was too familiar, the comfort, the warmth, his fresh lemony cologne brought back memories I was trying to restrain. “Yeah, it seems longer…” I strained a chuckle and nodded at him as he stepped away.

Jensen’s lips pulled up faintly in an amused smile as he stared at me with adoration in his eyes. I scowled at his obvious enjoyment.

“It’s great that you two have familiar faces in the middle of all the wedding commotion.” Mom said smiling at the two of us.

“Yeah, I’m glad.” Jensen replied, making me glare at him as discreetly as I could.

“Commotion?” Kyle’s ear perked up, “mom I said we wanted a peaceful wedding.” he said glancing at Jenny.

“You should have thought of that before appointing our mother as your wedding planner.” I pointed out.

“We haven’t appointed her ….yet” Kyle dared to speak up.

“You don’t have a say in that son, just sit down.” Mom replied, and Kyle took a seat next to his fiance.

I shrugged looking at Jenny, who simply grinned in reply and stared lovingly at Kyle’s tactics.

Soon everyone clustered around, making conversation with their preferred individuals, Kyle and Jenny were off to one side being all flirty, mom and dad were talking to Lydia and that left me alone with Jensen who was staring at me while I made sure not to encourage him and tried to look as unapproachable as I could. It didn’t work of course as he sat down next to me, giving me his full attention.

Great!

**********************************

Do vote and comment your thoughts!

Thanks for reading! 💙

*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 8.5K 46
Enemies-to-lovers * Bickering/bantering Boss/employee * Romantic comedy with a HEA He says I'm a hemorrhoid and a massive dark cloud without a silver...
5.6K 259 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
12.1M 393K 57
"Why did u punch him?" I asked in shock. "Why did you kiss him?" He asked me angrily. "What? I... but..he... " "Is he your boyfriend? Or Did he pa...
5.7K 347 50
One date. That's what they were told. One date evolves into something. Something neither of them wanted. A grave misunderstanding occurs pushing a ma...