What Happened To Us《A Miracul...

By -moonology-

*The rewrite is out please don't read this it's so old-- ------------------------------------ "What did I do... More

Not a People Person《Part 1》
I Hate Them《Part 2》
Dark Clouds 《Part 3》
Discoveries《Part 4》
Can I Go Now?《Part 5》
What Happened To Us《Part 6》
Ask Myself《Part 7》
Heart-stabbing Questions《Part 8》
Lies of the Past《Part 9》
I (Don't) Hate You《Part 10》
Hang out...《Part 11》
Threats《Part 12》
Listening《Part 13》
Trust 《Part 14》
Should've Told Me Sooner《Part 15》
Nothing 《Part 16》
Suspicions《Part 17》
Author's Question
Knowing More《Part 18》
Powers and Problems 《Part 19》
Shocked《Part 20》
It's Raining Betrayal 《Part 20.5》
Long Overdue《Part 22》
Here's What Happened《Part 23》
Pick a Side《Part 24》
Guilty《Part 25》
Here's a Story《Part 25.5》
Stress, Ships, and Secrets 《Part 26》
Meii 《Part 27》
Nightmare Marks 《Part 28》
Update
Jealousy Trapped 《Part 29》
Oblivious Identity 《Part 30》
Identity Reveal 《Part 31》
Screw Sisterhood 《Part 32》
Fight or Flight《Part 33》
F̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ o̶r̶ Fight 《Part 33.5》
It's Over. Sort of 《Part 34》
Changes 《Part 35》
After word + other stuff

Some Time Off《Part 21》

94 4 1
By -moonology-

Marinette•

Overthinking. It's what I've been doing since the last time I saw Chat Noir and Alice. It's what I've been doing since I sent that folder. If I had to describe what my past week has been, it would be overthinking.

A few days after I was finally feeling better, it obviously made me curious when Alice seemed like she didn't want to talk. But of course not everything is my business.

On the other hand, I didn't have to worry that much about Chat Noir. We were just happy to see each other, especially knowing that a lucky charm isn't necessary to get rid of an akuma. All this was starting to get a bit overwhelming, so when Alya asked me to hang out, I agreed.

"It's good to wind down a bit you know? Let go of the things stressing you out," she says as she helps me fond the baking pan.

She's right I guess. Baking is sort of relaxing in a way. Not to mention it gives me something to do. I open the drawer and hand my best friend the cupcake liners. Just as I'm about to grab the bowl of batter, I hear a voice in the front call my name.

"Marinette, this fancy piece of paper has your name on it!" my dad says, placing an envelope on the counter.

To my surprise, it does have my name on it. As Mom and Dad talk about another large order for an event, I open the envelope to find one of those embroidered type cards. I skim through it and my jaw drops as I read the paragraph written.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Marinette Dupain-Cheng, we are pleased to announce that your work has been accepted. Please attend the opening of the Agreste Gallery for Art and Fashion this Saturday at 6 p.m, for your designs will be displayed and many would like to meet the artist behind them.

-This invitation is an RSVP-
////////////////////////////////////////////////

"You go girl! I told you you'd do a great job! All those weeks of panicking was for nothing," Alya says looking over my shoulder.

"Alya, I---" I don't know what to say or do. Should I be happy? Excited? A nervous wreck? Lately I had been taking my designing more seriously, and I had sent the folder a few weeks ago.

"It says I can bring someone," I tell her as I finish reading the full card. "Do you want to go with me Alya?"

My best friend sighs. "I would love to, but I promised to look after some little monsters that day. Let's just say leaving them alone is not a good idea whatsoever," Alya says.

Alya giggles as I pout, trying to make me feel better about this. "Not  to worry though. I pinky promise that you'll do great," she says with a wink. "Plus, a certain someone will be there, so you'll definitely enjoy yourself."

A certain someone? Who is she---

"Ack! Alya! I completely forgot who owns the place! What if Adrien's there?!"

"Girl I was teasing." Alya playfully ruffles my hair. "That blondie isn't your main priority. Remember, eyes on that one way ticket to impressing a bunch of people with your super amazing art skills."

Okay, she's right. I'm overthinking again. "C'mon, let's get these cupcakes in the oven ready. I'll let you have the extra frosting."

****
I plop down onto my bed and pull my phone out from under one of the pillows.

M: Hey! What are doing right now?

A: Listening to Daphne complain about how much she hates pigeons

M: Okay...Are you free on Saturday???

A: I think so. Why?

M: I have to tell you in person! Can you stop by the bakery?

A: If I give my Mom a good excuse then I might be able to stop by after hanging out with Daphne?

M: Perfect! I'll see you later! ^^

****
"I swear I should ban you from getting dessert when you come over," I joke as Alice enters my room.

"I would have absolutely no reason to visit then," Alice says, swallowing a mouth full of cake. "But then again you're my friend, so I guess I can pass for once."

She walks over to the mannequin in the corner of my room, and eyes the pieces of paper that I threw on the floor. She picks up one of them and smiles at me. "Did you draw these?" she asks.

"Yeah I did actually! Buuut I wasn't really satisfied with them," I say sheepishly. "Speaking of my designs, that's why I called you here! I was invited to show off some of my designs at a gallery opening, and I'm allowed to bring someone that's not my parents. Do you wanna go with me?"

She blinks a few times as if she's processing what I just asked. "Yeahhh no. Don't you have other friends? Aria and Rosie and--"

"Alya has babysitting and the other girls are either unavailable or hate the idea of a gallery type event," I say with a smug look.

"Okay? And what about Adrien? He's your friend right?"

Tikki doesn't even try to hide her giggling. "H-huh?! Alice!" I say in surprise. "The Agrestes are the ones hosting the event I can't just ask Adrien to be my--"

"Yeah yeah I get it. I didn't know," Alice says.

"I hope you don't think I just asked you because I had no one else to go with, because I seriously would be happy if you came with me," I add.

Alice stares at my old designs for a moment longer. "I really don't mind Mari," she says. "It's not like I'm your only friend right? Hopefully I can get Mom's permission. I've been out of the house way too much lately. So, the Agrestes are the ones hosting this thing?"

"Yep! And that means showing Gabriel Agreste, one of the best fashion designers in Paris, my designs." That's when the realisation hits me.

"Alice, Tikki! I'm going to be showing my designs to one of the best fashion designers in Paris what am I gonna do?!" I panic.

"Um, you show them off of course," Alice says matter-of-factly.

"She's right Marinette," Tikki says sternly. "You're not thinking of skipping just because your nervous are you? Because I can tell that you seriously wanna do this."

"Is it possible to wanna do something so bad but you're terrified of doing it at the same time?" I ask.

Alice hands me the piece of notebook paper. "It's totally possible. Just relax and you'll be fine. But one question," she adds. "What the heck do you wear to a fashion gallery?"

At this the designer in me jumps out and I drag her to my desk. "Okay sit down. We're going to talk fashion until you have a clear vision." I say proudly.

"Seriously?"

•Saturday Evening•

I did not expect this. I am so much more nervous than I need to be. Now I knew all about the Agreste Gallery for Art and Fashion, but I never though I would be coming here to show some of my designs.

"You'll be fine Marinette. My little girl is a great baker and a great fashion designer," Dad says putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Thanks Dad," I say. It honeslty helps. And after so many people have tell me this, I've started to feel a lot less nervous.

"We'll go get set up. You can wait here for your friend" Mom says and she and Dad walk away.

It starts to feel a bit awkard just standing there, but Tikki can't be seen. I flinch when I feel someone's arms pull me into a hug from behind. "Hey Mari!" Alice says.

Once she lets go, I turn around and my eyes go wide when I see her. Her auburn hair is now curled at the end, and the pastel pink dress she's wearing is sleeveless and rests slightly above her knees. Normally I'm a four centimeters taller than her, but her white heels makes it as if we swapped heights. The moon rests on a silver chain around her neck.

"Wow, Alice..." I mentally slap myself for being so flustered. "I just never saw you as the getting dressed up type. T-that's not bad of course I just meant that you look really pretty--" I say hurriedly.

She looks surprised for a moment, then quickly turns away to hide the fact that the tips of her ears are now red.

"Thanks," she says. "To be honest, I always try to ignore the "dressed up type." But when I actually do have to get dressed up, I sort of love it."

"How have things been lately?" I ask, remembering how she hadn't been wanting to talk lately. "You know, with hiding your secret and dealing with your powers?"

"It's fine. Sorry for ignroing you Mari. I just had some things to take care of," she says. "Let's stop talking about Lila and akumas and all that, at least for today. Let's just try to enjoy ourselves. Especially you."

I take her hand and we start small talk as we check out the gallery.

"By the way, where did you get your dress?" she asks. It looks good on you."

"Oh! I made it actually!"

"So you're a superhero and a seriously talented fashion designer? You're way cooler than I thought."

"Whaat no I mean--thanks?"

"Don't mention it." She playfully punches my shoulder and we continue to walk down the marble halls.

"Hey you two!"

I quickly turn around and come nose to nose with Adrien Agreste. Oh my gosh oh my gosh. Don't panic Marinette! Just act normal!

"Hi Adrien! We were wondering where you were," I spit out, but luckily I manage to sound not completely like an idiot.

"Well I had to help greet some of the guests," he sighs.

"And by guests you mean random strangers who are probably rich, right?" Alice comments.

"Exactly. By the way Marinette, how are you feeling? Alya told me you weren't feeling well, so that's why you weren't at school for the past few days," he adds when he sees my confused expression.

I can instantly feel my cheeks get hot. "Oh--you were wondering about me?" I ask. Alice chuckles behind me and then lightly nudges me with her elbow.

"Of course I did," he says flashing that cute smile of his. "We're friends aren't we?"

My heart skydives and drops dead to my feet. I can practically see Alice cringing. "R-right. Thanks Adrien," I stammer, ignoring the feeling that my heart will never revive itself after this.

"Anyway, I should probably get going. I'll see you at your display Marinette!" Adrien waves and leaves the two of us.

As soon as he's out of earshot, I turn to Alice. "Ouch. Still just friends huh?" she whispers. "That was pretty painful to watch."

"It was even more painful to feel," I groan. I shake my head and snap myself out of my daze. "But that's fine!C'mon, I wanna make sure I have everything ready on time."

After double checking with the help of Alice and Adrien, I'm surprisingly calm. Well, not calm, but a lot less worried. In fact, almost excited about it.

People crowd around the table where I spent time setting up my designs, until it was visually appealing enough for me. And apparently it's nice enough for other people as well.

"It seems I'm not the only one pleased with your work today Marinette," a voice behind me says.

The three of us turn around to see Gabriel Agreste and his assistant.

"I must admit, this is one of the most impressive boards I have seen from an aspiring designer I quite some time," he continues.

"I--they're not terrible?" I ask in astonishment.

"Not at all. In fact, your designs met my expectations. You are quite talented for your age. I think you have potential Marinette," he says.

"Wait, me?! I--thank you!" I make a mental note to slap myself when I get home.

Mr. Agreste nods and turns to talk with some of the other guests, leaving me to burst with happiness. Part of me wants to pinch myself and get myself out of this dream, while the other half wants to shut up and just accept what happened.

"We told you didn't we?" Alice and Adrien laugh.

I can't help but pull both of them into a hug. "Thanks you guys. I would've died from embarrassment if it weren't for you."

"Don't mention it Marinette," Adrien says with a smile. 

"Yeah. If you had died, one of us would've just revived you and forced you to do this thing," Alice comments as I let them go, but I can tell she's happy. "So, we still have some time left before the show officially ends. What do you guys want to do?"

"Ignore the guests and have our own fun?" Adrien suggests.

"Alright. But you guys better put your secret keeping skills to the test tonight, because we'd probably all get in trouble if we got caugh snooping around. Got that?" I remind them.

"Deal," Alice says. "Now come on I wanna swipe some macaroons before we leave."

"Alice!"

*****
I watch as Adrien gets to the car, but he turns and gives me a smile that makes me feel warm inside. I'm not going to deny it, tonight was fun. Everything with akumas and Hawkmoth got to be put on hold for just a bit. And yet, there's still a question I've been too scared to ask until now.

"Alice, do you still have feelings for Adrien?" I ask before I can stop myself.

She narrows her eyes me, but then she sighs. "I don't think I ever liked him like that," she says sadly. Even though we were friends, I guess I just liked the thought of him liking me back."

"But, I did love him." she continues. "Only it wasn't exactly in a romantic way. The friend kind of love that was going towards a romantic love, you know?"

We stand in awkward silence for a bit. "What if...he doesn't like me back?" I wonder out loud.

Alice rolls her eyes, but her annoyance quickly fades. "Then he doesn't like you that way. It doesn't mean you're not his friend. Not sure if you could tell, but he probably cares more than you think."

I stare off into the direction the car left, processing Alice's words. And deep down, I know she's right. She puts on a hand on my shoulder.

"Mari, I want you to promise me three things," she says.

"Um, it kinda depends--"

"One," she interrupts. "If you don't win his heart, then you won't beat yourself up over it. Two: if you do win his heart, then you'll take good care of him."

I ask what the third thing is and Alice gives me a look that could kill. She gently lifts my chin up and leans in so that I can hear her whisper.

"Heres the third thing," she says quietly. "You better quit drooling over ads and looking at his schedule because I will not hesitate to tell--"

"Okay okay I will!" I say quickly. "All that stuff is sort of crazy now that I think about it. Alright, I promise to do all of those things."

Alice gives me a satsfied smirk but before she can reply her phone chimes. After skimming over the text she waves goodbye as her mom pulls up.

Once she's gone Tikki is out of my purse and in front of me. "Ugh what a day. But things went a lot better than expected right?"

I nod and my kwami hugs my cheek in happiness. Suddenly a cool drop of water hits my forehead, and it begins to drizzle as the water falls around me. I groan as it starts pouring, the rain feeling like cold needle against my skin.

"So, back to thinking about the miraculous and akumas?" Tikki asks.

I think about it, but then I shrug. "We will," I say. "But, we can enjoy ourselves too right? I'm glad I came today, and I got enjoy it with you and people I care about."

"So Alice is one of your friends, right?" Tikki questions.

To my surprise, I don't hesitate for a second. "Yep! She has been for a while now. She can be kind of harsh at times, but deep down I'm sure she means well!"

I open my purse and Tikki flies in.
"And what about Adrien?" she asks.

"You ask a lot to questions Tikki! I'm gonna take Alice's advice of course. I can't just sit here drawing on his super cute pictures!"

I open my purse and my kwami flies in to avoid being seen. "Why does Alice like the rain so much?" I wonder out loud as my hair starts to soak.

"Marinette!"

"Coming Mom!" I call back, rushing back to the front doors to hug my parents. "Can we go now? I don't want to be out here when it rains any harder."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

161 15 9
When Paris is attacked by a supervillain, the two teenagers Marinette Dupan Cheng and Adrien Agreste gets chosen to be it's protectors. With the miss...
5K 260 21
[COMPLETED] Your life would be pretty boring if it weren't for friends, boys, and - for Miss Marinette Dupin-Cheng - having a super hero alter ego. E...
1K 12 7
Adrien Agreste/ Chat Noir gets abandoned by Ladybug even after she promised never to do so and is also replaced by all of the other superheroes. So f...
65.4K 1.4K 21
When Adrien's unknown twin sister (Lydia) who lives in New York City was forced to move back to Paris due to recent situations. How will she feel whe...