Breaking the Barrier (Saitama...

Par SpiritBloodDragon

Holy god I have horrible story descriptions forgive me Saitama and Tatsumaki: two completely different people... Plus

The encounter
Mosquitoes Suck
Registration
First Hero Task
The Younger Sister, and the Crowd
The House of Evolution
Baldy Backstory
The Bang that went Boom
Thank y'all super duper much!
Haze
Seafood Situation
Holy Moly
Unity
First of Many?
Break
Slaughter
Rebellion
Prophecy
Resolution
Routine
The Ruffian's "Relaxing" Resort
The Eye Before
The Storm
Who Wanted to Be / Emotions
Quick apology
Does it even count as a date?
Influence
What is this?
Humility
Dueling Patience
Admittance
Hole
Questioning
Reveal?
The Hunt (You can skip this if you want cause it's literally only plot)
Discovery
Immoral
Reveal.
Honesty
Martial Arts...They Suck
Regret
Satisfaction
Preparation
Bit More Emotion
You gave them to me, you know
Plan?
Split
Deduction
What is a monster?
Boring Battle
Chief
Spark
Despair
Heroes
Villains
Three Words
Epilogue: And so, Life Goes On.

Climb

926 22 23
Par SpiritBloodDragon

Full transparency, the reason it's another of these chapters is because I felt "hey i did one of these for tats, it'd be weird if i didn't do it for the protagonist of the damn anime" you feel?

but yeah yeehaw

~~~~~

Climbing isn't easy. It isn't easy in the slightest, if you would even think it is.

Or, I should say, most forms of climbing aren't easy. Physically climbing, that used to be hard. Of course, once I started training, climbing up rock things like the little grips at the gym wasn't hard anymore, and neither was actually climbing. Maybe I should've used that while I was training. Y'know, get a little bit of variety in there instead of just my normal push-ups, sit-ups, squats, and running. Who knows, maybe I would've become stronger.

Nah, that wasn't the goal in the first place. It's not like I need to get stronger anyways.

So, even as I walk through the murky waterways, using my cape to cover through everything, I realize something about climbing. Something very specific about climbing, honestly, something that I wouldn't expect to figure out especially considering how I haven't been in school for ages now.

Climbing, at least, used as a metaphor, is used way too often to really be useful anymore. You ever notice that whenever you're in English class reading 1984 or Wonder, two books that I was assigned to read in class but never got to because I kept falling asleep while I was reading them? Or, you know, reading some of those generic poems written a few thousands years ago? Actually, scratch that. Most poems that I've had to read in class were written in like, the last decade, by supposed role models that were activists but people that I couldn't find myself caring about.

Anyways. Poems, right? That's what I was talking about? I'm pretty sure that's what I was talking about.

No, it was climbing. It was climbing that I was just talking about. You know, most forms of climbing aren't easy and all that. I've gotten good at rock climbing, I've gotten good at climbing stairs instead of using the elevator, I've gotten good at climbing down ladders whenever I need to go into those super secret bunker areas that you always find that James Bond villain-like lair in. In most things, I think I've gotten good at climbing.

Now, ever since I met Tats, I've gotten more...connected to the world, in a sense. At least, she said that, and I quote, "You used to be a hermit that probably never saw the light of day. If I met you on the sidewalk, I'd have thought you'd have lived under a rock your whole life." And that's true. Granted, she said it in a teasing way, without actually being angry, but it's true.

I have, like, a flip phone that I only have because the Hero Association gave one to me, I think? And also a phone that's probably older than the dinosaurs themselves, as Fubuki put it. It's not like I really need to read up on the news, right?

Anyways, I eventually had to get a computer. It looks so...weird, but I guess it fits. When I became friends with Genos, and eventually by extension of both Genos and Tats, Fubuki, they urged me to get a computer. At least, if not for my sake, Fubuki's so that she wouldn't feel like she was visiting a retirement home by seeing how stale and dry my place was. Kind of rude, but meh. Not like it was the end of the world. So I got a computer. A gaming one, for some reason. I don't know, honestly. It had some cool colors, so I chose it. I didn't even know it was a gaming laptop until Tats read it out to me on the receipt.

Now, what I'm about to say will not make sense to most people. Is that what people call a meme? Inside jokes from people with too much time that they spend on the internet? I read a tweet about that. Twitter's a weird place.

Honestly, my mind's everywhere and nowhere right now. I feel like I'm just spewing stuff on a page and hoping it'll end up making sense. But I have no idea what else to do while I walk through this maze after killing that monster thingy, so this is what I'm doing with my time. Good enough, right?

But, anyways, I feel like I've been on a climb myself. The past three years, obviously, but past that, I think even more than ever.

After all, I think, at least in a way that isn't involving my body changing, I've been changed. It's not that I changed myself. It's more that...I've been changed, and I think I like the way that I'm becoming.

Now, would I be able to get by, would I be able to just live out life without the people I have in my life? Would I be able to live the life I've led the three years I worked out daily?

...Yes and no.

Obviously, which doesn't seem too obvious, now that I think about it...I'd be able to live. I have a hunch feeling that somewhere out there, there's some form of me who lives without the people in my life, probably still living in my old apartment...God, I miss that apartment, actually.

That's not the point, though. The point is, even though I'd be able to survive and keep living that same old lifestyle...I don't think I'd be as...content with my life as I am with the one I have now. Does that sound philosophical? It sounds lame. Actually, nah. It sounds boring. I shouldn't have said that. Makes me feel old.

But, I think that, the way that I've grown from the people I've met, I think I'm happier than I would've been. Yeah, sure, finding someone who could be enough to challenge me and bring me to the brink of death in a fight would be pretty damn cool. Feeling my heart race from a fight and feeling blood spurt out of me like when I fought Crablante? That'd be sick.

Maybe, though, that's not the only thing I need in my life. After all, I'm a hero for fun. It's not like I have to fight life-or-death for the hobby that's technically turning into a job.

I think I'd be satisfied living a life with the people that I talk to daily. Genos, Fubuki, and Tats. The three of them are like my own little family. Especially since, y'know, haven't talked to my family in ages.

I think...maybe making the climb, in a way, to have them in my life, would be worth it.

I sighed, looking up at the pile of rocks in front of me.

I guess I should've mentioned that there were two other people with me. Well, one person, and one monster. Whether or not they were talking, I don't know. I've just been following them. I think one of them's actually one of the heroes. Flushy...floop? Nah, I don't think he looks like a toilet-based hero.

Well, I'm technically nicknamed the Caped Baldy, so what can I say about nicknames and whatever the heroes themselves actually do? I'm not one to talk.

There's a lot of things to unpack, mainly with my nickname, but I guess that's not the main focus of this entire Monster Association thing, is it?

Back to climbing.

"Oy, Caped Baldy," Flushy Floop called out to me, waving me over. "You think you can move some of this real quick?"

"Move some of what?" I prompted, boredly yawning. "Need me to climb over and try finding something? Or should I just punch it away?"

The ninja shook his head in disdain, though he definitely didn't look like he was in a position to speak. Completely covered in rock other than his head, I'm surprised that his face seemed to remain mostly clean. I don't know why he didn't decide to use his sword to cut through the rock. Or can he not reach it? I don't know.

"No, don't. You're going to damage my sword or something," he sighed. Sometimes, listening to other heroes was so difficult. But I learned. Even if it could get frustrating sometimes.

Frustrating, huh...

/// - Memories

I'd like to say that a puppy dog in the form of a cyborg whose main purpose was vengeance following you around would be cool. I'd like to say that having somebody who'd probably be the perfect anime protagonist being one of the closest people in your life would be really, really interesting.

Yet, when you're in the same role as Master Roshi in the...old, typically bald mentor to the protagonist, it's oddly less interesting than I thought it'd be. Especially when the cool abilities that Genos learns is something that I can literally not teach him. What am I supposed to teach him, anyways?

What do you teach someone when you don't know what to teach? What do I tell him? To do push-ups? That obviously wouldn't work, unless robot muscles grow the same as human arm muscles. To run? That wouldn't work, either.

It gets pretty frustrating, trying to teach someone who you literally cannot coach.

But it gets pretty fun, seeing how he can try to learn from me anyways. I don't know how, but sometimes I must say some things that must seem really smart, at least, if him jotting down notes at Mach 4 would indicate in the slightest.

"Take me as your disciple!" He requested, though with his emotion, it was nearly a demand, as if he needed it.

Tornado seemed super...surprised, almost appalled at him. He'd met me, like what, 20 seconds ago, and now he was pledging allegiance to me like I was the flag of the United States in an American school. Even though he was on the verge of death, he still seemed pretty hell-bent on being my student.

"Why would he take YOU as his disciple? Look at him!" She spat coldly, annoyed with him. Clearly. Weirdly enough, she seemed more annoyed with him than I was. I shrugged.

"Sure."

Remembering it, that was pretty damn funny to me, but back then, I'm pretty sure I didn't even realize that Tats had said anything about it.

It was kind of an inconvenience. Not too much of one, but it was still an inconvenience, you know? Tats and I were supposed to head to the Hero Association to get me registered. Though, looking back, I don't think it would've mattered whether I went the day I met Genos or the day after. It probably would've resulted in the exact same thing.

The real inconvenience came when Genos actually came to learn from me as a student.

Now, it shouldn't ever come as a surprise (it did to Fubuki, for some reason) that I was not the best student. So, what happens when a really bad student is put in place to teach a really good student?

Exactly what you'd expect. You'd fail. Except for one thing. Smart people...They're really smart, you know? But sometimes, they can't read the room. They aren't...street smart? That's the wrong way to put it. Tunnel-visioned?

Close enough.

What I mean is that sometimes, them being too focused results in them being weak in another place. You know, like how some characters in fighting games are strong, but their attacks are really slow, or vice versa in strength and speed.

That's sort of what applies to Genos. The weird part comes in the fact that, even with how smart he is with being a cyborg and all, he...doesn't notice that I can't teach him. I can't teach him in a physical sense, in the very thing that he asked me to train him in.

What I did try to teach him, though, even if it came to him indirectly, was valuing himself some more. Or, at least, valuing the thought process that came with self-preservation.

That's the cool thing that I learned, I guess. How to...deal with other people? In a way that won't absolutely wreck them?

I mean, sure, you could say that about Tats or Fubuki, but...they're...they're better at dealing with social signs than Genos. They can read the room a little better. Much better, honestly.

So, in a way, trying to teach Genos was trying to teach myself how to...be more normal in talking to people, especially with my...with the way I speak.

Anyways.

Genos is already physically strong enough. But if he risks everything on every single battle, it's bound to go wrong sometime.

I think I came across that for the actual first time with the Deep Sea King. Yeah, I know. He'd danced with death a lot before that. Carnage Kabuto, Mosquito Girl, the meteor (did he do something to the meteor? I can't remember for the life of me). All of that stuff.

I just...guess I didn't feel anything when it came to Genos so casually throwing away his life like that. At least, not until then.

"M-Master..." Genos whispered, his voice weak as the rest of his body continued to slowly melt.

Again, like with most things, at the time, it really didn't mean too much to me. It's like politics. You hear an opinion from a weird source, even if it's literally seeing it happen, but without context, it could be the totally wrong interpretation of the facts.

"Genos, is this Sea-Freak the one who did this to you?" I sighed, scratching his forehead. "Give me a minute. I'll kill this monster real quick."

Which I did, obviously. I don't even remember that, actually. How did that even go?

Well, it's not important. Point is, he's dead and Genos lived.

It was learning how willing Genos was to give his life for another person. I'd never even considered it before as a possibility, especially not for Genos.

That's not to say that Genos is a selfish person. I just thought that with how damn suicidal he was before the Deep Sea King, he'd be more inclined to give himself up again for...well, himself.

It was learning about that little girl that had me interested in Genos a little more. I'm pretty sure standing to take the attack instead of, you know, literally any other move to stop the acid was a stupid move, but hey, I wasn't there.

Learning that he was so willing to lay his life down had me consider something, though.

Would I ever be willing to do something like that?

It's a dumb question, since I probably wouldn't ever lose my life trying to take a hit for someone.

But..

Would I?

"Oy, Baldy."

Huh? What was that? That wasn't me, right?

"Baldy!"

/// - Present

"Baldy!" I heard the voice call out again, and slip out of my thoughts. Was I just standing here the whole time?

"Ope," I blinked, looking towards wherever that sound came from.

"Here." I turned towards the stone wall, before looking down. Oh, that's it. You think that, as an S-Class hero, that other S-Class heroes would have more of a presence, right? Or at least, you'd have a heightened sense of...awareness? [He means perception.]

Yeah, I haven't noticed anything like that. It's always the same thing, and it doesn't feel like I'm more or less aware of the people around me. Not figuratively. I mean, like, their literal presence in front of me. Or is it just because the guy I'm talking about is a literal ninja?

He's...he's still there. He hasn't found a way out of the rocks. He hasn't forced himself out of there yet, and this...flashlight monster thing hasn't done anything to try stopping the two of us. Well, it tried to hurt us for a moment, but it's not like anything came out of that even happening. Other than me losing some jewels, but again, that's for another time. [He felt the exact opposite for those jewels.]

Why do I feel like there's something...trying to correct me? Telling me how to feel?

It's probably just me, isn't it?

God, it sucks when you have that itch in the back of your head like something's watching you and making remarks on whatever you're doing. [mAkInG rEmArKs oN wHaT yOu'Re dOiNg.]

Anyways.

"So, you need something?" I yawned, stretching out a little bit. "Maybe I should move a rock or something? Or do you have it covered?"

He grunted for a moment, as if he was trying to shift around, before grunting again while sparing a glance towards me, "Give me a moment. If I can't do it in the next five minutes, do it, but that's a worst-case scenario. Understand?"

"Fine, fine," I muttered as I tried getting some earwax out of my ear. "So, what do you need me to do right now? Just stand here?"

"Yeah, yeah," he scoffed, and at this point, even I could tell he just wanted me to shut up, which I'm fine with. "Just go back to talking to yourself in your mind or whatever." Talking isn't my strong suit anyways, so I'm not annoyed at that.

I sighed, looking at the various walls. Do I go back to the climbing metaphor that I was building up earlier, or do I just try to make something new to get my point across?

Look. I don't really know what I'm doing here. I feel so...out of place. Especially looking back on who I was before all of this. Before I started dating Tats, before I started really looking into things and...feeling actual emotions. It feels so weird looking at me and realizing...I'm, like, barely the physically alive but emotionally and psychologically dead person I was before. But I don't think that's a bad thing.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm a stronger person than I used to be because of them. Genos. Fubuki. Tats. All of them.

Now...I'll admit, when I first met Fubuki, I kinda...didn't feel much. I mean, I felt a little stressed out, if that makes sense, because she was Tats's sister. Even if I'd learned to be friends with Tats, caring for people I didn't know that she did...it was a little weird. Like when you're introduced to a friend of a friend, if that makes sense. I've never had to be introduced to a friend of a friend before, but I'm guessing that's what that's like.

But, at the time, she was sort of everything that I wasn't. Right?

She seemed...more hyper aware of her emotions than anyone, at least out of the four of us. Her powers were cool, but without trying to be a douche, they weren't overwhelmingly powerful like Tats's. Fubuki even surrounded herself with a ton of people. Willing to spend a bunch of money on jewelry and clothes. I could keep going. She was practically a socialite.

In practically every way, shape and form, Fubuki and I were exact opposites of each other. The only thing that the two of us really had in common was knowing Tats,, and that's it.

But, just like Genos, the two of us had to deal with each other, if not for ourselves, then for the sake of Tats not trying to turn the city upside down if the two of us got into an argument or something.

/// - Memories

It didn't make sense. It didn't make sense in any way, how the hell Fubuki and I ended up getting along. Sometimes, even now, it doesn't make sense.

For most of the time that we knew each other, it was...awkward, to say the least. Honestly, if I tried to look back on all the times that I'd talked to Fubuki directly, it'd be pretty much empty up until...like, after fighting Boros. That's when I really started to talk to her more often, especially since she'd gotten close to Genos.

The time we went to the mall, the times that they'd come over to hang out, and that one time that we went over to Tetsuya's to hang out. We haven't gone there in a while, now that I think about it. I've gotta go check on him soon. Who knows, maybe he's got a new deal.

I hadn't gotten to know Fubuki for quite some time. Hell, I don't even think I've had any time to actually talk to Fubuki just one-on-one. Maybe that's for the best, though. She probably knows some things about Genos that I don't want to know, I probably know some things about Genos she doesn't want to know, and the same goes when it comes to whatever we know about Tats.

I'll have to eventually talk to her after all of this is over, but that's...well, that's for after we save this kid.

But, it's thanks to her that everyone seems more...social. It's not something that's really direct to me, especially since the two of us don't talk as much to each other as we do to Genos and Tats, but I think she impacted them just as much as I did. She's done just as much to help us get closer together as anyone, even if she isn't vocal about it.

That's one of the biggest things I learned about her. That, even if she feels discouraged from a wall in front of her, it doesn't mean she'll run away from it. It's something I've needed to take on in my life, anyways. At least, in my school life. I haven't really had anything that scared me into running away, but I have avoided things if I thought they were unnecessary.

Like social contact. She's a real social butterfly too. The...Blizzard Bunch, was it called? Yeah, that. Even if it was so that she could get strength around her and become stronger from it, I certainly wouldn't have tried to contact people for any purpose if I could solve the problem on my own.

I can't overstate it enough.

The two of us are complete opposites of each other in almost every way.

But that's why she changed me in the way that she did. I think she made me more flexible to doing things that I wasn't used to doing, and since she was able to bring even Genos along with her antics, I guess that convinced me to go along with it, until I felt like I could do it myself.

She was the one who ended up being a large reason why Tats and Genos are so much more active with other people and less...hostile towards people they're unfamiliar with. Yeah, who knows, I probably helped out with that too, but she was way more social with me in the first place and far more prone to go for a method that ended up with the least amount of people either being hurt or least amount of people unhappy, even if it meant that she wasn't always the one who ended up content.

Out of the four of us, her voice was the most soft-spoken most of the time, the only exceptions being whenever Genos or Tats did something that seemed unnecessarily difficult, or whenever I just...refused to join her group, or whatever. I still don't really get why she's pushing for it, but I'll live.

And in influencing Genos and Tats, she influenced me too. Hell, now I'm actually asking people to hang out and being the one to strike up conversations. Whatever happened to my 20 word limit?

That thing's probably long gone by now, especially with how much more active I feel than ever.

A bunch of that's probably because of Tats, but I can't imagine that it'd be as it is now without Fubuki's help, either.

/// - Present

"Okay, finally," I sighed, letting the rock down before hearing a frustrated grunt. "Wait, did I miss something?"

Flying Fish scoffed before looking at me indignantly, "Well, clearly, you idiot. My arm's still here. Or did you miss that?"

"Can't you get it out yourself or something?" I furrowed my eyebrows at him, seeing him lower down onto his knees before trying to pull at something, probably pulling his arm out. I think.

"My arm got stuck under something heavily," he spoke in a matter-of-fact tone, but I sort of just stopped hearing him once I realized that tone. I think he said something about moving things away, though, so that's what I'll do.

Huh? What's this...cube-looking thingy? It's not a cool expensive jewel, I don't think. It's heavier than diamonds, I think, and its color doesn't seem clear or distinct enough to be worth anything. Well, I guess if I can't recognize what it is, then it probably isn't worth too much.

I tossed it to the side. It slammed down really hard. I didn't put that much force into how hard I pushed, right? At least, I don't think that I did. Either way, it got tossed to the side, and now I have to listen to him speak a little more. He reminds me of that one NPC in a video game that you have to talk to. You know, the one that;s super edgy but also super cool so you want to know his backstory or something like that.

I've been spending too much time with King, haven't I?

The point is, I'm one of those people that skips all that dialogue to get to the story. Exposition and all that doesn't really matter to me in the first place.

But, I guess exposition and literature stuff like that doesn't matter when the rocks in front of you are instantly lifted. I heard a cracking noise, but it definitely wasn't Fighting Flu's arm; he was able to get his arm out of the rocks. That being said, he definitely didn't get his sword out.

He held out his sword to me, and in an instant, I saw the source of his frustration. His sword, the one that I had to be so delicate for, the one that he was telling me not to be forceful in moving the rocks because he was afraid of breaking it. Yeah, that sword?

It was broken. Like, the top half of the blade that you slice people with was completely torn off, and the remaining part was pretty jagged. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed. Well, at least, as pissed as an edgy ninja who wants to hide their true emotions would seem to be.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the thing that lifted the rocks definitely wasn't someone like me, who just is really strong. The rocks would've fallen apart. Maybe it's Drive Knight, since Genos told me about his weird transformations, like Gold or whatever.

So, it's either Drive Knight or Genos, since Metal Knight isn't showing up, or it's someone with psychic powers. And, even though I was just praising Fubuki, I don't think she has enough power to lift that much rubble up. It's either Tats or another psychic monster. And, if there's a psychic monster, Tats is probably dealing with it.

Meaning she's up there. Cool. Now I know where to find her. The trouble is how the three of us are going to get out of this place without falling. Well, I could jump, but I'm probably going to hurt the ninja in the process.

"Hey..." I heard the monster stutter out, fear seeping into its voice as it backed away. I look at it, and see it pointing towards a hole in the wall, one that Flapping Fox was walking towards to peer into. "That's kind of weird...I can't see anything."

I planned on responding to it, but the first things that popped into my mind slipped out first, "For something named 'Instakill,' you'd think that it wouldn't be such a waste of our time..."

Faux Function scoffed, brushing some hair out of his face, "Are you making a fool of my Instakill?"

I muttered, shooting him a look as I shook off some dirt from my forehead, "If it was going to break anyways, we should've broken the wall from the beginning."

"Out of the question."

Huh? How does that make any sense?

...

I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.

I turned back to the monster, who, at this point, had continued to peer inwards, yet it looked like nothing was changing. Federal Funds shook his head, trying to look in himself, but from how I was seeing nothing, I'm not sure if he'd be able to either.

"Hey, weird creature," he muttered, clearly still annoyed about his sword. "Light it up for us." Sighing, the monster closed its eye before opening to reveal a flashlight. It shone its light into the void, yet nothing happened again.

"Huh...that's weird..." it muttered to itself. "So the searchlight isn't working...what about the thermal tracker?" Another click. "Nothing. How about...x-ray?" Another click. "Still not working." It closed its eye again before looking in my direction.

"Hey, can I climb on your head real quick? I want to see if this one'll work," it suggested, and I rolled my eyes, believing that it wouldn't be too bad.

It was disgusting. Maybe it was because I didn't notice anything before, because I was standing so much taller than it. But monsters, at least this one, smelled goddamn rancid. I'm going to have to say that this was not a decision that I should've made in the long run. This light better work.

"Okay, so this one's...recessed lighting..." it muttered, opening its eye again, and as we peered into the darkness, guess what? There was nothing there. It didn't work. For just a moment, I felt truly obligated to kill a monster.

As we stepped into the hole, I heard a deep, grumbling voice pop into my head, Let me see if you are worthy vessels to bestow my power upon. Place your hand upon that box and make a fervent wish. If you are worthy, you shall gain power from it.

But if not... you will face confiscation.

Confiscation? Like taxes and stuff like that?

"Did you guys say that lame line or is it just me?" I asked. They shook their heads.

Feeble Fuel hypothesized, putting a hand on his chin as his eyes darted around frantically, "If it's not by sound...then it's by telepathy, right?"

The monster stuttered out, "I-I-I-I don't really g-get it, but h-he's saying that thing's dangerous, right?!"

Dangerous? That cube? It doesn't look really dangerous. So...it has to be a trap, right? Or, at least, that's what all those action movies I've been binging the last few months have to say about things that people are told to touch.

I decided to just see if I could discover its identity, and the first person that comes to mind is the thing that I've been meaning to hunt, "Wait, are you the Monster King?! Show yourself!"

Honestly, for all I know, I could've already beat the Monster King down. I could've literally told myself that I beat it down already for the sake of remembering, and I'd still forget.

Oh, okay. So...there's a black hole sort of thing behind us now? Well, not really. It's nowhere near strong enough to even pull me in a little bit.

Huh? Oh, cool. There's a person in there. Must be a teleporting thing, then.

"Oh, good!" His voice came through that portal thing, his foot landing softly on the rocks beneath us. "I made it in time." His voice seems...unusually calm. Like this is a daily basis for him. Like there's nothing out of the ordinary. Does this guy teleport all the time like this?

Wait a minute...his uniform. It's really cool. There are a bunch of scratches on it that look like scars, and his shoulder pads are really armored.

"You haven't accepted the deal yet, right?" He asked, lowering his...sunglasses? It's a...visor, maybe?

"Huh?" I couldn't help asking; it was such an odd way to start the conversation. He had some text on the center of his chest in a small circle, but it was in that really small font that literally nobody but somebody with laser vision could probably read. "Is he a hero?" I wondered out loud, and I couldn't help but feeling like I'd heard about him from somewhere. I mean, I remember hearing his description from somewhere, since he looked exactly like this one guy that somebody told me about. I just can't remember where the hell I heard about it.

He continued, completely ignoring my question, "Did you guys touch this?" He bent down a little to grab the cube that I'd picked up. There's a little surprise that hits me, since I'm pretty sure that that thing weighed a little bit. Not sure how much, but it seemed like a little.

I guessed I could just respond with my own question, "Who're you, old man?" I heard the monster ask its own questions, but I wasn't paying enough attention to get what it asked.

Flamboyant Fee gained a darker look in his eyes, though, clearly wary of the new guy, though he doesn't look too frightening to me, "What if we did touch it?" I thought about just straight up telling him we did, because, y'know, I did, but I hold off on it, somewhat curious on wherever the hell this conversation is going to lead to.

He muttered to himself, solemnity coming across him, "So you touched it without knowing, huh..." he shrugged, taking it as a good sign, I guess, before spinning it around on his finger like it was a basketball, "This cube is kind of like a transmitter. Touching it distorts space and allows for communication with 'Him.'"

He directed his attention towards the cube, "And I've been going around picking up these things since they're scattered all over. As a hobby of mine, sort of."

Suddenly, the voice that was talking to us telepathically started to boom in everyone's ears, Blast! You're Blast, aren't you?!

I don't know why it was being so goddamn loud to all of us, considering how it was talking to, you know, one person and one person only with that message.

Blast lightly chuckled, before tossing the cube behind him as it fell into this weird portal that was booming with electricity while casually smirking, "Sorry for interrupting your chat."

Wait.

Wait a minute. Blast?

Fascinating Field spoke up first, clearly more surprised than I was, "Blast? You're...you're Blast?"

He nodded, turning towards the ninja, "Yep. And you're S-Class Rank 13, Flashy Flash, right?" Oh, Flashy Flash. That's his name. Well, I'm pretty sure I was pretty close on the other guesses, and I probably called him the right name several times. Cool. "What're you doing so far below ground?"

Flashy Flash got a sort of fiery look in his eyes, like he was itching to fight. Do all heroes have to fight each other? Is this some sort of ritual that I keep missing out on?

He dug his feet into the ground pretty quickly, before launching himself towards Blast in an instant, clearly trying to kick him. Is he really going to take on the number 1 hero? I'm pretty sure that's not how that works.

Yet, just as quickly, I watch Blast sidestep the attack like it was nothing before heading over to Flashy Flash's left, putting his hand on his right shoulder while encouraging in a slightly patronizing tone, "Calm down a sec." I see a bead of sweat drip down Flashy Flash's forehead, clearly surprised as to how his attack was evaded so simply.

Okay, so Blast wasn't trying to fight. Maybe it's just a ninja habit or something? I mean, Speed O'Sound Sonic seems to like fighting whoever he comes across, and he's a ninja.

As Flashy Flash put his foot down, realizing the situation he was in, and probably how outclassed he was (though, can't blame him. He isn't too fast, but he's fast.), he started to listen to Blast, who lifted his hand off his shoulder, "Time's flowing slower in this space than outside. We should get out of here quick. I'll take you guys to the surface."

I blinked, for a moment, before grabbing his attention, "There's an exit? Didn't you warp in or something?"

"Yeah, sorta," he nodded, before gazing at the monster. "More importantly...why is this here with you? It doesn't seem like your prisoner." He met the monster's gaze, who instantly started to cower at the sight of the supposed strongest hero.

I pointed at it casually, explaining the situation, "Oh, she's our tour guide and flashlight. She's been pretty useful." I click one of her horns a few times, showing that her eye lights up like a flashlight.

She spoke up, somewhat emboldened to speak since I could, "I-I also light up when I'm surprised!"

"Hm..." Blast hummed before looking at me and narrowing his eyes, "You're Tatsumaki's boyfriend, right? Hero named 'Caped Baldy?'" He lightly smirked, as if interrogating me.

I blinked, before nodding, "Yeah, why do you ask?"

"You're oddly low in rank, especially for somebody like her to respect you, let alone date you," he observed. Am I low in rank? I don't think I am. Being in S-Class is pretty high up, but I guess Tats being second in rank only to him is another thing.

"You think so?" I went along with his words awkwardly. I don't know why, even though I know Tats's parents aren't around anymore, but it feels like I'm talking to the dad of sorts. At least, that's how he's talking to me. You know, the talk with your girlfriend's dad, or whatever movies have taught me about it.

"I know so," he nodded firmly. "Especially the strength I'm feeling from you. You're...a different breed. You're odd. Yet, you don't rise up in rank."

"Meh. Hero stuff is more of a hobby for me, it was Tats that ended up getting me to sign up for this stuff," I explained, shrugging briefly, Flashy Flash sending me a surprised look as he heard me and Blast converse so casually.

"A hobby, huh," he chuckled lightly. "Well, I guess I consider this stuff a hobby too." He turned his head to the side, as if he was deep in thought, before turning back to us.

"Well, I'll take you guys to the surface now," he nodded to us, before his fists started to glow and connect in some sort of infinity symbol, as the same black-hole looking thing that he'd came in here with surrounded all of us. "I'm gonna check on you eventually, but for now, give my regards to Sitch and Tatsumaki!"

I blinked, before lightly chuckling as I registered his words.

So he's kind of like me.

Give his regards to Tats, huh?

/// - Memories

Out of everyone I have in my life, I'd have to say that the one that affected me the most would be Tats. Before, it was that boy who was willing to sacrifice himself for me in middle school from my bullies, but that's another thing.

Where would I even be had she not ended up being there that day, had she not convinced me to join the Hero Association, had she not been...been such a

horrible drunk? Where would we, where would I be today without her having affected me so heavily?

It sounds really corny, but if I were being completely honest, I'd probably be nothing like who I am right now if it weren't for her. I probably wouldn't have been closer friends with Genos had he not helped me with my emotions about Tats. I definitely wouldn't have met Fubuki, since she's her sister and all that.

I wouldn't have been in the hero world, I wouldn't have fought Boros, I wouldn't have gotten to even meet people like Suiryu or Bang or Mumen Rider.

I would be much less happy as a person, probably.

But, as with everything and with everyone, there had to be some sort of negative interaction, right?

That was probably the first interaction we had, honestly.

She smacked her forehead before continuing, even though I was pretty much just talking, "Look, I'm with the Hero Association. If you wanna be known, just join the Association. I'll make sure you're put into S-Class too."

Looking back on it, I realize something that probably should've not have happened. She told me she was in the Hero Association. I then told her that I had no idea what the Hero Association was, which was true. I hadn't heard of it until then.

"You sure, Tatsu?" I asked.

Even though 'Tats' came from that nickname, I'm not sure what stopped me from calling her that before. Maybe I felt like I was taking it from somewhere, but I'm not sure.

"Look, we can deal with that after we make sure you aren't injured. Also, wanna get something to eat one of these days to talk about it? Pretty sure it'd be better if we talked about it over food," I offered, feeling my stomach grumble despite it not being loud enough to be heard.

Okay, looking back at that, I have no idea what got me to say that. Like, even if I was hungry, I didn't think I was that bad at talking to people, and I definitely didn't think that I'd be so...what's the way that Genos would put it...socially inept, that I'd just pretty much ask someone I just met out to eat.

And even if I want to date Tats nowadays and I want to be with her, like in a relationship, at least, that was not the line of thinking I went for back then. Realistically, I probably just wanted to eat, but at that point, I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity. Was I just being romantic without even knowing it, or were my words romantic and it didn't match what I meant to say?

Aren't those the same?

A few moments passed before I realized that she was just deep in thought, probably just because I'd said some weird things that really didn't make sense for a first meeting.

I ended up speaking again, just to keep on going, "So you're a professional hero? That must mean a lot of people think a lot of you." At this point, I just knew that, while I wasn't even into the conversation anymore, I was just continuing because it'd be way too awkward otherwise.

Okay, looking back, that was probably the weirdest thing I'd done in quite some time. Save a girl who I thought I was a kid, the same girl I'd end up dating, mind you, treat her like she was literally just a way for me to get food, and then just made conversation only because I didn't want to be awkward, not because I wanted to make conversation.

In other words, I had a pretty bad impression of Tats when I first met her. Well, not bad, necessarily. It was just that I didn't like her. I thought she was pretty bratty, I thought she had too much pride, and I thought she was too angry all the time. Which, of course, led to her being arrogant.

There's, as some people might think of it, a fine line between arrogance and confidence. Arrogance is baseless. Confidence has something backing it up. Tats, of course, definitely did have power to back her words up, but back then, her words usually couldn't be backed up by any power, whether it be hers or mine.

But, soon enough, she ended up becoming...not as hostile? Obviously, the shift came really gradually. And I mean incredibly slowly. It was astounding how long it took for her to refer to someone without looking down at them, even subconsciously. Hell, she still does it sometimes.

Though, I think the moment when there was an actual shift in her attitude was once I met Fubuki. I think that's when times started to change, at least for the way that Tats treated me.

"And when did I say that we were friends, Baldy?" Normally, when she'd say something like that, there was some sort of venom to it. Some kind of bite, some sort of bark to it. Of course, it was that kind of begrudging bite. It was the type of tone that someone used when they wanted to be angry, but they just couldn't be, even if they wanted to.

Weebs would refer to that as a tsundere, if I'm not mistaken.

Her words lacked the normal bite they'd typically have. I didn't know whether to take that as a good thing or a bad thing, but I felt like she meant it then. Which, of course, at that point in time, kind of mattered to me, especially since her and Genos were the only people I ever talked to. Kind of hard not to consider them as friends at that point.

"Oh," I blinked, somewhat surprised. "I just thought we were. Sorry." Was I actually sorry, or was I just saying it to be polite? Does it really matter now that it's in the past?

She stayed silent, and I sighed, knowing, that at this point, it didn't matter whether or not those words were sincere. I just needed to be honest now.

"Look, Tatsu, I'm sorry for acting rude earlier," I explained, glancing away for a moment. "I just didn't want to override what you're going through." Looking back at her, I saw her shoulders relax a bit, which wasn't much, considering how much they'd tensed up earlier.

She glanced away, bashfulness in her eyes as she struggled to find the right words to say, which was something completely understandable. 

When you have a small range of vocabulary, like me, you don't really have a lot to worry about, since so much emotion is conveyed through a small range of words. But, having a larger range of words must make that harder, with each specific word having so much more to say.

But I think that, when you have all those words to use, using simple ones really makes their impact stronger in their own right, you know?

"...it's fine," she muttered, her voice quiet enough that the sound of a pin dropping would probably be able to drown it out.

It takes a few seconds for her to gather her thoughts enough to keep on going, "...I'm sorry for being so rude."

It's then that I really think that things started to change. At least, for how she acted towards me.

Very soon after, she seemed...way more tolerable. I mean, to other people, I think. Of course, everyone still treated her like she was both a goddess to be worshipped and a bull in a china shop. Eventually, it got to a point where it seemed like she was considering actually talking a little more about herself to me. Not anything drastic, obviously. Though, I can't see how anything could get more drastic of changing how much you reveal to someone as she did at that one resort.

That time? That was because she was drunk. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't count that as her opening up to me out of her own free will. That was her being opened up to me without her even knowing.

What I'm talking about is when she actually seemed like she thought about talking about herself a little more. Back then, I had no idea how much that really meant to her. I didn't know how hard it was for her to speak up about what she'd held back.

Specifically on our first date-like thing. Now, was it the first event we had that resembled a date? No. After all, I invited her out to eat literally a minute after we met.

It was the first time we'd hung out together when we'd actually acknowledged each other as friends, at least mutually. I'd acknowledged her as a friend before then, but I wasn't sure if she had thought of me as a friend before that point.

I chuckled, taking a sip of my soda, "Did you ever feel that sort of passion when you fought monsters?" It was clear, even to me, that that wasn't the right question to ask. She looked away, and fidgeted for a moment. I must've hit a nerve, or something sensitive. Oops.

She bit her lip, before seemingly forcing herself to speak up, "I mean...I must've, at one point in time, right? It was probably when I was younger though."

At that time, it made sense. After all, I just thought it was something that'd resemble how I felt. When I first beat my first monster, that crab thing, it was exhilarating.

Like there was nothing that could stop me then. When she said that to me, I just thought that it was a similar feeling. But, now, I just knew she was lying. Especially from what I know about her when she was young, after all. Do I blame her for lying? No. There was no reason to tell something so sensitive and personal at a restaurant, especially since we were friends, but she probably didn't think of me as a close friend.

But, it wasn't necessarily her putting up a front that I felt unused to. After all, that's what I'd been dealing with the entire time I knew her up until that point. It was really soon after that.

"Hey, c'mon, Tats, where did this come from? Where was this 'etiquette' of yours when you yelled at the entire crowd?" I chuckled, using air quotes around the word 'etiquette' for good measure. I expected it to make her scoff, maybe look away in slight embarrassment.

She laughed. Of all the things that I thought she would do, I didn't think she would laugh. I'd never heard her fully laugh like that before. It wasn't the slight chuckle and the head shake that she did when something slightly amused her, or the occasional snicker whenever I did something stupid. It was a full laugh.

A full laugh, and a full smile. Not a condescending smirk, either. A smile.

I can't say for sure whether or not that's when I started thinking, "Hey, maybe the feelings I have for her are actually feelings and not a placebo that I want to think are feelings?" When I say that, I mean that...well, I mean that that might've been the point where I considered that I wasn't just hoping that I was feeling something; I was actually feeling something.

But, I do know that moment, that moment right there, really helped me think of her in a much more positive light.

I...I could go on and on, really. I've got so many memories of the different times that Tats and I have talked to each other, the times that we bragged and joked and even competed with each other. I can't really count how many times we've had fun together, laughed together, and gotten to know each other.

And I can't even begin to really number how many times we've talked to each other in a more serious light. I think, for certain, that she's the only person who I've been able to confide so much of myself into. And I think that, somehow, in some way, that I'm the only person that she's told herself and opened herself up to, to this degree, at least.

I can confidently say, out of everyone, out of everything I've ever seen, out of all the people I've talked to, that Tats has changed me. Changed me most out of anyone.

And I have to thank her for that. Thank her directly.

/// - Present

"Alright, here you are," I heard Blast huff as we landed, the portal forming yet again as we landed on the rubble. As Flashy Flash quickly began surveying his surroundings, I just blinked. I never knew teleportation felt so...much like...sleep? Not sleep. It felt like my body was under anesthesia, but I was awake the entire time as that feeling just kept going. And then, before I knew it, I was out here.

"Hey," Blast poked me on the shoulder, and I turned to face him. He had a confident look in his eyes as he looked at me, as if analyzing me.

"You..." He began. "I know I didn't tell you this before, but there's a different air around you. A different sort of strength around you." It was vague, just as vague as Metal Knight was. The two were probably working together, honestly.

Honestly, Metal Knight was probably the one behind Genos' village being destroyed. It's a goddamn conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't put it past him. Or, 'him' being whoever's behind Metal Knight in the first place.

"Different strength?" I blinked, somewhat confused nonetheless. "What do you even mean?"

"It's not power that the thing talking to us telepathically gave to you," he deduced. "There's a different feel for that." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"You're stronger than that, I feel. You got a sort of power I haven't seen in quite some time," he finished, before turning around. "I'm gonna keep a close eye on you."

And just like that, he vanished, going into his portal yet again before vanishing.

"Well, Flashy Flash," I sighed, somewhat tired of all the heroes speaking to me so vaguely without saying a word of what they actually wanted to get across. "I guess it's time for us to head and find the other heroes." He nodded, yet stayed completely silent as his eyes narrowed, wary. Does everyone have to be so complicated? What's the harm in, you know, actually voicing what you want?

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to even think about trying to decipher whatever the hell they're thinking or what they mean when they speak.

All I have to do is beat the monsters, right?

So that's what I'm going to do.

And that giant drill in the sky held up by a bright green aura sure seems like a good marker to check out.

Just gotta make the climb up this damn mountain of debris.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

Peace Par El Cato

Fanfiction

1.6K 47 4
Tatsumaki survived a gruesome death battle. Despite being victorious, she was gravely wounded. And is being cared for by the damn baldy. During her f...
412K 16.4K 98
"Whoa, hold up! You're saying I'm living with two guys now?!" "Technically, I'M the one living with two people," Saitama crosses his arms. "What if I...
264K 9.9K 43
Due to the nature of the setting, personality(s) may be changed or altered to fit the story. All rights reserved to any official characters from any...
3.9K 182 8
~You and Garou were close friends as children, even though the time you shared together was brief and unwillingly cut short. Not seeing your best fri...