Two Little Soldiers

two little soldiers

a/n: i would like to say that this is very very crappy but took me 5 days to complete so. it was just me being lazy but I FINISHED!!!!! this is about 4,480 words. also this is the first "fanfiction" i've made so ✨ON WITH THE STORY HM?? 😤🤚

Vera wasn't one for new adventures. She liked her domesticated life before the sea. Having a beau, taking care of a child, a steady job that paid well. It was nice. Splendid even.

So, this first night in the mansion was what one would describe literal hell. Vera wasn't one to swear. Again she was a governess, around children. And Miss Brent would not approve. But nothing else could even imagine expressing this night.

She retired around 9, not wanting to stay to late, and honestly trying to avoid the judge. His offsetting glances made her feel uncomfortable and slightly vulnerable, seeing as everyone now knew she left Cyril to...die.

She flips on her bed rotating to see the clock. The large hand at the 2 and the smaller at the 3. 'Two fifteen in the morning, Lord Vera' she scolded herself.

Now turning again, she is staring at the big window with oh so light curtains covering the illuminance. The room was oddly happy considering the circumstances they were under. All murderers probably sent here to die. Maybe it IS actually hell.

Vera gives up. That's that. Resting is no longer an option for Vera she can't simply lie and sleep. She wanders around her room, probably bigger than her entire flat at home. Inspecting every single thing there is to offer. Paintings,knickknacks, the cracks at the wall. Anything to make the dreaded night and the crashing of the waves pass by faster.

She makes it around her whole room. Looking at the grandfather clock, it's only 5 til 3. Moonlight shone through the curtains and Vera was out her door. Walking around a public home in night clothing is probably repulsive and if Emily were to see her she would get an earful and a mouthful.

She made her way downstairs. Soon she hear creaking under every slight step she took. Cursing at the old home, she still allowed herself to step. Breathing in salty air she made it to her destination. Soldier Island was gloomy but she could find a rock to perch upon, at least till dawn break.

"It's late." she hears. It's a voice,obviously what else could it be. She turns her head to meet Andrew..no Allen...Anthony. Yes Marston. He sits across from her, in the sand and grass. Legs crossed,hands in his lap, reeking of alcohol. Probably that very expensive Brandy she saw.

"Anthony, dear you'll get your clothes dirty" Vera claimed. Which he would. But she could tell that he wouldn't mind nor care.

"I'm quite aware Miss Claythorne,"

"Then why are you doing it?"

"Because I can't simply come to care,"

'Bingo. He didn't care. Of course. Ruggedly handsome,charming personality, and a drunk. What every woman would ever look for.'

"I never drink this much,"
'yes, of course ugh. MEN.' Vera thought. "Armstrong said I should drink a little, live the life I'm probably not going to be living much longer, to not be a "cranker-blossom", he continued, "I shouldn't put so much trust on a man I've only met 8-10 hours ago but here I am."

"You are quite foolish. You're lucky I wasn't your governess. I would have scolded you into tomorrow,"

He chuckled. Letting out the breath that stank. It was bitter and at past three am She would rather not be smelling it.

They sat comfortably in silence. Anthony looking at Vera and Vera looking out to the sea. Vera was still unsure why he came out here with her. Why he wasn't mortified by her choice of clothing. But he gives her peace so she might as well deal with the thoughts.