A Fencing Lesson

The following days after I found out that I have been reincarnated as one of the lead protagonists of the book that was meant to educate young nobles, I focused on observing the palace, preparing myself for the day the story will start.

Namely, the arrival of the small Royal Tutor, Heine Wittgenstein.

But first, my schedule tells me that it is time for fencing lessons.

"Prince Leonhard!" A maid calls out to me from outside my room.

"Coming!" I shout in reply, fixing my bangs and adjusting my uniform.

It was never mentioned in Royal Tutor, but apparently Leonhard was friends with the maids, said maids finding him endearing. It was never seen in the book though. I wonder what happened?

"-ince Leonhard? Are you listening?" I jolt in surprise when the maid, whose name is Alina, tapped my shoulder gently.

"Ah! I'm very sorry, can you repeat what you said?" I sheepishly smiled.

Alina sighed in fond exasperation. "I was just tellling his highness that after breakfast, you are to attend Herr Ester's fencing lessons. Then you are expected to greet and attend to Duke Weytler's daughter, Lotte. Your father sincerely requests that you don't skip anything, especially the visit of Lady Lotte."

"Is she one of the candidates to be my betrothed?" I ask the maid, who was shocked at my question.

She sighs in sadness and hangs her head. "I was hoping to not inform you of that, my prince. But yes, if the two of you take to each other, then your father shall arrange the both of you to be engaged."

Well, that is no surprise. What was weird was the fact that at the books, Leonhard had said that he never had an arrangement. Most likely, there were plans, but the ladies that Leo met did not take to him and the plans were cancelled. I never even knew whether Leo was arranged with someone, since the series was still ongoing by the time I died. I wished I knew what was the Professor's past, he said that he tried to kill the king when he was young, and the volume ended there.

After we walked through various corridors, we finally arrived at the dining room.

"I shall leave you here, your highness." Alina bowed. "I shall return thirty minutes later to lead you to the fencing hall."

"I understand, Alina. Thank you." I smile gratefully at the maid.

I nod at the guards, who turned the knobs and opened the door, finding Father, Grandmother, Kai and Bruno already inside and eating.

"Good morning everyone." I smile smoothly, skipping- mimicking Leo's behavior- to the table, pulling back the chair before any maid can, and plopping at the seat, finally letting one of the maids push my chair closer to the table, since my short legs have yet to reach the floor, dangling just above it.

"Good morning, Leo." Father smiles. "Energetic as always, I see."

"Yes, I did hear that aside from my fencing classes today, Lady Lotte is going to be visiting." I smile back, beginning to eat my breakfast.

"Ah, they already informed you of that?" Father tilts his head. "Also, I assumed that you would be less than enthused due to the news. If I may, what changed?"

Ah yes, Leonhard was less than trusting of others due to that blasted tutor. Well, I just need to channel my utmost court mask for this conversation.

I smiled brightly. "Well, I figured that I should start carrying my weight as a royal, instead of treating people badly. My past experiences may be a reason, but it is no excuse for my behavior."