[chapter 6] A Thing Called Bravery

Start from the beginning

   Sam and I headed to work right after breakfast. I knew we were going to be a little late, and knowing Stan, he'd be counting every second we were late. Although this was mostly my business, Stan made sure to keep me aligned in tip top shape.

"You're five minutes and thirty-six seconds late you two!" Stan shouted as we walked out of the elevator.

"Oh boo hoo. We're here now! That's all that's important." Sam said. "You forget to tell us how many miliseconds." Sam chuckled.

   I tuned out Sam and Stan's conversation. As of right now, I had to mentally prep myself for my phone call with Janie. I walked into my office almost staggering in. Why was I so nervous? My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty, and I could barely breathe. I sat in my chair and opened up my day planner. I took a deep breath and picked up the phone. I saw someone in the doorway. It was Sam, giving me a thumbs up. I cracked a smile. I dialled Janie's number. This is it... The phone rang, and rang, and rang, until someone eventually picked up.

   "Hello?" the feminine voice said. I sighed with relief. Thank GOD it wasn't Nate!

"Janie? It's Josie from J&S Weddings." My heart skipped a beat.

"Oh hey Josie!" It sounded like she was trying to inform someone near her of whom she was talking to, hence the extension on the word 'hey', and emphasis on 'Josie'. "How have you been?" She asked politely.

"I've been good. Could have been better. Did you enjoy your weekend?" Wow Josie! Couldn't think of anything more business related to say?

"My weekend was fantastic!" There was a silence for about three seconds.

"So Janie, the reason that I'm calling is because I'd be honoured to plan your wedding. That is if you didn't already find someone else." Another pause. "Nate's a dear friend of mine, and I want the best for you two." Another three second pause.

"Sure Josie! We actually have been struggling to find another planner. Thank God you pulled through!" Janie said. Pulled through? Did she think I was sick or something?

"Well, if you two aren't busy today, I'd like to have you both in for a consultation this afternoon. I've had a couple of cancellations so I'm free at two." I swallowed hard. It felt like I had a giant lump of coal lodged in my throat. My heart started beating faster. I hope I didn't sound like I was breathing heavy over the phone.

"Two seems fine. Is there anything we need?" she asked.

"Just yourselves, any wedding ideas, and any personal recommendations." I replied back.

"Alright, we'll see you then! Thanks again JoJo!" With that, she hung up.

"JoJo!?" I shouted. "The nerve!" Sam came in quickly.

"So, what happened? Are you planning?" Sam asked anxiously.

"JoJo!" I shouted. Sam looked puzzled. I could hear Stan laughing from the other room.

"STANLEY! GET YOUR ASS IN HERE!" I shouted. I could still hear Stan laughing as he walked into my office.

"Honey buns, I promise it wasn't me!" He said still giggling. Sam still looked puzzled.

"Who's JoJo?" she asked. Stan burst out laughing.

"Sam, if you want to save yourself right about now, I'd stop saying the double J word right away!" Stan giggled. "It was a terrible nickname that people used to call her. She hated it, and I guess she still does."

"That snake! He's going to drive me to drink!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, how I can smell the sweet scent of rivalry!" Stan said. We both knew it must have been Nate who told Janie about the nickname. Who else would it have been? The only people who knew about the  nickname, besides the people who used to call her that, was Stan and Nate.

"Oh, if he wants rivalry, he'll get rivalry." I said furiously.

"Woah! Get back JoJo!" Stan howled. My face grew red with anger.

"NOT funny!" I said furiously.

"Oh honey! You know I'm teasing you!" Stan giggled.

"Stan, fuck off. You're really REALLY getting on my nerves." Stan's face went from giddy high school girl, to extremely serious. He quickly left.

"Jo, you know you better apologise to Stan." Sam said sincerely.

"He should know better not to get on my nerves! He's been doing that so much lately! To him, it's teasing. To me, it makes me grow grey hair." Sam gave me that look that said 'go apologise now!' I sighed and got up off my chair. I grabbed a rose from the flower pot in the front lobby. I knocked on his office door.

"Stan?" I called.

"So NOW you want to talk to me?" he said harshly.

    I've been friends with Stan since high school. No one really accepted him since we was openly gay. I felt bad for him one day at lunch because he was sitting all alone. He turned out to be a funny, sweet, loyal, and sincere guy. If only straight guys were like that! We both discovered that we wanted to do the same thing; wedding planning. We attended school together, and started our own business. He didn't want the full business so he just became my partner. And that's where we get J&S Weddings.

"I'm sorry Stan. You just got me so worked up." I said apologetically. I handed him the rose.

"Did you pick this from the lobby you sneak?" Stan giggled. "I'm only trying to prepare you for the road ahead. You can't let something as simple as the name JoJo bother you. You don't know what you'll be up against. That guy has a chunk of your life history, and he's not afraid to use it! You know what I say, fight fire with fire! Be the bitch once in a while!" I smiled. I knew Stan would be forgiving. He always was. And he's right. I couldn't let something so small like a pet name bother me. Nate has better weapons to throw at me.

"Oh come here you!" he said. He got up and gave me a hug. Stan was one of my best friends. He always looked out for me. He was such a brotherly figure. We went through the best years of our lives together, and we still are; working together, doing a job we love, having our own business which we though was impossible, and both single and looking.

"You better start getting ready for your consultation with Janie and Nate." Stan suggested. "You need a game plan."