25 ☆ star-crossed

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

STAR-CROSSED

"there's a word that describes the way they're at odds with each other, buried somewhere in a play from some muggle playwright from the 1500s

"there's a word that describes the way they're at odds with each other, buried somewhere in a play from some muggle playwright from the 1500s."

☆☆☆

For Eunbyeol, March passes quietly. Well, as quietly as it can. Between Professor Trelawney getting fired, Tony, Lee, and Angelina's birthdays, and O.W.L.s quickly approaching, it seems like a rather hectic month. She knows what people expect of her, of course—she stays a doting companion to her friends, a dutiful student to her teachers—but Eunbyeol keeps her head down otherwise. Above all the little roles she's been silently assigned, the role of a proper pureblood lady is her overarching station in life, so most of the time, she's silent and inoffensively polite. She knows her role and she plays it well.

Roles. Eunbyeol always feels as if she's playing a role, acting out some sort of persona that everyone expects from her. It isn't something she feels that she has the right to complain about. Everybody puts up a front and hides behind some contorted version of their true self, after all, but Eunbyeol can't seem to shake the feeling that nobody will ever see her for her. Blaise looks at her, sees someone useful. George looks at her, sees someone who's exceptional in every way that she isn't. Her parents look at her, see a mere extension to their bloodline.

She voices this concern to Draco one night in the vast, empty halls of Hogwarts. She tells him of her frustrations, how she doesn't want to be known as that one Asian Ravenclaw girl that isn't Cho Chang or that prodigal Potions student or that ballet dancing pureblooded girl. She just wants to be seen for what she is, wants to be seen as Eunbyeol. "What's wrong with people seeing you for more than what you are, though? Doesn't that just mean you have a lot of potential?" he asks her.

"No," she replies plaintively. "But maybe yes. It's easier to let people down when they expect so much from you, and that's a potential itself, I suppose."

He catches her by the wrist at the end of their prefect rounds and tells her in a voice that's almost pained, "I look at you and I see the stars, Eunbyeol." He tucks a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Is that really so bad?"

Her name does mean silver star, so maybe, just maybe, Draco Malfoy looks at her and sees nothing but Eunbyeol Moon.

She views Draco differently after that. It's like she's viewing him through the haze of a Supersensory Charm gone awry: she sees him in dizzying clarity, but the lines of what he is to her are blurry. She thinks about what Blaise had told her that night Harry's interview came out, what he had said about hurting Draco. She doesn't really get it, but it's not like the meaning is completely lost on her. She's against Umbridge, which means she, to some extent, is against Draco. There's a term that aptly describes the way they're at odds with each other, a word buried somewhere in a play from some muggle playwright from the 1500s. Star-crossed, Eunbyeol thinks it was.