Chapter 6: Unfortunate news... or is it?

Comenzar desde el principio

-

As I lay across the chair on my balcony outside my room reading one of the new books I got from the library, I heard someone from downstairs yell for me. At first I didn't hear him since I was so lost in my book, but then I got up and headed downstairs to where I heard the voice coming from. Josh, Max, and Tyler were the only ones home besides me at the moment, but the other boys would be home soon for dinner.  I walked into the kitchen, and Holly followed closely at my heels. 

"There's something in the mail for you," Josh said pointing at the stack of mail at the edge of the counter. Huh, my first ever piece of mail at my second home. It was from the state government of where my home was. 

"Thanks, I wonder what it is," I said starting to open it. 

"Miss Annabelle Lancaster, it is with heavy hearts that we must inform you this. The property in which your family owned was demolished in the large wild fires that our state has been facing, as well as most Rapid City. Your family members have been informed of this as well. 

The Rapid City health department has announced that it is dangerous to be in the vicinity as heaps of ashes and smoke remain. We require that you stay with your foster residence until all damaged properties in Rapid City are repaired which will take approximately 4 months. If the persons you are staying with are not able to have you stay during that time, you must contact the S.D.N.D.D. within the next week so you can be relocated. 

Your legal/parental guardians will remain where they are until everyone is allowed to return to Rapid City. Until then, as a minor, you will continue the education process in the district that you are staying in currently. 

Again, we send our deepest regards and are sorry for the loss of your property and town until it all repairs are made.  We wish you good luck as well as you begin the school year in a different area. 

Sincerely,

The South Dakota Natural Disasters Department"

I covered my mouth with my hand after gasping. Josh looked up from his phone. "What is it? What does it say?" he asked. 

I was in shock. I knew the fires were close enough that I had to evacuate but not close enough to destroy my house and ultimately the town I grew up in... my home. My eyes started watering and I didn't want anyone to see me cry, so I ran out of the kitchen and up to my room. Right as I ran from the living room and up the stairs crying, Blake and Ash walked in to see me running away with tears in my eyes. 

"Woah, what... Annabelle?" they were not expecting that sight walking in the house, which just made me run faster. As soon as I reached my room, I closed my door and jumped onto my bed. I threw the letter on the floor and covered my face with my pillow.

I can't believe it, my own home. So many memories were made there. I grew up there. That place always has and always been special to me. I thought of the great oak tree in my backyard with the wooden swing that has been there for generations. I remembered the neighborhood park where I learned how to ride a bike. And all of it - burned. Gone. It's all in ashes. They are going to rebuild it, but it will never be the same again. That old oak tree will be replaced, but it'll never be there again. What about the town animal shelter? Are the animals okay? My old school building is burned down too, including every locker I've ever decorated, every desk I've ever used- gone. I cried harder and was even really shaky now.

 I reached for my phone and called my best friend Keira from home. 

"Did you get the letter yet?" I asked as soon as she picked up the phone.