The Only One

By BeachPineapple17

The SEQUEL of everyone's favorite story, The Dental Student. This sequel follows the path of Willow's and No... More

O n e
T h r e e
F o u r
F i v e
S i x
S e v e n
E i g h t
N i n e
T e n
E l e v e n
T w e l v e
T h i r t e e n
F o u r t e e n
F i f t e e n
S i x t e e n
S e v e n t e e n

T w o

1.7K 27 2
By BeachPineapple17

"Are you numb, Sage?" He asks as I just have to nod my head yes, not trusting myself enough to open my mouth and not spew out drool.

"I'm going to do four injections because I don't want the one Dr. Samuels did to wear out during the procedure." He said as I continue to nod my head.

I close my eyes and open my mouth, but as soon as I do, I feel the suction get placed in the corner of my mouth.

Thank god, now I won't be drooling all over the place.

"Remember to not move and take a deep breath in."

I took a deep breath in and as soon as I exhaled, I felt the needle get plunged into my gums right where Uncle Collin just injected the other one.

As soon as I felt the first needle leave my mouth, I took out the suction and spoke up, even though I knew I was very numb.

"Are you going to put a mouth prop in?"

Dr. Perez gave me a confusing look as he set aside the used needle, and was about to grab the next one before he spoke up.

"Do you think you need one?"

"Well whenever my parents used to fill my cavities, they would put one in."

"Well I'm not your parents, but if I feel like your jaw is getting tired then I'll slip one in. But only if you agree to it."

I nodded my head as I opened my mouth and put the suction back in.

"These injections are going to be one after the other so don't move or speak, just let me get through them."

I closed my eyes and prepared myself for the worst.

I felt Dr. Perez's latex gloved fingers as they rested against my lips and chin to steady his hand for the needle.

The second needle stung a little but not as bad as the needle from Uncle Collin.

The third needle was closest to the root, causing the sting to last longer than the others.

And finally, the fourth needle I barely felt. Thank god.

"The worst part is over. All you need to do now is just sit back and relax. I do think I'm going to slip a mouth prop in, if that's okay with you, so you can properly relax while I use the drill." Dr. Perez explained.

I opened my eyes and poked around my cheek, seeing if any part of mouth wasn't numb.

I watched as Dr. Perez rolled over to a drawer and opened it, revealing all the blue mouth props.

"If you feel any pain from the drill you need to let me know. The worst that you would feel is uncomfortableness and some pressure, but if you feel any pain at all, let me know and I'll give you more local." Dr. Perez explained he took out the suction and readied the mouth prop.

"Any concerns?" He asked me as I shook my head and opened my mouth, hoping that drool didn't spill out.

But I knew as soon as Dr. Perez situated the mouth prop in my mouth and immediately stuck the suction back in my mouth that I'm sure there was drool somewhere.

I looked down at my bib, but instead Dr. Perez was holding a blue towel to my chin to stop the drool that I'm sure was seeping out of my mouth, even though I couldn't feel it.

Usually a hygienist or a nurse would help Dr. Perez, but nobody in the Samuels dentistry branch believed in nurses or hygienists. They do all the work themselves, with just a receptionist at the front desk that's it.

They usually have two dentists, a receptionist, and my parents and great uncle's offices share one orthodontist. And that's the only workers the whole time, but yet they still get a lot of patients because the Samuels are the best dentists in our whole state.

As soon as I heard the buzz of the drill for Dr. Perez, I closed my eyes and tried my hardest not to pay attention to anything that was happening.

"Don't move, I'll do this as quick as I can." Dr. Perez said as I heard the god awful noise as the drill made contact with my first cavity.

I felt some pressure, but nothing hurt like Dr. Perez said.

After sometime the noise finally stopped and my ears stopped bleeding from the terrible racket.

Dr. Perez put the drill up, took out the suction, and grabbed the mouth prop out of my mouth and set it down on the tray nearby.

He moved the light and mirror out of the way.

"I'm going to make some composite. I'll be right back." He said as he ditched his gloves and mask and walked out of the room.

I sat up on the dental chair, not laying down on it or I would fall asleep.

But I heard the door open and I saw Dr. Perez and my Uncle Collin walk in.

Dr. Perez had to wash his hands and put on another mask and another set of gloves.

My uncle just rolled to the corner of the room and sat and watched.

"You know you're the last patient of the day, Sage." My uncle said as Dr. Perez moved back over to me.

"Come on, lay down." Dr. Perez said.

He gently guided my shoulders back down onto the chair and moved the light over my mouth and positioned the mirror so I could see what he was doing.

"I'm not going to put the mouth prop in for the last few steps, is that okay?"

I nodded my head as he put the suction back in my mouth and grabbed the tools to fill my cavities.

I was thankful, because I honestly hate mouth props; they stretch my lips out. But I've grown somewhat used to them.

I opened my mouth and actually looked at the mirror as I watched Dr. Perez's fingers and tools fill each cavity.

I basically know all the steps to fillings, that's what happens when you live with dentists, and when your whole family is dentists.

I hate getting fillings because of the needles, but I at least know how they work.

I watched as Dr. Perez switched out tools, knowing that the composite was next.

I just closed my eyes; I knew nothing bad was happening soon, and I trust Dr. Perez.

I didn't know what step Dr. Perez was on, but I gave up watching him, until I heard Uncle Collin's phone go off and I opened my eyes and looked back at the mirror, seeing the bonding light that Dr. Perez was using to harden the composite.

"That's your grandfather, Sage. Who knows what he wants..." Uncle Collin mumbles as he exits the exam room and answers the call.

"Alright, last thing." Dr. Perez mentions as grabs the polisher.

Thankfully my jaw hasn't grown tired yet and Dr. Perez is almost done with my appointment.

I continued to watch him in the mirror as he polishes my teeth.

Within a few minutes he's done.

He takes the tools out of my mouth, along with the suction and cleans up his mess.

He raised the dental chair as he tells me the basic rules that every dentist is required to enforce.

"I gotta tell you the rules, even though you already know. No hard, sticky, or sugary foods for at least 24 hours. Be careful about which side you're eating on since you have fillings on both sides of your mouth. And be careful when you brush. How numb are you still?"

I poked my cheek, being able to feel tingles.

"Eh, kinda numb." I said, taking off my bib, knowing that I wasn't drooling anymore so I would be okay.

"Okay, that should go away in a couple of hours. And last thing, I promise. You're at the right age for dentists to begin considering braces. I'm actually surprised your parents haven't made you an appointment, yet. But I would suggest that you come on the same day that you have the cleaning with me or your uncle and get an orthodontic consult."

"Why can't you just be my orthodontist?"

"That's not how that works, and you know it."

"But Dr. Winters is some weird old guy. He used to be my mom's orthodontist."

"But he's the best. And he's our preferred orthodontist. Would you rather go to your grandfathers office and have the Karen orthodontist?"

"Please, no. Not a Karen."

"Then that's settled, I'll have your uncle schedule you a consult next week after your appointment with me."

I gave Dr. Perez my frowny face as he mocked me right back.

"Go find your uncle, and get outta here. Remember what I said about what you can't eat! Don't forget to floss!" He exclaimed as I got off the dental chair and walked out of the exam room and to my great uncle's office.

As soon as I opened the door, I saw he was already packing up his things and taking his white coat off to hang on the rack.

My great uncle is the only one who wears his white coat with his scrubs or professional attire.

Dr. Perez always wears scrubs, or a nice solid colored button-up shirt with dress pants, if he's feeling bold and in a good mood. But he almost never wears his white coat.

I know he has one because it hangs right next to my great uncles. But it's okay if he doesn't wear a white coat, because I can get a more defined look of his six pack and muscles.

"Ah, Sage. Ready to go? Did Anthony tell you all the rules?" Uncle Collin asked me as he grabbed his suit case.

"Yes, Dr. Perez already told me all of the rules that I already know."

"Why are you always so formal. You know you can call him Anthony, or Dr. Anthony. He's said you can call him whatever."

"I don't know. Mom and dad always tell me to be professional and call Doctors by their title."

"Whatever you say, munchkin."

I followed Uncle Collin out of the office and down the hall to his exam room that I just left.

He opens the door to reveal Dr. Perez wiping everything down, and cleaning everything up, it looks like I wasn't even in here.

"Hey Anthony, I'm going to take this wild one home. Don't forget to lock up and have a good night." My great uncle said.

"Have a good night." Dr. Perez said to my uncle.

"And chew carefully." He said with a wink to me.

My great uncle left the door open and I followed him out through the lobby and to the parking lot.

"Are you ready for your appointment with Dr. Winters?" He asked as I got into his car with him.

"No." I said with an eye roll, but I doubt he say my eye roll.

"He's a great orthodontist. You'll be fine. Plus you're 16 munchkin, you're at just the right age for braces. You're lucky I talked to your parents, and could convince them to let me schedule you an appointment. Or else you would've had an appointment with both your parents at their office. You should be thankful."

"Yeah, thanks." I answered sarcastically.

"You're welcome, munchkin."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 1.6K 20
A girl with 7 brothers, who are all some kind of doctor, her worst fear. Please do not take my ideas, they are my own. If you would like to use an id...
536K 14K 35
I woke up because I felt something on my throat making it hard for me to breath, I look up to see Leonardo is looking down at me while smirking, his...
526 48 22
"𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐭'𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐱𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈'𝐦 𝐮𝐩 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐭...
22.2K 504 29
Book 2 of The Adeline Series after a while of silence. It was just us beneath the billions of stars, then Tom pointed his hand to a bright shining s...