The Gift of the Princess (HTT...

Por PedePaulie

Princess Eira of Torvald is pleased to have found her place in the archipelago. She is doing good work on Ber... Más

Daily Struggles
The Dragon Trappers
Gathering Information
Little Progress
Working it Out
An Old Friend
Dragon Training
An Unexpected Turn
Clashing
Critical Choices
Discovered
Reunion
Fading Fast
New Plan
Recruits and Setbacks
One Step More
Final Preperations
The Brawl
A Stronger Power
A New Chapter
Cut Off
Obstacles
Adjusting
Conversations
Village Life
A Chief's Predicament
Protection
Disappearances
Insights
Getting to the Bottom of Things
The Truth
Figuring Things Out
Striking Back
Roadblocks
Changes of Heart
The Right Way
Hostile Welcome
Working Hard
Differences of Opinion
Options
The Meeting
Brave and Bold
Taming
Conquering Fears
Drago's Plan
Wild One
The Second Attempt
Moving Forward
Pressure Mounting
Lingering Doubts
Taking Charge
Going All Out
Dwindling Chances
Redemption
Taking Sides
Brewing Storm
Fully Prepared
Showdown
New Beginnings
Epilogue

The Search

131 6 10
Por PedePaulie

Chapter 10: The Search

"What do you mean we can't leave?" Hiccup said incredulously.

"We can leave in the morning if that's more convenient," Eira tried cautiously even though she understood Valka's meaning loud and clear.

"I am sorry, children," Valka said, "you have seen the sanctuary, and I cannot allow you to leave."

"We won't tell anyone about it!" Hiccup said.

Valka raised her eyebrows. "Oh, really? You're not going to tell your father you ran into your supposedly dead mother?"

Hiccup scratched the back of his neck. "Well, uh, not if you don't want me to."

"And I should take your word you're a good liar." Valka shook her head. "No, I cannot risk it. If your father found out I was alive, he would never leave him in peace."

"That's probably true," Eira admitted, earning a sharp look from Hiccup.

"You can't just keep us here forever," Hiccup said. "We have lives to lead. I'm going to be chief... eventually."

"You said you did not want to be chief," Valka reminded him. "You are meant for so much more, Hiccup. You can accomplish great things here with me."

"I'm sure I could, but I can't just abandon everyone!"

"Oh, Hiccup, it's for the best."

"Well, I can't stay," Eira interjected. "I'm getting married in a few weeks."

Valka looked at her with mild interest. "Oh, to who?"

"Dagur, the chief of Berserker Island."

"Berserker Island?"

"They're our allies," Hiccup said helpfully.

"Yes, I remember that. I remember being fond of Oswald the agreeable, but I also remember singing the treaty in dragon blood. And isn't Dagur his crazy son?"

Eira frowned. "He's not crazy. He may have lost his way for awhile, but now he's on our side! He loves dragons as much as we do."

Valka did not look impressed. "That is doubtful. In any case, Hiccup is a much better partner for you. The two of you will marry and raise your children to be champions of dragons."

"WHAT?!" Eira and Hiccup exclaimed, giving each other horrified glances.

"Uh, Eira is great and all, but we're just friends!" Hiccup insisted. "I'm in love with someone else."

"And what does love have to do with it?" Valka countered. "Political marriages are formed all the time for the good of the whole. This is no different."

"This is INSANE! Come on, Toothless, we're leaving now." Hiccup angrily stomped towards the Night Fury.

"I wouldn't be too sure," Valka said a little too calmly for the situation. She struck her staff on the ground, and the Bewilderbeast roared. Toothless and Swiftwings both had faraway looks in their eyes.

Hiccup frowned. "What's wrong, bud? Don't you want to go home?" He reached towards Toothless, but the dragon snapped at him. Hiccup recoiled in shock.

"The Bewilderbeast has the ability to control the minds of dragons," Valka explained, "and he will use this ability to prevent you from leaving and protect the sanctuary."

Eira swallowed hard. This woman was serious. "You would really use force to keep us here?"

"If need be. Now, let us head back. The sun has almost set."

Eira cautiously approached Swiftwings, but thankfully she now seemed to be herself. Neither she nor Hiccup dared to attempt an escape on the flight back to the nest.

***

"Eira, where are you?" Ingrid sighed, looking up at the night sky from her spot on a tree stump at the edge of the village.

"I'd like to know that too."

Ingrid gasped and stood up. Asmund watched her with a hard expression. "Well, uh, I'm sure she'll be back soon."

"And what exactly-"

"HICCUP!" the chief's voice boomed.

Ingrid winced. "I'm guessing Stoick just found out Hiccup is gone too." She scurried away before Asmund could interrogate her further. In the middle of the village, she found a fuming Stoick pacing in front of Astrid and Snotlout.

"He just wanted to do a little more research-" Astrid started to say.

"After I specifically told him to stay here?" Stoick roared.

"He didn't think it was a big deal."

"Then why is he still missing?"

"I bet he got lost," Snotlout said.

"Or they found a place to stop for the night," Ingrid suggested. "Eira is with him, so I doubt anything has happened."

"You knew about this too?" Stoick growled. "You better hope they're alright."

Ingrid flinched. "Just give them the night. It's too dark to look for them without getting lost ourselves, and I'm sure they'll be back by morning."

"And if they're not, everyone in this village will be out searching for them!"

Ingrid led out a heavy sigh before exchanging weary glances with Astrid and Snotlout. She still did not feel up to talking with them about what happened that day, but she felt like they were in this together.

***

"Valka is still asleep. Do you think we can leave without the Bewilderbeast waking up?"

Eira considered Hiccup's question. The two of them rose early in the morning after spending the night in makeshift beds in the sanctuary. Swiftwings and Toothless stood near them, rearing to go. However, several wild dragons were already up. "Even if we can, one of the other dragons might alert him. Besides, I think it's better if we can convince Valka to let us go."

Hiccup frowned. "How are we supposed to do that? You heard what she said. She's as stubborn as my dad."

"So are we. I'm sure we'll think of something."

Hiccup looked around the sanctuary, his eyes landing on a red Terrible Terror. He knelt down and held out his hand. The little dragon strode forward and curiously sniffed him before allowing Hiccup to pat his head. "Maybe this guy could send a message for us. I doubt he'd make enough noise to wake anyone up."

"That's a good idea. We could tell someone about our situation and have them follow the Terrible Terror back here." Eira paused. "I'm worried about spooking your mom if a horde of Vikings show up. I think we should only choose one."

Hiccup stood up and nodded. "I think you're right. Who should we tell? My dad is out of the question."

"And Dagur's overreactions won't help either." As much as Eira wanted to see him, she knew he was not the right choice. "We need someone who will remain calm and come alone. Maybe Ingrid?"

"Hiccup!" Valka called from another part of the sanctuary.

The young Vikings froze. "How about you write a letter and choose who to send it to while I distract my mom?"

"Sounds good to me," Eira said. She smiled at the Terrible Terror. "I hope you're feeling cooperative." Now, who should she choose?

***

A good night's sleep did not do much for Stoick's temper. He demanded the dragon riders search for Hiccup and Eira while everyone else prepared for war. Ingrid was given the unfortunate task about updating Berserker Island on the situation. So, she left Krogan with Asmund and flew straight there, all the while going over in her head what exactly she would say to Dagur.

She found Heather first, and the older girl led her to a field where Dagur and Viggo appeared to be in the midst of a heated argument. "Uh, maybe I'll come back later," Ingrid said. When she tried to leave, Heather pulled her back by her shirt.

"Ingrid?" Dagur said brightly, his demeanor instantly changing. "Where's Eira?"

Ingrid chuckled nervously. "Uh, about that..."

"You don't know?" Viggo said calmly.

"Well... she and Hiccup left to talk to Drago last night, but they haven't come back yet."

"WHAT?!" Dagur shouted. "EIRA IS MISSING?!" His hands clasped his head, and he began to pace frantically. "What will we do?!"

"Calm yourself, Dagur," Viggo said.

Dagur spun to face him, giving him a wild look. "How can I be calm when EIRA IS MISSING?! She could be lost or hurt or worse!"

"Stop and think a little. She has Swiftwings there to protect her. Plus, she's with Hiccup and Toothless, and those two have a knack for getting out of trouble. You know that as well as I do."

"Yes, but still!" Dagur groaned before turning on Ingrid. "Why did you let her leave?"

Ingrid lifted her eyebrows. "As if I can control her? She's as persistent as you are when she cares about something."

Dagur smiled despite the situation. "Yes, she will make a great Berserker."

"Why did they go after Drago now?" Heather asked.

"Stoick has gone war crazy," Ingrid explained. "The dragon trappers attacked us, and he thinks it's inevitable that Drago does the same."

Heather's expression darkened. "Then we should prepare as well."

"Not before we find Eira!" Dagur declared. "We need everyone searching for her!"

"All of Berk's dragon riders are already searching for her and Hiccup," Ingrid said. "You three are welcome to join us."

"But-"

"Our ships won't move quickly enough, and our riders aren't ready," Viggo said.

Dagur appeared to think about this for a moment. "Fine! I'll be the one to find her anyway. She can't hide form me! Let's go!"

Viggo glanced at something up and off to the side. "Just a minute. I need to check something out." He left before anyone could object.

"They couldn't have gotten far," Heather said. "If Drago had them, we'd know, right?"

Ingrid shrugged. "Probably. I'm guessing they got lost or distracted by a new island or dragon."

Dagur nodded. "That does sound like them. Are we going or not?"

"What about-"

A large gust of wind broke off the conversation, and everyone watched as Hookfang and Snotlout landed in the middle of the field. "Don't worry, I have arrived!" the Viking declared.

"What are you doing here?" Ingrid asked cautiously.

Snotlout frowned when his eyes fell on her. "Astrid thinks we need to search in pairs, so I'm your partner."

"Lucky me," Ingrid muttered under her breath.

"Is there something going on between you two?" Heather said, looking from Ingrid to Snotlout.

Ingrid plastered on a smile. "No, we're just fine! Are we going now or what?"

"Yes!" said Dagur. "Forget Viggo. Let's go, Heather!"

Ingrid scrambled onto Shadowwhisper and took to the air after Snotlout. Neither of them said a word until they had put Berserker Island behind them. "So, where should we search?" Snotlout asked.

"Wherever you think was best," Ingrid said.

Snotlout gave her a doubtful look. "Oh no. I wouldn't want to mess everything up for you again."

Ingrid winced. "Listen, Snotlout, I'm sorry about the way I acted yesterday. I just-"

"Don't worry about it. I'm over it."

Ingrid frowned. "Are you?"

"That's right! And to prove it, I'll lead us straight to Eira and Hiccup. Come on, Hooky." The Monstrous Nightmare took off, effectively ending the conversation. Ingrid sighed and urged Shadowwhisper to follow close behind. They would have to talk at another time.

***

Eira and Hiccup tried their best to remain calm while Valka took them through her typical day of caring for the dragons at the nest. Eira had to admit, she would have enjoyed spending hours or days at the sanctuary if it were voluntary and there were not a looming war. Hiccup explained the situation back at Berk in an attempt to convince his mother to let them go.

"I am sorry Hiccup," Valka said while washing the back of a Sand Wraith in a small pond. "I do feel for Berk, but I am sure Stoick has the situation under control."

"If you call a preemptive strike that is bound to have casualties on both sides 'under control,' then you're right," said Hiccup. He glanced at Toothless, who seemed content to roll around in the grass with Swiftwings.

"Then it's a good thing you're here where it is safe."

"I'm not so sure Stoick has everything under control," Eira ventured. "He's probably frantic with worry over Hiccup being missing. It's probably very distracting. And even if he makes it through the war, he will be permanently devastated by the loss." Her eyes narrowed at Valka. "Is that what you want? You left him, and now you're taking his son away from him too? Do you even love him?"

"Enough!" Valka roared, her eyes blazing. "I do love him, but my duty is to dragons - and now Hiccup."

"The only reason you're interested in Hiccup now is because you want to train him to be just like you. You wouldn't look at him twice if he were a dragon killer." Eira did not know if this was completely true, but she needed to get a reaction out of Valka. Years of self-justifications had surely taken their toll.

"Eira-" Hiccup started.

"Don't talk about things you know nothing about!" Valka snapped.

Eira lifted her eyebrows. "I know nothing about love and duty? That's where you're wrong. Not long ago, I thought I couldn't be with Dagur because of my duty as a princess. However, I realized that the love between two people strengthens both sides and aids in duty. You don't leave people you love. Not like that. Duty means nothing if reject your loved ones."

Valka's expression softened, and for a second, Eira thought she would concede. Then the dragons start making an uproar, and many of them crowded around the entrance to the cave that left outside the nest. Valka's eyes narrowed. "Impossible."

"What's going on?" Hiccup said worriedly.

"Intruder!" Valka shouted just before a purple blur shot out of the cave. Sigurd the Skrill growled and shot lightning bolts at the approaching dragons. One of the dragons managed to get Viggo off his back and pinned him to the ground. This enraged Sigurd, making him more violent.

A loud roar from the Bewilderbeast stopped the chaos. Sigurd froze mid-air, his eyes glazed over. "Some welcome you have here," Viggo said with a weak chuckle, still underneath the foot of a Snafflefang.

"Who are you?" 

"I am Viggo Grimborn. Who are you?"

Valka's eyes grew wide. "Grimborn? The leader of the dragon hunters?"

"Former," Hiccup said. "Viggo, this is... my mother."

"Ah, that's why she hates me. Do you mind?" Viggo motioned to the Snafflefang.

Valka tapped her staff on the ground, and the dragon moved off Viggo. She eyed him suspiciously as he stood. "No, it's because you're an enemy to dragons."

"He's not anymore," Eira insisted. "He's changed!"

"I don't believe it," Valka said.

"Then let me prove it to you," Viggo said, turning to Sigurd. "Let me go to my dragon."

"NO! I don't know what kind of abuse you put this Skrill through to gain its obedience, but it ends now. He will remain here under the protection of the Bewilderbeast."

"Bewilderbeast?" Viggo finally seemed to notice the giant dragon glowering at him. "Is that-"

"The King of Dragons?" said Hiccup. "That's right."

Viggo slowly approached the dragon, halting when he growled. "It is an honor to meet you." He bowed at the waist, and the Bewilderbeast studied him carefully. "Please, allow me the chance to prove my intentions are pure."

The Bewilderbeast made a sharp sound, and Sigurd suddenly advanced on Viggo, electricity dancing between his wings. "Are you sure you would never hurt this dragon?" Valka said calmly. "Even if he attacks you?"

 Viggo looked into Sigurd's eyes. "I will  not." He splayed his hands and held them at his side. "You know I cannot hurt you, my friend. Do what you must."

"Viggo, get out of there!" Hiccup called.

Eira shook her head. "No." This was a test, and he had to pass.

Sigurd continued to move closer to Viggo, who remained still and relaxed. Just before he was about to strike, the Bewilderbeast made another sound and the strange look left the Skrill's eyes. Viggo smiled. "Feeling better, friend?" Sigurd lowered his head and pushed it into Viggo's hand. The Bewilderbeast made a grunt of approval.

"It seems he has accepted you," Valka said, though she retained her hard gaze. "You may stay... for now. Onto business. How did you find this place?"

"I followed a Terrible Terror."

"Excuse me?"

"We've trained them to send messages," Hiccup explained.

"I sent one to Viggo," Eira said. "I thought he might be able to change your mind about some things."

Valka gave her a look of disapproval. "We'll talk about that later. For now..." She turned back to Viggo. "Are you sure you were not followed?"

"I am positive," Viggo said.

"I will make sure." Valka stormed into the cave with Cloudjumper by her side.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

34.9K 889 14
It's been five years since Hiccup changed the minds of Berk, and everyone is happier for it. It's a more peaceful way of life, and it opens the doors...
1.7K 23 5
Hiccup had won the honor of killing an agressive Monstrous Nightmare. Since, he wouldn't kill a dragon, his only option: To run away and leave Berk f...
298K 7.3K 34
Hiccup, a boy living in the village Berk. Being a weakling yet the son of the chief. Y/n, a girl flying on her Night Fury. Loving to be free. Flying...
83.7K 1.5K 22
! Set In Race To The Edge ! Y/N Jorgenson had went missing long ago during the ages where dragons where hated by every Berkian, after Y/n's disappear...