𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌

-----"ɴᴏᴡ, ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴡᴇᴀʀ, hm?" A young teenage girl with long curly blonde hair opened the sliding white closet door, looking over the several options of dark-colored cardigans and dresses.

The orange light of the afternoon sun came through the window and made her yellow hair look red. The brunette sitting on the bed behind her was fiddling with her fingers, a nervous habit.

The blond looking through her clothes was her best friend, Heather Chandler. The most popular girl in her middle school. The brunette had no idea how an extrovert like Heather Chandler ended up being friends with such a shy and quiet girl like her. But she was starting to worry Heather wouldn't want to be her friend for long.

The slightly shorter brunette girl sat on her bed, watching the blonde search through her clothes. Her left leg was crossed over her right as she watched with lowered eyebrows, cringing at the number of sweaters and t-shirts that she owned.

"You know, maybe I shouldn't go," The brown-haired girl sighed, pushing some hair behind her ear.

"No, we're going as a group, Veronica! It wouldn't be the same without you!" The blonde playfully shouted to her timid friend, a confused smirk on her face as she huffed out a nervous laugh.

She turned around quickly, making her hair come an inch to hit her friend's face. The young Veronica sat pouting with her head lowered, unsure of what to say.

Veronica looked down at her hands, still fiddling her fingers, "I don't know, Heather, it's just a middle school dance. It's not really important," Veronica sighed, shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head.

Heather moved closer and grabbed Veronica's hands. Giving her puppy dog begging eyes. Her blue eyes shimmered, and Veronica couldn't help but smile at Heather's innocent face.

"It'll be fun. And who knows, Rob may be there," Heather winked and elbowed Veronica, biting her lower lip and moving her eyebrows up and down.

Veronica rolled her eyes, "come on, Rob. He tried to get me to join his mythological fan-club!" The girl chuckled, making Heather laugh a little too.

"Good point..." She muttered, smiling through the corner of her mouth, her glossy red lips curving up with her friend's paler ones.

Veronica's eyes suddenly became filled with sorrow, looking down at the floor. Heather frowned and plopped down next to her on the blue sheets.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked wholesomely, tilting her head to the side a bit.

Veronica shook her head. "I'm just scared," she whispered, her doe brown eyes almost tearing up.

"Of what?" Heather asked, tilting her head.

"That we may never get to laugh over going to a dance together again. I mean, they want me to skip junior high and just go straight to high school. I don't want to go to my first prom and think of this dance with you and the other girls and start to cry," Veronica explained, a small tear falling down her red cheeks and her voice cracking.

Heather put her hand on her back, rubbing slowly to calm her. "Hey, hey... I think that's amazing that you're that smart enough to go from 7th to 9th grade! And if it is what is best for you, then I support it. 100%. Even though I will miss you," Heather encouraged, her voice soft and comforting, just above a whisper.

Veronica turned over to her friend who's sparkling blue eyes made her feel strangely happy. "Thank you, Heather. You are really the best friend that anyone could ask for," Veronica spoke with meaning in her voice, leaning into her for a hug.

Heather happily obliged, wrapping her arms covered in a red fluffy sweater around Veronica's back.

"No problem," she whispered as a reply. They pulled apart and smiled at each other, wondering what would have happened if they never became friends with each other.

"It's no wonder you're the most popular person in our grade. You're so nice!" Veronica cheered, wiping away her tears.

Heather blushed slightly, awkwardly smiling. "Well thank you. I do try."

"Heather, your mother is here!" Veronica's mother yelled from downstairs, breaking the tension between the two girls. Heather jumped a little, then looked back at Veronica. "So...Are you coming with me and Mac?" Heather asked, standing and grabbing her bag.

"Yep, and I'll find something nice to wear." Veronica smiled. Heather nodded at her, then gave a quick goodbye before rushing out.

Veronica laughed a little, then fell back against her pillow. Heather is so nice.

She hopes she stays like that forever.

....