This time, for sure.

"I..." Your words fail you when you see the pained expression on Kozume's face. The very thought crossed your mind earlier today. But hearing him say it aloud hits much differently. You forget Kozume's hand that rests on your shoulder until he squeezes it.

His brows knit together and now he wears a scowl. Seeing Kozume angry happens less often the older he got and you brace yourself for his next word.

"Can you imagine how upset and thrown off I was when you erased yourself entirely out of my life without any explanation? The feeling I went through when Kuroo simply stated that the two of you are no longer together. The emptiness I felt when I didn't have answers to my questions to what happened between you two." Kozume spits out word after word in a fluid tone.

"The uneasiness I carried after years of being kept in the dark. Until one day I received a letter from you out of the blue. I was in a state of shock when I saw your handwriting and only more stunned when I read the contents in it." His rough speech softens up and you watch him pull his hand back to his side. He lowers his head, his hair falling over his face.

"After ten years, our reunion was at a funeral home. Reunited by an emotional and vulnerable event." Kozume speaks slowly and you feel your chest tighten.

You were too wrapped up on how hurt you were because of Kuroo and it never crossed your mind what Kozume must've went through.

For you, Kuroo is painted as the villain but you're just as bad of a villain for Kozume. Apologizes wouldn't mend the pain that you put Kozume through. Time for the two of you were also lost.

"Sorry. You were talking about your troubles and I just went on a tangent about myself." Kozume raises his head to look at you. His eyes widen and his breath hitches when Y/N leans over to wrap her arms around his neck, hugging him. Her breath tickles his neck when she speaks.

"I was too self focused about my sadness and was blinded to my actions I created. I know apologies are useless to the amount of pain I caused you Kenma. But I genuinely want you to know that I'm sorry."

Kozume tries to process everything Y/N is saying but his mind grows blank. He's unable to focus on anything but the smell of her floral perfume and the warmth she wraps him in. His shaky hands slowly stretch out to return her hug.

Closing his eyes, Kozume turns his head slightly to speak by her ear in a hushed whisper. "Just don't do that again. If Kuroo upsets you, tell me. There's no other person besides you and I who could set him in his place."

"Can you tell him to stop forcing his way back into my life then? It's starting to look pathetic." You lightheartedly giggle as you pull yourself away from Kozume. Kozume unwillingly pulls away and nods silently to your words. His phone then vibrates in his pocket and you buckle your seatbelt while he answers the phone.

"Speak of the devil." Kozume mutters, eyeing the caller ID. He raises the phone by his ear, "Kuroo."

"Hey Kenma! Are you free tonight? I need to destress. I was thinking maybe a few shot glasses of soju and barbeque?" You hear Kuroo's loud voice from Kozume's phone. He does indeed sound stressed and you wonder if it has something to do with his work.