The Boy Next Door

By its_zoemonroe

His faint laugh stopped me in my tracks, my body turning sightly to look at him again. "That was cute. Really... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Epilogue
bonus: part 2
bonus: part 3
*New Story Alert*

bonus: part 1

1.3K 47 3
By its_zoemonroe

AU: *so this mini part is in the sense Damon didn't die in the car accident. Here, it's two years since that night, and Damon is back home from college for summer break.*

Cameron's POV— "present time"

I quickly bounce my leg, overly ready for him to be here already. My peripheral caught some movement, my head turning to see his mom walk in with Auden.

The Valero's were more than gracious to take me in after the accident. With my mom passing and Derek practically dropping off the face of the Earth, I needed solace. Badly. I know they don't mind me staying here, but I've been looking into apartments for me and Damon, especially since he can live off campus next year.

"Hey, do you want to ride with us to the store? We forgot a few things for lunch." Jocelyn asks.

"I'm okay. I want to be here when he shows."

She gives me a weak smile, knowing I've grown more attached to him ever since the accident. I've grown some since that night, based on the fact I don't just lay in his room, in the dark, for majority of the day. I work at the grocery store and the book store, now, so I find comfort there while Damon's away at school.

I'm not as bubbly or talkative as I used to be, and I think that may be hardest for her to see. I told them everything that had been going on with Grayson about a year later, and to say they were stunned would be an understatement.

They suggested therapy, saying they'd pay for it and all, but I can't let them pay for me like that. I honestly feel better that i didn't lose Damon, and at times I feel like a bitch for being happy he survived and not my mother.

"Okay. If he shows before we're back, tell him where we're at."

"Of course." I nod, watching as they walk out the living room. I quickly stand from the couch, forgetting to tell her something. "Drive safe. . . please."

She presses a feather-like kiss to my forehead, "Always."

I wrap my arms around my middle, standing in the same spot until I hear the front door close shut. Rubbing my hand down my thighs, I look at the food spread out on the dining table. Jocelyn and Alessandro give him a little party each year he finishes school, and I think it's the sweetest thing. I plop one of the grapes in my mouth as my phone chimes.

"Hello?"

"Hi," Adeline greets, "is he home yet?"

"No, not yet. I'd give him another half hour or so. What're you up to?"

"Giving Lily a bath. We'll probably be there later in the day, so you guys can have some time together."

"Oh, it's okay. You know he wants to see you both during the party."

"Are you sure?" She questions, my head nodding despite her not being able to see me.

"Yes, Adeline. He's got to-" I stop mid-sentence as I hear the door unlock and proceed to open, revealing his tall stature. He smiles brightly at me after locking the door, the two bags in his hand dropping instantly. "Hey, I'll call you back."

I don't wait for her reply before I end the call, placing my phone on the table corner before I make my way into his arms. I nuzzle my face in the crook of his neck as he holds me, our body's slowly lowering until we're sitting on the floor.

"I've missed you," He murmurs against my hair. One hand rubs circles on my back as he places tender kisses to the top of my head. "How's today been, baby? You okay?"

I nod gently, still trying to savor the moment of his return without talking yet. I pull away, interlocking our hands as we share a kiss.

"Hi." I whisper against his lips before pulling away to take him in. His hair is a curly mess under the hood of his sweatshirt, a few strands curling against his forehead.

"Hi." He grins, pecking my nose before pulling me back for another hug. "How're you, lovely?"

"I'm good, great now that you're home. Um, your mom and Aiden went to the store right quick, but I think Kayla is here."

"Okay. Let me go bother her right quick."

I shake my head at his words, knowing her sixteen year old self doesn't want to be bothered by her older brother. We stand up, sharing another kiss, before he tip-toes down the hall. I bend down to check the bags he brought in, one of them holding a smaller bag of dirty clothes. I take the bags and head towards the laundry room, just as Kayla begins to shout and protest at Damon.

"Damon, I'm not—Cameron! Tell him to put me down!"

"Sorry, I've got have laundry to do!" I call back, laughing as she audibly groans.

"Put me down, or I swear to God!" She says, followed by Damon mocking her. He sets her down gently, although it doesn't stop her from punching him in the chest.

"It didn't hurt."

"It should've." Kayla mumbles, smiling up at him before she saunters around the corner, no doubt towards the array of food on the table.

Damon looks my way before walking down the hall, shaking his head while holding his hand out, gesturing for me to hand the bags over. "Gimme those."

"They're dirty. I can do the laundry right quick."

My words don't matter as he takes the bags anyways, hiking them up on his shoulder before walking hand-in-hand to his room. I roll my eyes as he drops the bags on the floor, just for us to lay down on the bed.

"See? Laundry can wait, this is much better."

"Mm hmm," I hum while laying my head on his shoulder. "Congrats on finishing another year, I'm proud of you."

"Thank you. Now I can spend my days with my favorite person for the next three months."

"I've still got to work, so I'm sure you can catch up on some much needed sleep." I reply, somewhat sad I can't just lounge around with him all summer like I did in high school.

"I could say the same about you." He says, sitting up slightly as he rests a hand against my cheek. "You haven't been sleeping much, have you?"

Some nights I sleep better than others. Early on, after I was admitted from the hospital, it was hard for me to sleep without reliving everything. I had Damon to comfort me then, but after he went away to college, I didn't have him close like that. Nowadays, sometimes I just can't sleep at night.

"No." I answer, watching his eyes glaze over with concern. "But, it's not from any of that. I think I was just restless because you were coming home. Don't worry about it."

"You sure? Be honest, Cameron."

I nod, "I'm sure. I'm really okay. Now, tell me about the college experience this time."

His lips break into a small smile, which is good, judging by the fact I know he's still concerned about me sleeping and stuff. He lays back down, pulling me on top of him, just as Jocelyn calls out into the house.

"We'll talk later." He says, kissing my forehead, before going to greet his mom.

~*~

"I miss you! Man, sorry I couldn't make it, Damon." Hayden says through the phone.

"It's good, glad to see you're well. Tell Brandon we said hi."

"Will do. Bye, Cam! Don't eat all the cake."

I give a thumbs up as I place another forkful of cake in my mouth. We chuckle before ending the call, the serenity of the quiet backyard coming back to me as Damon and I sway in the hammock.

Everyone else is inside, and I can faintly hear the music and voices out here. I'm not sure what it is about this spot, but we come out here any chance we get. Even while he's away, I'll come and lay out here because it makes me feel like he's actually laying behind me, and not on his dorm bed.

"What're you thinking about?" Damon asks after a few moments of silence.

"I think Adeline might be seeing someone."

"Really? Why's that?"

"I don't know, it's just a feeling. She's rarely on her phone, especially when she's around Lily, but she was on it more than usual last month. I think she's getting to know someone."

"Well, I'm sure you'll sleuth around and figure it out." He comments, his chest vibrating as he chuckles. "She deserves somebody to love."

"Yeah, absolutely." I agree, setting the empty plate on the stand beside us. I lay my arm across his stomach as fixes the thin blanket across our feet. "So. . . I've been thinking about something."

"What's up?"

"Well, I've been looking at apartments lately. Nothing serious, just browsing, but I thought with you able to move of campus next year, maybe you'd want a place with me? And I don't want to keep burdening your parents."

"Look at me." He begins, his fingers on my chin as he tilts my head his way. "You are not, and will never be, a burden to me or my family. You're practically they're daughter now, so don't think so negatively of yourself. Okay? As for the apartment, I think it's a great idea."

"Really? W-We can look into some closer to the university, if it'll be easier and stuff."

He kisses each of my knuckles, rubbing his thumb across the back of my hand as he thinks. "I'm sure there's apartments in the middle, not too far from here and the school."

I roll over slowly, making sure I don't flip us over and fall to the ground. I just want to take this moment to admire him and everything he's done for me. He's always been there, even when I tried to keep him out of things. He's a truly honorable man, and I wish I could express how grateful I am to have him with me right now.

"I love you. Please, don't ever doubt that."

"Ti amo! Voglio passare il resto della mia vita con te." The Italian words, although foreign to my ears, sounds velvety coming from his lips. If I know anything, it's he said something sweet.

I'm intrigued. "What's that mean?"

"I want to spend the rest of my life with you." He presses his lips against mine, the sweet taste of his drink mixing in with the kiss. "And I mean it. There's no one else out there I'd rather be with."

My eyes gloss over at his words, his chin coming to rest on top of my head as he runs circles at the small of my back. I close my eyes, ready to fall asleep in the arms of the man who's become my safe haven.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 40.7K 11
"Alright. I got this far. What next Mr. Teacher?" He laughs at me. Actually laughs at me! If he thinks that just because his laugh is one of the...
89 0 13
"Who the fuck are you?" I state. Why the hell is some random ass man standing right outside my door. "Your new bestfriend!" He smirks. Cameron is 19...
1M 16.7K 62
-"Fuck I can't wait to taste you." He says under his heavy breath. Excitement courses through my body as Tyler wraps my legs around his waist so he...
803 62 22
"Madison?" I say through my tears. I touch her face. Even though we weren't together, I still loved her. I was planning to ask her out, but I guess t...