Chapter 12 - Hell's Gate

Start from the beginning

"I don't know." She lies.

"She's colourblind. Possibly paralyzed." Raven seethes in fear the way I say it so casually. It's like reading a file, a criminal could do the worst thing but I have to read it like normal. Can't let a weakness get to me.

"How do you just... know all of this? I don't understand." She presses a fingertip to her temple, stressed. "There is a lot of things that I know that you don't."

"Go for it. Blow my mind."

I smile at her. "I'm the only one with a directive regarding you and Claire. There are still hundreds of officers trying to take your guys' claims separately."

Raven blinks slowly, trying to process it. "What are you saying? You'll get more money than them?"

"Of course, but I'm just saying that it is not only me who is trying to get your heads." I smile, seeing the horror unfold on her face. I'm believing that she thought everyone gave up on trying to get them because I was a variable in the game, or because I was in the game.

"Why do you look so shocked?" I ask her and she comes back to me. "No reason. I just didn't realize we were that famous." She shrugs casually, trying to brush it off, clearly.

"Raven you are allowed to admit you're scared—"

"Don't act like you care about me, or her for that matter."

"I'm not as careless as you may think!" I shout, splaying my hands out, tightening my gloves again because they felt loose. "Really? How am I supposed to believe that?"

"I brought her to you. Safe and sound."

"Bringing her to me, and coming to me with her unconscious in the backseat are two very different things!" Raven places her hands on her hips, angrily.

I see where she's coming from, but I cannot say she was unconscious. She was pale, passing out, sure, but she was still awake.

"I'm coming with you two." The scoff she lets out almost makes me laugh. "Where?"

"Your next robbery." I deadpan and her brows go flying. "What, think we need some moral support? You wanna write down some tips to tell all of the journalists when we get arrested by you?"

I'm chuckling. "You have a very nice sense of humor. But no, I'm a protection magnet. After all, you two are my mission, and I definitely worry about your safety."

"Your sarcasm almost makes me smile." She frowns dramatically. "I'm serious. Nothing is going to happen to Claire." I shake my head and she lifts hers higher in offence.

"And what about me? Gonna save the day for me too or come wearing leather boots?"

"You're a variable, Raven," I roll my eyes, stopping myself from face palming. "They want you but not as bad as her."

"Okay, what's the police hype about her? Although I'm slightly grateful, why is it always Claire this, Claire that, prevent this..." Raven asks, plopping to the grassy ground and resting against the tree.

"Because she's the branch and influence worldwide," I explain, trying not to spoil the entire thing, "Arresting you would be chopping down the trunk. Getting her would kill the roots."