24 ☆ an awfully confusing girl

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

AN AWFULLY CONFUSING GIRL

"eunbyeol's naivety made her an awfully confusing person to figure out, really

"eunbyeol's naivety made her an awfully confusing person to figure out, really. how was someone so intelligent so oblivious?"

☆☆☆

Eunbyeol's sitting in the Three Broomsticks and leaning against George Weasley's side, laughing so hard her ears are going red.

Draco folds his arms and scowls at the sight of her, with her sky blue pullover and the pink fur-lined tiara on her head. The words BIRTHDAY GIRL! are sparkling over her head and he reckons that Weasley's never looked so pleased in his life. "Wipe that look off of your face, mate," drawls Blaise from beside him. "She's not gonna snog you if you have the frown lines of a forty year old man."

"I don't want to snog her," Draco mutters back.

Blaise snorts. "You've been spending this week moping about because she hasn't spoken to you. Of course you want to snog her." This was true. Eunbyeol had spent the better part of the week busy with friends and schoolwork. She breezed through Valentine's Day with a notable amount of nonchalance, Blaise had thought, avoiding the blushing boys and chocolates in a certain air of innocence, a type of ignorance that only Eunbyeol could make charming. Even today, despite the couples packed into The Three Broomsticks and the way George Weasley is staring at her, she seems unbothered. Blaise wondered about the girl's oblivious a lot, about whether her naivety was genuine or not. It's impressive one way or another—she's either managed to stay sheltered from teenage hormones or she's managed to manipulate everyone into thinking that she was. Eunbyeol's naivety made her an awfully confusing person to figure out, really. How was someone so intelligent so oblivious? Blaise thinks it's the type of flaw that she had to have, because if Eunbyeol Moon was exceptional in almost every way: academically, visually, magically. If she was actually aware of her potential, she'd have been a very dangerous individual. Her lack of awareness is what makes her rather popular among the boys of Hogwarts, though Blaise personally thinks she comes off as dense rather than charming. To each their own, he supposes. "Why do you like her so much, anyway?" Draco shoots him a look and he shrugs. "I'm just curious. She's fit, sure, but there are loads of pretty girls in Hogwarts."

Draco's silent for a long while. If Blaise concentrates hard enough, he can hear Eunbyeol's giggling at some stupid joke Lee Jordan has made. "She gets it, you know?" Draco finally says. "The entire pureblood thing. The dissatisfaction and the pressure and the crazy fucking parents. She lives with it. She knows it's like a cage and that she can't really break out but despite all of that, she's still so good. Like, genuinely optimistic and kind, mate. The first time we had prefect rounds together, she apologized to me because she thought her family had upset mine." He pauses, lets out a derisive laugh. "If anything, I upset her with my stupid questions about Cedric Diggory and love. She knows when I'm being a git and she'll actually tell me when she thinks so. Yeah, she's smart and yeah, she's really fucking fit, but I like her because she cares."