New Horizon [Morganville]

By pastaqueen

The Morganville Vampires fanfiction. New Horizon fanfic series book one out of three. Completed. Morganvill... More

A Note From The Author
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-One

1.8K 32 6
By pastaqueen

SHANE’S POINT OF VIEW

How the hell had this gotten so screwed up?

“Claire!” I shouted again for the hundredth time. My throat was getting sore from all the yelling, and I would probably lose my voice tomorrow.

But that didn’t matter; all that mattered was finding Claire. I got a lot of odd looks from my neighbours as I ran down the streets of Morganville shouting at the top of my lungs. It surprised me that they found it odd for me to be yelling. Most of them made formal complaints to the cops about my “loud” music and me.

Weirdoes.

I pulled out my phone and dialled Eve’s cell. She answered on the fourth ring, and she didn’t sound pleased to hear me.

“What do you want, Chilli Boy?”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I panted, struggling to catch my breath. Eve was quiet for a few seconds before she sniffed and replied. Her voice trembled when she first spoke, as if she were on the verge of tears.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about? Tell you about what?”

“Don’t do that; don’t play dumb. I am standing out in the middle of the street in Morganville, which is pretty stupid, even for me. Want to know what I’m doing? I’m looking for Claire, because she’s left the damn town.”

“She told us not to tell you. She wanted to tell you herself.”

“Yeah, I get that. But you let her leave? Why the hell would you do that?”

“She wasn’t supposed to be leaving until the weekend!”

“Well, she’s gone Eve. She’s probably already halfway down the highway by now.”

“Shane – I am so sorry –“

“Sorry isn’t going to bring Claire back, Eve. Damn it.”

“Shane, just calm down. No need to go kicking out fangs.”

“Speaking of fangs, where’s Michael? Why the hell didn’t he tell me this?”

“Shane, I told you. Claire told us –“

“Yeah, I know what she told you. Whatever.” I hung up and sighed, running a hand through my hand. I turned and started walking back home after trying Claire’s mobile for the last time. “Shit.” I swore and kicked an old beer bottle. Claire was gone. She was really gone.

* * *

The whole house was quiet, and if it wasn’t for the occasional chirp of birds outside, it could have been dead silent. I picked up my game control and fiddled with it, deciding if I was going to play a game. In the end, I didn’t feel up for it and trudged up the stairs.

Just as I pushed open my bedroom door, I was attacked. Well, I wouldn’t really call it attacked.

“Hey!” I protested as I was pushed against the wall. “What are you –“ I stopped talking when warm lips pressed against mine. She tasted of strawberry, and smelt like lavender.

Whoa, Shane. What are you doing?

I pulled back, and took a couple steps back. I took too many steps, and crashed into the door.

“Ow, shit.” I stared at the girl that stood in front of me.

“Shane, I am so sorry. I am so, so sorry.”

“Claire?” I pulled her into a hug, and I felt her sigh in relief. Her body shook as she tried holding back her tears. “I thought you left. What are you doing here?”

Claire pulled back so she could look at me. “I remember, I remember everything. God, I am so sorry."

"Remember?" Shane asked. "But, they said it wouldn't come back?"

"I know. But as soon as I was out of town, I knew something was wrong. I mean, it was weird. I didn't remember Morganville, or vampires, or anything. But I knew that I needed to turn back, so I did. And Shane, I am so sorry."

I kissed her, stopping her from talking. I could taste the salt from her tears as they fell from her eyes. She parted her lips, and gripped onto my shirt. “Don’t leave me, Claire.” I murmured between kisses.

“I won’t,” She smiled at me. “I love you, Shane.”

That was the best thing I had heard in a long time, and I couldn’t hide the smile that spread over my lips. “I love you too. More than you would ever know, Claire.”

* * *

CLAIRE’S POINT OF VIEW

Claire had forgotten just how comfortable Shane’s bed was. She’d forgotten how warm, and cosy it was. And then there was Shane. And oh God, she’d forgotten how heart-warming, and warm he was too. She felt safe in his embrace, and was captivated by his golden-brown eyes. Claire had fallen asleep wearing nothing but one of Shane’s oversized shirts. When she woke up, Shane had once again disappeared from the bed.

His clothes were still left abandoned in a pile all over the floor. Claire stretched and let out a big yawn as she slipped out of the bed. She didn’t bother changing; instead she pulled on her silk robe and wore it over Shane’s shirt. Come on, she was practically living with family. The smell of chicken soup filled the whole house, and Claire’s stomach rumbled even louder with each step she descended.

“Smells good,” Claire smiled as she walked into the kitchen. Eve and Shane were leaning over the hot stove. It looked like Shane was trying to drop in a few cloves of garlic, and Eve was protesting.

Eve was all dressed up in her Gothic Glory. Her outfit was a black corset and a puffy neon green skirt. Her black hair had streaks of blue and green and her eye shadow was a matching lime. Her lips were painted blue and they turned up into a smile. The smile kind of faltered when she saw what Claire was wearing.

Eve’s eyes moved up and down, examining the dark shirt and robe, then they moved to Shane. Unlike Eve, Shane had decided that he wasn’t ready to dress up.

He wore cotton pyjama bottoms and no shirt. He smiled and winked at Claire.

“Oh,” Eve interrupted. Her cheeks took on a slight pink tone. Eve glared at Shane and smacked him across the head.

“Hey!” Shane ducked the next hit and dodged out of the way. He stumbled into the table and tipped over one of the chairs. “What did I do wrong?”

Eve pulled a face, no doubt thinking, ‘You dumbass, what the hell are you doing?’

Claire smiled and laughed. “It’s okay, Eve. I remember.”

Eve’s eyebrow raised, and a puzzled expression crossed her face. Claire could actually see the news hit her, as she realized what was going on. “Well that explains everything! I was wondering why you were still here, I mean, because you were leaving. And then I was like; Shane wouldn’t sleep with you. I mean, not that he doesn’t like sleeping with you, but because –”

“She gets it Eve.” Shane said and rolled his eyes.

“Oh C.B., I’m glad you’re back.” Eve pulled Claire into a hug.

“Me too,” Claire smiled. “But, uh, you’re kind of blocking out my air.”

“Oh, sorry,” Eve pulled back, releasing Claire from her death grip. She grinned at Claire, which should have been weird considering her Gothic appearance. But on Eve, it totally worked. “Now can you please tell Shane that garlic and chicken soup don’t mix.”

Claire smiled and shot Shane a look. He gave her one of his smouldering, lopsided smiles. Eve wacked him on the back of the head again. “Do not bribe her,” Eve exclaimed. “No garlic at all now. End of discussion.”

“Ow,” Shane complained as he toppled away from Eve and took protection behind Claire. “Come on. Enough with the head smacks.”

“You know what? Both of you shoo. Always up to know good.” When neither Shane nor Claire made a move to leave, Eve picked up the nearby broom and shooed them out of the room. “Go on. Scat.”

Claire almost tripped over her own feet as she stepped outside the kitchen door. Michael was there to catch her.

“Nice to see you’re still here,” Michael smiled.

Claire smiled proudly at him. “You can’t get rid of me that easily.”

Shane put his arm around Claire and pulled her close. He kissed her lightly on the head.

“Hey, can you meet me in the lounge room?” Shane said as he pulled away from her. Claire gave him a confused look but she nodded.

“Sure,” She smiled and turned to Michael. “Beware, Eve’s cooking soup.”

Michael pulled a face. “Thanks for the heads up.”

When Shane was certain that Claire couldn’t hear them, he went serious and lent in closer to Michael.“Don’t you dare keep secrets from me when it comes to Claire.” Shane warned.

Michael blinked. “What?”

“You knew she was going to leave, and you didn’t tell me. What happened to the Bro Code man?”

“Listen, she told us not to tell you. Shane, the last thing I want is to see Claire get hurt –”

Shane raised his eyebrows. “I’m not asking for a big speech. I just wanted you to know.”

“Claire’s important to you, I get it. But you’ve got to let her make her own decisions.” Michael turned and made his way to the kitchen. After a few minutes of hesitation, Shane went into the lounge room to mess around with Claire.

* * *

Claire sat on Shane’s lap, trying to distract him from the game.

They were versing each other on Xbox, and the loser had to do dishes. And of course, Shane was winning. Claire wiggled around, causing a grunt from Shane. A sly smile crossed her lips, as she looked over her shoulder.

Shane shot her a dirty look and kissed her cheek.

“You can squirm around as much as you want,” Shane sneered. “You’ll only be paying for it later.”

“And what if I say no?” Claire asked as she dodged a virtual bullet.

Shane put the game on pause and snatched Claire’s control. He placed both of them on the couch and gently tackled her to the ground. Claire squealed, and giggled as Shane lay on top of her. “You won’t say no,” Shane’s voice was low and husky, and it made Claire feel warm in places she probably shouldn’t. Claire bit her lip, and watched as Shane’s craving eyes stared at her lips.

Shane’s lips moved to hers, and his warm lips connected with hers. He tasted of, well, chicken soup, and the spicy-Shane taste that Claire loved. His tounge traced the bottom of her lip, and Claire smiled as she let her mouth slit open.

“Whoa,” Eve said. “That’s getting pretty close to R rated guys.”

 Claire pushed Shane off her and sat up. Shane groaned and glared at Eve. “How many times do I have to tell you –” Shane began.

“I know, I know.” Eve mimicked a pretty bad version of Shane’s voice. “’How many times do I have to tell you about ruining sexy time?’ Get over it Collins.”

“Bite me, drag queen.”

“Oh, that’s original. Got anything else?”

“Yeah. Did I tell you how colourful and bright you look today?”

As the two of the argued, Claire slowly pulled herself back onto the couch and muted the volume. She put the game out of pause, and continuously nailed bullets into Shane’s virtual character. 

Eve caught on to what Claire was doing, and went along with it.

“So,” Eve smiled as she tried changing the subject. Claire had never thought it was possible, but they had run out of insults. Maybe tomorrow they would wake up with a fresh batch. Shane glared at her, and started to stand up. Eve squeaked and shoved him back down on the floor.

“What the hell?” Shane scowled. “You’re bat-shit crazy.”

“Hey, do you know that there’s another Frat party this weekend? I say we should go. Bashes are fun. Party!” Eve whooped and fist pumped the air.

It looked totally insane, and Claire had stopped playing the game for a few seconds to stare at her. Shane gave her a ‘You’re freaking crazy look’ and exchanged glances with Claire.

Then his mouth dropped open when he realized what Claire was doing.

“You,” He said and picked her up. Claire squealed as Shane lifted her over his shoulder. “Are the cheekiest little trickster I have ever seen in my life.”

The timer on the television screen finally ended at zero, and it showed Claire’s character shoot Shane’s one last time.

She was still holding the control and Claire clicked on the word ‘statistics’.

The screen opened up to a box, showing the scores and other random information about the playing session.

“Look at that,” Claire laughed. “One hundred and fifty to fifty. I bet you by one hundred points.”

Shane nodded at Eve and walked out of the lounge room, with Claire dangling over his shoulder.

“I can’t believe you would trick me like that,” Shane said with mock sadness to his voice. He found it just as entertaining as Claire did. “I thought you were innocent and not a cheater –”

“Well, I guess I have you to blame for that.”

Shane made a noise deep in his throat. In a matter of seconds, he had pulled Claire off his shoulder, and held her arms in his hands. He pulled one of his lopsided smiles and kissed her cheek. “Hey, Shane?” Claire said quietly.

He breathed in and lowered his head so he could look her directly in the eyes. “Yeah?”

“You’re still doing the dishes.”

“Oh am I?” Shane smirked and kissed her again. “How about last one to the kitchen does the dishes?”

Claire couldn’t hide her devilish grin as she thought about it. No doubt Shane would beat her, so she would have to be sneaky. She kissed him again, and she could feel his smile on her lips.

Then she pushed him back, and with an insane giggle made a mad dash for the kitchen. She heard Shane’s laughter from behind her, and she was already been picked up in his arms. He spun her around and pressed her against the wall.

“Claire Danvers, you are a tease.” Shane said, his voice low and husky.

Claire giggled, and felt the butterflies in her stomach intensify. “What are you going to do about it, Mr Collins?”

Shane smirked and lent in close. He whispered in her ear, “Don’t get me started.” Claire's phone went off, causing them both to jump. 'The Twilight Zone' theme song started playing, and Claire sighed. She knew who it was immediantly. Shane backed off and he let Claire pull out her mobile. She peered down at it and frowned, suddenly remembering everything that he'd done. "Who is it?" Shane asked.

Claire sucked in a deep breath. "Myrnin."

Shane's mood went down as soon as he heard the name. He nodded and his lips formed into a tight line. "Great. Just great." The spooky music still played in the background, so Claire silenced it, and switched off her phone. Shane raised an eyebrow. "You're ignoring him?"

Claire smiled and held his hands. "I haven't forgotten what he's done."

"You said you weren't angry at him, though?"

Claire had to think about that and she nodded. "It's true. I'm not angry at him, and I should be," Claire kissed him lightly on the lips, knowing it would leave Shane wanting more. Sure enough, his arms wrapped around her waist. "Besides, this is our time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.8K 328 8
Shane's point of view in the Morganville series. Book Two: Dead Girls Dance. Glass Houses, Midnight Alley, and Feast of Fools also up. Also, check ou...
3.3K 145 11
A Morganville Vampires fan fiction Affair between part time lovers, Claire and Myrnin. What could possibly go wrong?
669 3 20
*new format. still writing!* An edited & extended version of The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine, book #2 of The Morganville Vampires series, in a...
27.5K 506 27
The Morganville Vampires fanfiction. New Horizon fanfic series book two out of three. Completed. She's back, and she's starting a war. Naomi is hel...