Chapter 9: Its Dormitories

Every dorm room is equipped with a centrally-located stove, and each student gets their own four-poster bed, flanked by a set of windows and space for storing personal belongings. On the window sill, a water jug is placed, in case any of the students should feel the need for a drink in the middle of the night. Each dorm will house four students. It is impossible for boys to enter the girls' dormitories, however, girls may enter the boys' dormitories. If a boy attempts to enter the girls' dormitories the stairs will turn into a slide. This is true even for transgender students aware of their identities and ready to come out. Those who have issues with the given dormitories (whether that be due to the gendering or bullying or discomfort caused by sharing with other students) may speak to their head of house about non-gendered single dormitories.

Each dormitory is themed to the house in terms of colour - however, each student has the right to decorate their portion of the room.

Gryffindor dormitory description

Four-poster beds are covered in red eiderdowns with red curtains, a nightstand next to it and their school trunks at the foot of their bed. A yellow banner that says Gryffindor with their house mascot is hung on top of their bed. Wooden chairs and dressers are near the bed. A lamp is placed on their dresser and on their wooden board. A wooden board is situated on either side of their bed for students to decorate. The dorm has stone walls and wooden floors. The windows have red curtains. There is also a white pillow on the floor, a perch on their dresser, and a snuffbox on top of their trunk for their pets. A wooden bookcase is located on the other side of the bed. No books may be left by students at the end of the year. The dorms have a red and yellow carpet with the house crest in the centre of it. There is a wooden table in the centre of the dormitory with a stack of books with an hourglass and vase of flowers on top of it. The dorm has a centrally located stove in the centre of the dormitory next to the table.

Slytherin dormitory description

The four-posters are covered in green silk hangings. During the night or during quieter times you may hear lake water lapping against the windows. Also, silver lanterns hang from the ceilings. The walls are decorated with Slytherin crests and tapestries depicting the adventures of famous Slytherins covered the walls. The four-poster beds are covered in green eiderdowns with green curtains, a wooden nightstand next to it and their school trunk at the foot of the bed. A wooden board is situated on either side of the bed. A wooden chair and dresser are located near the nightstand and the window. A wooden bookcase is located on the other side of the bed for the students to fill. Books may be left there by previous students for the new students of that year. The walls and floors are made of stone. The dorm has a green carpet with the house crest in the centre and two spherical lamps on either side. Small alcoves are located on either side of the bed. The four-poster beds are covered in the house colours with the house crest on them. The beds have two shelves at the back of the bed, an owl perch on one side, a small carpet next to the bed and a wooden nightstand at the end of the bed on one side. There is a wooden table in the centre of the dormitory with an hourglass and a plant in a flowerpot on it. The dorm has a centrally located stove in the centre of the dormitory next to the table.

Ravenclaw dormitory description

Four-poster beds are covered in sky blue silk eiderdowns on platforms and the sound of the wind whistling around the windows is very relaxing. A wall is decorated with the Ravenclaw crest and the windows have blue curtains. There is also a desk. The four-poster beds are covered in blue eiderdowns with navy blue curtains, a wooden nightstand next to it and their school trunk at the foot of the bed. A wooden board is situated on either side of the bed. A blue upholstered armchair sits on one side of the bed, near the nightstand and the window. Teacups can be located on the nightstand. A wooden bookcase is located on the other side of the bed where students are urged to leave books for the next year's students. The dorm has a lamp with time-lit candles and a navy lamp shade. The beds have two shelves at the back, an owl perch on one side, a small carpet next to the bed and a wooden nightstand at the head of the bed on one side. There is a wooden table in the centre of the dormitory with an hourglass on top of it, parchments and a plant in a flowerpot on it. The dorm has a centrally located stove in the centre of the dormitory next to the table, with a brass kettle on top of it to keep the water warm. The handle of the kettle is charmed not to be hot.

Hufflepuff dormitory description

Four-poster beds are covered in patchwork quilts and are furnished with wooden bedsteads. Copper lamps cast a warm light in their dorms and copper bed warmers hang on the wall, which the floor warm. The doors are all circular. The beds have yellow curtains, a wooden nightstand next to it and their school trunk at the foot of the bed. A wooden chair and dresser are located on one side of the bed, near the nightstand. A wooden bookcase is located on the other side of the bed and students are urged to leave books, letters and ornaments for the next year's students. The walls and floors are made of stone. A plant holder is on the wall and a plant is located on one side of the bed. The dorm has half-circle windows. The dorm has a yellow and black carpet with the house crest in the centre and two spherical lamps on either side. There are two shelves at the back of the bed, an owl perch on one side, and a small carpet next to the bed. There is a wooden table in the centre of the dormitory with an hourglass on top of it, spare parchments are left in a drawer, and a plant in a flowerpot also on top of the table. The dorm has a centrally located stove in the centre of the dormitory next to the table, where mugs and a kettle can be found with the necessary ingredients for tea, coffee or hot chocolate.